Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
mylittlebirdie
Earning My Ears

Comparing concierge between new and older ships?

I've sailed all four Disney ships. I've only done concierge on the Dream and Fantasy and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money on the older ships as there is no lounge.

Is there a concierge sun deck?

How do you speak with your host if you can't pop over to the lounge?

It'll only be two people so my initial feeling is that I'd be better off booking a balcony on the Wonder. But, my DH really wants to do concierge only.
mylittlebirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
wl1117
Mouseketeer

We've sailed Concierge on the Dream and Fantasy, as well as the Magic. We MUCH preferred it on the newer ships. To us, the lounge was an enormous plus. We enjoyed our daily stops over there, especially for coffee and/or drinks.

On the Magic, you have a daily snack delivered to your room and the Concierge host stops by daily to check on you. Half the time we never connected. Usually if we needed something we just called. They were still attentive when you spoke to them, but I felt like we really knew our Hosts better on the Fantasy and the Dream, and that they really went out of their way to make it worth the money.

We're hoping to book the Magic again for 2015 (fingers crossed for Baltic), but we don't plan on booking concierge. The extra space wasn't enough of an incentive on the classic ships, IMO. I wish they'd have redesigned a small lounge and some Cat V staterooms into the Magic.

Also, no Concierge Sun Deck on older ships.

6th DCL cruise -Magic - May 2, 2014

Last edited by wl1117; 02-03-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: add info
wl1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
mylittlebirdie
Earning My Ears

Thanks very much for the reply.

I think I'm going with my original plan and just booking a balcony stateroom. That is if they ever release the Hawaii itineraries.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
holula
DIS Veteran

Last week we stayed in the Walt on the Magic. Concierge for us was not worth it. We have never done it on the newer ships so cannot compare. You have a button on your phone to get through to the concierge hosts. You get snacks left in your room each day. On embarkation day they used Keys as the concierge lounge with food and free alcohol. The concierge reception was on Nassau day with free alcohol and food also. I am glad we did it, but we wouldn't do it again.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!)
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2014 Southern, 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
LyndaC
Mouseketeer

I visited friends who were staying Concierge on the Wonder this week, while the woodwork in the room is beautiful, I couldn't see the advantage. Their room was directly under all the noise of deck 9, chairs scraping in the middle of the night, no lounge, seriously, I'd be quite ticked off if I paid that much money and had that much noise.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
wl1117
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlebirdie View Post
Thanks very much for the reply.

I think I'm going with my original plan and just booking a balcony stateroom. That is if they ever release the Hawaii itineraries.
You're welcome!

6th DCL cruise -Magic - May 2, 2014
wl1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
Futurist
REAL magic is when you can make people WANT to believe!

Magic class concierge

My DW and I have done concierge on the Dream, are about to do so again on the Fantasy on Saturday, and have favourite concierge suites on the Magic and Wonder. They are different experiences, and a lot depends on who your concierge staff is/are.

First, the concierge staterooms on the Dream-class ships seem to me to be MUCH more expensive than on the Magic-class ships, and the concierge lounge is most of the reason. There isn't one on the classic ships, nor is there a separate sundeck for concierge passengers. So you do get a lot more on the Dream-class ships – but you also pay more.

My DW and I have specific suites we adore on the classic ships. We really love the space and decor, we usually entertain, and we like the extra width on the balconies. We feel privileged to be there.

On our first cruise, we had a suite on the Magic and the concierge staff was only so-so, not even as good as the run-of-the-mill Crew Members. Definitely not worth the money. On our last cruise, on the Wonder, we had Rodrigo, and he was absolutely fabulous. He would find us wherever we were on the Wonder, usually several times a day. He was in all the restaurants, every day, and always worked the room, catching up with *his* guests and making sure they wanted for nothing. I can't think of anything that I even mentioned in passing that he didn't immediately pick up and make happen. I swear he must have read our minds on several occasions. It was actually better than going to the concierge lounge.

So, a lot depends on the concierge staff you get.

Bottom line: unless you love the suites (as we do) and don't mind the noisy neighbours upstairs (and we generally don't), then it may not be worth the extra money on the classic ships. For us, it's part of the pixie dust, and we love it.

If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll answer as best I can.

Hope this helps!
Richard
Disney Dream – Feb. 6-10, 2011
Disney Fantasy – Maiden Voyage, March 31-April 7, 2012; February 8th-15th, 2014
Disney Wonder, Jan. 28-Feb. 2, 2013
EBPC, Disney Wonder, Sept. 12th-26th, 2014 (36th anniversary celebration)
Futurist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #8
mylittlebirdie
Earning My Ears

I sailed with Rodrigo last year on the Dream. I love him.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

For us, it was a space (MIL came with the four of us) and celebration (tenth anniversary, so why not?) issue that led us to splurge for classic concierge. We loved the Walt suite on the Wonder and saw our concierge host, Glenn several times a day. That said, we'll be paying twice as much next cruise for a non-concierge verandah on the Fantasy over Thanksgiving week as we did (with an extra person) in the Walt.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: