Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #31
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSOGfam View Post
I think part of the problem is that a majority of the marketing is teaching kids they should be princesses or pirates without a lot in the middle.
I would put it differently that they are teaching kids to use their imagination. It is something where the American culture excels and helps us in countless ways including technological innovation and the arts.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #32
davolarcini
Earning My Ears

I want to thank everyone for their replies...I love open forums, especially respectful thoughts...

That being said, this issue of gender I think has spun further out of control than I thought logically tied to what my original thought was. But that might have been my mistake, that might be the natural progression from what I said.

Me and my kids love DLR, or I wouldn't be on a site like this, talking about it. I have two older girls (19 and 16) and two boys (12 and 7). The boys love the parks. But did they love Cars, sure. Did they love Star Tours, you bet. Did they love Jedi Academy, no, because they weren't picked, but we went three times to try....so really they loved it.

My point wasn't that there isn't any thing in DLR for boys....my point was that the imagination play time before and after the parks is never, I'm Winnie the Pooh,....no its my turn..you got to be him last time....Fine then I'm Dumbo....

My point was the wish identification isn't as strong with boys. But the Superheroes and Star Wars does provide that.

The other point that I haven't seen anyone argue or even face, Walt Disney's quote about Disneyland never being finished...only requirement is imagination.

Now I understand there are some that aren't purist, that don't want to see super heroes, because they don't get them. But there are some of us that don't get Pocahontas or why Abraham Lincoln is in the park...but just because that's our opinion doesn't mean that we should ban others..

On the ride/gender identification....
How did Splash Mountain become boys and Matterhorn Nuetral?
How is Dumbo boys?
How is Bambi (the anti-hunting and guns movie) become boys?

I think you made decisions based on the outcome you wanted....I want as many or more boy rides/movies than girl...Abracadabra....LOOK....I am kidding, I just disagree.

But on the issue of AUTOPIA.....anyone who thinks that fun is wrong, wait is that an opinion? probably.

Last time there my 6 year old rode with me and the 11 year old drove himself. As I am enjoying the 'fresh air' (sarcasm intended) and getting annoyed I started to develop road rage for the bad/slow driver in front of me. I started my muttering and grumbling, then a hairpin turn comes up and the driver turns and is heading toward us....its my 11 year old....road rage replaced by embarrassed laugh.
davolarcini is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #33
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolarcini View Post

My point wasn't that there isn't any thing in DLR for boys....my point was that the imagination play time before and after the parks is never, I'm Winnie the Pooh,....no its my turn..you got to be him last time....Fine then I'm Dumbo....

My point was the wish identification isn't as strong with boys.
Well as I mentioned I still do not agree with this.

Just look the four original "Lands" of DL.

- AdventureLand
- FrontierLand
- FantasyLand
- TomorrowLand

AdventureLand and FrontierLand appealed more to boys and their imagination.

FantasyLand arguably appealed more to girls.

TomorrowLand arguably appealed more to boys.

To some degree I am equating imagination to your term wish identification. Boys wish they were on an adventure in a jungle, or wish they were pirates, or wish they were Indiana Jones exploring strange corners of the world. They wish they were in the old west on the frontier. They wish they were flying through space to other worlds.

Even in FantasyLand there are chances for boys to identify with being a knight in shining armor or the adventure of NeverLand.

Quote:

But the Superheroes and Star Wars does provide that.
I agree they provide it also. Especially Star Wars.

But maybe I am going back to my boyhood and while I watched Batman, Superman and Spiderman on TV, I never wished to be a superhero. They were not real people - except for Batman I guess.

I would identify way more with just plain heroes who were in some way mortal like me. The Star Wars heroes are people. No superpowers needed except for "The Force" which was not a super power but an extension of something natural (think Yoda).

I remember thinking at 14 years old when I saw Star Wars for the first time that it was just a western movie set in space. I loved westerns and loved Star Wars. For the same reasons.

I suppose you or others can argue I am out of touch in a way from my own boyhood experience and that of my own four sons but IMO Star Wars is a hundred or a thousand times more impactful on boys than Marvel superheroes.

Quote:
The other point that I haven't seen anyone argue or even face, Walt Disney's quote about Disneyland never being finished...only requirement is imagination.

Now I understand there are some that aren't purist, that don't want to see super heroes, because they don't get them. But there are some of us that don't get Pocahontas or why Abraham Lincoln is in the park...but just because that's our opinion doesn't mean that we should ban others..
Yes DL is never finished but that does not mean that anything that involves imaginations fits.

I mean one of my big points of imagination and "wish identification" as a boy was with sports. I wished I could play baseball in the major leagues. Among me and my friends wish identification and pretending we were Steve Garvey or Johnny Bench or OJ Simpson was huge. Way, way, WAY huger in my neighborhood than with superheroes.

Does that mean that somehow that element of boy imagination should be part of a Disney park? How about a new land at DLR or WDW? SportsLand? Where boys can pretend they are sports stars?

I will be the first to admit that to my mind that does not fit with DL. It fits on Little League and Pop Warner fields around the country.

Similarly, the feel I have had about Disney parks since I was three years old does not "fit" with Superheroes. It is not about being purist. It is about being a cultural fit.

All of that is not to say I identify with everything in Disney parks. But heck I do not identify with everything in American culture either. But there are some things that I can see how they are part of our culture even though I do not identify personally, then there are other things that do not fit at all with American culture in the first place. Those are two different things.

Quote:

How is Dumbo boys?
The PP who created this list was using a broad brush to make a point and not to try and write something that was 100% defensible. I think his point was valid and it resonates with my nearly 50 years experience with Disney that they have just as strong an appeal to boys as to girls - if not stronger.

I think your point has been the need for more boy oriented rides and themes and stories because they are lacking at Disney parks. I am saying that sounds very odd to me as I have never felt that way in nearly 50 years and thus disagree from my personal experience with your fundamental thesis on this.

It does not mean Disney is complete and should do nothing more oriented towards boys. By all means do it. But I do not think they should do it for reasons of somehow having been lacking in the past or present.

And I do think they need to make careful it fits.

Moreover, Disney realized this when they built DCA. They wanted it to be more edgy. To appeal to a little older crowd. Heck, alcohol is served at DCA. It fits there but it does not fit at DL. So rather than force alcohol into DL they built another park and made it fit. And to me it does.

Superheroes may need to go that direction as I said in my first post. I am not sure how popular it would be if they built a superheroes park. But if they wanted a place to put it then a separate park would be the place.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #34
MaloCS
Earning My Ears

I love the idea of Star Wars or Marvel taking over Tomorrowland. Just like an old forest that has outgrown it's productivity, Tomorrowland needs to be burned down and allowed to start anew.

I love the idea of turning Tomorrowland into Star Wars land but I'll take Marvel land in a heartbeat. I agree with the original poster that having attractions that cater to boys would be a huge positive.
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #35
davolarcini
Earning My Ears

Hydroguy,

I love your responses, I don't entirely agree with them but I love them.

I think it's interesting that Star Wars is more widely accepted by DIS'ers than Marvel is. I grew up on both (in the 70's and 80's). I am a very typical geek...every thing from sci-fi, fantasy, superheroes, dungeons and dragons, you name it....even fantasy football.

I think it comes down to exposure. Superheroes, were something I identified with and enjoyed. But I am wondering now if I was the exception more than the rule.

Sure people watched cartoons, and maybe the cartoons and the bad live action shows, maybe that is one of the reasons the majority of the people don't want to see it in the parks. Maybe it's the perception of the poor quality.

Surely Indiana Jones is in no way shape or form, Disney...except that is well known and of great quality.

Marvel Superheroes were cheesy at times, at least the mass produced ones in cartoons and things like Batman and Robin...but the ones I read were deep, filled with relate-able challenges and sympathetic social problems. Their triumphs gave me hope, but the one's I am talking about were the ones from comic books, not the Saturday morning cartoons. Maybe if more saw the quality of story and imagination, it wouldn't look like it was out of place....at least for me it looks completely in place....although I think it fits better at DCA than DL

That said, I love how many people think Star Wars belongs or would fit at least. I love that some of my geek favorites fit somewhere, fill a little social validation.

Hydroguy, you said that the superheroes weren't a 'cultural fit'....what does that mean to you? Is there anything at all in the parks that you feel isn't a good cultural fit?

To the purist out there, I would be glad to see Superheroes and Star Wars out of DL and DCA if DLR would just work on a 3rd park that featured them,...now that's my idea of wish fulfillment...I would come just to see those.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #36
Dukland
A.K.A Mrs. Incredible

Well, my 10 year old son loves Disney and always has. But his biggest obsession has always been Spiderman. He is excited that Disney now owns Marvel and often says, "I hope Disneyland gets Spiderman at the park! Wouldn't that be cool?!?"

And this is coming from a kid with Aspergers who took a long time learning to talk. When he was 2.5 years he knew only a few words, but he surprised me by coming up with a new word at Disneyland. Buzz. And he wanted to see Buzz and get his autograph with a passion!!

We followed Buzz for over an hour, trying to get his autograph. At one point they "replaced" him with a "new" Buzz. The new Buzz wasn't doing autographs, but wanted to dance in Tomorrowland. My son kept grabbing his autograph book and holding it out to Buzz while Buzz was dancing.

On another visit, when that son was older, my youngest was about 2.5. He watched his brother, and later both brother and big sister, "fight" Darth Vader and Darth Maul. (My poor daughter was put against Darth Maul and when he came toward her she was terrified Poor sweetie) My youngest son is now 7. We haven't been back to Disneyland since that visit when he was 2.5. And all he wants to do is defeat Darth Vader and go see Cars Land. He would love to see Marvel heroes, too, especially Iron Patriot, and he hopes Dusty, from Planes, is there, too.

Given little boys' (and big boys!) love of both Marvel and Star Wars, Disney would be stupid to not capitalize on that. And we know Disney will do every decent thing they can do to earn money at their parks.

I don't think Tomorrowland should be taken over by Star Wars, either, but there is a lot of room for Star Wars to have lots of space for really cool and appealing stuff.

And I'm sure Marvel can be incorporated into the park, too. Perhaps there is more room for Marvel at California Adventure, rather than Disneyland?

We haven't been there in so long Dh is finally talking about a trip down there again. I really want my youngest to get a visit in before he's much older.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #37
HydroGuy

Quote:
Hydroguy,

Surely Indiana Jones is in no way shape or form, Disney...except that is well known and of great quality.
How is Indiana Jones any less of a fit than POTC or JC? They are adventure. Immersive. To my mind Indy is the exact type of ride that fits in Adventureland. I mean how is Indy less of a fit than Tower of Terror? ToT tells a rich, immersive story. Brilliant.

Quote:
Hydroguy,

Hydroguy, you said that the superheroes weren't a 'cultural fit'....what does that mean to you?
Hard to define but I know it when I see it. I think one element is what I said before. Superpowers. Disney tends to be about real people with real issues and real limitations. Superhero powers seems like cheating.

Also there is often a sense of family and personal connection. Superheroes are not real people and not someone you can relate to. They are kind of non-human.

The only thing I can think where Disney approaches this is with The Incredibles movie. But one thing that made it work was the family. While they had superpowers they seemed very human at the same time. And Disney has not built any rides based on The Incredibles. Why?

Quote:
Hydroguy,

Is there anything at all in the parks that you feel isn't a good cultural fit?
Sure. Paradise Pier and the carnival games at DCA is a jarring lack of cultural fit. AK at WDW has something kind of similar in DinoLand.

CA Screamin does not tell a story. It is just a ride. It does not really fit at a Disney park unless Disney goes Six Flags on us.

At DL I cannot think of anything. I think everything they do there fits.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #38
Nosepass
Earning My Ears

Star Wars in Tomorrowland is a good idea, it fits the atmosphere of TL while diversifying the park's offerings in general.

Marvel feels a little.... I dunno, cheap? Not very Disney magic, to say the least.
Nosepass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #39
LizzyS
Mouseketeer

I love how people are always complaining about Tomorrowland and acting like they should scrap it entirely and start all over, forgetting the best ride in the park sits in the back: SPACE MOUNTAIN.

It's not even my favorite, but that's the best ride to be had at Disneyland.

1st ever trip to Disneyland: November 5th, 2011

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #40
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosepass View Post
Marvel feels a little.... I dunno, cheap? Not very Disney magic, to say the least.
I was thinking something very similar to this. Marvel feels very "Walmart-ish" to me, personally. I think of Spiderman or Hulk (and I love Hulk, BTW - I have every movie AND the *entire* original series on DVD) or Ironman and I immediately think of Walmart, dollar stores, and swap meets.

I don't mind buying my boys Star Wars-related items (voice-changing clone trooper helmet, anyone?), but, with the exception of one Hulk action figure I bought for my oldest son about a decade ago, I have avoided bringing any hokey Marvel toys into our home. I haaaaate that stuff. Even DC doesn't feel "cheap" to me the way Marvel does. I buy my boys Batman-themed Legos without batting an eye.

I do have some degree of confidence that Disney could make it feel not-so-cheap in their parks...but IDK for sure...and if they *couldn't* it would definitely bring down the "quality" feel of DLR to me.

That said...and don't get me wrong - I also *hate* Star Wars, lol...I would very much welcome the switchout of tired Tommorowland attractions for fun SW-themed ones. I think Star Wars, as a brand, has retained it's "quality" feel. I also don't think SW feels out of place in a Disney park.

Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #41
Pinup Mommy
Making everyday a Dapper Day!!

I have a have a tough time seeing Star Wars and Marvel in Disney.

As fan of all 3 franchises , I feel they don't belong together. My husband nearly cried when he saw a TShirt of Darth Vader riding an Astro Orbitor eating a Mickey ice cream. LOL

As for Marvel I don't think it fits Disney. I am curious to see how Disney will handle Spiderman when Sony is done with him.

As for the boy vs girl Disney theming, I think DLR has always done a great job of keeping a fair balance. DD is not a fan of princesses, but has had fun dressing as a pirate, visiting Pirate Lair and chased Peter Pan.... All typical " boy stuff". Just this weekend her and DH had fun at the Shooting Gallery and the hubby bought DD a Mickey animated bank, similar to the one he had as a boy.

Disneyland has something for everyone, even before the Star Wars and Marvel arrival.

DL local since 1980 ~ WDW 1986 ~ WDW 2000 Disney Contempary ~ WDW 2005 Disney Polynesian ~ AP holder since 2009 ~ DL's MNSSHP 2011&2012 ~ DCL Wonder 2012 Halloween Cruise

Pinup Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #42
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

I have never heard my kids refer to ANY ride at DLR as either a girl or boy ride.

That is just our perspective.
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #43
davolarcini
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilaine View Post
I have never heard my kids refer to ANY ride at DLR as either a girl or boy ride.
I love that comment, and totally agree with it....it might have been a mistake to my original comment that I made this about things that appeal to boys versus girls. I don't spend a ton of time thinking about the difference in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Disney tends to be about real people with real issues and real limitations. Superhero powers seems like cheating.

Also there is often a sense of family and personal connection. Superheroes are not real people and not someone you can relate to. They are kind of non-human.
I think this just shows that your only reference to comic superheroes is everything but the medium they came from...comic books. Almost every story is about family...Thor and Loki (brothers), Spiderman (became a superhero because he failed to stop the man that killed his uncle, his relationship with his aunt is the most tender part of the story, she is the only family he has left), Fantastic Four (all family), the stories go on and on.

The problem is if you didn't read comics you would miss that some of the great writers in the industry write for comic books. There are themes that are carried there that aren't carried anywhere else. There is a sense of morality and questioning moral lines that is incredibly thought out and delivered.

I don't mean to get my geek platform out but the superhero stories you see in the movies aren't near the stories told in the graphic novels. There is of course some cheese depending on the writer and direction of the particular title but there are also elaborate Shakespearan level plots being told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglemama View Post
I was thinking something very similar to this. Marvel feels very "Walmart-ish" to me, personally. I think of Spiderman or Hulk (and I love Hulk, BTW - I have every movie AND the *entire* original series on DVD) or Ironman and I immediately think of Walmart, dollar stores, and swap meets.

I don't mind buying my boys Star Wars-related items (voice-changing clone trooper helmet, anyone?), but, with the exception of one Hulk action figure I bought for my oldest son about a decade ago, I have avoided bringing any hokey Marvel toys into our home. I haaaaate that stuff. Even DC doesn't feel "cheap" to me the way Marvel does. I buy my boys Batman-themed Legos without batting an eye.
I think this is the issue for people, the quality, even among fans it seems cheaper...

For me it isn't but I have to accept that I am in the minority here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
How is Indiana Jones any less of a fit than POTC or JC? They are adventure. Immersive. To my mind Indy is the exact type of ride that fits in Adventureland. I mean how is Indy less of a fit than Tower of Terror? ToT tells a rich, immersive story. Brilliant.
This to me is the crux of some people's comments...If Indy Jones can be explained away as 'an adventure'...there is no reason that Superheroes can't fit for the exact same reason. Indy is entirely unbelievable, but we love it. It has no real family issues either. Also Twilight Zone, very little fit but works because it was done right.

I think the people nervous about Marvel...I think they only know it through bad marketing campaigns like McDonald's Happy Meals and Walmart toys and cheap halloween costumes. If you knew the stories, if you knew the medium as a fans know it, you might not hate it as much, you might even like it.

But I will say this, if Disney does what it has been doing with the property...making great movies and planning longer term for the growth of the property, they will have something that next generations will crave and love to see in a theme park. But they can't do it through the Innoventions building in Tomorrowland. They need to commit to it the way they committed to Cars Land. They probably need to also put it in DCA or a 3rd park.

All that said, I wish they would take it out of Tomorrowland, only because I think it diminishes what it's potential is. Maybe they are waiting, for when they can wrestle away Spiderman from Universal and X-men from Paramount. Maybe they are waiting until they can get the biggest properties back into the family...then they would have something to sell.

Or maybe they are happy with just making billions off of the movies. Whatever the case, they own them, and they aren't going anywhere. So maybe it's time to see why they are so popular among writers, who love great stories. Maybe its time to go to a geeky comic book store and learn a new geek language. Maybe its time to read the X-men Dark Phoenix story or the Death of Captain America story. After all, it truly is a small world and this is a part of it, after all .

(Couldn't resist the play on words)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #44
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Hydroguy - Disneyland expert, hater of superheroes!

LOL

Seriously though, davo... it must be killing you to see what Disney fans think of Marvel. I'm sure you have friends as well that were shocked and disappointed when Disney bought Marvel and thought Disney would ruin it. Everything is possible, but I would bet everything will be alright.

I can see where some things wouldn't fit into Disneyland. Heck, hearing that Indy and Star Tours are in Disneyland is strange to me... I'm used to them being in Hollywood Studio as opposed to Magic Kingdom. This is where WDW has DLR beat, in the space department (as in how much room they have to work with.) DLR has to do what they can with the space they have.

BTW, where would DLR open up another park? Is it even possible to build another park in the middle of a city?

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #45
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
How is Dumbo boys?

I think you made decisions based on the outcome you wanted....I want as many or more boy rides/movies than girl...Abracadabra....LOOK....I am kidding, I just disagree.
Just in my defense a little here....I couldn't have been any more misrepresented. In my list of rides, I called Splash neutral and Matterhorn boys. If you'd like to add Splash to the list of rides that connect with boys, great, it makes the list longer.

In the rides list, I called Dumbo neutral.

In the movies list, I called both Bambi and Dumbo neutral.

So not one of those was quoted correctly. Now, all of that said, I honestly did not set out to prove which gender was more represented. I was just curious, because I have two little girls, and to them, Disney is all about princesses, but I have a lot of great Disney memories and don't recall it being "girly", so I truly wanted to see how it played out. It was just my assessment. As I mentioned in the post, any of them in and of themselves, can be argued one way or the other, but I don't think the over all point that there are certainly enough boy-oriented rides is too far off. There's enough of both - thats why its the most popular theme park in the world.
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: