Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #16
mitsguy2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
The different letters simply indicate location in many cases. Once the HA rooms were completed, they were inspected and the ones that did not meet the standards were removed from the list. They weren't going to rip out the existing bathrooms and install split baths so yes, those still have the HA bathrooms and no tub. The cat 8s are the same size as the cat 4s on the Dream/Fantasy. They just don't have a verandah.
I assume that means that the 8B, 8C, and 8D rooms are the same size as the 4A, 4B, 4C, and 4D rooms. It seems, based on this thread and other posts, that the 8A rooms are bigger, and the 4E rooms are smaller but have extended verandahs. Is that what you meant?

Last edited by mitsguy2001; 09-23-2014 at 11:46 PM.
mitsguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #17
mitsguy2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Some people do not like the layout of the 9D corner cabins. As I mentioned there is no privacy curtain which bothers some people and the ceiling is slanted to give it an attic look. We personally LOVE the corner 9D's but there is no real obstruction. The porthole is slanted and a bit smaller so it is different than regular portholes.

You as the Original Poster can edit your own first post with all the info once it is gathered. That is what people usually do when an information thread is started. (keep all the info in the first post).
I will do that once all the questions are answered.

Quote:
You would have to ask one of the admins to make it a sticky
How do I do that? Another idea would be to somehow make it part of an FAQ.

Quote:
since I don't know if there are any active mods on the cruise board currently.
I thought LBGraves was a moderator.

Quote:
But, in the meantime, you can subscribe to the thread under thread tools so you can easily find it again. That is what I did because this will be a good info thread when complete.

MJ
Subscribing to the thread won't help others. I created this thread primarily to help others (and out of my own curiosity).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #18
mitsguy2001
Mouseketeer

I remember back in 2006, there was a list of noisy rooms on Decks 1 and 2 of the Magic and Wonder. Does such a list exist for the Dream and Fantasy? If not, such a list should be created, specifially for Deck 2. The problem iwth Deck 2 is that you don't know what is below, since the public deck plans do not show the crew-only areas. I know that on the Magic and Wonder, most rooms on Decks 1 and 2 are quiet, since they have crew quarters below. But some are very noisy, since they have a crew bar or a noisy mechanical area below. It would be nice if such a list existed for the Dream / Fantasy.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #19
mitsguy2001
Mouseketeer

To go through each of my questions, and which ones are answered and which ones are not:

1. What is the difference between 9C and 9D? I'm guessing 9D is even more obstructed than 9C, but that has not been answered.

It seems that 9D is larger but has a strange layout that some may not like. Haven't seen an answer yet as to whether or not 9D is more obstructed than 9C, or even what kind of obstruction they have. It seems 9D has a slanted porthole, but not sure about 9C.

2. Do any oceanview rooms have the 2 small porholes, like the Deck 1 rooms on the Magic and Wonder? I assume not

It seems the answer is no.

3. What is the difference between 8A and 8D, when both are on the same decks? I'm guessing the 8A rooms are bigger. There have been posts about the 8A "mini-suites" and the 8A "open floor plan" rooms.

Since nobody has commented, I assume that my assumption is correct, that 8A is bigger.

4. Are any 7A rooms family sized? Do any have extended verandahs? Which ones are obstructed vs which ones are undersized? I assume that none are actually navigator's verandahs.

Nobody has answered that. I assume none are family sized. I assume the ones on Deck 5 have the extended verandahs. Is that correct? Are the two aft-facing ones on Deck 5 undersized, and all others obstructed?

5. Are any 6A or 6B rooms family sized? Do any have extended verandahs?

I assume the answer to both questions is no.

6. Do all 5E rooms have whitewalls? Are any obstructed?

It seems none are obstructed. Do all have whitewalls?

7. Do any Cat. 4 rooms have whitewalls? Are any obstructed?

I assume the answer to both questions is no.

8. Are the Dream and Fantasy identical when it comes to staterooms?

That was answered as yes.

Last edited by mitsguy2001; 09-23-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #20
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I will do that once all the questions are answered.

How do I do that? Another idea would be to somehow make it part of an FAQ.

Again, a mod or admin would have to do it.

I thought LBGraves was a moderator.

Used to be but not currently, same as myself.

Subscribing to the thread won't help others. I created this thread primarily to help others (and out of my own curiosity).
Anyone can subscribe to a thread to keep it handy.

You can contact an admin at : admin@wdwinfo.com

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #21
mitsguy2001
Mouseketeer

Should I wait for more questions to be answered, or are they as answered as they are going to be?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #22
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

I've been on several cruises, but never really noticed a different between what deck our stateroom is on. Forgive me for being naive, but is it typically better to be on lower or higher decks?
We honeymooned on the Dream, our room was on deck 9 - it was nice and quiet - is this typically the same for upper decks?

Thanks in advance ^_^

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #23
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
6B - Whitewall, Decks 5, 6, 7. Some may be family size (Cat. 4 if it had no whitewall), but I may be wrong
6A - Whitewall, Decks 8, 9
None of the 6A-6B rooms are family size. Regular size room and balcony with the whitewall that comes up to about shin height.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #24
mitsguy2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWChloe View Post
I've been on several cruises, but never really noticed a different between what deck our stateroom is on. Forgive me for being naive, but is it typically better to be on lower or higher decks?
We honeymooned on the Dream, our room was on deck 9 - it was nice and quiet - is this typically the same for upper decks?

Thanks in advance ^_^
Which deck is "best" is a personal preference. Lower decks have less motion. If you are sensitive to motion, then a low deck midship is best. Higher decks put you closer to the lido deck but further from the gangway and the indoor facilities. Lower decks put you closer to the gangway and indoor facilities, but further from the lido deck. Higher decks are usually more expensive, since they are perceived as better, and can possibly have a better view.

The quietest decks are ones where you have just staterooms above and below you. Check the deck plan. On the Dream and Fantasy, for example, most of the rooms on Decks 7, 8, and 9 are very quiet, since they have only staterooms above and below. Same with some of Deck 6. Deck 10 has the lido deck above, so you need to check the exact location of your room. Same with Deck 5, which has public areas below. Deck 2, unfortunately, you have no way of knowing what is below, since Disney does not make most of Deck 1 public, so you are taking a gamble. It also has public areas above. If you are below the seating area of a restaurant, that is usually quiet. If you are below the galley, that is usually noisy. But you are still taking a gamble with what is below.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
Tomlyger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
To go through each of my questions, and which ones are answered and which ones are not:

1. What is the difference between 9C and 9D? I'm guessing 9D is even more obstructed than 9C, but that has not been answered.

It seems that 9D is larger but has a strange layout that some may not like. Haven't seen an answer yet as to whether or not 9D is more obstructed than 9C, or even what kind of obstruction they have. It seems 9D has a slanted porthole, but not sure about 9C.
I will be in a 9C room on the 24th and will follow-up with good pictures from it and a room report... It will be cabin 7002 on the Fantasy

25 Disney Trips and Counting....
1 Cruise
1 Western Excursion
23 Trips to the World
1 Magical Engagement
Tomlyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
GadgetGod
Earning My Ears

Quote:

3. What is the difference between 8A and 8D, when both are on the same decks? I'm guessing the 8A rooms are bigger. There have been posts about the 8A "mini-suites" and the 8A "open floor plan" rooms.

Since nobody has commented, I assume that my assumption is correct, that 8A is bigger.
I have read online, but will not be able to confirm until March 2015, that the "Mini-Suite" 8A rooms (5020, 5022, 5520, 5522) are about 324 sq. ft. (18x18).
GadgetGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #27
mamachap
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGod View Post
I have read online, but will not be able to confirm until March 2015, that the "Mini-Suite" 8A rooms (5020, 5022, 5520, 5522) are about 324 sq. ft. (18x18).
Wow, really??? That's almost a whole 100 sq ft larger than advertised!!!! Unbelievable!!!
mamachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:50 AM   #28
fnrsgrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I wonder why they chose Deck 5 for the extended verandahs.
They didn't. The ship sort of "juts out" just under those cabins(I can't remember why), and without the extended verandah, you wouldn't be able to see the ocean, only the ship underneath of you. Personally, I wouldn't stay in one again; you can see others and they can see you if you are on the extended portion of your verandah.

2002- Yacht Club and All-Star Music; 2007 AKL and All-star Movies/DCL; 2008- All-Star Movies; Feb. 2010- POR; 2012- POR/DCL; 2013- POR
Me & DH, Bond, KP, Carbon and Sprinkles
Please check out my first PTR, Sea Ya Real Soon: A Dreamy Pre-Trip Report, my NEW PTR, There's No Place Like Your Second Home for the Holidays--A Very Merry Christmas-y PTR And my first TR, A Veritable Explosion of Pixie Dust
fnrsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #29
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
5E - Supposedly these are oversized balconies, but I'm not sure why they are downgraded. Maybe since they are so far aft? Or maybe they have whitewalls and were originally Cat. 6, and thus 5E is an upgrade?
Not downgraded - your second statement is right; they were Cat 6 & upgraded due to their over sided Verandahs. The 'whitewall' is only about shin high, very different than the full whitewall Verandahs on the Magic/Wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #30
GadgetGod
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamachap View Post
Wow, really??? That's almost a whole 100 sq ft larger than advertised!!!! Unbelievable!!!
I have my doubts, i suspect that it is closer to a (still larger than stated) 300 sq ft. I am booked in room 5520 next March and I plan to measure so everyone will know.

here are two great "mini-suite" reviews.

(links to follow in next post, due to my lurker status I need one more post to post links)

you can see the rooms in the reviews are mirror images of each other, and have different couch/desk placement.
GadgetGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: