Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #16
Spyells
Why does a Walt Disney World vacation feel like an impossible dream?

I think this idea is ridiculous. I'm a plus-size woman at size 18 and I'm a huge Disney nut. I don't feel that this is needed. The only extra representation of Disney princesses I agree with is racial. Belle is my favorite princess but, as an African-American it was a nice change of pace to see Tiana become a princess. I think that cartoons are cartoons and great storytelling is what's most important. Growing up, I never focused on how skinny or fat a princess was. I just enjoyed the stories for what they were, and I hope my future children will do the same.

Until my first trip to Walt Disney World!
Spyells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Royal View Post
Honestly, this is stupid (and this is coming from a teen who is apparently 'plus-sized' because I'm a size 12).

Princesses are fictional. They do NOT have to follow societal norms because they're not real! So of COURSE they're going to be idealized. Barbie is never going to be plus-sized either, and there's a reason behind that. Idealized sells.

If you want to show your girls a 'real woman role model', tell stories about the strong and powerful women in your family or in history, regardless of their size. Or, you can show girls ACTUAL princesses (at least one in this list appears bigger than average: http://www.theveryfairyprincess.com/princesses.html).

I'd much rather go through an old photo album and show my daughter pictures of her plus-sized grandmother or aunt and share stories of their personal courage and triumph instead of relying on an enormous entertainment conglomerate to do it for me.
This! It is up to parents to teach their children the proper healthy body image.

Someone used the key word; CARICATURE! a caricature is an exaggerated expression of something. Women are given exaggerated curves and men are given exaggerated shoulders and tiny waists. It is so the cartoon communicates easily who is who.

Why does nobody talk about the ridiculously muscular good guys? (Those huge shoulders and tiny waists.) All the poor boys will think they have to become body builders.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
DisneyDreamer2504
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
This! It is up to parents to teach their children the proper healthy body image. Someone used the key word; CARICATURE! a caricature is an exaggerated expression of something. Women are given exaggerated curves and men are given exaggerated shoulders and tiny waists. It is so the cartoon communicates easily who is who. Why does nobody talk about the ridiculously muscular good guys? (Those huge shoulders and tiny waists.) All the poor boys will think they have to become body builders.
This is so true! People only ever complain about the overly skinny princesses, but no one is petitioning for less "idealized" men!

Sept '10 - Wonder
Sept '11 - WDW Caribbean Beach/Dream - Honeymoon!
May '12 - AKV
Sept '13 - SSR/FANTASY
DisneyDreamer2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Exclamation Petition is gaining momentum and national press-18K in signatures

TIME Magazine: Teen Girl Asks Disney to Make a Plus-Size Princess

Virginia high school junior Jewel Moore says a plus-size Disney princess would do a world of good for girls who feel ugly for not fitting the skinny animated stereotype

Video Newsfeed: http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/02/04/...size-princess/

Quote:
Virginia high school junior Jewel Moore says a plus-size Disney princess would do a world of good for girls who feel ugly for not fitting the skinny animated stereotype. Even with Disney’s latest princess movie Frozen, many have pointed out Anna’s “absurd proportions,” noting that her eyes are larger than her wrists.

“I made this petition because I’m a plus-size young woman, and I know many plus-size girls and women who struggle with confidence and need a positivie [sic] plus-size character in the media.” So far, the petition has gained more than 18,000 signatures.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #20
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

What is actually being asked for is not on a level that disney or any media can change-- a re wiring of peoples brains to no longer desire the most fit and dominant physiques. This is engrained into our sub conscious by the creating powers that be to help generate the species in the most productive way. The females are drawn to the most dominant males for protection and provision, and the males are drawn to the most fit or able bodied females for successful child bearing. Can't change it.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #21
Laketravis
FP is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way.. which one's Pink?

Okay, I'll be "That Guy" and ask the question:

If you expressed your support for Disney simply representing "life" in this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3228589

Why would you not support this aspect of the same concept? Doesn't society contain an ample (excuse the pun) percentage of Plus-Size people?

I'm surprised to see a different sort of response here (jokes about buffets, etc).
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

I certainly don't think it would be a bad idea for Disney to include a plus sized princess. I do think that Disney is moving more in that direction. Think of the animated movie, The Incredibles. At least people saw the natural results of aging and child bearing. Even with the diet and exercise, older Mr. Incredible never looks quite the same as young Mr. Incredible. Same with Elastigirl.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #23
fivebyfive
Mouseketeer

What’s next? Writing a superhero movie about a guy who saves a cat from a tree because little Johnny can’t relate to Thor?

Superhero movies are exactly what they should be; entertainment and are not real. They take us away from every day life and offer us pure 'who cares' for the length of the movie. Why on earth a princess movie should be treated ANY different is beyond me.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #24
Whatsthegoodword
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyells View Post
I think this idea is ridiculous. I'm a plus-size woman at size 18 and I'm a huge Disney nut. I don't feel that this is needed. The only extra representation of Disney princesses I agree with is racial. Belle is my favorite princess but, as an African-American it was a nice change of pace to see Tiana become a princess. I think that cartoons are cartoons and great storytelling is what's most important. Growing up, I never focused on how skinny or fat a princess was. I just enjoyed the stories for what they were, and I hope my future children will do the same.
+1. ...and I'm a white guy. I was glad to se Tiana - AND that was a great movie.

What about how the hero/men are always ridiculously proportioned as well, with huge pecs & biceps, trim waists? You don't hear us guys belly aching about that image portrayed.

Really, I just wish people would put their chin up and try harder. The end result would be better for everyone.
Whatsthegoodword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthegoodword View Post
Really, I just wish people would put their chin up and try harder. The end result would be better for everyone.
This! Very well said.

I must say though, that I come down firmly on both sides of this issue: On the one side, from the parents perspective, it is up to them to instill proper values and self esteem in their children. I know people of various sizes that never had an issue with Barbie or Disney because they were taught to ignore cultural expectations and they were given a sense of self worth.

On the other hand, from Disney's perspective, what would it hurt to have a somewhat larger princess? It would have to be written well and designed carefully, but it could be done.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #26
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

There shouldn't be an obligation to do such a thing because a few people want it.

The same way there shouldn't be an obligation to do such a thing for a princess who is mexican, or from india, or who is parapalegic, or whatever.

There can be a case made for a lot of princesses, but there's a lot more involved to a story than just "this one is fat"

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #27
pamtaro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyells View Post
Hear hear!

How dare you? All of you! Standing around deciding my future? I am not a prize to be won!

Yeah, I'm pretty much Jasmine.
pamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #28
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

I gotta say I'm on the girl's side. I don't necessarily think the princess should be plus-sized, just not the cookie cutter shape that they all seem to be. I will probably never be plus-sized but I'll also never be tall. But I know that girls go through some real changes in body shape around the time they'd be interested in princesses, which may make them feel plus-sized but they're actually normal.

So I'm happy for the diversity they've shown so far and I just want them to keep going.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #29
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Ugh......sick of people's demands. Get over it.

BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #30
LaurenPlock
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
There shouldn't be an obligation to do such a thing because a few people want it.
The petition has generated almost 23,000 signatures in a few days. Hardly "a few".
I think what we're seeing more and more is a desire for "real women" to be represented in media. Look at Dove's "Real Beauty" project, the Aerie Real campaign, and countless articles about model's un-Photoshopped pictures. I agree with a PP that people are tired of seeing "cookie cutter" princesses. People come in all shapes and sizes. I have a hard time with the "celebrating ideal image" comments, but probably because I have so many friends that have celebrated that ideal so intensely that they wound up in a hospital room with body dismorphia. But maybe that's just me.

LaurenPlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: