Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

I would bet MK ends up tiered when the 7DMT opens.

I also think they will tier AK, just to keep things looking even.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #17
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie View Post
Most of the guests will be forced to ride Mine Train via the Standby line because there aren't enough fast passes in a 12 hour park day to give one to every guest.

If you even conservatively assume there are 60,000 guests in MK on a day, and 40,000 of those want to ride Mine Train, and the park is open 9am to 9pm, that means Mine Train would need to have a fast pass guest throughput approaching 3,500 guests per hour, not counting any standby riders. (For comparison, BTMRR's total per-hour throughput is estimated at 2,400 riders).

So if they do not "tier" in MK, then all the Mine Train fast passes will be booked 60 days out by resort guests. Late booking resort guests and offsite guests will only get passes if 1) Disney holds passes and releases them in stages or 2) other guests cancel their rides. Otherwise, welcome to the Standby line.

This is why they put in tiering at Epcot - because given the choice, every single guest coming through the doors wanted to book Soarin and Test Track, and there simply is not sufficient capacity for this. So you can only pick one.
But even with tiering, this will happen. At least initially, most guests are going to want to ride the Mine Train and since they realize standby lines will be long, the vast majority of resort guests booking FP+ ahead of time will pick the Mine Train as their tier 1 FP+. The only way off-site guests and guests that don't book FP+ until close to their trips will get a FP to the Mine Train is if Disney holds back some of the passes to be released later.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #18
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

I would hope that, in the end, that there would be so many attractions at the Magic Kingdom to choose from that tiering wouldn't be needed, Mine Train aside.

If anyone out there can tell us for sure that tiering at MK is not coming, I would love to hear it. That would be great news, but it seems like a foregone conclusion from what people are saying.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #19
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom View Post
But even with tiering, this will happen. At least initially, most guests are going to want to ride the Mine Train and since they realize standby lines will be long, the vast majority of resort guests booking FP+ ahead of time will pick the Mine Train as their tier 1 FP+. The only way off-site guests and guests that don't book FP+ until close to their trips will get a FP to the Mine Train is if Disney holds back some of the passes to be released later.
Tiering would help a bit though. Let's say you put it in a tier with the mountains...over a week's vacation, onsite guests would probably choose one of the mountains at least once or twice, freeing up mine train FPs.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
xie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Tiering would help a bit though. Let's say you put it in a tier with the mountains...over a week's vacation, onsite guests would probably choose one of the mountains at least once or twice, freeing up mine train FPs.
Yup. And most families with kids under the height limit would end up picking a tier 1 kiddie ride, such as Peter Pan or Enchanted Tales, and then the older folks in the group would standby ride the Mine Train.

27 WDW Trips and 2 DL Trips since 1994
Most recently, New Year's 2014
xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #21
Liljo22
Mouseketeer

I do not see the need for tiering even after 7DMT opens. There are still so many headliners in MK. Its not like HS where most people are going to choose TSM, TOT, and RNRC as their three and leave nothing for the people that do not book early. Even if 7DMT is filled up, there will be plenty of options for everyone else.

Even if there is teiring, you are still going to have the 7DMT running out first and you are going to have the late bookers without it. Its not going solve the problem of everyone wanting to FP it.
Liljo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #22
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think these responses don't take into account what I assume to be the reason for the original question:
7 Dwarfs Mine Train.
You are correct. They will have to tier the MK.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #23
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Ugh! If they tier MK how in the world do you pick what you want? AK would be much easier.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #24
Laketravis
FP is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way.. which one's Pink?

Tier 1: 7 Dwarfs Mine Train | Minnie Mouse Lap Dance

Tier 2: Everything else
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #25
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post

Well, you had to figure they had some tricks up their sleeve when the mine coaster opened. This would definitely classify as one!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #26
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post

Tch, tch, tch... for propriety's sake, I must admonish you -- think of the children, man!

This was not the first version of my post, but the other would have garnered some points, I'm sure...
Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #27
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

Tier 1 - Mine Train, Thunder, Space, Pan,

Tier 2 - everything else

Tier 73 - Stitch and Carousel of Progress

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #28
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Tier 1: 7DMT, Space, Splash, PP, ETWB

Tier 2: BTMRR, HM, POTC, Stitch, Buzz, Speedway, Jungle Cruise,

Tier 3: Tiki Room, Magic Carpets, Dumbo, Country Bears, HOP, Pooh, Small World, Philharmagic, Carousel, Teacups, Astro Orbiter, Little Mermaid,

I have no idea where parades/fireworks or M&G would fall but I kind of hope they become tier 1 just to make people waste a tier 1 on them and keep the ride FP available for others.

All my opinion, based on nothing. Dare I say i hope tiers never happen??
Old 01-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
johde
DIS Veteran

I'm in the group that thinks 7DMT will not lead to tiering of MK. Yes 7DMC will be popular. Yes FP+ will run out quickly. Initially. The question is over the long run. When Little Mermaid opened in 2011 in DCA it initially opened to long lines and no FP's (except for special FP's given to onsite guests). By Sept, it was a walk on most of the day. I'm not saying 7DMT's popularity is going to change that quickly but long term, it's not going to be a mega headliner in my mind.

Disney adding another solid ride to a park where people already feel 3 is not enough may help keep the system in check. EPCOT and DHS had a different problem that led to tiering. at without tiering you'd have TT and SOARIN' FP' gone quickly on most days. At the MK you have SM, SplM, BTMRR, PP, ETWB, 7DMC, in the top tier, All the other various meet and greets, JC, HM, POTC etc in a decent second tier. If "everyone" is making one of their 3 7DMT that will free up good FP+'s for other rides.

The thing I think could cause tiering to come to MK if PH of FP+. If I could book Soarin' at EPCOT and 2 headliners at the MK that could throw the system out of whack.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #30
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I agree that MK does not need tiering. I just think they will consider tiering as a way to keep people from selecting it every single day they visit the MK.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: