Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
hedge333
Mouseketeer

Caribbean Beach Resort

We are traveling with DDs 8 and 5 in October. We are thinking of trying some place new. Several people have recommended CBR. However, I have also heard it is in need of a major update.
1. Does anyone know if an update/refurb/rehab is going to happen there by Oct.?
2.Would you recommend CBR even if there is no refurb?
3. How is the pool area? Outside of getting autographs, my girls' main objective is to get to play in the pool.

Thanks.
hedge333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

1. A refurb is starting in April.

2. I would recommend CBR even without the upcoming refurb. It is our favorite moderate.

3. The main feature pool is fantastic. We have a hard time getting our DS out to go to the parks.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
calves
Earning My Ears

We have tried all of the moderate resorts and CBR was our least favorite. We also felt needed major update! We love POR riverside first then CSR next. My daughter cried when we left POR and we were transferring to Beach Club!
calves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
pieface
Mouseketeer

C.B.R. is a nice resort but it needs a real update. It has full size beds instead of queen size. It is a huge resort which has an internal bus transport system for the resort due to its size. The food court is excellent one of the best of the moderate resorts. I agree P.O. is a better bet I love French Quarter it's a quiet small resort with access to riverside.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
mblondie0509
Mouseketeer

Here is the thread for CBR if you have not read through it yet...this is what got me excited about booking there. Taking my DS9 in October as well. Be sure to read the Trip Report by MickeysToonTown. She did a fantastic job of documenting the resort.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3032047

mblondie0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
2. I would recommend CBR even without the upcoming refurb.

3. The main feature pool is fantastic.
I agree. We've only stayed at CBR so I can't compare it to the other mods, but we had a great stay and loved everything about the resort and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Refurb

Can someone post a link to an official announcement or link to a reliable source that a refurbishment is happening this year?
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan View Post
Can someone post a link to an official announcement or link to a reliable source that a refurbishment is happening this year?
I have not seen an official announcement posted anywhere. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen anything officially from WDW about a room refurb. There's one happening right now at GF, with DIS member's pictures to prove it, and I don't remember seeing anything official on that. Mickeystoontown, a long time DIS member, has spoken directly with someone in management at CBR who confirmed it. I think she had an issue during her family's yearly stay at CBR last year. Because of that, she was given the contact information for CBR management when she was ready to book this years stay. In the process of speaking with them, it was confirmed that it was starting in April.

Mickeystoontown has been around the DIS long enough and knows how rumors can take on a life of their own. Now anything can happen, but I believe that as of now it will happen starting in April.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I would only stay at CBR in a preferred room. It is such a huge resort that it has 7 bus stops. Not being in a preferred room means a bit of a walk to the food court and to get your refillable mug filled. Plus being in a preferred room will put you near the main pool.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
policycobb
DIS Veteran

It is a very pretty resort which does need an update. I would stay there again without an update especially if the pool is important to your children. My daughter LOVED the pool.

policycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
hedge333
Mouseketeer

I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing. We stayed at POR and really liked it but from the pictures of the pool and grounds, I think my girls would really like CBR. I'm hoping there will be a refurb, just because I like the idea of staying in recently updated rooms. We're not too concerned with the size or having to walk too far. What about the Food Court? How is it?

BTW, Policycobb, we are practically neighbors, I live in western KY, too.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge333
What about the Food Court? How is it?
It's great. Good quality, plenty of choices, and it's laid out very well. We prefer it over the other moderates.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
I have not seen an official announcement posted anywhere. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen anything officially from WDW about a room refurb. There's one happening right now at GF, with DIS member's pictures to prove it, and I don't remember seeing anything official on that. Mickeystoontown, a long time DIS member, has spoken directly with someone in management at CBR who confirmed it. I think she had an issue during her family's yearly stay at CBR last year. Because of that, she was given the contact information for CBR management when she was ready to book this years stay. In the process of speaking with them, it was confirmed that it was starting in April.

Mickeystoontown has been around the DIS long enough and knows how rumors can take on a life of their own. Now anything can happen, but I believe that as of now it will happen starting in April.
Thank you for the background source. While I appreciate that and am a huge fan of Disney, many of us have had many conversations with management in which we were given inaccurate information. The "new design" of the CBR rooms along with pictures of "rooms started" was released a couple years ago, talked up big and obviously turned out to not be true. Usually when something this big is happening in less than two months we would have seen it listed by many reliable sources. Especially a resort that has rooms that needed a rehab for many years and still lacks the moderate queen beds. Leaking it would be a great way to generate interest and bookings. Not saying it's not in the planning stages at some point but I absolutely would not book there if it was important that I would get a rehabbed room based on rumor.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
kellyjeanie
DIS Veteran

CBR was the resort we stayed at last year on our first trip. We enjoyed it thoroughly, even pre-refurb. Pool was really fun, kids loved it. Food court was fine, nothing amazing but everything was hot, fast, tasty, fresh, plenty of choices. I found the bus system fine for our needs, we never waited long. I was a little disappointed at how far away we were, if we ever stayed there again I hope we're closer, but the walk wasn't really bad, such a pretty resort and the walk over the island was nice.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #15
Steve690
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at CBR over 15 times, your kids will find the main pool amazing. Although many say the resort is too big, it is peaceful, relaxing, beautiful and never feels crowed. We think the food court is great, good selections and good quality, the brownies and cookies at the grab and go are sooo good. There is nothing like having marshmallows over the fire on the beach! We will be back there in 14 days, I'll check in if I see anything new happening.
Steve690 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: