Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #16
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now
 
surferdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,475

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Brave did not deserve the Oscar last year -- like Merida's mom was really going to remain a stupid bear forever.
Ah, c'mon, Brave doesn't deserve to be singled out for this criticism; even the best kid's movies don't make you worry about things not turning out all right. I believed Elanor would remain a bear for about as long as I believed Anna's heart would remain frozen (and that scene in Frozen was very reminiscent of the similar penultimate scene in Brave). But I agree wholeheartedly that Wreck It Ralph was a better movie than Brave (but I think that was a much narrower gap than the one this year between Frozen and everything else), and Pixar exhausted the goodwill and enormous benefit of the doubt that they typically get from the Academy. It wasn't a good year for them to put out a fun but uninspiring sequel (or prequel) like Monsters University.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
I think the problem is that the pool is too small to draw from. I'd almost like to see the award every 3rd year of something like that. It's like "hey, there were 5 major animated films, so we'll nominate all but one, and then pick which was the best, when in reality the best was a B+". They grade some of these smaller categories on a curve. And when you have a bunch of B-quality films, it almost doesn't matter which you nominate.
I think that's true in general, not just for animated features. Usually there are at least a couple of animated features that deserve to be in the discussion, but not this year.
__________________
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #17
Whatsthegoodword
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 76

I dislike the whole "animated" category anyway. A great animated film (like Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, Toy Story, Incredibles or Ratatouille) deserves to be nominated for Best Picture - not best animated. That's almost like an asterisk on a great film.
Whatsthegoodword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #18
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran
 
yitbos96bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,643

Agreed...MU was a better flick than the Croods (which I didn't mind) and Despicable Me 2. It doesn't deserve to win, but it does deserve a nom.

Animation Oscar is weird... I mean, Brave did not deserve to win last year over Wreck It Ralph; there have been some snubs in the past, etc.



Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSpaceshipEarth View Post
It looks like some are missing the point of the OP. He didn't say that it was Pixar's *best ever*...only that it is remarkably better than the The Croods.

The Croods got a nomination...MU didn't.

Everyone agrees that Frozen deserves it, that's not even what the OP is talking about.

In a nutshell, if there was to be a film "snubbed" this year it should have been The Croods...NOT Monsters University.


Okay... please continue to discuss from this new starting point.

P.S.-while I do think Frozen is better than MU....MU is still a wonderful, animated film that is another solid entry in the Pixar canon. It should have easily garnered a nomination, imho.

The Croods? Yuck.
__________________
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #19
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran
 
yitbos96bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthegoodword View Post
I dislike the whole "animated" category anyway. A great animated film (like Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, Toy Story, Incredibles or Ratatouille) deserves to be nominated for Best Picture - not best animated. That's almost like an asterisk on a great film.
By that rationale then best documentary and best foreign film should be done away with as well.

I always thought they should split best picture into best drama and comedy like other shows do... If you need to do a best overall, then send out a second ballot with the films nominated in best animated, documentary, comedy, drama and foreign and vote on the best of those lots for best overall.

But that would never happen.

The whole things a joke anyway... Just industry folk stroking the egos of other industry folk.
__________________
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #20
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now
 
surferdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,475

The early movie to beat in 2014, against all odds, is The Lego Movie.

It could have been a simple cash grab like most movies with a toy tie in but it's not. It's better than any competition Frozen faced in 2013 for certain.

Among the major studios, Pixar will not have a release in 2014, having put off The Good Dinosaur. Disney's only animated release this year (that I'm aware of) will be Big Hero 6, a joint effort with Marvel. DreamWorks will release How To Train Your Dragon 2, Mr. Peabody & Sherman (of Rocky & Bullwinkle fame), and Home, an adaption of a children's book about an alien invasion. Blue Sky is releasing Rio 2. Illuminations will release Minions.

I hope it's a better year for animated films, but I think any of these movies will have a tough time being as good as Lego.
__________________

Last edited by surferdave; 02-10-2014 at 07:31 AM.
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #21
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
I think the problem is that the pool is too small to draw from. I'd almost like to see the award every 3rd year of something like that. It's like "hey, there were 5 major animated films, so we'll nominate all but one, and then pick which was the best, when in reality the best was a B+". They grade some of these smaller categories on a curve. And when you have a bunch of B-quality films, it almost doesn't matter which you nominate.
Actually there were more than 5 http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...year=2013,2013 but I do agree that the group was weak.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #22
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
Agreed...MU was a better flick than the Croods (which I didn't mind) and Despicable Me 2. It doesn't deserve to win, but it does deserve a nom.

Animation Oscar is weird... I mean, Brave did not deserve to win last year over Wreck It Ralph; there have been some snubs in the past, etc.
Yes...It's all subjective

I would argue that Tangled was a more significant, lasting, better movie than toy story 3

And even the song lost... And as I have said ( here it comes again)... "I see the light" was the best combination of story, animation and song of any sequence since "A Whole New World"

And I'm NOT a big fan of the endless princess Schlick...but this was hard to argue with.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #23
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
The early movie to beat in 2014, against all odds, is The Lego Movie.

It could have been a simple cash grab like most movies with a toy tie in but it's not. It's better than any competition Frozen faced in 2013 for certain.

Among the major studios, Pixar will not have a release in 2014, having put off The Good Dinosaur. Disney's only animated release this year (that I'm aware of) will be Big Hero 6, a joint effort with Marvel. DreamWorks will release How To Train Your Dragon 2, Mr. Peabody & Sherman (of Rocky & Bullwinkle fame), and Home, an adaption of a children's book about an alien invasion. Blue Sky is releasing Rio 2. Illuminations will release Minions.

I hope it's a better year for animated films, but I think any of these movies will have a tough time being as good as Lego.
Once again, Disney Animation under John Lasseter's leadership is (potentially) being underestimated by many. With their current track record, I'm fairly confident Big Hero 6 will be a contender.
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #24
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now
 
surferdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,475

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSpaceshipEarth View Post
Once again, Disney Animation under John Lasseter's leadership is (potentially) being underestimated by many. With their current track record, I'm fairly confident Big Hero 6 will be a contender.
I certainly hope so, I want to see more good movies this year! I do believe that WB has set the very bar high early in the game.
__________________
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #25
alweg
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12

An even bigger snub - no Blue Umbrella for best animated short

I think MU should easily have been nominated over The Croods. MU character development is superb. The animation is stunning (look at the lighting and textures - phenominal!)

But...how in the world did Blue Umbrella miss the nomination??? It was jaw-dropping IMO.
alweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #26
JillianMarie
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 155

Monsters University wasn't necessarily bad - it was just really boring. Which I think is worse than being bad. I haven't seen it but I'm sure The Croods is also terrible. Neither of them should be nominated for an Oscar.
JillianMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #27
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillianMarie View Post
Monsters University wasn't necessarily bad - it was just really boring. Which I think is worse than being bad. I haven't seen it but I'm sure The Croods is also terrible. Neither of them should be nominated for an Oscar.
Wow..."boring"? I thought it was highly entertaining and the animation was absolutely state of the art. "The Croods"(which I have seen, unfortunately) is bein ridiculously propped up by the Academy for reasons I can't even fathom.
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #28
yoshi2010
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3

Yeah, I find it very hard to believe that MU wasn't nominated. It is definitely superior to that of The Croods. I started watching The Croods and 20 minutes into it, I just gave up watching it. I didn't feel attached to the characters and what was going on. Even though it's an animated movie, the physics and weight of the grandma running and the girl jumping and climbing all over didn't feel believable (coming from an animator's eye). Despicable Me 2 I have not seen yet so I really can't say whether it's worthy or not. I feel comfortable with the other nominations. I REALLY hope Frozen wins. I will be devastated if Frozen doesn't get the award.
yoshi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #29
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2010 View Post
Yeah, I find it very hard to believe that MU wasn't nominated. It is definitely superior to that of The Croods. I started watching The Croods and 20 minutes into it, I just gave up watching it. I didn't feel attached to the characters and what was going on. Even though it's an animated movie, the physics and weight of the grandma running and the girl jumping and climbing all over didn't feel believable (coming from an animator's eye). Despicable Me 2 I have not seen yet so I really can't say whether it's worthy or not. I feel comfortable with the other nominations. I REALLY hope Frozen wins. I will be devastated if Frozen doesn't get the award.
Like most DreamWorks films...The Croods was awful. It's a crime that it's a contender and Monsters University is not.
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #30
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,620

I do indeed believe MU was snubbed. Lets face it, if 2 Disney animated movie were nominated the other animated studios would be crying and yelling.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: