Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
aubreysmom09
Mouseketeer

I really liked his blog. It puts some things in perspective for me. It's been 2 years since we have been, and this is my first time staying onsite. I think we will make sure to be there at RD. I'm glad we are morning people The only thing is i'm trying to figure out what to ride first since our DD is 4 and only 43". Should we hit Space Mountain do the parent swap first to get it out of the way, or head to some thing DD can ride??
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
fishhunter
Mouseketeer

Rope Drop is the key to the FP+ problems

I typically take my family to Disney during their busiest time if the year, Christmas. We are usually the first ones at the rope in the morning and ride all marquee rides with hardly any wait time at all with no FPs. I purchase park hoppers so I do use FP if I attend another park that day. If I do get FPs itís only about two anyway. My attendance of another park is determined by my dinner reservations. If you make the rope drop and plan your route out you will have very few problems.
fishhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Good post. Funny as usual.

So rope drop is going to continue to be important..I guess we kind of knew that, but it's cool to see it in action.

The one thing I would disagree with was the comment where he said something like what's the big deal if you don't get to ride BTMRR one more time and you ride the Liberty Belle instead. I think that is definitely true if you live locally or if you travel there a few times a year. But for the family who has to save up, buy expensive flights, hotels, and gets to go maybe once every year or two years, losing those re-rides in the afternoon is a huge takeaway.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
I last went to MK last Feb, and I think Josh's experience in the early morning is exactly the same as mine. I came at RD for a 9 AM opening and did walk on PP and Little Mermaid. I headed to Frontierland, I remember standing in the long walkway on my way to BTMR and it was COMPLETELY empty at 10 AM. So, no, I don't think he is being overly optimistic.
This was our experience as well. We were in the parks Dec. 31-Jan. 6... one of the busiest weeks of the year. I have photos of the parks that show how few people were there at times. We rode everything we wanted to. No problems at all.
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCharlotte View Post
Those are some strange wait times. The mountains are not that long, while others are surprisingly long. PotC is only five minutes shorter than the Space Mtn line and longer than Jungle Cruise? That part is not reassuring.
I've seen speculation that there are more FP+ offered per ride than there were legacy FPs, but my suspicion is that there are fewer per ride, but more overall since more options exist. Add in the 3 FP+ cap, with no repeats, and that will mean some of the most popular rides will have shorter stand-by lines.

I haven't been following the eight gazillion FP+ threads, so this may not be an original thought, but my theory is that The Powers That Be figured out (or decided) that people who get multiple FPs for the same ride are "not spending enough" -- i.e., not spending as much as people who enjoy a wider variety of rides -- so FP+ is designed to shorten the lines for those who are more likely to spend money when not riding.

I've heard people who could really work the Legacy FPs say they'd bought most of the souvenirs they were ever likely to, and a lot of them didn't do sit-down meals at the parks, either. If the major FP users spend less, on average, per hour than people who didn't use the FP system or who only got a couple of FPs a day, then Disney wants fewer of the major FP users, and more of the people who never did much get use out of FP. Shortening the lines for those who don't understand the system while cutting off access to multiple times on the same popular ride is a good way to do that.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #21
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

I am a huge FP+ supporter! I loved the MB & FP+ when we went in Oct/Nov of last year. I laugh at the people who act like they can ONLY ride 3 rides a day because they are so "limited" with FP+. I read one poster who said they "refuse to stand in line" for any ride, to which I think is just a personal problem and really has nothing to do with the program. And also the people who state "I paid good money" and who also feel they have the right to do what ever they want because of the money they spent. News flash...... WE ALL PAID GOOD MONEY!! Its not like I used the money I printed in my basement to pay for my trip, or that it was free in any way. I worked overtime to pay for my trip and I loved every minute of it (although I think the vodka helped a bit!). I am very glad to see that more people are having great experiences with MB & FP+ to counteract all the negativity on these boards.

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #22
Iowajes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I'm a FP+ fan, but I think this guy is overly optimistic. All those pictures of an empty park? This is not going to be the typical experience.
The empty park pictures were around 8 a.m. It was insanely crowded in his mid-day pictures. He went over a holiday weekend.
Iowajes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #23
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Josh does give great advice, but I think his post only highlights how FP+ is really going to change things. We used to be able to get a lot done at the parks, even if we missed rope drop by an hour or so, because we used FP smartly, and we were able to get many more than three FPs a day.

Now, it is imperative to not miss rope drop by even a few minutes if you want to get lots of riding in.

I also think that Josh's timeline is overly optimistic for most people, he is one person, moving efficiently through the park. There is no way I get could from Fairytale hall to Peter Pan in two minutes, rounding up the kids, parking and unloading the stroller, it all takes more time. All that extra travel time means less riding in the end, unfortunately.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post

So rope drop is going to continue to be important..I guess we kind of knew that, but it's cool to see it in action.

The one thing I would disagree with was the comment where he said something like what's the big deal if you don't get to ride BTMRR one more time and you ride the Liberty Belle instead. I think that is definitely true if you live locally or if you travel there a few times a year. But for the family who has to save up, buy expensive flights, hotels, and gets to go maybe once every year or two years, losing those re-rides in the afternoon is a huge takeaway.
Yep. A billion dollars (or is it 2?) later it's still "get to rope drop".

And yes, I love Josh's posts. But I do think it's hard for a local frequent visitor to see it through the same eyes as the occasional visitor.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #25
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Josh does give great advice, but I think his post only highlights how FP+ is really going to change things. We used to be able to get a lot done at the parks, even if we missed rope drop by an hour or so, because we used FP smartly, and we were able to get many more than three FPs a day.

Now, it is imperative to not miss rope drop by even a few minutes if you want to get lots of riding in.

I also think that Josh's timeline is overly optimistic for most people, he is one person, moving efficiently through the park. There is no way I get could from Fairytale hall to Peter Pan in two minutes, rounding up the kids, parking and unloading the stroller, it all takes more time. All that extra travel time means less riding in the end, unfortunately.
I agree on all points. Josh is one person, who knows exactly where he is going and the most efficient/quickest way to get there.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #26
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

This IS a matter of galactic importance, after all!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #27
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I believe he was wrong on some of his conclusions.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #28
wisblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:

To be fair, he didn't say "what's the big deal". He said that if losing that one re-ride is going to cause you stress or keep you away from Disney World, "that is your own business". I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Most of the posters here who say they don't think FP+ will affect them too much, or may even help them, have acknowledged that FP+ will probably be a negative for people who consider multiple rides on one attraction a critical part of their day. As he says, that is your business, and I would add, that is your right.

But, this step by step summary with pictures of what happened on the first weekend day at the MK without paper FPs (on a holiday weekend at that) should help to counter some of the hysteria about how you can only do 3 things without long lines, that standby lines are a lot longer than they used to be on days with similar crowds, and that FP return lines are always slower than they used to be. He also debunks the idea that all of the FP+ kiosks at which offsite guests can get FPs are jammed with huge lines from the minute the park opens, and that the availability of FPs is severely limited.
wisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #29
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:

Or when your scaredy cat kiddo finally rides the big ride and looks at you and says "can we go again"...in the past we would be able to pull another FP-, now the only way to ride it again is to stand in a ridiculously long line, it is not happening.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #30
Silock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisblue View Post
Different people will draw different things from this report but, if nothing else, everyone should look at the conclusion:

Touring with FP+ is different. But different isnít always worse. The three FP+ cap at Magic Kingdom is limiting. There is no getting around that, but there are positive takeaways too. It was really nice being able to walk into Enchanted Tales in the afternoon with a FP+ reservation made earlier that day Ė something that wasnít possible before. I accomplished everything I wanted to that morning with virtually no waits, even with people being able to schedule FP+ first thing in the morning. The only thing I wasnít able to do was run around Magic Kingdom collecting paper FASTPASSes to re-ride a couple attractions later in the afternoon. Is one less re-ride going to keep you away from Walt Disney World? Is it worth stressing over? Is the world ending because you find yourself on a relaxing Liberty Square Riverboat ride instead of huffing and puffing back to Big Thunder Mountain to ride for the third time that day? This is your own business. But I can assure you that itís going to be all right.

If this doesn't provide assurance to people with trips coming in the near future, when crowds figure to be lower until President's Day, nothing will.
I actually have no problems with FP+ at MK. The rides there aren't worth a re-ride for me, anyway. It's the Tiering at Epcot and DHS that suck. DHS has more than two rides that are must do re-rides for me.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: