Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 AM   #76
MrRay
Mouseketeer

January 10th, Wrapping up the Magic

We were in cabanas at 6:30 for the early breakfast. Pretty standard fare. We wanted to be off the ship as early as possible because we were going to drive to Orlando to visit a friend who works at Disney that was going to burn a couple guest passes on us. A nice orderly line had formed in the lobby and right about 7 a.m. they started letting us off.

There was a decent amount of us but the line for customs didn't take too long. We ended up being the only people waiting for hertz so we had our second private shuttle of the trip.

Our driver was very nice, he filled us in on the current events we missed. We were the first customers of the day so we were in and out of the office quick and I want to say we were on the road to Orlando by 8a.m.... Not too shabby.

Magic final thoughts

All in all we left the Magic pretty underwhelmed. We’ve been racking our brains to figure out why. The weather certainly affected our moods and activities. Across the board we felt like most of the staff was pretty nice, but not outstanding. It almost felt like because it was such a short cruise they just didn't care as much. Even our servers seemed like they were just going through the motions. I rarely saw too many cast members smiling, and for us that's what really makes the "Disney Difference" with cruising.
There was only one cast member that stood out. His name was Raphael and working in O'Gill's. After only one night he remembered our names and what we had to drink the night before, including that we had water with them.
But aside from that it just felt kinda sad and not that special.

Of our table mates 2 were platinum cruisers and 2 were young newlyweds on their honeymoon. The latter did everything they could despite the weather. Dolphins in Nassau, anything in the water they could at castaway, aqua dunk on the sea day, and loved every minute. The veterans were more content to watch movies and nap. We fell right in the middle.

We don’t want to discourage anyone from the Magic or cause great concern; I think we just had a rough few days.

If this was the whole trip I can't help but think we would have been really disappointed, but luckily there was a lot more to come...
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 AM   #77
MrRay
Mouseketeer

An afternoon in Epcot

Driving down the highway leaving port canaveral behind we could feel our fortunes changing. The weather was warming up and the sun was finally peeking out. The temperature dial was creeping up to 80 degrees.
We headed to our hotel in Kissimmee, Legacy suites. We wanted a place with a washer and dryer in the room so that we would be able to clean our clothes when we got back from the park that night. If I had to do it all again I would probably just do laundry on the ship, it's really easy and we always had time to kill before second dinner so it's really not much of a hassle. We ended up doing one load on the magic anyway because we wore our 1 pair of pants each a lot more than we thought we would.

Anyway we got a good price and at first look it seemed nice enough. It's bigger than our apartment in New York.

Nice enough... Until we got back that night and there was no hot water, the shower, sadly we didn't take a picture of, doesn't seem like you could use without getting water all over the bathroom, the floors were so dirty that our feet were black after walking around for only a few minutes, the dead bolt on the front door didn't close all the way, and this....

How is this helpful?!?!

We slept with the bedroom door locked all night.
We Do Not Recommend!

But anyway, we made such great time driving to Orlando that we stopped off to get a bit more food and drove by a Publix so I could get some of their unsweetened iced tea...which I love.

We happily changed into shorts but planned for the worst by packing a bag full of warmer clothes to keep in a locker...just..in..case.

We pulled up to our favorite park a little after 12...

We grabbed a fast pass for test track and rode some smaller rides "The Land", "Nemo", until we could get another fastpass and grabbed one for soarin'. Both were for later in the day so we set out for our 3 p.m. reservation at "Via Napoli".

This wasn't open the last time we were in Epcot.

It's very lively, open, and exciting.
We shared a large pizza.

It was really fantastic and we had a very energetic and enthusiastic server. Words could never really describe him so I won't try. If you ever see him though, you will know. Jenna described him is "human spirit fingers".

Side note I have a dairy intolerance but can manage it on my own and can eat small amounts so we requested half the pizza have no cheese. It wasn't a problem at all but required me talking to 3 different people. Can't fault them for taking allergies seriously though.

We leisurely strolled back to use our fast passes and hop on spaceship earth. It was probably one of the calmest but at the same time super efficient days we've ever had at Disney. The weather was great, we never had to break into our bag of clothes.

We dropped by the Margarita Bar in Mexico and strolled through the countries.

The day flew by so fast that it was time for Illuminations before we knew it.

And then it was time to say goodnight.

Feeling energized from the great weather we were excited to get some sleep and drive back to Port Canaveral to see our old friend the Fantasy....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #78
tweis
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry that you left the Magic feeling underwhelmed. We will be on the Magic in April for the first time and I'm hoping we have a wonderful time. I know sometimes the weather can set the tone for the entire vacation. I'm hoping the Fantasy was much better for you all.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #79
lin7
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the update, looking forward to reading more.
lin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #80
MrRay
Mouseketeer

January, 11th, Port Canaveral...Round 2

We took a bunch of screenshots of the Disney Cruise app in action throughout the cruise so people could get an idea how it works.

We woke up feeling good. Despite the somewhat shady state of our hotel, and not really taking showers do to the lack of hot water, we slept wonderfully and were excited to get on the road and drive back to Cocoa Beach. We checked outside and were delighted to see that the warm and sunny weather was sticking around. We left the hotel at 9, grabbed a quick bite for breakfast and drove back to the coast.

By 10:30 we could see the iconic red stacks peeking over the horizon. We had a little time to kill so we found a parking spot by the beach and took a stroll. The weather was great and plenty of people were out already. It was feeling like a perfect day.

We honestly could have sat there all day but after the excitement of a few days earlier we were looking forward to being on the ship at a reasonable hour.

Dropping off the car at hertz was pretty painless and a shuttle bus pulled right up.

There was a little bit of a line to get into the security area and it wasn't until we had already done a bit of time that we realized that you could go across the street into the parking garage and check in on the upper level where there was no line. It was warm and comfortable so we weren't complaining, it still didn't take too long.

Check in was a breeze, we were given boarding number 11.

To our delight they were already calling number 12 so we walked right on.

As we walked onto the ship the first impression was different than I remembered. The first time that I saw the Fantasy lobby I thought, "this is pretty big for a cruise ship". This time having just been on the magic a day earlier I thought "this lobby is ENORMOUS!" We skipped like children through the lobby and straight up to Cabanas for lunch. Our grins were ear to ear. It felt good to be home...
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #81
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Thanks for including those screen grabs. That's helpful!
Can't wait to hear more!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #82
kgreenaz
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up

I'm really enjoying your trip reports. Thanks for taking the time to do this. We are taking our first cruise Feb 2015 and I feel like I have an idea about what will happen now. TRs like this are very helpful and I know they are time consuming. So big thanks here!

Kim
kgreenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #83
nancipants
Mouseketeer

So exciting! One cruise right after the other. Can't wait to see how this one went. (I was on the Magic from January 10 to January 12 and the weather was much better then. Hope it was the same for you!)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #84
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Another thanks for the screen shots from the App, I haven't seen those before
What a great way to split up a B2B with a quick hop to Epcot
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #85
MrRay
Mouseketeer

The first few hours

Lunch in Cabanas was fantastic.

It's probably my favorite meal of the cruise. Last year when we got on we were so excited to see the ship that we rushed through lunch. We took our time this year. I also loaded up on things that I knew weren't going to be back for the rest of the cruise like lamb chops. I ate A LOT of Lamb chops.

Next we took a quick trip to La Piazza to sign up for a Mixology class. Disney has caught on to how popular these are. Last year I think there was only 3 or 4 and this year there was 8 or 9. Most take place in "Skyline" which we aren't huge fans of, it's a little too dark for the middle of the day, but we saw they were offering one in the "Meridian" bar between Palo and Remy on the first sea day. That sounded nice so we jumped on it, still only $15 a person thankfully.

We still had a bit more time before our room would be ready so we decided to spend it sitting on deck and enjoy the nice weather.

Jenna loves her soft serve...She was also very excited that this was the first time on the trip that it was warm enough for the ice cream to actually start melting.

We touched base with our families one last time and just relaxed in the warm weather until our room was ready.

1:30 came pretty fast...
Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #86
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Sailing away

We were in room 8534, category 5b

It was just a few doors down from our room last year. It's on the Starboard side and right around the corner from the forward stairs. This is great placement for us because we can be in the adult area very quickly.

Nothing really unique about this room, identical to all the others in this category.

We watched some of the action on the pier and got settled what we could.

We also flipped on the TV to the bridge cam.

I had forgotten what glorious hi-definition it was, I really wish they would have added this to the magic during its refurb. It doesn't seem like it would have been that hard.

Around 3:30 I decided I wasn't getting through the lifeboat drill without more coffee so it was off to my favorite place on the ship...cove cafe.

We were in muster station H. Last year we were in the Walt Disney Theater. Not sure if they switched things around or just being 3 doors down put us in a different zone but we mustered to deck 4 starboard. We weren't going to complain about the heat but staring right into the setting sun for a half hour was a little uncomfortable. On the plus side if there was a real emergency we're probably first off the boat, so again...silver lining. We were also excited just to be there for the muster drill since on the Magic cruise we missed it entirely.

Oh and right next to our muster station was the infamous "emergency switch"... At least we'll know if it's a drill or not.

With the safety instructions out of the way we were ready for some fruity rum filled drinks and the excitement of sailing away.

I was trying to get some footage for a vacation video that we were making for ourselves so we stopped by the sail away party which was completely insane but full of excitement.

We pulled away at the usual time and were treated to a gorgeous sunset as we pulled out. The sun was warm, the music was blasting, and people were in great spirits.

We stayed up a lot longer than we did on that cold night we set sail on the Magic. The warm amber sun was dancing on the water making everything look incredible.

The funnel vision switched over to playoff football and we decided to get ourselves unpacked and ready for dinner.

This day could not have been more opposite from our first day on the Magic and we were loving every second of it.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #87
lorimay
DIS Veteran

We are in the same room on The Fantasy this coming Saturday.

Glad you are getting better weather this time around.

We boarded The Magic a couple weeks after you came back and it was a bit chilly at Port Canaveral, but the rest of the cruise was pretty good. Sorry, you had the path of clouds following you.

Last edited by lorimay; 02-09-2014 at 10:11 AM.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #88
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Yay! Happy, sunny day!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #89
marquislaura
Mouseketeer

Following along
marquislaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #90
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Sorry the weather for your Magic cruise was less than ideal!
A day in Epcot between 2 cruises~
It looks like you were off to a great start on the next part of your journey!
A mixology class in Meridian sounds awesome! That was probably one of my all time favorite spots on the whole ship!!

Enjoying following along~

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: