Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Karbase8
DIS Veteran

I rode if for the first time twice August 2013. The first ride we had very small drops and I actually felt like Tigger bouncing up and down. I quoted you because the 2nd time the sequence was the same as yours 3 full straight drops in a row I was petrified. I did't ride again after that, if you get a good mild sequence it's great but the 3 straight drops wow that was intense! I would try it again though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
Unlike everyone here, I will never ride it again. I am glad I pushed myself to try it, but never again. We got 3 full drops in our

sequence. It went straight down, straight back up, straight back down, straight back up to the lower window then bumped up to the higher window and then straight down again. The themeing was amazing. I really only went through the line with the hubby because I wanted to see everything. When we got up to the elevator, I chickened out on chickening out LOL. Guess my body doesn't see plummeting to its death as fun. I couldn't relax. I had to remind myself to breathe. Was not fun, but at least I can say I did it.
Karbase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
automaticsoap
Mouseketeer

I'm not a fan of drops either, but ToT really isn't that bad. I always psych myself out before my first ToT ride of every trip, but after I ride it once, I'm not afraid to ride it again!

automaticsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
MisWal
Mouseketeer

DD and I rode it for the first time in 2011 , WDW, and swore we would never, ever ride it again. Hated every, single second of it.

Went back in 2012 with my niece, DD and DS, who really, really wanted to try it since he chickened out in 2011. So we went again and really liked it!!!! I think knowing what to expect helped a lot.

DD and I went to DL in 2013 and I wanted to ride, but she didn't. I finally talked her into it and she was nearly in tears when we loaded. We rode, she loved it and we rode it 4 more times that day.

So.... definitely ride it. And then ride it again!
Nov 2014- Royal Pacific Resort

MisWal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
mikepizzo
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if the WDW ToT always had staggered drops, or when it first opened did it just have a straight 13 story drop?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

My brother and Dad have done Dr Doom and Tower of Terror and they both said Doom was worse.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
kcool
Mouseketeer

I hate the straight drop rides that are at most theme parks, but I do like ToT. At the other parks I felt very vulnerable, like I could slip out of my harness, but at ToT, it is more like you are in a room that is dropping vs you yourself dropping. I say, try it once, if you hate it, you don't have to ever do it again!
Pop June 2010, Pop May 2011
AOA December 2012,Disneyland July 2013
Poly August 2013,Wilderness Lodge June 2014
Upcoming trip:Pop December 2014
kcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #22
summermac
DIS Veteran

It's my favorite ride at WDW. Seriously. I love it - and the theme is so cool too!
Jun 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2001 - offsite
May 1998 - All Star Music
summermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #23
Narnian_Princess
I'm trying, I'm trying
Extreme Star Wars geek
Google is my best friend

I like a lot of "big" coasters, too, and I'm going to join the minority who hate ToT. I rode it once and said "never again". Then five years later I thought, "it can't be as bad as I remember" and rode again. Oh, yes it could. I want to see the theming again but there's no way you'll get me to ride.

I have ridden Hulk several times and while I'm not a fan of the launch I found it 10x more tolerable than ToT.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #24
buzz2400
The TF waves to buzz2400's DS

I would not try this ride for a very long time even though I love thrill rides. I finally decided to try it (what could possibly happen in the three to five minutes of the ride). First, there is a theme to the ride which is very good. Second, you don't know how many drops you are actually going to have. Third, you are in a box, with a strap on your waist and there are handles on the side of the chairs that you can hold on to. Four, most of the drop is in the dark, you only see light when you get to the "holes" of the building.

Now when the ride is over, we look at each other and say "that's it?". If you get the courage, just try it. It is only a few minutes of your life and then you will know if you like it or not.
buzz2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #25
KimmiP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepizzo View Post
Does anyone know if the WDW ToT always had staggered drops, or when it first opened did it just have a straight 13 story drop?
When it first opened I believe it had only one drop. I remember going when it first opened. Then they made more than one drop. Then they changed it again to be random drops.

It was a long time ago and my mind is going so forgive me if I'm wrong.

Btw...as far as I'm concerned, best ride in WDW. I could do it all day

Been to the world too many times to count
KimmiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #26
KimmiP
Mouseketeer

Ok dating myself...but I remember the ride when you just had the lap bar that went across the whole of 4 people and not the individual belts. You get a pooh sized person next to you and you are definietly getting air time . The only seat back then that had the seat belt was the middle seat in the last row, the seat facing the aisle (those that have been on the ride know which one I mean). That my friends is the seat you want for the experience

Seriously, try it once. That is my advice.

Been to the world too many times to count
KimmiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #27
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmiP View Post
Ok dating myself...but I remember the ride when you just had the lap bar that went across the whole of 4 people and not the individual belts. You get a pooh sized person next to you and you are definietly getting air time . The only seat back then that had the seat belt was the middle seat in the last row, the seat facing the aisle (those that have been on the ride know which one I mean). That my friends is the seat you want for the experience

Seriously, try it once. That is my advice.
The first time I rode it 13 years ago I realized I was standing in the spot for the "seatbelt seat". I was so exited! Then when the doors opened a kid darted in front of me and tried to grab it. I said move along son.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #28
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticsoap View Post
I'm not a fan of drops either, but ToT really isn't that bad.
OP, you have nothing to worry about. Technically, it's not a "drop" -- it's a "pull."
Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #29
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepizzo View Post
It never dropped 13 stories... between the equipment above and below, you're lucky if you get 7 or 8 stories per drop.

Most drops are a lot shorter than that, due to the random cycling.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
DizFanSLD
Mouseketeer

I will say, that if you have been on those bone jarring rides like Free Fall at Six Flags and their ilk, it's no wonder you hate straight drops. That thing always made it feel like they were trying to make your kidney come out through your nose. But the drops on ToT are smooth. You get the stomach dropping effect, like in a fast express elevator, but you are NOT thrown around.

I'd say give it a try.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: