Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
DurangoJim
Earning My Ears

Luggage transfers to WDW from DCL with Disney transportation?

Just wondering if Disney now transfers your luggage directly to your WDW resort room like ME when using Disney transfers after a Disney cruise? I read they do since they can now check your luggage through to an airline. I've heard conflicting reports.
Thanks!
DurangoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJim View Post
Just wondering if Disney now transfers your luggage directly to your WDW resort room like ME when using Disney transfers after a Disney cruise? I read they do since they can now check your luggage through to an airline. I've heard conflicting reports.
Thanks!
No. You must claim your bags in the terminal (after leaving them outside your room the last night), carry them through Customs, and then hand them to the bus driver to be stored in the bottom of the bus. At your resort you again claim your bags from the bus driver. Usually a bellhop will be right there to take your bags.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJim View Post
Thanks!
If your luggage is going to MCO on a participating airline, then yes, luggage service is provided.

If you're taking DCL transfers to a WDW resort, then no, you have to take your own luggage to the bus. Fortunately there are friendly porters who are quite willing to help.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
DurangoJim
Earning My Ears

Thanks, that's what I thought but had read differently.
DurangoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
If your luggage is going to MCO on a participating airline, then yes, luggage service is provided.

If you're taking DCL transfers to a WDW resort, then no, you have to take your own luggage to the bus. Fortunately there are friendly porters who are quite willing to help.
I just want to clarify bolded above....luggage transfer to your airline is ONLY if you are registered for the ONBOARD AIRLINE CHECK-IN PROGRAM. It is not automatic just because you have DCL transfers booked. There are certain parameters that have to be met with your flight in order to take part in the OAC program.

Many people assume just because they have transfers booked from port to MCO that their bags will be handled all the way through to their airline....this is NOT the case. If you have not registered for the OAC program you MUST claim your bags in the terminal, take them through customs and bring them out to the bus to be put underneath for the ride to the airport. You would then check your bags at the airport yourself.

If your flight fits the parameters AND you booked transfers AND you register for the OAC program then your bags will taken care from the hallway the night before to your home airport. DCL will check you in for your flight and your airline boarding passes and airline luggage tags will be delivered to your cabin.

Any DCL transfers to a WDW hotel will require you to claim your bags and bring them through customs and out to the bus for the ride to the WDW resort.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Yes, only certain airlines will take care of your bags. We're flying Southwest and we'll have to get our own luggage on the morning we get off the ship.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
Yes, only certain airlines will take care of your bags. We're flying Southwest and we'll have to get our own luggage on the morning we get off the ship.
There is hope for SW passengers.....DCL is in a trial run right now on the Fantasy with SW so hopefully it will be introduced on all DCL ships out of PC.

MJ
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Old 02-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
There is hope for SW passengers.....DCL is in a trial run right now on the Fantasy with SW so hopefully it will be introduced on all DCL ships out of PC.

MJ
I doubt this will change by our cruise, but that does give me hope. Especially since they already have Airtran on the program.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
disgirl14
Earning My Ears

Magical Express

How exactly does it work if you are taking the Magical Express to Port Canavarel from a WDW resort? Is there a specific time, and how does the luggage transportation work?
disgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgirl14 View Post
How exactly does it work if you are taking the Magical Express to Port Canavarel from a WDW resort? Is there a specific time, and how does the luggage transportation work?
Welcome to the cruise board!!!

On the way TO the port from a WDW resort is pretty seamless. You will get instructions upon check-in at the resort with specific times but basically all resorts have a pick up time between 11:30-12:30 which gets you to the port approx. 12-30-1:30 (it is a bit over an hour to the port from WDW). Make sure you mention to the CM checking you in that you are taking DCL transfers to the port to make sure you get the letter. They won't know that you are cruising unless you tell them.

On the morning of the cruise you will leave your checked bags inside your hotel room and DCL will come and pick them up and transport them to the ship. They will arrive at your cabin before 5:00 pm (usually much earlier) so if there is anything you need to have on you before your checked bags (valuables, medicine, etc.) are delivered keep them in your carry ons. You will meet at the time/place specified on the letter you will get and wait for the bus. You will board the bus with your carry ons.

They will play a DCL video and some Disney cartoons on the bus. It is very convenient!

MJ
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Old 02-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgirl14 View Post
First, Magical Express is a free shuttle between MCO and WDW resorts and back. Transfers between WDW resorts or MCO to the port are operated by DCL transportation and costs $35.00 per person each way.

If you purchase DCL transfers from WDW to port, you will receive a letter the last night in your room telling you your exact procedures.

Basically, you will be directed to have your checked bags ready for pickup by 8:00 am the morning of the cruise. You leave them inside your room (with DCL luggage tags affixed). Luggage is transferred to the port by truck.

You will also be told what time to be at the meeting point (usually somewhere in the lobby area). This pick up window is generally in the 11:30-12:30 window. Each bus may or may not pick up at 1 or more resorts until full. Once full, it will head for the port, arriving around 12:30-1:30.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: