Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
Mnemorath
Earning My Ears

Exclamation Blue Wizard Needs Help Badly

Ok, if one needs help planning a trip or questions answered, who else should they turn to but this board?

Here is the situation. My In-laws want to pay for a cruise for me, my wife and kids and them. However there are problems with this plan.

Problem #1: They do not speak good English, so I may be the one doing all the planning.

Problem #2: They don't even know when they can even do a cruise and no-where can I find the dummy cruise date info and date move policies.

Problem #3: I have 4 kids ages 6 to 20mo. Only the eldest two are potty trained.

Problem #4: I am active duty Navy, so getting leave to take a cruise takes some planning. Fortunately I am transferring to shore duty soon so it will be easier to take leave.

Problem #5: No-one in the family has ever been to sea except me, and I sailed on an aircraft carrier. So, no idea what to expect. Though I expect I will regain my sea-legs rather fast.

Problem #6: These are not the only questions I have, just the only ones I can think of atm.

So, to quote a waskily wabbit owned by a rival corp,

HEEEEAAAAALLLLLLP!
Mnemorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #2
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemorath View Post
Ok, if one needs help planning a trip or questions answered, who else should they turn to but this board?

Here is the situation. My In-laws want to pay for a cruise for me, my wife and kids and them. However there are problems with this plan.

Problem #1: They do not speak good English, so I may be the one doing all the planning.
That's a good thing, no? Also, not sure it's really a barrier. Can they read English? (Asking sincerely.) They can book the entire cruise online.

Problem #2: They don't even know when they can even do a cruise and no-where can I find the dummy cruise date info and date move policies.
This is the issue you need to resolve. You can move your cruise, but Disney recently changed the policy on this and I am not fully-versed on the new rules so I am going to let someone else address this part for you to make sure you get correct info.

Problem #3: I have 4 kids ages 6 to 20mo. Only the eldest two are potty trained.
Are you asking where you leave the kids be without you? If so, in order to spend time in the kids clubs, the kids need to be potty trained. There are baby sitting services (nursery) available.

Problem #4: I am active duty Navy, so getting leave to take a cruise takes some planning. Fortunately I am transferring to shore duty soon so it will be easier to take leave.
Thank you for your service.

Problem #5: No-one in the family has ever been to sea except me, and I sailed on an aircraft carrier. So, no idea what to expect. Though I expect I will regain my sea-legs rather fast.
I had trouble on my first cruise (well, first after 10 years of no cruises). I was woozy. DH had zero issues at all. Every cruise since then, I have worn a sea sickness patch that I got a prescription for from my doctor. Never had a second of wooziness even once.

Now, POST cruise is an entirely different story. The land sways and rocks for me for almost two weeks after a seven day cruise. Seriously. I get it bad! Everyone is different. Just sharing my experience.

Problem #6: These are not the only questions I have, just the only ones I can think of atm.
When you think of more, ask away. That's what DIS is for.

HEEEEAAAAALLLLLLP!
Hope this helped,
Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

[QUOTE=Mnemorath;50593029]Ok, if one needs help planning a trip or questions answered, who else should they turn to but this board?

Here is the situation. My In-laws want to pay for a cruise for me, my wife and kids and them. Gotta love generous in-laws! However there are problems with this plan.

Problem #1: They do not speak good English, so I may be the one doing all the planning. That should give you a lot of input on where and when to cruise.

Problem #2: They don't even know when they can even do a cruise and no-where can I find the dummy cruise date info and date move policies. As long as you haven't reached the paid-in-full date, or PIF, (usually 75 days before you sail) you can change dates without penalty.

Problem #3: I have 4 kids ages 6 to 20mo. Only the eldest two are potty trained. The oldest two can enjoy the kids' clubs. The others can enjoy the nursery, for a fee.

If you read recent Navigators (daily newsletter) from past cruises, it will give you a good idea of what happens on a Disney cruise. Scroll up to the top of this page and click where it says "staterooms." Then click on "Navigators." And of course, keep reading the DIS boards, especially the FAQ "sticky notes."
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Hello and let me start by saying thank you.

For problem 2, you will pick a date and book it through DCL or a travel agent. You will not be booking a "dummy" cruise, that is something people call a cruise they book while on board for a date they are not going to use. As long as you cancel or switch your the cruise date you book before the paid in full date, you can cancel or switch it with no problem.

#3 Just think, all of your children may be old enough and potty trained for the kids club by the time you set sail.

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

First, thanks for you service. I know your feelings about doing a cruise after being on an aircraft carrier. I too served in the Navy and when my wife suggested a cruise 10 years ago I broke into a cold sweat with flashbacks of mid watches and long boring hours of killing time. 14 cruises later on DCL I can tell you it will be the best vacation you will ever have.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Mnemorath
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all the responses.

As for the cancellation/move date policy, is that written anywhere I can find online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
First, thanks for you service. I know your feelings about doing a cruise after being on an aircraft carrier. I too served in the Navy and when my wife suggested a cruise 10 years ago I broke into a cold sweat with flashbacks of mid watches and long boring hours of killing time. 14 cruises later on DCL I can tell you it will be the best vacation you will ever have.
All my mid-watches were spent in the plant. And nukes like myself usually don't have to worry about killing time. We have none to kill.

Any other helpful planning suggestions would be appreciated,
Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Blue Elf Shot the Food

Quote:

HEEEEAAAAALLLLLLP!
Blue Elf Shot the Food

Anyhow, I agree with previous poster. However, you are making one minor error here. A dummy cruise is a cruise reservation that you make to take advantage of a great deal, and that deal can be moved to a different cruise. That really only applies to cruise reservations made on board. So, while on board, you can book a future cruise for 10% off (provided it is not during a black out date). You can change the date and itinerary and retain the 10% off up to any date 18 months after the cruise on which you booked the dummy cruise (again, provided it is not during a black out date).

So, to get back to your situation: You are looking at scheduling a cruise. It is not a dummy cruise, because any benefit or cost structure you get on the cruise you schedule will not transfer to a different cruise. The important thing for you is cancellation policy.

Cancellation policy is great. You can book a cruise, put down your 20% deposit, and sit back and relax. You can cancel with a full refund (full! no fees!) up to 75 days before the cruise. At 75 days, you must pay in full or lose the reservation (but keep your money). Once you are past the paid in full date (PIF) there are big penalties for cancelling.

The nice thing about this is that it frees you to schedule a cruise, then if something comes up, you can cancel and either get your money back or move your deposit towards the cost of a different cruise.

I hope that helps a little. You might want to look around the policies on the DCL website.

By the way, Disney cruises are great!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Four Swampers

Forgot to mention: concierge level staterooms do not qualify for a refund of the deposit. If you book concierge level, you will lose your money if you cancel.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Four Swampers

"Green Valkyrie, your lifeforce is running out." (I do hope the title to your original post is what I think it is)

There are some great threads on the boards for first time cruisers. A quick search for "first cruise" should yield a ton of useful information.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Welcome to the cruise board! The best way to start your planning is to read through the FAQ thread for this forum. Next read the first 4-5 pages of posts. This will give you the basics and the most discussed topics. You will have questions of your own from these, so then post on those threads or start one of your own if you have a specific question about something not on those first few pages. A lot will depend on which ship & itinerary you decide on since each ship is different.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
Mnemorath
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
"Green Valkyrie, your lifeforce is running out." (I do hope the title to your original post is what I think it is)

There are some great threads on the boards for first time cruisers. A quick search for "first cruise" should yield a ton of useful information.
Yes, the title is a gauntlet reference. Sad how many people don't get such things these days, and I remember actually playing Gauntlet II in an arcade. Thankfully the DnD arcade games are now on PSN.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Mnemorath
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Welcome to the cruise board! The best way to start your planning is to read through the FAQ thread for this forum. Next read the first 4-5 pages of posts. This will give you the basics and the most discussed topics. You will have questions of your own from these, so then post on those threads or start one of your own if you have a specific question about something not on those first few pages. A lot will depend on which ship & itinerary you decide on since each ship is different.
Itinerary is probably going to be an August Alaska sailing as my wedding (and enlistment) anniversary is mid-month.

And I am stationed up near Seattle, less travel.

Last edited by Mnemorath; 01-29-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post

Are you asking where you leave the kids be without you? If so, in order to spend time in the kids clubs, the kids need to be potty trained. There are baby sitting services (nursery) available.

Hope this helped,
Dreams
This is incorrect. As long as they are of age to go to the club, they will be allowed to go. You can put pull-ups on them and come back and check them periodically, but you will need to change them yourself as needed because the counselors are not allowed to.

It's the pools where they must be potty trained to use.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Mnemorath
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLightyearInTampa View Post
This is incorrect. As long as they are of age to go to the club, they will be allowed to go. You can put pull-ups on them and come back and check them periodically, but you will need to change them yourself as needed because the counselors are not allowed to.

It's the pools where they must be potty trained to use.
Only the youngest is still in diapers. #3 is in pull ups and will come tell you when he goes. Not before, after.

So may be trained by cruise time. He is 3 after all.

#4 will not be, does not even talk well.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Itinerary is probably going to be an August Alaska sailing as my wedding (and enlistment) anniversary is mid-month.

And I am stationed up near Seattle, less travel.
Are you looking at August this year? If so, you will want to try and get a reservation in as soon as possible. I was checking this morning and the first two cruises in August are down to inside and oceanview rooms only for a family of 4 (all verandah rooms are booked). The two cruises later in August do have more availability (and the last one in August is much cheaper since a lot of kids are already back in school at that time).

We are booked on the August 11th cruise so I may be able to help with any Alaska planning questions. I have been researching like crazy for the past year

Best of luck with planning and thank you so much for your service!!!
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: