Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

What would you say? Disneyland Summer Trip Planning

Aloha Friends!

I have a friend planning a trip to Disneyland in June. There will be 3 adults, and 3 children under the age of 12. They already know they want 5 day park hoppers, and they already want to stay on site.

I consider myself a very informed Disneyland wiz and I often write mini guides for friends and family traveling to the parks. Of course I'll mention the perks of staying on site, fast passes, magic mornings, etc. But, I was curious as what other fellow Disneyland enthusiasts would mention to their friends and families as tips. Maybe food favorites? Where to sit for Mickey and the Magical Map? Actually doing the WOC dining package? Things of that nature.

My last trip was too long ago IMO. I went in November 2012 with my family and we did character meals, breaks, ate everything... The suggestions from so many of you, helped us avoid waiting in a 120 min RSR line, and helped us see WOC perfectly... I know you all have some more wonderful tips and tricks up your sleeves that haven't already been mentioned in the articles online!

Share away!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
SMD
DIS Veteran

I would ask them if they want any advice. Or politely suggest they check out a few Disney sites for info, and maybe mention 1 or 2. I usually don't offer random trip advice to people unless it's something like, I know their kid really likes Star Wars, I might mention some things they could do.

When people do ask me for advice, I try to keep in mind that they don't prioritize Disney like I do, so I'll offer tips like, "If you want CS, try these places, but if you decide you want a sit down meal, these would be good." Otherwise I'd be sending people essay length emails with obsessive levels of details that would probably frighten them. In fact, I know a guy like that, he frightens me.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

tell them to join the DISboards and then they can ask, look up or read about anything they want!

March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I would ask them if they want any advice. Or politely suggest they check out a few Disney sites for info, and maybe mention 1 or 2. I usually don't offer random trip advice to people unless it's something like, I know their kid really likes Star Wars, I might mention some things they could do.

When people do ask me for advice, I try to keep in mind that they don't prioritize Disney like I do, so I'll offer tips like, "If you want CS, try these places, but if you decide you want a sit down meal, these would be good." Otherwise I'd be sending people essay length emails with obsessive levels of details that would probably frighten them. In fact, I know a guy like that, he frightens me.
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that they did reach out to me for tips, and mainly - help getting the most for their buck! I wouldn't waste my time on a guide for someone if they didn't ask It would appear too narcissistic... and off putting for my character.

Mainly, I was curious as to what are favorites and great ideas that fellow DISers like to share with someone who really doesn't know all the magic of the parks! I totally plan on telling them to cool down at the Animation Academy to check out the Toy Story Zoetrope or grabbing soup in bread bowls while waiting for Fantasmic... that kind of stuff is my thing... I would like to add more of what others love about a day at Disneyland and CA!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilaine View Post
tell them to join the DISboards and then they can ask, look up or read about anything they want!

I know it does! But, he's not really a forum kind of guy...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #6
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMommy403 View Post
Aloha Friends!

I have a friend planning a trip to Disneyland in June. There will be 3 adults, and 3 children under the age of 12. They already know they want 5 day park hoppers, and they already want to stay on site.

I consider myself a very informed Disneyland wiz and I often write mini guides for friends and family traveling to the parks. Of course I'll mention the perks of staying on site, fast passes, magic mornings, etc. But, I was curious as what other fellow Disneyland enthusiasts would mention to their friends and families as tips. Maybe food favorites? Where to sit for Mickey and the Magical Map? Actually doing the WOC dining package? Things of that nature.

My last trip was too long ago IMO. I went in November 2012 with my family and we did character meals, breaks, ate everything... The suggestions from so many of you, helped us avoid waiting in a 120 min RSR line, and helped us see WOC perfectly... I know you all have some more wonderful tips and tricks up your sleeves that haven't already been mentioned in the articles online!

Share away!
How much time to allow to get a spot for the parade.
How much time to allow to get a spot for fireworks.
How much time to allow to get a spot for Fantasmic!
How much time to allow to get a spot for World of Color.
How... you get the idea.

How to see fireworks and Fantasmic! in the same night.

Given three young kids, how rider swap works if applicable.

What tools Disney offers daily to help them with navigating their days.

Find out what their "do not miss" things are and help them figure out the best times/days to do/see them.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
How much time to allow to get a spot for the parade.
How much time to allow to get a spot for fireworks.
How much time to allow to get a spot for Fantasmic!
How much time to allow to get a spot for World of Color.
How... you get the idea.

How to see fireworks and Fantasmic! in the same night.

Given three young kids, how rider swap works if applicable.

What tools Disney offers daily to help them with navigating their days.

Find out what their "do not miss" things are and help them figure out the best times/days to do/see them.

- Dreams
Great ideas! Thank You!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Amommy21
DIS Veteran

After 20 years of sharing our Disney tips and tricks we have realized that unless the person gets into researching tips and tricks on their own that it's usually overload. So we try to only give a few basics then see if they reach out for more ideas.

First basic stuff like Fast Passes, baby swaps. Checking park hours, events, etc.

Then we ask them what they have heard about, are looking forward to or what kinds of things their kids are into and give very specific information regarding their answers.

Sometimes getting all swept up in the best way to do everyone makes a first timer stressed out and miss out on finding things, taking it easy, being flexible and experiencing the magic.

I always advise people to arrive at rope drop. And that they should get key things out of the way as soon as possible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: