Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
grammie12
Mouseketeer

At what point do the fares start to go up?

I know the cruise fares are lowest on opening day, and then it seems I read they tend to go up shortly thereafter, but then is there a certain point they start increasing again? I want to book for April of 2015, but can't until after we get out tax money this April. ;-) So I guess I really wonder if the prices will rise in the next 2 1/2 months, or if I should hope they'll be the same when it comes time to book? TIA!
grammie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammie12 View Post
I know the cruise fares are lowest on opening day, and then it seems I read they tend to go up shortly thereafter, but then is there a certain point they start increasing again? I want to book for April of 2015, but can't until after we get out tax money this April. ;-) So I guess I really wonder if the prices will rise in the next 2 1/2 months, or if I should hope they'll be the same when it comes time to book? TIA!
Prices increase as the space fills. Some price increases are quite dramatic and often. Others take months.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
ckelly14
Lurker

Quote:
I strongly recommend Cruisefish. If you go to the home page, click "finder" in the top right, then click "Disney Cruise Line" on the top left, you can then choose the exact ship/cruise/date you wish to follow. It will have the current prices for all categories on the right. Click the price on the category you are interested in and it will show you all the price changes since inception.

A quick glance shows that all the 7 day Fantasy cruises for April 2015 have already increased by $50-100 since November. Red= bad!
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Parkerpirates
Mouseketeer

If you don't mind credit cards, one option is the Disney Rewards card. You get 0% interest for 6 months on any disney vacation. You could put your deposit on the card and slowly pay it off and then when you get your tax return pay off the balance or put it on your card by your PIF date and take another 6 months no interest on that payment. Plus right now they are offering $100-$200 statement credit (with $500 in purchases made on the card) and $50 in inboard credit.

Some people don't do credit cards, but it's an idea.
Hubby Wifey DD(4) DS(2)
Parkerpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I have an April 2015 Cruise booked (that I'm wanting to switch to summer) and I have noticed that it has gone up about $350 since I first booked on opening day.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Book now for the lowest category you can. This will result in the smallest deposit possible (20%)

Once you have he additional funds, you can change the category. You will retain your original booking rates instead of paying the potentially higher prevailing rates.

You do risk to not get the exact stateroom you want, but if you would wait anyway, this would be the best option if you can.

You can even book just two people (one would result in twice the charge anyway). The additional ones could be added later but would be based on prevailing rates.

The Disney visa gives you zero percent interest for 6 months on the deposit (as long as it's more than $100). It will also give you 1% back in reward points - you could get the Disney Visa premier that has a $50 annual fee, but gives you 2% back in reward points on Disney vacations (as well as restaurants and gas) - A cruise will typically pay for the fee with the additional points right away. The full payment will also qualify for the 6 months. You can then pre pay your tips which ALSO qualify for the 6 months. Stateroom charges will not qualify however.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

FWIW....I booked our April 6, 2015 4 night Bahamas Cruise on the Dream on opening day. Category 5E, 4A, 4C, and the price is still the same today.
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Parkerpirates
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Book now for the lowest category you can. This will result in the smallest deposit possible (20%) Once you have he additional funds, you can change the category. You will retain your original booking rates instead of paying the potentially higher prevailing rates. You do risk to not get the exact stateroom you want, but if you would wait anyway, this would be the best option if you can. You can even book just two people (one would result in twice the charge anyway). The additional ones could be added later but would be based on prevailing rates. The Disney visa gives you zero percent interest for 6 months on the deposit (as long as it's more than $100). It will also give you 1% back in reward points - you could get the Disney Visa premier that has a $50 annual fee, but gives you 2% back in reward points on Disney vacations (as well as restaurants and gas) - A cruise will typically pay for the fee with the additional points right away. The full payment will also qualify for the 6 months. You can then pre pay your tips which ALSO qualify for the 6 months. Stateroom charges will not qualify however.
Have you done this? Booked with cheapest room and then switched and still were able to keep the lowest rates you booked at, even for a more expensive, nicer cabin(I know you'll pay more for a different cabin but you still get the rate for the more expensive room if you would've initially booked it?)That may be a great plan when the new sail dates are announced.
Hubby Wifey DD(4) DS(2)
Parkerpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
grammie12
Mouseketeer

First, thanks for all the replies! My DH is totally against credit cards so that's out of the question :-( But I am totally confused about booking now in a lower category then retaining those rates when I actually book what I want? Bear with me...I'm a grandmother...it takes me longer to figure things out! Haha! Here's what I actually want to book: April 25, 2015, three cat 4A rooms together, total of 6A & 5C. Right now it's showing the fare is $16, 041.95 with a deposit of $3022.60. So what are y'all saying to book, do, and how much are we looking at?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Prices increase as the space fills. Some price increases are quite dramatic and often. Others take months.
This. It depends on the cruise and how quickly the ship is selling out. If a cruise is booking up quickly, the cost will increase and keep going up as the ship sells. If bookings are slow, it could take awhile for prices to increase.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
ksucats
Mouseketeer

I know this won't help you for this year, but if you typically use the IRS as a savings account, why not start doing this for yourself. Then you don't have to wait for a refund. Adjust your tax withholding so that your tax refund/amount due is as close to $0 as you can estimate. Then take the additional pay $ and put directly into a Vacation Savings account. Then you have access to the money when you need it (and can earn a tiny bit of interest on it) instead of letting the government sit on the money for you.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerpirates View Post
Have you done this? Booked with cheapest room and then switched and still were able to keep the lowest rates you booked at, even for a more expensive, nicer cabin(I know you'll pay more for a different cabin but you still get the rate for the more expensive room if you would've initially booked it?)That may be a great plan when the new sail dates are announced.
You don't actually get the higher category stateroom for the same price, but by booking now you'll lock in the pricing tier from today. That means once you change to a higher category -- maybe 2 months, maybe 6 months from now -- you'll have today's price FOR THAT CATEGORY rather than the prevailing rate at the time you change categories.

One catch would be for very popular cruises whether or not there will be staterooms in your preferred category at the time you are ready to change. There's no guarantee of stateroom availability of a higher category at a later date. So you do run the risk of not getting exactly what you wanted if you book low with intent to change it.

April 2015 cruises around Easter time are likely to be popular. If it's not around Easter, probably less so. But booking now with a lower category is an option for OP to keep costs down while waiting for their tax refund -- which presumably will come in the next 2-3 months. Good luck!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
grammie12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucats View Post
I know this won't help you for this year, but if you typically use the IRS as a savings account, why not start doing this for yourself. Then you don't have to wait for a refund. Adjust your tax withholding so that your tax refund/amount due is as close to $0 as you can estimate. Then take the additional pay $ and put directly into a Vacation Savings account. Then you have access to the money when you need it (and can earn a tiny bit of interest on it) instead of letting the government sit on the money for you.
Thanks for that advice! :-) But actually it's not a tax refund I'm waiting on. My husband is part owner of a company and he gets a sum of money in proportion to their profits to cover the tax on their profits and it's always greater than the tax amount itself. Does that make sense? But he won't get it until the company files which will be April 15th.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
grammie12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
You don't actually get the higher category stateroom for the same price, but by booking now you'll lock in the pricing tier from today. That means once you change to a higher category -- maybe 2 months, maybe 6 months from now -- you'll have today's price FOR THAT CATEGORY rather than the prevailing rate at the time you change categories. One catch would be for very popular cruises whether or not there will be staterooms in your preferred category at the time you are ready to change. There's no guarantee of stateroom availability of a higher category at a later date. So you do run the risk of not getting exactly what you wanted if you book low with intent to change it. April 2015 cruises around Easter time are likely to be popular. If it's not around Easter, probably less so. But booking now with a lower category is an option for OP to keep costs down while waiting for their tax refund -- which presumably will come in the next 2-3 months. Good luck!
So it essentially locks in today's rate no matter when I change categories or what category I change to?? That's awesome!! I had no idea!! Seems like everyone would book a dummy cruise on opening day, then! Is that why, when I checked cruisefish, the two lowest categories were gone already?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
So it essentially locks in today's rate no matter when I change categories or what category I change to?? That's awesome!! I had no idea!! Seems like everyone would book a dummy cruise on opening day, then! Is that why, when I checked cruisefish, the two lowest categories were gone already?
Todays' rate is different for each category. But if you book an 11C now, you can change to a 4A (or whatever you wish) in April or May and get what the 4A is listed at today. So you'll have to pay more than the "original" fare of the 11C booked, but it probably won't be at high as what the 4A costs in May. There is possibility the desired category will not be available in May, but there should be something acceptable and it gets you today's lower rates.

This is different than booking a dummy cruise. Fares are specific to each cruise date -- so if you change DATES, you would change fares to what they are on the date you make the change.

Good luck!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: