Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Tokyo Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 679

Question Crowds in Mid-May

My park days at TDL/TDS are 12-14 May. According to the crowd chart below, those are days with light crowds (Green, Blue, Blue).



My next question, from the same website. How do I read this chart?

__________________


Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Ebiten
TDR Fan
 
Ebiten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 51

Where did you get this chart from?

Well, if I'm reading this right, and I like to think I am, this is probably what it means. SB Max means how long the standby wait is max during that time period; for example, the Pooh ride is a 60-90 minute wait time for standby at any time during the day, max. Continuing with the Pooh ride, if you get a fastpass for it at 9 am (left most column) then you can expect a return time at 10 am. If you get a fastpass for it at 10 am then expect a return time of 3 pm (15:00). If you get a fastpass 11 am then expect a return time of 6 pm (18:00) and so on and so forth. As you can see, there is nothing across getting a fastpass at 1 pm (13:00) because it most likely ran out by that time. These are all estimates but you can still use it.
Ebiten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebiten View Post
Where did you get this chart from?

Well, if I'm reading this right, and I like to think I am, this is probably what it means. SB Max means how long the standby wait is max during that time period; for example, the Pooh ride is a 60-90 minute wait time for standby at any time during the day, max. Continuing with the Pooh ride, if you get a fastpass for it at 9 am (left most column) then you can expect a return time at 10 am. If you get a fastpass for it at 10 am then expect a return time of 3 pm (15:00). If you get a fastpass 11 am then expect a return time of 6 pm (18:00) and so on and so forth. As you can see, there is nothing across getting a fastpass at 1 pm (13:00) because it most likely ran out by that time. These are all estimates but you can still use it.
Thanks.

I got the chart from the TDL crowd estimator website. This is the "translation" using Google Chrome.

http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

So are FP rules the same as WDW/DLR legacy Fps, i.e., one FP at a time until the return time opens or two hours passes, whichever happens first?
__________________


Stupid Judy.

Last edited by gmi3804; 01-26-2014 at 01:41 PM.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Ebiten
TDR Fan
 
Ebiten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
So are FP rules the same as WDW/DLR legacy Fps, i.e., one FP at a time until the return time opens or two hours passes, whichever happens first?
Yep, same rules and assuming they are available when you are going depending on the season. Though I would hit up the more popular rides FP first in case they run out later in the day. For TDS my usual is Toy Story first due to popularity (followed by walking to 20,000 Leagues as it's easily a walk on ride), then Journey, Indiana, ToT. Afterward I just get FP for whatever I feel like riding again. Though for Toy Story you might want to go in the standby line at least once at the beginning of the park when lines are less as the standby line makes you walk through what I can only say is "jaw-dropping" when I first saw it.

TDR it would be BTMR (followed by a walk to Pooh), Haunted Mansion, Monster, and more BTMR. I really like BTMR and not so much other FP rides at TDR so I do standby for them if I pass by and see the wait time isn't too long.
Ebiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:14 AM   #5
DreamSweetsLove
Loves Mickey
 
DreamSweetsLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Urayasu, Japan
Posts: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
My park days at TDL/TDS are 12-14 May. According to the crowd chart below, those are days with light crowds (Green, Blue, Blue).



My next question, from the same website. How do I read this chart?

For the chart it's
Monsters Inc, Pooh, Splash, Buzz, Big Thunder, Space, Haunted Mansion

The times represent what time your FP will likely be for at different points during the day and when FP is likely to end for each attraction.
__________________
Follow me on twitter @dreamsweetslove and let's spend everyday at Tokyo Disney Resort!
DreamSweetsLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
voleball
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 198

I'll be there May 13 ~ 15! May see you around!
voleball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
planningjollyholiday
DIS Veteran
 
planningjollyholiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: british columbia
Posts: 571

Hooray, my family and I will be there as well from
May 12-16. We went around this time 5 years ago and one of the days it drizzled a bit causing It to be pretty quiet, so I'm hoping it will be the same this year. I'm a little sad that astro blasters will be down, but I guess we can always ride it in California. If you see us say hi, I'm sure we will be the only blonde haired people in the park
planningjollyholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 679

Is it safe to assume that the first hour or two in each park will have relatively light crowds (especially in mid-May, a "slow" time) where you can hit some headliners at rope drop with little to no wait? I know TSMM will fill up quickly because it's a slow-loader and extremely popular, but what about fast loaders like BTMM and Splash? How quickly do the TDS-only rides load? 20,000, Journey, etc?

Also, if I'm reading those charts correctly, after the first FP return window opens, every FP after that will give me a two-hour return window, right?
__________________


Stupid Judy.

Last edited by gmi3804; 01-29-2014 at 09:25 AM.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
Ebiten
TDR Fan
 
Ebiten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Is it safe to assume that the first hour or two in each park will have relatively light crowds (especially in mid-May, a "slow" time) where you can hit some headliners at rope drop with little to no wait? I know TSMM will fill up quickly because it's a slow-loader and extremely popular, but what about fast loaders like BTMM and Splash? How quickly do the TDS-only rides load? 20,000, Journey, etc?

Also, if I'm reading those charts correctly, after the first FP return window opens, every FP after that will give me a two-hour return window, right?
It's hard to assume but as it is slow season you can expect being able to walk around freely without bumping into anyone and rides won't have as much of a wait time. Though you would be able to hit up the more popular rides pretty quickly, especially if they are near each other and you aren't traveling from one side to the other. BTMM and Splash should load pretty fast in the beginning since most might hit up Monsters Inc. Pooh is fast at rope drop but gets busier during the day. If you're riding Space, bring the music along that they play at Disneyland! They don't play it in TDR so it lowers the "quality" of it in my opinion. Everything else should be easy (though Star Tours has its ups and downs).

20,000 is super fast at rope drop and Journey shouldn't have that long a wait. I would hit up the Gondola's before the water shows start as I usually forget about it then it's too late to ride. Toy Story is slow as you know since everyone goes there first. Storm rider should be a breeze to get on since it's a high capacity crowd ride and you are going during slow season. Most everything else shouldn't be much of a line during the first couple hours.
Ebiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 679

Excellent info, Ebiten.

Is the above chart a good barometer to figure out order to pull FPs? Clearly, the one with the one hour retune time should be first? Then the most popular ones after that? Or not?
__________________


Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
TipsyTraveler
Mouseketeer
 
TipsyTraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 260

Hi everyone! I don't have anything helpful to add, just wanted to say I'll be there with you guys May 11 - 16.
TipsyTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #12
voleball
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 198

I think that list is a good indicator of FP priorities.

Not sure if you've seen it, but on the same website, they provide the past attendence/wait times for the last few years.

http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/jam.htm

If you go down the page a bit, it shows the real wait time at 3:30pm for each day of that month. That'll give you the idea which ones are popular so you should hit them first thing in the morning, and which ones are anytime filler.

I'm not familar with DL, but I've been to WDW a few times. First 2 hours of Magic Kingdom is diffinitely different from TDL. Even the busiest time of the year, MK is pretty easy to tour in the first couple of hours, but TDL is not that easy. I think it won't be as easy but you'll probably do fine because Mid May is a slower season. The key difference between them is most people in TDL know how to take advantage of FPs and early hours.

Well, you mentioned that you will be staying at a Disney hotel, so the 15 minute early entry to the both parks will help you quite a bit for touring.

Last edited by voleball; 01-31-2014 at 02:29 AM.
voleball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:31 AM   #13
voleball
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 198

Wow, it looks like the mid May is a popular season.
voleball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by voleball View Post
I think that list is a good indicator of FP priorities.

Not sure if you've seen it, but on the same website, they provide the past attendence/wait times for the last few years.

http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/jam.htm

If you go down the page a bit, it shows the real wait time at 3:30pm for each day of that month. That'll give you the idea which ones are popular so you should hit them first thing in the morning, and which ones are anytime filler.

I'm not familar with DL, but I've been to WDW a few times. First 2 hours of Magic Kingdom is diffinitely different from TDL. Even the busiest time of the year, MK is pretty easy to tour in the first couple of hours, but TDL is not that easy. I think it won't be as easy but you'll probably do fine because Mid May is a slower season. The key difference between them is most people in TDL know how to take advantage of FPs and early hours.

Well, you mentioned that you will be staying at a Disney hotel, so the 15 minute early entry to the both parks will help you quite a bit for touring.
Love the historical data, but not sure how to interpret them. I mean I can see that there are wait times, but I can't interpret any of the attraction names, even after English translation.

Signed,

The Ugly American
__________________


Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
Ebiten
TDR Fan
 
Ebiten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Love the historical data, but not sure how to interpret them. I mean I can see that there are wait times, but I can't interpret any of the attraction names, even after English translation.

Signed,

The Ugly American
Google translate sort of messes up the name of the rides at the top of the chart so you will have to hover your mouse over the rides names to see what it's actually called (with the actual name or close to it). I'm using Chrome to do this. For example, after the weather and temperature in the 2nd and 3rd column is the Omnibus in the 4th column followed by Pirates of the Caribbean in the 5th column.
Ebiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.