Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
sugarsugar1
Earning My Ears

Help.so confused. I already PIF, but...

I've been reading about travel insurance. I never realized how important this is. My questions are:
Is it too late since having already paid in full, to purchase insurance?
If not, who is recommended and what coverage do I want?
We don't have any pre-existing conditions, do not plan on canceling, but mostly want to be protected if one of us gets sick, and we CANT board, OR we get sick on the ship and need to be medically evacuated. Which plan should I get?

This trip cost 8 grand in total and I'd be crushed if say one of the kids are sick pre boarding and we can't board...AND we lose our money.

Thank you in advance.
sugarsugar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar1 View Post
I've been reading about travel insurance. I never realized how important this is. My questions are:
Is it too late since having already paid in full, to purchase insurance?
If not, who is recommended and what coverage do I want?
We don't have any pre-existing conditions, do not plan on canceling, but mostly want to be protected if one of us gets sick, and we CANT board, OR we get sick on the ship and need to be medically evacuated. Which plan should I get?

This trip cost 8 grand in total and I'd be crushed if say one of the kids are sick pre boarding and we can't board...AND we lose our money.

Thank you in advance.
I suggest you go to http://www.*****************/, better yet, go to the website and get the phone number to call them. The people that answer the phone are really helpful and will assist you in getting what you need.

It's an insurance comparison site, so not just one company is represented there.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
klepton
Mouseketeer

You can definitely buy insurance after you PIF, I buy after or around that on nearly every cruise. The only catch is on some policies there will be provisions that are only covered if you purchase the policy within 14-21 days of the first payment for your trip. These vary by policy, sometimes it's pre-existing medical conditions, sometimes "cancel for any reason."

While it's not hard to find a good well-rounded policy, the primary things I look for are trip interruption and medical/medivac coverage. Those are the things that would put a tremendous financial burden on my family if we had to cover ourselves. Being out the money we paid for vacation wouldn't destroy us financially, so that's less of a concern to me, but I usually get a policy that covers at least a portion of the trip costs.

The PP is correct, www.***************** is an excellent resource for travel insurance.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
sugarsugar1
Earning My Ears

Thank you!
I took this advice and bought insurance through *****************. I purchased a plan through RoamRight that covers canceling a trip for unforeseen reasons (like if someone gets sick and we aren't able to board, trip interruption, and the medical evac. 150 dollars for a fan of four.
Thanks! I feel at peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by klepton View Post
You can definitely buy insurance after you PIF, I buy after or around that on nearly every cruise. The only catch is on some policies there will be provisions that are only covered if you purchase the policy within 14-21 days of the first payment for your trip. These vary by policy, sometimes it's pre-existing medical conditions, sometimes "cancel for any reason."

While it's not hard to find a good well-rounded policy, the primary things I look for are trip interruption and medical/medivac coverage. Those are the things that would put a tremendous financial burden on my family if we had to cover ourselves. Being out the money we paid for vacation wouldn't destroy us financially, so that's less of a concern to me, but I usually get a policy that covers at least a portion of the trip costs.

The PP is correct, www.***************** is an excellent resource for travel insurance.
sugarsugar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
rramsr
Mouseketeer

I purchased the insurance through DCL $177.20. Does that not cover what the other insurance companies cover? When I added it they told me that it does cover those same things.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

DCL's coverage never offers PEx conditions because it is not purchased by DCL until the PIF date for your cruise. It also tends to be more expensive than getting the same coverage on your own. We have always purchased insurance through the company DCL uses, and the kids have been covered for free...unlike DCL's option.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
rsschneck
DIS Party Bus Queen

If purchased through DCL if you need to make a claim and the insurance company denies your claim Disney will allow any non-refundable portion to go towards a future cruise.

Insurance can and does deny claims so it is nice to know you aren't out your money if you plan sailing with DCL in the future anyway.

rsschneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
klepton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar1 View Post
Thank you!
I took this advice and bought insurance through *****************. I purchased a plan through RoamRight that covers canceling a trip for unforeseen reasons (like if someone gets sick and we aren't able to board, trip interruption, and the medical evac. 150 dollars for a fan of four.
Thanks! I feel at peace
Glad it worked out for you! :-) I'll typically pay $120-$150 for our family of four for $7-$10k vacations, so that's right in line. The comparison feature at ***************** is very useful. Now remember to print out your policy and take it with you on your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramsr View Post
I purchased the insurance through DCL $177.20. Does that not cover what the other insurance companies cover? When I added it they told me that it does cover those same things.
As stated there are pros and cons to using DCL insurance, it's best to look at the policies offered and compare yourself. In my experience we've always done better buying a policy ourselves rather than booking through the cruise line (any cruise line), but different people have different needs and I wouldn't rule out DCL insurance being the best fit for you in your particular situation.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: