Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
ScubaMama
Mouseketeer

Can doctor disembark you at Castaway Cay?

I know the doctor can disembark you at the next port for medical problems. Is Castaway Cay one of the ports where they can leave you?
My baby sounds congested from a cold and from previous experience, I know with babies it can become wheezing, RSV or an ear infection. On our way to the port now. I just want to have worst case scenario in mind. I know they have nebulizer and albuterol on the ship if his breathing were to become worse.
ScubaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Prose
DIS Veteran

Since the only scheduled transportation out of CC ais Disney Cruise ships and the ferry for island employees who live on neighboring islands, highly doubtful. Most likely scenario is they would quarantine you to your stateroom.
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14

Last edited by Prose; 01-31-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Because yes, I do know subject-verb case agreement :-)
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I a passenger is urgently ill enough to need outside care, the ship's medical staff can arrange for that at any port or even at sea (airlift). That said, there are no services on Castaway Cay other than DCL -- it is not a "regular" port, no immediate access to hospital, medical, pharmacy, hotels, shops. So to leave CC one would need to be airlifted. It may be preferrable to do so from CC (there is a small runway) rather than directly off the ship at-sea, but that would be the doctor's call as to whether the patient could wait until arrival at CC.

I hope your baby recovers from his cold without further complications! (Been there, done that, glad I wasn't on a cruise at the time). Good luck!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

They will not leave you at CC since there are no facilities there. If the emergency was that extreme, they would most likely send a boat from Freeport to meet the ship (this is what happened on our sea day on the Dream). We just sailed close to Freeport and they sent a boat out to meet the ship and pick up the passengers that needed medical assistance.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
ScubaMama
Mouseketeer

Thank you all so much for your quick reply! I'm glad that being left at Castaway Cay is an unlikely scenario. It brings down the stress a little bit. We booked a month ago so the baby doesn't have a passport and it's only three days. Since they have albuterol, worst case would be dehydration since he's not eating at much as usual. Quarantining wouldn't matter to me if the baby got worse but I would also be surprised. If he did have RSV, that is contagious but adults and kids have RSV constantly and think it's just a bad cold. Babies get it and have a rough time breathing. I hope he gets better soon. He's had a cold for a week but he just started seriously teething yesterday. It's the first time he's barely nursing. My first would also get congested when he's teething. Best case scenario, he's super congested from teething and the cold that he's almost over. Teething pain subsides very soon and he's back to nursing! Thank you again! :-)
ScubaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaMama View Post
Thank you all so much for your quick reply! I'm glad that being left at Castaway Cay is an unlikely scenario. It brings down the stress a little bit. We booked a month ago so the baby doesn't have a passport and it's only three days. Since they have albuterol, worst case would be dehydration since he's not eating at much as usual. Quarantining wouldn't matter to me if the baby got worse but I would also be surprised. If he did have RSV, that is contagious but adults and kids have RSV constantly and think it's just a bad cold. Babies get it and have a rough time breathing. I hope he gets better soon. He's had a cold for a week but he just started seriously teething yesterday. It's the first time he's barely nursing. My first would also get congested when he's teething. Best case scenario, he's super congested from teething and the cold that he's almost over. Teething pain subsides very soon and he's back to nursing! Thank you again! :-)
Best of luck and I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!!
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
officereg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaMama View Post
I know the doctor can disembark you at the next port for medical problems. Is Castaway Cay one of the ports where they can leave you?
If they did I would fake an illness in a heartbeat.
DD-Peyton 4
DD-Logann 1
officereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

No they won't leave you there. They can medivac you to a location with medical facilities
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by officereg View Post
I have sandandsunopenia! I need to be left behind at Castaway Cay!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by officereg View Post
Yeah there would be a line at the ship drs the night before
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

What about the medical questionaire? If a CM noticed the baby was sick, could they be prohibited from boarding?

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
What about the medical questionaire? If a CM noticed the baby was sick, could they be prohibited from boarding?
The questionnaire doesn't ask about wheezing, etc.:

Although it does ask about runny noses IN ADDITION TO fever.

I think there could be an issue if the OP wants to leave her child in the nursery, however.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 02-01-2014 at 09:02 PM.
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
Pixiedustaway07
Earning My Ears

Can you get him checked out by your pediatrician before you leave? They can confirm if it is RSV if you are worried. Our 9 month old came down with a bad cold and a case of croup on our cruise. We had a very sleepless night letting her try to soothe her airways on the balcony with the humid air. It was miserable. They gave her a breathing treatment and steroids when the medical office opened. They were extremely nice though. We didn't get quarantined or anything. As far as filling out the health questionnaire I don't think they are going to notice your kid is sick, unless he looks ridiculously ill. There's a lot of tired, cranky looking kids exhausted from traveling on boarding day.
Pixiedustaway07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

We met the ships nurse one day at the pirate bar is Nassau he was off. As a nurse always seemed to be attracted to others. This was some years ago I think 2007. Well he was telling us the importance of filling out the form. He said the cruisel before the family of a sick toddler did not fill it out correctly the child was pretty sick and the child had to be evacuated via emergency helicopter from CC. On the other spectrum he has been asked to see patients prior to boarding and denied them boarding as well. Just something to think of.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

If you have to go to the medical center on board, the cost will be added to your stateroom account and must be paid prior to disembarkation. My DD was there for an hour getting an IV of saline which cost us $1078. We had to submit to insurance once we returned home for reimbursement. Just make sure you have enough credit to pay for the services on board in case you need them.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic