Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Disney Fantasy June 22-29th 2013: Boardwalk, Boat, and Boston! 2nd Wedding Annivesary

June 2013 Trip Report

Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise to the Caribbean… and Boston!

Hi everyone and welcome to my latest trip report.

Who

Me, Emma (28) – huge Disney fan, my first trip to Walt Disney World was in 1993 and I’ve been 15 times now!

DH (28) – not as much of a fan but really enjoys our trips to WDW and sailing on the cruise ships too.

Where

This was an amazing vacation, we started planning it nearly two years ago – almost as soon as we got off the Disney Dream ship on our honeymoon, we knew we wanted to do another Disney cruise!

So the cruise was booked in October 2011, we chose a 7 night Western Caribbean itinerary on the Disney Fantasy – visiting Grand Cayman and Mexico, as well as the beautiful Castaway Cay.
We also booked two nights at Walt Disney World before the cruise, and then wanted to visit somewhere else in the USA afterwards (otherwise it’s a long way to travel just for a week!). Initially I suggested we flew over to the West Coast and visited Disneyland, as we’ve never been there. However, as I started to research it I realised it would be a long flight, three more hours of jetlag, and there is much more in California and on the west coast that we’d want to do so it wouldn’t fit into a week’s vacation.
So…. DH suggested Boston, Massachusetts… we both wanted to visit the city – plus it was on the same coast as Florida.. and a shorter flight back to London on the way home.

When

Our itinerary was as follows:

June 20th - 22nd Walt Disney World, staying at the Boardwalk Villas

June 22nd – 29th Disney Fantasy – Western Caribbean Cruise

June 29th – July 5th Boston MA – staying at Loews Back Bay Hotel

Why

It was our 2 year wedding anniversary on June 18th, so this vacation was a great way to celebrate!

Emma x

Last edited by disneybarbie; 10-03-2013 at 12:14 PM.
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
dreamerchic33
Mouseketeer

Yay! So excited to hear about it! Xxoo
dreamerchic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Yay i'm here and super excited to hear about your trip!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Hi Emma!! I'm obviously in!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to go on this trip vicariously through you!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Dugette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
Dream426
Love Disney!!

YAY!! I can't wait to read about it.

Gianna's First of Many WDW Trips March 2013!! PTR

Gianna and Sophia's First Trip to Disney World September 2014 PTR!!

Dream426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Sweet Pea UK
DIS Veteran

Hi Emma, I'm in .... Can't wait to read more!!! Must start my PTR soon xxx
Sweet Pea UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerchic33 View Post
Yay! So excited to hear about it! Xxoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Yay i'm here and super excited to hear about your trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Hi Emma!! I'm obviously in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugette View Post
Can't wait to go on this trip vicariously through you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream426 View Post
YAY!! I can't wait to read about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea UK View Post
Hi Emma, I'm in .... Can't wait to read more!!! Must start my PTR soon xxx
Thanks all for following along!

Update on the way...

Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 1 - Travel & Arrival

Part 1 – Walt Disney World

Thursday 20th June 2013

We finished work on Wednesday evening, and I had a busy evening of finalising the packing (which I’d started the weekend before, always love packing for a Disney vacation!), and we went to bed at 11pm – somehow I managed to sleep, until my alarm went off at 5am…

(This countdown started at 500+ days, so I was pretty excited!)

At 6.30am DFiL picked us up and we were on our way to the airport! I checked in online so we didn’t need to be there too early (flight at 11am), but as it was a week day we wanted to have plenty of time to get around the M25 motorway. Luckily the traffic was fine, we dropped our suitcases off and were through security so quickly that we were in the departure lounge by 7.30am!

We did a little shopping, I bought my ‘usual’ items – chocolates for the cabin crew, perfume and bottled water. Then we got some breakfast at Frankie & Benny’s – smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for me, bacon & eggs for DH.

We wandered around the shops a little more, bought a book each, then it was time to board the plane! We were a little late taking off, but the pilot made the time up so we landed in MCO at 3.30pm, on time.
The flight was pretty good, we flew with Virgin Atlantic as we had frequent flyer miles to use which gave us £100 discount each off the price. I watched The Great and Powerful Oz, listened to some podcasts and watched episodes of Modern Family and Phineas & Ferb. It’s amazing how quickly 9 hours goes, because soon we were descending into Orlando! As we reached the Florida coast line, we flew right over Port Canaveral – and DH & I were pretty saw we could see a Disney ship (probably the Dream) docked there!
The landing was quite bumpy, the pilot warned us of it – at one point we really bounced, everyone screamed!

We got off the plane quickly, and were among the first at immigration – I love that they play the Illuminations music there! An elderly member of staff at the front of the queue said ‘welcome to America ‘ to us… I was so happy to be there

We were quickly through immigration, collected our suitcases and through customs.. and on the monorail to the terminal.

We had a bit of a wait and the Magical Express terminal, only because the guest in front of us in line was asking (in Spanish) about park tickets, so the Cast Member (luckily from Puerto Rico!) was telling her all of the options available.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 1 - Arrival & Epcot

Soon we were onboard our bus and heading to the most magical place on earth!

We had a great bus driver called Eric, I know they are Mears employees rather than CMs, but he was really good  he even sang when you wish upon a star as we went under the gate.

(Video clip of singing bus driver)

We stopped at Caribbean Beach resort first, and then we were the next stop  Disneys Boardwalk.

DH collected our suitcases, while I walked into the lobby to check in  a CM stood outside said welcome home to me  I love it when they say that!

There was no line at check-in, the CM was lovely, she chatted away to us  and had already prepared two anniversary buttons for us! We had to choose a pin to use on our KTTW cards, this was new for us.

We had a garden view room, number 3125, really close to DHS  which was a great location, except on first arriving as it was 5 minute walk down the corridors!

I unpacked a little, but we really just wanted to get out and into Disney World!

The weather wasnt great this evening, it had been raining lightly ever since wed got on the Magical Express  but we didnt mind, just put the ponchos on and headed to Epcot&

We stopped at Guest Relations at International Gateway to exchange our paper annual passes to RFID card ones.. then we got to try out the new turnstiles! The CM there guessed it was our first time using them and walked us through the process.. and gave us a round of applause once we were in the park.

I didnt take a lot of photos this evening as the rain was pretty heavy at times, but our first stop was the France pavilion for a Grey Goose slushie for me, and a beer for DH, to toast the start of our vacation.

We wandered slowly around world showcase, and decided to stop at Tutto Gusto for something light to eat. We were seated quickly, and ordered some drinks and a meat sharing platter. Our server also gave us the Tutto Italia menus, and said we were welcome to order anything from there too. We didnt, but after reading through the menu agreed wed have to try it during our January trip (ADR is now made for January 10th.. night before my half marathon!).

The meat platter was really good, we particularly liked the fennel-marinated salami.

As we left there, the rain was easing off a bit  we carried on walking around World Showcase, originally wed hoped to ride the new Test Track, however I could see from the Lines app that it had a 70 minute wait! So instead we stayed in World Showcase, stopping at China for a little something else to eat  the honey chicken with rice to share.

Next we went to the Norway pavilion, and I bought another bottle of my favourite body lotion Laila  when we were there in October the designer had been there and Id got a signed photo and perfume sample!

By this time it was after 8pm, the sun was setting and the rain had stopped!

We both got a fiesta margarita from the Mexico pavilion, then made our way around the lagoon back to the bridge between the UK and France pavilions, waiting for Illuminations to start at 9.

I didnt feel at all tired, but its odd to think that wed been up for nearly 24 hours  travelled 4000 miles, and now I was stood in my favourite place in the world!

As usual I said I wouldnt take any photos and just enjoy the fireworks, but I couldnt help it

We wandered back to the Boardwalk, I unpacked what we needed for the next few days  we also had a voice mail from Mickey and Minnie, wishing us a happy anniversary!
I was in bed by 10.30pm, exhausted but so pleased to be there.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
rmcildw2m
DIS Veteran

So far so good keep it comin .
Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a wonderful first day!

That landing would scare me, though. At least the pilot warned you, but still...everyone screaming and a bounce would freak me out.

Very cool that you had a good bus driver. That can really a bus ride more magical.

I have not heard about the PIN for KTTW cards. Did you need to use it for something with them?

And clearly I'm not keeping up with my Disney news, since I have no clue what the new turnstiles are like. Good thing they have people to walk you through what to do and cheer you on, I guess.

That sounds like just a lovely evening in Epcot!
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Dugette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Your smoked salmon bagel looks delicious! My all time favorite breakfast is definitely smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers on a bagel. Delicious!

Hope the flight crew enjoyed your gifts. What type of perfume do you buy?

That is so cute that the Mears driver sang to you guys!

Love Tutto Gusto. In fact, you were the one that told me about this place so thank you

I'm going to have to remember to check out the Norway pavilion this time around, and look for that Laila lotion. The lotion I have right now (which is from the UK pavilion), DH HATES IT WITH A PASSION. I absolutely love it and love to enhale it, and it take me right back to the UK. But he says I smell like an old lady He doesn't want me buying anymore after it's gone, so now I'll have to look for a new one.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
ej119
Earning My Ears

Subbing!

Excited to hear about your romantic experience on the Fantasy since my husband and I will be going on our (belated) honeymoon on it next year.

ej119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
Dream426
Love Disney!!

Geez even reading about someone just arriving at Orlando airport, getting on the Magical Express and arriving at Disney World gets me excited every time. Great start. I always need to take pictures of the fireworks as well. I can't even say how many pictures I have of their fireworks.

Gianna's First of Many WDW Trips March 2013!! PTR

Gianna and Sophia's First Trip to Disney World September 2014 PTR!!

Dream426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: