Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #31
saskdw
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at CSR 3 times for lengthy stays totalling 34 nights. We stayed in a different area each time. Most recently we stayed Business Class Cabanas 9B, before that Casitas 4 and Ranchos 7B. So we have experienced this resort from all sides. One thing I get a kick out of is people who complain about the size or walking distances compared to Deluxe. The reality is that if you are stuck at the far end of some Deluxes it take just as long to walk to the lobby. The only difference is you are walking in a hallway and it gives the illusion that it a shorter walk. Personally in enjoy a 5 min walk of the beautiful grounds at CSR over a hallway anyday!

We obviously love the resort or we wouldn't have gone back 2 more times. For us it is the "almost" deluxe at Moderate price.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #32
Kate0716
Earning My Ears

We are a deluxe resort family (AKL is our favorite) and we stayed in CSR this past October because it was a "free room" due to my husband's business trip. I have to say we absolutely hated CSR.

Room itself- fine. The beds were comfy but (and this shows our deluxe preference) I did not like having to keep the curtains closed to our window to have privacy. It made the room a cave.

Bathroom- a little in need of some updating and I did not like only 1 sink but ok overall.

Buses- absolutely atrocious! Too many stops at the resort made getting to the parks take forever and our buses were crowded!

Food choices-not for us and limited.

Pool- nice, but way too far away from our room in the Casitas. If pool is important, I'd reco a closer location like Cabanas.

Themeing- ok.

If you have a car, we also found getting into the unguarded, scan-in gated area a pain. So many times the magic band wouldn't scan quite right and that was frustrating. One night there was a lady who blocked the gate for 1/2 hour! Beyond frustrating.

Good luck - we did Easter week last year and it was crazy busy.

Mommy to 1 Princess & 1 Prince Charming
5/02 BC, 5/03 YC, 5/05 BC, 9/05 Pop, 11/06 Pop/BC, 5/08 AKL, 5/09 AKL, 5/10 AKL, 3/11 AKL/Dream cruise, 7/11 GF, 9/11 Pop- W&D Half Marathon, 2/12 Pop- Princess Half Marathon, 7/12 AKL , 9/12 AKL, 11/12 ASM- W&D Half Marathon, 3/13 AKL, 4/13 BC, 10/13 BC - ToT 10miler, 10/13 CSR, 2/14 Princess Half!, 3/14 AKL, 6/14 AKL
Kate0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #33
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate0716 View Post
We are a deluxe resort family (AKL is our favorite) and we stayed in CSR this past October because it was a "free room" due to my husband's business trip. I have to say we absolutely hated CSR.

Room itself- fine. The beds were comfy but (and this shows our deluxe preference) I did not like having to keep the curtains closed to our window to have privacy. It made the room a cave.

Bathroom- a little in need of some updating and I did not like only 1 sink but ok overall.

Buses- absolutely atrocious! Too many stops at the resort made getting to the parks take forever and our buses were crowded!

Pool- nice, but way too far away from our room in the Casitas. If pool is important, I'd reco a closer location like Cabanas.

Themeing- ok.

If you have a car, we also found getting into the unguarded, scan-in gated area a pain. So many times the magic band wouldn't scan quite right and that was frustrating. One night there was a lady who blocked the gate for 1/2 hour! Beyond frustrating.

To be fair, that can happen at any resort with gates. It's happened to us at the GF, WL, and BW.
Disneychick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #34
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate0716 View Post

Themeing- ok.

I have more than 50 trips in the past 15 years and have stayed at every deluxe, mod and value resort. And without a doubt, my least favorite resort is AKL. That is what makes Disney so great - something for everyone!

OP - I like CSR best of all the mods - it is a nice resort.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
want2bminnie
Mouseketeer

great info!

I will be checking in on Friday!!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #36
hill6
DIS Veteran

It was so beautiful first thing in the morning. No bus issues either. Three of our four days walked out of main lobby and right onto a bus. One was empty except for us.

Did not like the main pool. Way to crowded and noisy. Our room was by the quiet pool. We used that. There were towels there in a cart right by health club entrance.

Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #37
kellzkidz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bminnie View Post
great info!

I will be checking in on Friday!!
Woohoo!! Enjoy your stay!!

kellzkidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #38
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Did not like Pepper Market.
Hated the bus service
Dirty rooms
Thought it was too spread out
Really did not like the convention atmosphere. Buzzkill.

Loved the beauty of the resort at night
The front desk manager was great and helped with all our issues
My kids loved the pool/slide

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #39
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

Sorry, I'm going to be the "hater". There was very little we liked about this resort. As most have said, it is VERY spread out. We were in Casitas, and it was a hike to get to just about everything. The walk to the pool was ridiculous. The walk (across the parking lot) was long and not beautiful. Food choices were slim. We even ate at the "upscale" restaurant, and found the food to be average and not worth the price, and the service to be horrible. Bus service was not great - not horrible, but not great. The Pepper Market was not open all the time, so if you come back to your resort and want some food at an off time, you will be out of luck at that location. There is a "snack bar" type location that is open all the time, but the variety was not that great. It is very crowded at peak hours, but that is the case for most snack bar type locations at most resorts.

As far as the room: Nothing wrong with it comfort wise, beds were fine. Here's my biggest complaint about the rooms. Little to no cell phone/Wi-Fi service. I literally had to walk out of my room and stand in the parking lot to make a phone call. I have a major cell phone carrier, so it wasn't a matter of my phone. And my phone works just fine in every other part of the property. Accessing internet was spotty at best from inside the room, but once I got outside, it was fine. So for me, to not be able to make a cellphone call from inside my hotel room was really not acceptable.

There really wasn't a ton that we liked about the resort, except for the price. I'm the first to agree with those who say that the prices of the deluxe resorts are really getting out of control. As we speak, dh and I are discussing which package to go with for this year's vacation. For me, as long as I can swing it, I'll stay with Poly.
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #40
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

We stayed at CSR in October and really loved it. It was not our first choice, but we were pleasantly surprised.

• Incredible pool and large hot tub, tropical surroundings. Kids loved it over POR and POFQ pools (stayed at POR later in our trip)
  • Great bus service - I loved the CSR music that piped in as you were going around the resort, gave the ride a nice vibe. Very close proximity to all the parks. Bus Stop 3, so we were the 2nd stop. Some buses not very crowded at all.
  • Comfortable beds (better than POR) and I liked the doors instead of a curtain.
  • Ranchos section - thought the theme was gorgeous! We requested the Cabanas so I though I would be disappointed, but it was beautiful, relaxing and quiet. We had a nice view from our room.
  • Ranchos bldg we were in had a great proximity to the Dig Site.
  • Love the gift shop staff, very friendly
  • Nice storage for clothes

Dislikes:
  • We were in the Ranchos 6A, about as far out as you could get to El Centro - so either a hike to the main building, or because we had a rental car, we would just drive to get our coffee in the AM. Minor hassle. Also far to laundry in Ranchos section
  • Front desk CM was not very pleasant at check-in, but after that they were great.
  • I would have preferred a table with 2 chair over the desk with the 2 ottomans
  • Single sink vs. double, no storage under sink or shelf. Double sink at POR was much nicer
  • Carpets were shampoo'd on our last day (usually a positive) - would have been nice if they had waited until we had checked out - soggy socks
We didn't try the restaurants.

OP, have an incredible trip!

CSR October 2013, POR October 2013
Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal circa 1995
ColonelHathi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #41
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtobrynncess View Post

As far as the room: Nothing wrong with it comfort wise, beds were fine. Here's my biggest complaint about the rooms. Little to no cell phone/Wi-Fi service. I literally had to walk out of my room and stand in the parking lot to make a phone call. I have a major cell phone carrier, so it wasn't a matter of my phone. And my phone works just fine in every other part of the property. Accessing internet was spotty at best from inside the room, but once I got outside, it was fine. So for me, to not be able to make a cellphone call from inside my hotel room was really not acceptable.
As an FYI I've had the same issues with cell phones and internet at POR and CBR. I think it has something to do with how the buildings fold around themselves. At CBR I had to walk to the beach in order to make a phone call and not have it dropped.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #42
LeeLee'sMom
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at all of the mods except POR and they all have little things I would like different but CSR is probably my favorite. Theming, pools, atmosphere, staff. Beautiful resort and we didn't notice any convention goers during the day. The only time I did see a few were very early in the morning when I would go get my coffee and they were quite nice. One of them gave me a tip to go to the the Pepper Market, even though they were not technically open, they would get you a coffee instead of waiting for Cafe Rix to open..which can be very crowded..quite small. Our DD loved the pool/slide and the snack bar at the pool was surprisingly good. All in all when we go back we will either stay at CSR or give POR a try.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #43
ciera321
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
As an FYI I've had the same issues with cell phones and internet at POR and CBR. I think it has something to do with how the buildings fold around themselves. At CBR I had to walk to the beach in order to make a phone call and not have it dropped.
A friend of mine just got back from AoA and reported the same thing.

ciera321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #44
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciera321 View Post
A friend of mine just got back from AoA and reported the same thing.
We had the same problem at POP last October. Wi-Fi was a joke, so I turned it off and just used my data plan for most of the trip.

shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #45
vweryhappy
Earning My Ears

No cell reception (at&t) or wifi at Pop bldg #10. Last year when we stayed at bldg 7 Little Mermaid AoA had great reception and view of lake!
vweryhappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: