Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
jplee3
Mouseketeer

Cozumel San Gervasio Tours?

Hey all,

I was researching into ruins tours and was interested in only checking out the ruins *on* Cozumel. I noticed Disney offers a tour, and I found at least one or two private tour companies who also offer tours. I noticed this company no longer offers the tours though:
http://www.cozumel-tours.com/san-gervasio.htm

Has anyone gone on one of these tours who can shed some light? Any advice on who to go with if not through Disney? Or is Disney really the best value? It seems to be a pretty good value at $74, considering this one is charging $85:
http://cozumelchoice.com/tours-2/may...ns-in-cozumel/
jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
ajrwdwgirl
Mouseketeer

A couple of years ago, 2012, my husband and I went to Cozumel from Playa del Carmen and at the boat dock there were lots of taxis. We hired one for about 4 hours and it was about $50-60 and the taxi driver took us wherever we wanted. One of those places was the ruins. He stopped at a couple of beaches and a beach bar we wanted to go to. It was nice because he was friendly enough but not invasive and we did everything on our schedule, not a tour groups schedule. I would recommend this as an option too.
ajrwdwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

I really am sorry I don't remember the cost, something makes me want to say about $50 total, plus tip....but my husband and I and two teens just caught a taxi after getting off the ship and had him take us there. We paid the minimal entrance fee and toured on our own. Our taxi driver waited and talked to his friends until we were ready to go.
Since we went as soon as we got off the ship, we missed all of the tour bus crowds, the teens got to shop in port, and we got back on the ship to enjoy the pools with no crowds.
We would have had plenty of time to go to a beach, if we'd wanted to.

The biggest piece of advice.....take bugspray with DEET. No matter what time of year, the mosquitoes are pretty bad.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
jplee3
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys! Hm that definitely sounds like an option, although it would be nice to get in on a guided tour. Was touring on your own pretty sufficient? Did you have any audio guides or reading material that you could follow and get more in-depth info on as you went through the site? My parents, especially, would be interested in this if we don't go with a tour guide (of course, they'd probably want one though). I do like this option because we could tell the cab driver to just drop us off at Chankanaab right after
Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
jplee3
Mouseketeer

BTW are there onsite tour guides at San Gervaisio? Or is it an absolute-must that we find and book one *before* we get there?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

I did a taxi tour in Cozumel last January (a year ago). A friend and I shared the taxi with a family we met at the taxi stand. Worked out great! The driver took us to San Gervasio and then out to the scenic end of the island before making our way back to the pier. Also stopped at a tequila hacienda for a brief tour.

From what I remember, the entry fee for the ruins was $8 cash US. There were guides on site you could hire, maybe $20?

We didn't use a guide and found our own way. There are some signs to interpret things for you. But you'll definitely get a more in-depth view using a guide.

I don't hesitate to recommend using a taxi to get out there. If you don't want the entire island tour, they will just take you to the ruins and back.

If you want a fully guided island tour, there are plenty of drivers offering their services when you first enter the pier area. I don't know if they can accompany you into San Gervasio. But you'll find the taxi stand at the back of the pier mall area on the ground level. The prices are much better there but your driver may or may not speak great English.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
BTW are there onsite tour guides at San Gervaisio? Or is it an absolute-must that we find and book one *before* we get there?
There are quite a few guides available there, for a fee, but they gave us a map, and we didn't have any trouble on our own.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
jplee3
Mouseketeer

Thanks all for the tips! Roughly, how much time did you spend there (either with a guided tour or on your own)?

I'm trying to figure out how long we'll need/want to stay at the ruins to explore before making it back for the dolphin swim at Chankanaab. Not sure what time to choose for the dolphin swim but they have a 1pm, 2pm and 3:30pm. I definitely don't want to cut our time too short for Chankanaab as a place to just relax and chill out.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #9
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

We were on the grounds about an hour, non-guided. Maybe two hours with a guide? There are some small shops there, too. Google Maps says 40 minutes travel time each way. That sounds about right, maybe just a little less.

If you book the last dolphin swim time, you can arrive at Chankanaab at any time and not be too rushed at the ruins.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #10
jplee3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
We were on the grounds about an hour, non-guided. Maybe two hours with a guide? There are some small shops there, too. Google Maps says 40 minutes travel time each way. That sounds about right, maybe just a little less.

If you book the last dolphin swim time, you can arrive at Chankanaab at any time and not be too rushed at the ruins.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize this but I somehow came across the fact that the ship time will be an hour later than Cozumel island time. We're supposed to be back onboard by 5:45 ship time, which means 4:45 island time I guess... I think the latest time (3:30) might be pushing it too close so I went ahead and scheduled the 2pm time. I figure, per the ship/island time, we'll be on land probably around 8am and we can just take our time getting over to San Gervaisio and back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: