Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #46
davolarcini
Earning My Ears

Starjazz, I hope I didn't offend you. My point to this whole post was just this... Couldn't there be a reason for Marvel in the Parks?

I think I must've written that reply in a really bad mood. I realized shortly after I wrote it that that is in the categories you put each individual one in.

I have two girls (19 and 16) and two boys (12 and 7). The 16-year-old girl waited in line to see Tinkerbell and have her picture taken with them mind you she is 6 foot tall at 16. She want's to identify with Tinkerbell she loves the whole concept and that is one of her wish fulfillment things. My boys love Star Wars they so enjoy that the parks and I would hate to hear people thinking it doesn't fit when he clearly doesn't my mind.

As far as Disneyland resort having room for another part it seems like there are always rumors about it but I don't know the actual status. I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to get the land in that area though.
davolarcini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #47
bcla
DIS Veteran

I dunno. I recently saw something from DC Comics for Valentine's Day showing Superman making out with Wonder Woman. I guess a little superhero romance might be trying to straddle the divide.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #48
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post

BTW, where would DLR open up another park? Is it even possible to build another park in the middle of a city?
The Toy Story parking lot has already been earmarked as the location of a future park. It is big enough to hold a park slightly larger than DCA.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #49
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

The idea bothers me, I have to admit. One of the things about it that I dislike is the idea of opening a whole land dedicated to Marvel or Star Wars. OP, I realize that you didn't propose this.

Disney just added a whole new land...Carsland...that is, IMO, predominantly aimed at boys. I think we overload kids (and adults!) with competition, winning, and battles. I *love* that DL has historically tried to have a well-rounded expression of wonder, magic, imagination and adventure that doesn't rely solely on winning or fighting. Sure, those things are incorporated into it, but that's not what the main theme is about. DLR provides magical animals, fairytale characters, adventures into exotic places, and peeks at history that inspire creative thought. I like the mixture of fun, fairies, music, fighting, racing, romance and magic. I don't like the idea of that mixture skewing toward a more one-dimensional approach.

I don't know if this makes much sense, as I can't even figure out how to explain it to myself!

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #50
davolarcini
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
I think we overload kids (and adults!) with competition, winning, and battles.!
Tell that to the wenches in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I kid

I know Cars Land is aimed at boys and somehow this got into 'lets defend that DLR has stuff for boys'

My point wasn't that it was bereft of things for males...my point was that Superheroes, to me, fill the same wish fulfillment that princesses and fairies do to little girls.

btw's, bring on the 3rd park!!
davolarcini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #51
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolarcini View Post
Tell that to the wenches in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I kid

I know Cars Land is aimed at boys and somehow this got into 'lets defend that DLR has stuff for boys'

My point wasn't that it was bereft of things for males...my point was that Superheroes, to me, fill the same wish fulfillment that princesses and fairies do to little girls.

btw's, bring on the 3rd park!!
I have enjoyed all your posts but I really think the Marvel fans are just too few compared to others. As I said earlier, where I grew up wish fulfillment in sports was much larger than superheroes. I suspect if one polled society you will find many more boys want to be sports stars than superheroes.

Heck, Disney owned the Angels baseball franchise for awhile! They could have kept that and worked in sports wish fulfillment. And Disney made the Mighty Ducks movie. I can't think off the top of my head how many sports movies they have made over the years. All areas for potential theme park synergies???

Davo, I think I will agree with you - with a smile - that maybe your idea here is too geeky for the masses. Superheroes do not have the larger popular appeal as do other avenues of wish fulfillment for boys.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #52
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolarcini View Post
Starjazz, I hope I didn't offend you.
Bah! I'm not THAT thin skinned. No worries, friend.
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #53
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
I have enjoyed all your posts but I really think the Marvel fans are just too few compared to others. As I said earlier, where I grew up wish fulfillment in sports was much larger than superheroes. I suspect if one polled society you will find many more boys want to be sports stars than superheroes.
I agree that there seem to be few Marvel fans on this board. But do you know who is not on this board? Kids, especially boys, between the ages of 10 and 20.

We old fogies on here (old fogie being anyone over 25) have one view of Marvel. The kids have a different view - a view based on the recent explosion of movies, most of which have been enormous blockbusters. And more are coming

If one considers that the children are the future (of people who will pay to visit theme parks) and that corporate synergy is the present, of course Disney has to incorporate Marvel into the theme parks. That's why Thor was there last fall (his movie opened November 8) and Captain America will be there this spring (movie opening April 4).
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #54
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
I agree that there seem to be few Marvel fans on this board. But do you know who is not on this board? Kids, especially boys, between the ages of 10 and 20.

We old fogies on here (old fogie being anyone over 25) have one view of Marvel. The kids have a different view - a view based on the recent explosion of movies, most of which have been enormous blockbusters. And more are coming

If one considers that the children are the future (of people who will pay to visit theme parks) and that corporate synergy is the present, of course Disney has to incorporate Marvel into the theme parks. That's why Thor was there last fall (his movie opened November 8) and Captain America will be there this spring (movie opening April 4).
Well as I alluded to earlier in this thread I have three sons in the 10-20 age range and one in his early 20's. Yes they like the crop of Iron Man, Thor and Captain America movies. I never remember seeing them pretend to be superheroes growing up. Never came close to caring about reading a comic book. Whereas Star Wars Jedi knights? That was daily with them and their friends.

On the other hand my sons were not as much into sports as I was growing up.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #55
seagodess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is very well said. While many dont think Marval and/or Star Wars fits well in DL, the children may not agree. To the kids (mine at least), DL is a fun place that has cool rides, characters they love and all kinds of awesome things.

I personally am not a huge super hero fan. In fact I never even heard of half of them until I got with DH. We now have an almost 7yr old DS who lives and breaths super heros. He has the action figures, legos, bedding, posters, puzzles, books and whatever else you can think of that has super heros on it. We have almost 500 movies. Give him a choice of what to watch and 99% of the time it will be a super hero movie. His friends and cousins are all the same way for the most part. DS and my nephers were really excited to hear that captain america will be there when we visit. DS is SOOOOO excited to see the iron man suits. He think he is going to buy one .

March 2005- 1st DL trip. My Honey Moon
May 2012- DS's 1st DL trip and 5th Birthday- Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2934231)
March 2014- Trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3256794)
seagodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #56
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:

I think OP and I are of a rare breed... we love both Disney and superheroes. From this quote I'm considered an old fogie (37 ) and within my group of around 10 male friends, 9/10 of us are Marvel fans and 2/10 are Disney fans. So in that sense, maybe the majority of DISers are right in to want to keep Marvel out of the park. However, that may bring another influx of people into to the parks... maybe the way WWOHP did for Universal (would be good for Disney but bad for the regulars.) Thinking that way, I think Disney can hold off with Marvel for awhile.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #57
nana50
DIS Veteran

I just got back from DL with a 13 year old boy, two 10 year old girls and two 6 year old boys. Everyone had so much fun. One of the favorites.......pirate's lair, a boy's paradise. They loved Pirate's of the Caribbean of course. We stopped at the store outside the ride and bought pirate stuff. I don't remember anyone saying DL was too girly. My grand daughters are well past the princess stage. The boys love star wars and I'm all for doing a few things in Tomorrowland. I really dislike the marvel comics though and feel they do not belong at Disney. I don't know why and can't put my finger on it. Star Wars seems perfect though. They REALLY need to do something with Tomorrowland.

I think maybe Marvel seems to be too much about fighting. I know Star Wars and all those cowboy movies do too. It just feels wrong to me though.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #58
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

ive been reading this off and on . i for one want a marvel park, i like star wars too i think for Disney to keep up and profit they do need to get in to many different theams, boys and girls love the superheros also id much rather go to Disney than universal so if they had the marvel park it does compete with universal and others.

i don't think it will take from disney, a new park yes, spider man on main street no.

hurt hand today so this is a quickly reply in few days may add longer one
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #59
VirtualFan
Earning My Ears

Star Wars yes, Marvel meh

I think the long term future of Tomorrowland is best envisioned by using an existing franchise and I think Star Wars would fit perfectly in that location. Realistically, trying to paint a vision of the future that will stand the test of time will be doomed to failure. No matter how cool it looks when it is initially released, it will eventually feel quite dated as Tomorrowland looks currently. Look at any older Sci-fi movie that tried to predict the look and feel of the future and you'll find the vast majority failed miserably. Instead of looking futuristic, they instead look cheesy.

That's the same problem Tomorrowland faces currently. Although some fans of Tomorrowland enjoy that retro futuristic look, it just looks dated and misplaced to me. Long term, I think the best solution would be to theme it with an existing property like Star Wars. It doesn't try to predict a future, just a different place somewhere in the universe. As Disney now owns the rights and plan on continuing to release future versions of Star Wars, I feel they could do a pretty amazing job of recreating Tomorrowland in the vision of the Star Wars universe and I think it would stand the test of time much longer than a modernization of the current version of Tomorrowland.

As for Marvel, I'm much less interested in what that property can offer the park. When I think of super hero rides, I think of roller coasters at Six Flags. I'm not sure where they would fit in Disneyland, but I could see California Adventure creating a space for them and doing a much better job than Six Flags at creating a Super Hero themed land.
VirtualFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #60
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

I just want to throw this out there, are you all referring to Tomorrowland in DL? Because, I think the Tomorrowland in WDW is awesome. I don't care how retro it looks, that's part of the charm.

From what I've heard, Tomorrowland in DL has gone through some changes that left it looking kind of crappy? If so, is it too late to restore it to a previous model? No matter how much I love Star Wars, there's no way I would be comfortable with "Tomorrowland" being forever changed into "Star Wars Land." That is too much a drastic change for a beloved, well known land of the most famous theme park in the world (speaking of both DL and the MK.)

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: