Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #76
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

This rubs me the wrong way for a couple of additional reasons I didn't see mentioned here (apologies if I missed it and I'm being redundant). First, I hate it when people demand that someone else create something. And second, "entertainment" intended to promote some social issue like this never fails to come across as preachy and, therefore, not entertaining. It certainly wouldn't bother me a bit to see a less waif-ish princess (I loved Frozen, for example, but I don't find Anna's and Elsa's appearances to be appealing at all--too thin, eyes too big, etc.) but I don't think Disney has some sort of moral obligation to see to it that all body types, races, etc. are represented in the princess pantheon.

And FWIW, when my daughters were very young I agonized--unnecessarily, I now believe--about Barbies and Disney princesses and body image and too many plastic toys and yada yada yada. What I learned is that my girls seem to take their cues about what's attractive and healthy from real people in their lives, not from dolls and fictional characters (I do still put unrealistically Photoshopped media images and such in a different category). Until recently (my youngest is 11) we had a basement full of Barbies, including plenty of Disney princess ones, most of whom ended up in crazy mismatched outfits with even crazier haircuts. My dd's and their friends built an entire neighborhood starting with a doll house and the Barbie dream house but expanded to include other "buildings" and "furniture" improvised out of other toys and miscellaneous stuff they found down there. It was all rather creative and they had countless hours of fun with those toys, but it was also messy and childlike and not "idealized" at all. I don't think they really cared what those dolls looked like and I think people need to relax.

Last edited by fitzperry; 02-15-2014 at 08:31 PM.
fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #77
myadventurebook
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzperry View Post
This rubs me the wrong way for a couple of additional reasons I didn't see mentioned here (apologies if I missed it and I'm being redundant). First, I hate it when people demand that someone else create something. And second, "entertainment" intended to promote some social issue like this never fails to come across as preachy and, therefore, not entertaining.
Hi everyone,

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to throw in my two cents because there are some really harsh things being said. Firstly, I agree with fitzperry that things with a specific agenda come off as preachy, so Disney probably shouldn't make a movie specifically with a plus-sized princess in mind. However, someone had the idea of a plus-sized sidekick who maybe saved the princess or something like that, and I really liked that idea.

I also wanted to bring up that there have been movies with some more normal and larger sized characters. Lilo and Stitch is the most obvious example. Nani had a more normal to plus-sized body, and I always look to that as a more positive example.

I wanted to address something though. Some people (almost all here) are being extremely harsh towards overweight people when, in fact, many overweight people cannot help that they are overweight. Myself, I have gained 20 pounds over the last four months even though I exercise every day and eat healthy. I have recently discovered that I have a thyroid issue, which causes me to gain weight no matter what lifestyle choices I make. There are so many others out there like me, and not everyone is simply a disgusting person who sits around eating cheeseburgers all day like some here are suggesting.

Thanks for listening. I know I am new here so please don't attack me!

Last Trip: November 2013/Pop
Next Trip: May 2015/TBD
myadventurebook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #78
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myadventurebook View Post
Hi everyone,

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to throw in my two cents because there are some really harsh things being said. Firstly, I agree with fitzperry that things with a specific agenda come off as preachy, so Disney probably shouldn't make a movie specifically with a plus-sized princess in mind. However, someone had the idea of a plus-sized sidekick who maybe saved the princess or something like that, and I really liked that idea.

I also wanted to bring up that there have been movies with some more normal and larger sized characters. Lilo and Stitch is the most obvious example. Nani had a more normal to plus-sized body, and I always look to that as a more positive example.

I wanted to address something though. Some people (almost all here) are being extremely harsh towards overweight people when, in fact, many overweight people cannot help that they are overweight. Myself, I have gained 20 pounds over the last four months even though I exercise every day and eat healthy. I have recently discovered that I have a thyroid issue, which causes me to gain weight no matter what lifestyle choices I make. There are so many others out there like me, and not everyone is simply a disgusting person who sits around eating cheeseburgers all day like some here are suggesting.

Thanks for listening. I know I am new here so please don't attack me!
No attacks, promise!

It's true that sluggish thyroid affects the weight (before treatment) by water retention especially, but it's like you said that it's mostly a relatively mild weight gain not morbid obesity that is commonly blamed for it. I can understand the fight to keep 10-15 lbs. off, but it has been shown that with treatment weight gain is minimal and not necessarily caused by a thyroid problem.

Still say that having overweight 'role models' like Disney princesses, etc. is not the way to have overweight children feel good about themselves. It's fantasy - not realistic at all, and that's the way it should be enjoyed by all.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #79
Josh Hendy
Wet Behind The Ears

It seems to be an axiom of moviemaking that the public nearly always prefers to see people that are significantly more better-looking, wealthier and with far nicer homes, clothing and vehicles than the average member of the public.

Don't just look at Disney animated films, look at their live-action movies, especially the ones set in the here-and-now. Nearly every non-evil character and most of the bad guys are not just good looking, but jaw-droppingly beautiful or handsome. Trim bodies with better-than-average musculature, posture, skin, hair and every other physical trait.

They live in really big houses with really cool features like huge kitchens and family rooms, multi-car garages, etc. and they drive super-nice cars. Check out their clothes, how expensive and how extremely well-fitting, neat, clean and well-pressed they are.

The parents are usually quite wealthy or at least with very comfortable, secure professional jobs or some kind of (inexplicably) extremely highly paid "artistic" type job that means they work a small number of hours at home in a glamorous-looking studio.

And Disney is not one little bit different from any other major movie studio.

So I think there's nothing against overweight people at all, any more than there's a bias against people with acne, small apartments, beater cars and dead-end jobs. People vote with their $$$ to see people who are better-off than them in nearly every way.

Besides, we've already had a couple of real-sized "princesses" in animated movies. Lilo and her sister Nani were noticeably more chubby than the average in most movies. And outside of the Disney world, practically the whole point of the movie Shrek was about bigger-sized people learning to be happy with themselves and teaching the rest of the world to accept them and leave them alone.
Josh Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #80
Plutolover123
Earning My Ears

I don't know of I should agree or disagree with this...I understand both points of view but honestly if Disney was trying to get every kind of princess, then Disney should make a plus sized princess or else the whole concept is a pointless end-ever.
Plutolover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #81
AlexLovesCats
Earning My Ears

As a little girl I remember sometimes being envious of the princesses. But not ever for the way they looked. I wished I could be a mermaid and swim all day like Ariel, or be as brave as Pocohantas, or be as kind as Belle.

I really think that little girls are more enamored by the personalities of the princesses and what they achieve in their story. They aren't thinking about how their body looks in comparison to a cartoon character in a movie unless they have a pretty severe insecurity brought on from something else in their lives.

I really feel that if a little girl has grown up hearing from loved ones that she is beautiful how she is then she won't feel inferior when watching a cartoon movie.

If changes are to be made anywhere regarding this issue with Disney then it should be in Disney shows with kid/teen actors in them. Kids tend to compare themselves to kids their own age on TV, especially ones they see as popular or attractive in the show. I do feel like Disney does a good job at casting all types of kids in their Disney channel shows.

AlexLovesCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #82
old lady
DIS Veteran

Looks are not everything.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #83
TooExcitedCantSleep
I can't with you basic chicks

Haha! This girl was on the Today Show this morning----just a few seconds ago! NBC/Comcast quit yer hatin' on Disney! She now has over 30,000 signatures and was also featured on Fox News. This means we will not see a plus sized princess now that Comcast/NBC has decided to get involved....like they really care about this girl's feelings. I'm indifferent.....I don't care about princesses dress size as long as their story is good and she looks nice. Now....the public and what sells may be different.
TooExcitedCantSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #84
ldymcbth
Mom of 2

I think a plus-size princess would be great. A better start, though, would be eliminating size-based negative comments on some of the Disney shows like Jessie, ANT Farm, etc. Those shows are targeted at kids who are the perfect age to be taught NOT to bully, NOT to make harmful comments about weight, etc., and yet the number of times someone overweight is insulted or used as a punch line...

This thread is full of some really hateful comments about those who are overweight. I hope those of you on your high horses never have to take a medication that causes weight gain, or develop a metabolic syndrome that causes you to pile weight on even though you eat less than anyone in your family, or suffer an injury that keeps you from being active and makes you gain some weight, etc.
*WDW (AoA) - late Aug 2014
*DLR - fall 2014
ldymcbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #85
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

It's not just Disney that has found the formula for what sells. Take a look at Strawberry Shortcake.....

Original:

Update:

Strawberry Shortcake was a perfectly reasonable character in the 1980s and reflected the cultural demand at that time. She has been re-imagined to conform with what sells today. If there was a market demand for a more plump version of the character, the character would reflect that.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #86
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

I have struggled with weight issues regarding meds and metabolism, but through constantly battling it I keep a healthy weight. It's not so much 'how' you look (even though it does for my self image personally), but it has definitely been determined that extra weight causes health issues (or makes them worse).

I would not like to see overweight princesses at Disney for myself, or any child - why would I want to have that type of Fantasy, when in real like it would be very easy to be that way if I wanted it?

I doubt very many (if any) children would desire to have an overweight princess doll. Disney will give what we want - and most importantly, what sells!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #87
tiffmarie99
Earning My Ears

As someone who struggled (and continues to struggle) with their weight, I just wanted to add in my opinion too...when I was a young girl growing up, I loved Disney princesses, like most girls. I thought Pocahontas was gorgeous, loved Ariel's red hair, wanted to BE Belle..but never once did I ever think I couldn't be a beautiful princess just like them because of my weight. It never once popped into my head that because I was a chubby girl, with short hair and glasses, that somehow meant I wasn't a princess. My parents raised me to believe I was beautiful, I was perfectly okay..if anything my mothers constant need to say she needed/had to/wanted to lose weight made me feel worse than any of the disney princesses ever did, because in my eyes my mother was the most beautiful woman, and if SHE had to lose weight and she thought so...well..then I must lose weight too! I think parents need to STEP UP and stop blaming companies for how their children feel about their bodies...it's not Disneys fault, it's really not. Kids aren't born thinking 'wow..I need to lose a few pounds' And I don't think they should have a plus size princess just to please a small group of people, I think they do a GREAT job of telling little girls that they are all beautiful and special. This is just based on my experience!
tiffmarie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #88
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
I have struggled with weight issues regarding meds and metabolism, but through constantly battling it I keep a healthy weight. It's not so much 'how' you look (even though it does for my self image personally), but it has definitely been determined that extra weight causes health issues (or makes them worse). I would not like to see overweight princesses at Disney for myself, or any child - why would I want to have that type of Fantasy, when in real like it would be very easy to be that way if I wanted it? I doubt very many (if any) children would desire to have an overweight princess doll. Disney will give what we want - and most importantly, what sells!
Thank you! Finally someone else said what I was thinking...

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #89
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

The bottom line issue is two conflicting good ideas:
  1. Help overweight or otherwise different children have good self worth
  2. Do not encourage overweight as normal and healthy
The question then is: Can we give children a larger size princess or character that gives them a role model and builds their self esteem without encouraging and validating bad habits that lead to obesity?

I think so. Just because they can identify with a character that is plus sized won't make everyone go, "Look, a large size character/princess, obesity is OK!"

Both self esteem and attitudes about obesity and healthy eating ultimately reside in the home. So really one way or the other it doesn't matter whether Disney does a large size princess or not.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #90
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
It's not just Disney that has found the formula for what sells. Take a look at Strawberry Shortcake.....

Original:

Update:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY GAVE HER FINGERS

Seriously though... she is not that much smaller...legs are the same size, but now she has cankles.... head is bigger and she is taller.. but the original dress was way unflattering and now she is wearing tighter clothes and showing off that she is 'banging like a strawberry shortcake'. Plus now that she has fingers maybe she can get dressed easier....

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: