Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,637

Quote:
Of course we could stick with gas-powered, carbon spewing, putt-putt cars and pass it off as Tomorrowland! But I would prefer they use that space for something more exciting. Something Super
Well now see for ME, a girl who likes to drive, Autopia (and any other car-driving ride I've ever encountered, even as a little kid "driving' the ones that go around in a circle at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk", IS my fantasy/imagination/awesome sort of ride. I ADORE it. Still. If they take that away it will never be the same to me again. I'm already seriously angry with WDW for the changes they are making, and if DLR does something like that I'm going to have a really hard time with it. (because Disney super-duper cares about me specifically...)

Autopia does for me the same sorts of things that superheroes did for you and some girls experience with princesses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
I
Marvel? For some reason it smacks of Universal Studios...
And Universal (at least in Florida) is already doing it and doing it incredibly well. I cannot imagine the idiocy that will happen if Disney starts putting characters in the parks, compared to how AWESOME it is (for character-meeting types like DH and DS) out at Universal in Florida. I do not understand why the companies started making a mishmash out of who owns what...I wish it were all still at Universal so I didn't even have to worry about it.

DH has had some amazing interactions with Rogue, Storm (?), and some other characters I don't know because I don't care LOL out at Universal, and they exact sorts of interactions have never happened when he's met a character at Disney.


And the rides are really REALLY good out there for the Marvel stuff. (I can admit that even though many of them scare me half to death and I don't like riding them) Should just leave it to Universal!


Quote:
Originally Posted by seagodess View Post
I have to agree. While I dont think all Disney is aimed at girls, I think a good majority of it. I mean I see princess stuff EVERYWHERE, yet dont see nearly half as much disney stuff for boys.
Does your son need the *stuff* though?

I used to bemoan the same sort of thing, then I really watched my kiddo. And I thought of my 3 brothers. And I watched what DH, who is still pretty much a 10 year old in many ways, gravitates towards.

And none of them need the *stuff* to make them feel like a superhero. My son doesn't need a pirate costume. He needs a hat, a sash (which he scavenged from DH's martial arts stuff), some sort of sword (generally Tinkertoy or even cardboard, before he started his plastic sword collection), perhaps a beard (my eyeliner), and he IS a pirate.

My brothers were the same. Their imaginations were so incredibly strong they didn't need some outfit bought from a store. The few proper costumes DS has (Transformers, Sportacus from LazyTown from when he was really little) are too cold at Halloweentime and too hot for much of the rest of the year, and are scratchy and uncomfortable...and he grew out of them in an instant.

This isn't to say he doesn't get *stuff*. He does, he loves souvenirs. But they are accessories. The main costumes are really in his mind and attitude.



Then again, I was like that, too. Nightgown = princess. When very little, pulling my shirt off to where it was on my head like a headband = Winnie the Pooh (don't ask, I don't know, I was little and there's no one else to ask "why"). When I got a little older, the same t-shirt thing = bride or very fancy lady.

Then again, I'll admit that the limited edition (1500 made) Elsa gown Disney made is exquisite...saw it on a girl in Epcot and it was incredible. Her mom said they were offered $1000 on the spot for it while they were at WDW. I would have seriously appreciated that gown as a kid. Heck, I'd like it now. It was gorgeous.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
seagodess
DIS Veteran
 
seagodess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 786

Quote:
Does your son need the *stuff* though?
He doesn't need the stuff, no. I have made him capes and stuff. However just like little girls like to get their favorite princess dress, little boys like to get their favorite super hero costume. I can walk into the Disney store anytime of the year and see princess dresses. However I only see super hero outfits during halloween time or sometimes when a movie comes out.

As for the list of the movies aimed towards genders, I dont agree with a lot of them. On the boys list, while there are some I have never even heard of, some of the others I dont agree are towards boys at all.

I'm not saying Disney has nothing for boys, but just like a lot of other things, they seem to have a lot towards girls.
__________________
ME DH DS

March 2005- 1st DL trip. My Honey Moon
May 2012- DS's 1st DL trip and 5th Birthday- Trip Report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2934231)
March 2014- Trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3256794)
seagodess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
starjazz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 419

Here's rides. Again, I just put 'em where I thought they made the most sense. When looked at this way, there sure seems to be more boy and/or neutral rides. This is only DL, but I don't think DCA would sway it the other direction. If anything, it'd probably weigh it far more toward the "boy" side of things.

P.S. - I'm a boy, and have LOVED Disney since I was little.

Boys
Railroad
Astro Orbiter
Autopia
Subs
Space
Star Tours
Buzz
Casey Jr.’s
Matterhorn
Mr. Toad’s
Pinocchio
Big Thunder
Tom Sawyer
Indy
Columbia/Mark Twain
Pirates
Crockett’s Canoes
Mickey’s House

Girls
Alice
Tea Party
Snow White
Pixie Hollow
Castle
Minnie’s House

Neutral
Dumbo
Small World
Carousel
Peter Pan
Storybook Boats
Jungle Boats
Haunted Mansion
Pooh
Splash
Donald’s Boat
Goofy’s
Roger Rabbit’s
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
sheetz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 581

Actually I think the vast majority of attractions at DL are gender neutral. And I would never consider consider something like the railroad to be a "boy" ride.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #20
starjazz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
Actually I think the vast majority of attractions at DL are gender neutral. And I would never consider consider something like the railroad to be a "boy" ride.
In large part, I'd agree. But the original premise was that there are so many girl-oriented things, that some more boy-oriented things would be welcome. I'm just merely pointing out that there are a LOT of things that boys should enjoy. Many of which might be perceived as even aimed at them. I mean trains? How many girls got a train set on Christmas morning, right? Not that girls don't enjoy riding it, but it definitely connects very strongly with boys.

Again, I didn't post all that to argue the gender relations, just to gain some perspective. All of it is certainly debateable.
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
sheetz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post
\ Many of which might be perceived as even aimed at them. I mean trains? How many girls got a train set on Christmas morning, right? Not that girls don't enjoy riding it, but it definitely connects very strongly with boys.

Well my viewpoint is that the train is a form of transportation, like the monorail or Main Street vehicles. Is taking the bus or the subway a "boy" attraction? Being a train conductor might be considered a "boy" attraction, but riding in a train? Not a boy attraction, IMO.

In fact, one might argue that girls like being driven more than driving themselves, so in that case the railroad might be considered a "girl" attraction.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #22
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post
In large part, I'd agree. But the original premise was that there are so many girl-oriented things, that some more boy-oriented things would be welcome. I'm just merely pointing out that there are a LOT of things that boys should enjoy. Many of which might be perceived as even aimed at them. I mean trains? How many girls got a train set on Christmas morning, right? Not that girls don't enjoy riding it, but it definitely connects very strongly with boys.

Again, I didn't post all that to argue the gender relations, just to gain some perspective. All of it is certainly debateable.
I understand where you are coming from and think your insight hits close to the mark.

I have four boys (now college and high school age) and two sisters (now old fogies like me ) and - on average - boys naturally gravitate towards adventure and girls naturally gravitate towards relationships and romance.

Trains are associated with new frontiers and technological advance (circa 19th century) and going to new places and making loud noises. It is something that on average has greater appeal for boys than girls.

I think your list of gender appeal rides is as revealing as the one for movies.

I remember going to DL right after my third birthday and riding Dumbo with my uncle who was 10. DL always appealed to me and I never had a feeling for a moment it was somehow more geared towards girls. There were trains and bobsleds in mountains and monorails and submarines and cruises through jungles. I loved and still love stories and imagination and Fantasyland rides like StorybookLand and Monstro the whale I remember vividly from childhood. Alice in Wonderland (is that ride vehicle going to fall off the leaf???), Rocket Jets high above Tomorrowland. Etc., etc., etc.

In any case Star Wars will play into this just fine. Something bothers me about superheroes in the parks though. I don't know why. It just does not fit for me.

__________________
Upcoming:
DLR, July 2014 (DLH) | August 2015 for the D23 Expo | WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
Mom of a princess
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 27

Thank you so much for your post.
I was initially very upset about Marvel characters and merchandise being in the parks.
It just did not feel very Disneyish.
Your post made view this in an entirely different light and realize this is a good move.

Thanks again
Mom of a princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #24
starjazz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
I understand where you are coming from and think your insight hits close to the mark.

I have four boys (now college and high school age) and two sisters (now old fogies like me ) and - on average - boys naturally gravitate towards adventure and girls naturally gravitate towards relationships and romance.

Trains are associated with new frontiers and technological advance (circa 19th century) and going to new places and making loud noises. It is something that on average has greater appeal for boys than girls.

I think your list of gender appeal rides is as revealing as the one for movies.

I remember going to DL right after my third birthday and riding Dumbo with my uncle who was 10. DL always appealed to me and I never had a feeling for a moment it was somehow more geared towards girls. There were trains and bobsleds in mountains and monorails and submarines and cruises through jungles. I loved and still love stories and imagination and Fantasyland rides like StorybookLand and Monstro the whale I remember vividly from childhood. Alice in Wonderland (is that ride vehicle going to fall off the leaf???), Rocket Jets high above Tomorrowland. Etc., etc., etc.

In any case Star Wars will play into this just fine. Something bothers me about superheroes in the parks though. I don't know why. It just does not fit for me.

Thanks! I'm with you - always enjoyed it as a kid - always felt there were lots of things I connected with as a boy. I think its why Disney is so perfect - its appealing to everyone of all ages and genders and colors and all of that!!
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #25
momof4fans
Mouseketeer
 
momof4fans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fallon, NV
Posts: 424

This is a very interesting conversation. It made me wonder though, how does Captain EO fit into DLR? I've never seen it, so I really don't know. If somebody could explain...
__________________
We're going back August of 2015! Hoorah!
DLR: Dec. 2011, Aug. 2013
DS16 , DS14 , DD7 , DD5
momof4fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #26
sherilaine
DIS Veteran
 
sherilaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4fans View Post
This is a very interesting conversation. It made me wonder though, how does Captain EO fit into DLR? I've never seen it, so I really don't know. If somebody could explain...
Just when you are having a great time, your kids drag you in to see it, then they want to go back in, it's Disney's way of making sure every family suffers just a little bit, even when they are at the happiest place on earth...
__________________
DH and Me DD (12) DS (10) Q
Disneyland - HOJO Kids Suite March 2012, May 2013 and March 2014
May 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110490
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #27
momof4fans
Mouseketeer
 
momof4fans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fallon, NV
Posts: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilaine View Post
Just when you are having a great time, your kids drag you in to see it, then they want to go back in, it's Disney's way of making sure every family suffers just a little bit, even when they are at the happiest place on earth...
HaHaHaHa! That's funny!
__________________
We're going back August of 2015! Hoorah!
DLR: Dec. 2011, Aug. 2013
DS16 , DS14 , DD7 , DD5
momof4fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #28
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?
 
HydroGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado, USA (formerly SoCal - now SoCol)
Posts: 14,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilaine View Post
Just when you are having a great time, your kids drag you in to see it, then they want to go back in, it's Disney's way of making sure every family suffers just a little bit, even when they are at the happiest place on earth...
Or in the case of my family with kids in college and highs school, it is me who drags my kids to see it as it is harmless and shows MJ in his prime.

Funny, I did not care for Eo at all when it came out and I was in my 20's. Now that they brought it back in recent years I think it is a hoot. And a good way to relax for awhile in an air conditioned theater on a hot day.

__________________
Upcoming:
DLR, July 2014 (DLH) | August 2015 for the D23 Expo | WDW, 2015 May?
Completed:
DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #29
sherilaine
DIS Veteran
 
sherilaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Or in the case of my family with kids in college and highs school, it is me who drags my kids to see it as it is harmless and shows MJ in his prime.

Funny, I did not care for Eo at all when it came out and I was in my 20's. Now that they brought it back in recent years I think it is a hoot. And a good way to relax for awhile in an air conditioned theater on a hot day.

It is a hoot - my kids do not get the 80s aspect of it - but for us older folk it does take you right back!!

And yes, the A/C sure is nice!!
__________________
DH and Me DD (12) DS (10) Q
Disneyland - HOJO Kids Suite March 2012, May 2013 and March 2014
May 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3110490
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #30
BSOGfam
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 49

I've loved reading everyone's thoughts on this. My childhood entertainment consisted of Disney classics and Star Wars. The two have always been intertwined for me. In that respect, I would love to see what Disney imagineering can do for Star Wars.
I feel the beauty of Disney is that it's gender neutral. I grew up loving Jungle book, Peter Pan and Sleeping beauty. My DS3 loves the movies Cinderella and Toy story. I think part of the problem is that a majority of the marketing is teaching kids they should be princesses or pirates without a lot in the middle.
BSOGfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: