Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

AAA and Disney Cruise Line Rift?

I just got off the phone with my AAA TA and she told me as of January 19th of this year there are no AAA incentives for DCL until DCL and AAA national are able to come to some agreement. I guess from what she has heard is that they are having problems with Disney Parks also. Is Disney doing so well that they no longer have offer perks through TA's? It's unfortunate because that's the only reason I have a TA.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

I don't think it's a cause for panic, my impression is that the AAA perks come up for renewal every few years.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
HookedOnDCL1
Earning My Ears

I heard the same thing from my CAA TA, here in Canada - no DCL booking incentives this year!
HookedOnDCL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

For the last year or so, the "incentive" has been photo credits. Not worth a lot to some.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
insureman

We did get the fruit plate and photo credit this year on our 1/12 b2b Dream cruise but on the 2nd cruise there was nothing. My TA said they have never had an interruption in consecutive contracts with DCL like this where they didn't offer anything.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

We booked through them in 2013. We were told we should still get our photos, but I'm a little concerned with it. Anyone know if we will still receive our photos we were told we would get?

We also heard they no longer we're offering booking incentives.
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
I just got off the phone with my AAA TA and she told me as of January 19th of this year there are no AAA incentives for DCL until DCL and AAA national are able to come to some agreement. I guess from what she has heard is that they are having problems with Disney Parks also. Is Disney doing so well that they no longer have offer perks through TA's? It's unfortunate because that's the only reason I have a TA.
It isn't Disney offering incentives. It's AAA. They must be getting a lot of Disney bookings and feel they don't need to.
I personally never thought their incentives were that competitive and have used other TAs for nice OBCs.
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
It isn't Disney offering incentives. It's AAA. They must be getting a lot of Disney bookings and feel they don't need to.
I personally never thought their incentives were that competitive and have used other TAs for nice OBCs.
AAA must get a deal on the the incentives from DCL. Why else would they need a contract? It's probably the same with Disney Parks where AAA offers a room only discount that Disney must also have a contract with them.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

In 2012 I booked our first cruise with AAA. They had the photo package ( or equivalent to $100 for ocean view or balcony, $50 for inside), and when I booked they were offering a Visa GC with value going up depending on the price of the cruise. The TA was a disaster - first she booked us for the wrong week - good thing I caught it on time - and then she tried to 'forget' about the GC and then tried to give me less than it was supposed to.

Our second cruise we booked it in December 2012 with KSF (I moved my OBB to the future) for sailing in Feb 2013. The AAA TA (a different one than the first one) offered me OBC, photo package and a Visa GC. I went to pay to the office (this had to be PIF on the spot) and all these promises were not there. I eventually did get the photo package and the Visa GC.

Our third cruise which was an OBB but without a TA attached I was able to move it back to AAA - originally my goal was to move it when they had a good offer - with the rule changes I could no longer do that unless it was within 30 days. They offered me a 'gift card' and the photo package. Then they tried to retract it because it actually required payment in full at the time of booking (NO WAY IN HELL I WOULD PAY BEFORE PIF) The gift card now as only $50 and it was a AAA gift card, usable only in the cheap overpriced crap they sell.

Basically, before the rule changes, I would book WDW packages with Disney CRO directly and then wait for a AAA promo like a free GC to come out, and then I would transfer the reservation. I was going to do the same with my second cruise and use the OBB I had from the first one, but KSF required a new booking, so it was booked directly. Also, as I was looking at a short cruise, DU would have given me a small OBC. AAA would have given me the photo package and a GC for more value. Then rule changes kicked in and I could initially not transfer the OBB to AAA for my third cruise (DCL made an exception in the end however). Fourth cruise (OBB done on second cruise) is done via DU, and so will the fifth one (OBB from third cruise).

At this time, AAA is offering a free 7" Android Tablet for bookings over $3000 if booked before the end of the month. Note that it does not say it must be paid in full like last year. But you should be warned that it's very easy to get a 7" Android Tablet that is worth less than $50. And yes, it will run like crap.

They are also offering $50 OBC for cruises between 1/9 and 4/10, again if you book by the end of the month. This is a DCL offer as it requires a booking code and hence not combinable with the Disney Visa OBC for example.

So bottom line is AAA is loosing my business. If it wasn't for the $50 GC I still have, I would probably not renew this year.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

We went through this with AAA a couple years ago. We were supposed to get
AAA onboard credit and it was cancelled before our cruise. We decided that was our last vacation through AAA and now use Dreams.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

I'll add that I have read their incentives vary by region too.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
daisywithak
Mouseketeer

So, my AAA TA has not contacted me about this. Does anyone know if they are honoring the photo package for cruises that are already booked? We are already PIF for our June cruise to Alaska.

There's no benefit to me to use AAA now. There service has not been very good.
daisywithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

My AAA agent told me the Disney is no longer a AAA preferred cruise line. She didn't elaborate. I didn't ask.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisywithak View Post
So, my AAA TA has not contacted me about this. Does anyone know if they are honoring the photo package for cruises that are already booked? We are already PIF for our June cruise to Alaska.

There's no benefit to me to use AAA now. There service has not been very good.
Bumping this to see if anyone has an answer yet?
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if this is related to the change DCL made last year regarding TA commissions. Possibly AAA/CAA had a current contract in place at that time so the change didn't immediately impact. But if the contract is now due for renewal, DCL's policy change is across the board and AAA/CAA doesn't like the new terms.

That's just my guess...
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: