Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
LamieMom
Earning My Ears

Just a word of caution. I used Gift Cards on a recent cruise and our small surplus was NOT refunded to the Gift Card. On the account we had: OBC from Disney resulting from an OBB; OBC from our travel agent; we used some Disney Rewards dollars and lastly placed several Disney Gift Cards on the account. When I checked the gift cards to see which one had the surplus, all of the gift cards had a zero balance. I inquired with DCL to see what happened. DCL informed me that the surplus was refunded to my travel agent (who had placed a "refundable" OBC on my account). I inquired with the travel agent who advised me that DCL policy is to refund any surplus to the first form of payment, not the last, and that the policy is that OBC is not refundable. That seems odd to me, but that's what I was told.

This has since been resolved to my satisfaction, but I have also been advised to use any Gift Cards late in the cruise and for the exact amount currently on the account (i.e., do not place large sums on in advance unless you are confident that you will use it ALL).

My experience may be an isolated one, but I wanted to post it since I frequently see others post that remaining balances are put back on the last form of payment used. YMMV.
LamieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamieMom View Post
Just a word of caution. I used Gift Cards on a recent cruise and our small surplus was NOT refunded to the Gift Card. On the account we had: OBC from Disney resulting from an OBB; OBC from our travel agent; we used some Disney Rewards dollars and lastly placed several Disney Gift Cards on the account. When I checked the gift cards to see which one had the surplus, all of the gift cards had a zero balance. I inquired with DCL to see what happened. DCL informed me that the surplus was refunded to my travel agent (who had placed a "refundable" OBC on my account). I inquired with the travel agent who advised me that DCL policy is to refund any surplus to the first form of payment, not the last, and that the policy is that OBC is not refundable. That seems odd to me, but that's what I was told.

This has since been resolved to my satisfaction, but I have also been advised to use any Gift Cards late in the cruise and for the exact amount currently on the account (i.e., do not place large sums on in advance unless you are confident that you will use it ALL).

My experience may be an isolated one, but I wanted to post it since I frequently see others post that remaining balances are put back on the last form of payment used. YMMV.
Wow. Thanks for providing another reason to NOT use a travel agent!
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWitch View Post
ahh! I'm searching but don't see that option for me! Maybe because the cruise is paid for now? Ugh.
That is a good point. I'm not sure in that case. You should see a "Make a Payment" link under your booking in the "Reservation Summary" area. You may need to call DCL directly.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #19
Lisamarie4400
Mouseketeer

Yeah I'm still missing almost a $400 credit that was on gift cards from my cruise 2 weeks ago.
October 2013 One Day for Halloween Party
January 2014 3 Days on Disney Magic Cruise Ship

December 2014 5 days on Disney Wonder
Lisamarie4400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
chrystalc77
Mouseketeer

So maybe it would be better to call in maybe $200 for a good start, and then just pay off with gift cards on board if we go over that?
chrystalc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie Lover View Post
We always do it onboard and if you pick a quiet time at Guest Services, it's very easy.
Exactly what we do , we find it best to go in morning. Most of time there isn't a line & takes only a few minutes to do 10 to 20 cards ($25 & $50's).
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #22
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

dumb question... how do you get all the gift cards? Do you buy them in advance? I hear sometimes Target does some specials where you can get cards?

We are heading to the states a few times this year and I wouldn't mind starting to "stock up"

Sailing on the Magic again! Nov 29, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #23
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

I'd probably rather call it in now then spend vacation time worrying about that. We had some gift cards that we gave to the concierge to put on our account and they did it and got the empty cards returned in about a day with a print out/receipt or whatever. So if you're staying concierge there is that option.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #24
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78 View Post
dumb question... how do you get all the gift cards? Do you buy them in advance? I hear sometimes Target does some specials where you can get cards?

We are heading to the states a few times this year and I wouldn't mind starting to "stock up"
Not a dumb question at all. Yes, you can get them at Target and if you have the Target Red Card you can save 5%. I get them at Kroger because I gain fuel points which saves me money at the gas pump.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #25
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78 View Post

We stock up on Disney GC's from Target (5% off with Red card) & Sam's club, whenever we shopping at either & have some extra cash.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #26
BadWitch
Earning My Ears

I ended up calling them in. I'm totally confident that we'll use the whole amount but thank you for the input regarding refunding anything left. The CM who helped me actually said that any balance remaining will be put back on the GC in $50 increments so to keep ALL of my cards because it's not known just WHAT card it'll end up on.
BadWitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: