Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Food Court - I like Mexican food, so that may be why! Also liked their breakfast.
Rooms and beds were great.

Dislikes:
Resort was so big. We have gotten used to Deluxe resorts, where everything is much closer together. We were in Casita's and the walk to the main pool was quite a distance.
We had extended family with us (some older) and after breakfast we tried to just use the bus stop right near the food court.......that was a HUGE mistake!! Our only other option was to walk them all the back to the Casita's bus stop, and they were tired enough by mid week!!

Overall, if we needed to stay at a Moderate again, this would be our choice, I just don't know if I would want to be closer to the Main Pool and just have breakfast in our room instead of hauling ourselves to the food court and attempting to catch that darn bus!
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
tlady
Mouseketeer

Thanks To All!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply and for providing such detailed responses.

I am more excited than ever to try out CSR. I realize that there are always some drawbacks to any resort, but overall the responses seem to indicate that this resort is very nice indeed.

We've requested to stay in the cabanas, if possible. We'll see what happens at check-in. We'll have our own car, so being near a bus stop is not a necessity for us, but being closer to the eating establishments is.

One thing that will take some getting used to is the outside entries to each room, where other guests can be strolling by your room at any hour of the day/night via the open balconies. In the deluxe resorts you only have inside, hall access to each room, like a typical hotel. However, I'm not sure the outside access is any worse, because there have been times when we've been awakened late at night in a deluxe resort, by kids running down the halls to their rooms after staying late at a park, LOL.

I've always loved AKL and have stayed there 4 times, but perhaps it's time to try something different. The price difference is certainly a big factor. We will be there the week before Easter - ugh! Yeah, I know - crowds, crowds, crowds, but with kids in school this was the only time that worked for us. And the pricing on all rooms is jacked up for the week before Easter, to the point that we couldn't justify a deluxe resort this trip.

Again, many thanks for the responses, helpful tips, etc. You folks are great!
tlady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlady View Post
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply and for providing such detailed responses.

I am more excited than ever to try out CSR. I realize that there are always some drawbacks to any resort, but overall the responses seem to indicate that this resort is very nice indeed.

We've requested to stay in the cabanas, if possible. We'll see what happens at check-in. We'll have our own car, so being near a bus stop is not a necessity for us, but being closer to the eating establishments is.

One thing that will take some getting used to is the outside entries to each room, where other guests can be strolling by your room at any hour of the day/night via the open balconies. In the deluxe resorts you only have inside, hall access to each room, like a typical hotel. However, I'm not sure the outside access is any worse, because there have been times when we've been awakened late at night in a deluxe resort, by kids running down the halls to their rooms after staying late at a park, LOL.

I've always loved AKL and have stayed there 4 times, but perhaps it's time to try something different. The price difference is certainly a big factor. We will be there the week before Easter - ugh! Yeah, I know - crowds, crowds, crowds, but with kids in school this was the only time that worked for us. And the pricing on all rooms is jacked up for the week before Easter, to the point that we couldn't justify a deluxe resort this trip.

Again, many thanks for the responses, helpful tips, etc. You folks are great!
You're welcome. We loved staying in Cabanas 8B. It was right near the Dig Site Pool area. There's also a bridge that cuts across a small section of Lake Dorado to get to El Centro, the main building. Here's a link to the Coronado Springs map:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cspringsmap.htm

We are DVC members and mostly stay deluxe but we stay at CSR every year for a couple of nights at least because we enjoy it so much. We've found ce that the exterior corridors are less noisy than the deluxe resort's interior hallways.

Have a great trip!
Disneychick75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #19
tlady
Mouseketeer

Thanks DisneyChick! Good to hear about the noise vs. deluxe hallways.

One time at AKL, our "neighbors" next door were SO noisy, we had to call down to the front desk. We don't normally do so, but this was impossible to sleep through. Disney must have come up and talked to the people because things quieted down soon thereafter. We later found out it was a room full of underage teens, which isn't supposed to happen in the resorts. What I think happened was that the adults booked rooms in their own names and, upon arrival, let the teens all stay in the same room. Anyway, after that first incident, things were fine for the rest of the trip.

I am very excited to try out CSR. I think it's always more fun when you try new things on each Disney trip such as restaurants, resorts, etc. Keeps it exciting and fresh.
tlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #20
ciera321
DIS Veteran

I honestly can't think of one thing I don't like about CSR! We've stayed at many of the Disney resorts, but find ourselves coming back over and over to CSR. The pool, the landscaping, the theming, the different villages, a walk around the lake at night, the dedicated bus system, the location, everything!

ciera321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Disliked most of our stay at this resort. Anything that involved guest services turned out to be a disaster. Food options not what the other resorts are. Theme is not my taste.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
nkereina
Wendy Darling

As a frame of reference, we are two adults in our late 20s (no kids) and had previously stayed at Poly once and POR twice prior to our most recent trip where we stayed at CSR for 10 days.

What we liked:
* Main pool was awesome. We were there in November so it was not very crowded. It was large and clean with a nice snack bar area, and plenty of chairs.
* Housekeeping was great for the duration of our stay.
* Buses were on point for the duration of our stay. No long waits.
* Grounds were very beautiful. We stayed in Cabanas 9A but thought the Ranchos section was the nicest aesthetically.

What we didn't like:
* Pepper Market and the food options in general. Pepper Market was slow, food was mediocre, not a ton of options, and had inconvenient hours. We were longing for the POR food court which we think is great.
* The convention aspect. We didn't think anything of the fact that it was a convention resort when we booked, but conventioners definitely dominated the resort. Many suits and ties working on laptops at the tables around the lake during the day, and a very crowded Laguna Bar around 5pm. They were not rude or problematic, but their presence detracted from the vacation/resort feel we were looking for. In addition, they moved in droves and there were a few instances when we were on a bus with 15+ of them heading to DTD together.
* Due to the conventions, our sole room request of "a room in the Casitas section" could not be granted. The CM advised they were near capacity in that section due to the convention they were hosting (Casitas is closest to the convention center).
* We were in Cabanas 9A which is closest to Bus Stop 1, which is the last stop to be picked up and last stop to be dropped off (except DTD). Whenever we used this stop, we had to stand on the bus and when returning from a long day at the parks we had to decide if we wanted to make a longer walk and get off at the first stop or ride the bus for another 15 minutes around to our stop. We often would walk all the way over to Bus Stop 2 in Casitas because that stop is first to be picked up, and first to be dropped off.

Overall, our stay was good and I would stay there again but I think next trip we will try somewhere else.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

Liked:
Decor
Gardens
Pool

Disliked:
how big it was
the restaurant
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #24
kellzkidz
Mouseketeer

we love Coronado:
beautiful grounds-like slipping into another world, fantastic after a day in the parks
Maya grille
awesome pool
Cabana 9B - requested a beach front and our room was steps away from my very own hammock for morning coffee and evening stars

So far my kids favorite place to stay (over deluxe)
getting ready for our first stay at POR- from what I hear should be just as awesome!

pic is view from 9B, oh and they gave us complimentary drinks on check in day

kellzkidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #25
kkacar
Mouseketeer

Glad I found this thread.

We are staying here mid-March. My daughter has always wanted to stay at CS, so I thought well why not. My biggest concern was the size, but after staying at CBR last year, I can't see how it would be much different. After this stay we will have stayed at all the Moderates and be able to make an informed decision about what we like. So far everywhere we have stayed there have pros and cons.

Although my daughter is quite excited about the Mexican theme here. Much easier to have Taco Tuesday! LOL
kkacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellzkidz View Post
we love Coronado:
beautiful grounds-like slipping into another world, fantastic after a day in the parks
Maya grille
awesome pool
Cabana 9B - requested a beach front and our room was steps away from my very own hammock for morning coffee and evening stars

So far my kids favorite place to stay (over deluxe)
getting ready for our first stay at POR- from what I hear should be just as awesome!

pic is view from 9B, oh and they gave us complimentary drinks on check in day
That sounds like a wonderful location!! Was it near the main pool? Do you mind telling us what room #? I'd love to have a hammock to retreat to!! Thanks!!

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
me (the planner), DH ,DS 14 , DD 8 , DS 6 , and DD 2
camtheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
jwill
Hockey playing Fly Boy

CS is a tale of two resorts to me. I think I would have appreciated the theme a bit more if I was closer to the main building as there is more greenery there. We were in the far end of the resort with the Southwest desert theme and although it was well done, I never really realized how much I appreciated the trees and shrubs over the rock garden type themes.
Aside from that, the room and buildings were very nice.

The pool was really awesome and what I really appreciated was the snack bar at pool area. It was nice to have lunch there; definitely a nice perk for a moderate resort.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #28
kellzkidz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtheriot View Post
That sounds like a wonderful location!! Was it near the main pool? Do you mind telling us what room #? I'd love to have a hammock to retreat to!! Thanks!!
I wish I could remember the room # it was perfect. I sent in a fax request about 5 days ahead if time, and asked for view of the lake in Cabanas with sand and a hammock- and that's just what I got!

CM's were super nice and grounds were a really beautiful walk - not bad at all. We were about 3 minutes walk from big pyramid pool.
Word of caution my son never wanted to leave the pool!

kellzkidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #29
FancyNancy
Princess

I just got back on Friday. This was my first time staying at CSR and there really wasn't anything that I did not like about it. In fact I kept saying that we will be back next year. I'm from the Northeast so I loved the theming. I also walked around the entire resort and didn't think that anything really seemed too far away, even the Ranchos section. That being said we stayed in Cabanas 9B which was close to El Centro and the Dig Site pool. Also, we payed for business class so we had access to the business class lounge located in 9B. They served a continental breakfast in the mornings from 7-10am and were open from 5-10pm in the evenings with chips and dips, veggies and dips, cheese and crackers, beer and wines. Also around 7pm they would bring out pretzels, chocolate covered pretzels, and a fruit and nut mix. I would not hesitate to stay there again in the future.

FancyNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #30
DisneyFan2013
Mouseketeer

I stayed in a preferred room in Casitas 1 in November. I was disappointed that it wasn't that close to the main building and bus stop.

The room was clean. I only saw one ant. There was only one sink and I prefer double sinks though. The tub wasn't white and shiny inside. I was on the ground floor so there was noise when people walked by at night and I could also hear the loud fireworks blasts from Illuminations every night. No problems with convention guests.

Housekeeping- No problems. Always came during the day when we were at the parks.

Bus service- Ok. I waited over 30 minutes for an Epcot bus one evening. The buses usually weren't crowded except in the mornings when the parks first open.

Food- I liked the Pepper Market although it is expensive. I ate there for dinner twice and got the Carolina roasted chicken which I liked. I did not eat anywhere else or use the bars so I can't comment.

Theming- Attractive resort. The lake was pretty but I think it made the surrounding area windier and colder. I didn't use the pool.

Overall grade: B- I didn't have any major problems but I'd prefer to try a different resort next time.
DisneyFan2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: