Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
melnbil
DIS Veteran

We can go!! No we can't. We can go!! A PTR-Finished 1-26

So it all started in the spring of 2012, me (Melody), my husband (Billy) and my son (Chandler) started discussing going to Disney again. We wanted to go for MNSSHP in October 2013, as well as F/W Festival. When Chandler's school schedule came out in April/May we saw he didn't have a fall break, and decided it just was not in the cards. Then in June, my husband's father passed away and we thought it might be fun to go during Christmas break. His mom then got sick and was in poor health. We didn't want to risk planning a vacation and then something happening while we were gone so we chose to wait. After almost 6 months of mourning, Marie (MIL) passed in November. I asked my husband again about a vacation sometime this summer. He said we could. I started pricing WDW vacations, and they were just too much, so we decided on Gatlinburg, TN. And the planning began. I had made hotel reservations, and started looking at activities to fill our day. One dreary January day, I was checking my facebook page and lo and behold.....the Dis announced a new Disney offer. I checked it out and began plotting. Turns out, we could go to Disney for just a couple hundred more than Gatlinburg. So when he came home from work, I carefully planned my strategy and showed him the numbers. Would he give the go ahead??? He did! He did! He did!! So now we are planning an almost two week trip staying at POP. I then ordered a 2014 planning video, and a couple days later got a PIN code in the mail. We are now staying at AKL on the 25th of May for one night, room only and then beginning our package on the 26th. Sorry for the lack of pictures, photobook and I don't get along. Please feel free to comment and follow along as I reveal my plans for the trip.

Introductions
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post50529457

The Lodgin's
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50538702

Let's get this party started!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50552225

Daily Plans
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post50570706

May 1988 off-site with PVHS Marching Band, June 1990 off-site with PVHS Marching Band, Sept 1999 All Star Movies for belated honeymoon, May 2011 ds 1st visit, May 2014 First Pop Stay

Mini-PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3224824

Last edited by melnbil; 01-26-2014 at 07:23 AM.
melnbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
anniebabymu
Mouseketeer

I'm here! Excited to see another May PTR!
November 2014: Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon, Girls Only Trip, Pop Century?? MVMCP ?

10 Nights, 9 Days, 2 Birthdays and 1 Magical May 2014 Vacation PTR *May 2014 Facebook Page... Click here!*

Me DH DD6 DD2
anniebabymu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Loftin716
Mouseketeer

Wow! Sorry for you losses. I'm sure this trip will be well worth your wait! I don't travel til June and it cannot get here soon enough!
Loftin716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
wreckdiva
Earning My Ears

Sorry to hear of all the loss. Most definitely a much needed trip, which I am Sure can't come fast enough! How exciting!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
melnbil
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebabymu View Post
I'm here! Excited to see another May PTR!
Glad to have you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftin716 View Post
Wow! Sorry for you losses. I'm sure this trip will be well worth your wait! I don't travel til June and it cannot get here soon enough!
Thank you. I agree May/June needs to hurry up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckdiva View Post
Sorry to hear of all the loss. Most definitely a much needed trip, which I am Sure can't come fast enough! How exciting!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!
Definitely much needed. It needs to get here like tomorrow!!

May 1988 off-site with PVHS Marching Band, June 1990 off-site with PVHS Marching Band, Sept 1999 All Star Movies for belated honeymoon, May 2011 ds 1st visit, May 2014 First Pop Stay

Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
blueangel2
Mouseketeer

Hi, I'm following from the facebook group. Glad to have another PTR in May to follow along with

Last edited by blueangel2; 01-20-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
blueangel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
melnbil
DIS Veteran

Introductions

Going on this trip will be:

Me (Melody). I am a 41 stay at home mom. I enjoy Genealogy and all things associated with it, I also enjoy Disney. This will be my 5th trip to the world. I went in 1988 as a sophomore in high school, and then again in 1990 as a senior. Both times, I went with the band. The second trip, we marched at night and actually led the MSEP. It was awesome!! The third trip was in 1999 with my husband (his first trip) for a belated honeymoon. We were young and naïve at the time and while we had fun, it was not the most enjoyable trip, as we were sunburned on the first day and miserable most of the trip, not to mention broke. The last trip we took was in 2011, and our son's first. This trip was a whole new experience, being able to see it thru his eyes gives a whole new meaning to magic.

My husband (Billy). He is the income in our family, and the one who gave me the go ahead to book! He works at Federal Mogul. He enjoys playing video games and anything animation related. He loves to watch Disney movies and cartoons. Right now he is fascinated with My Little Pony and Sophia the First He isn't on the disboards, so maybe no one will tell him I said that.

Finaly, our son (Chandler). He is a 3rd grader at Pleasant Valley. He is an A student, with one B to his name last nine weeks. He is extremely smart, and has ADHD, so takes medication to help keep him under control. He too enjoys video games, especially watching walk throughs on youtube. He is excited about going back to Disney and getting to do Pirate's League.

Photo0352FourBySix by melnbilc, on Flickr

Last edited by melnbil; 02-03-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
melnbil
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2 View Post
Hi, I'm following from the facebook group. Glad to have another PTR in May to follow along with
Thank you for coming over. I started your report yesterday. Going to finish it now.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
melnbil
DIS Veteran

My plans are in the midst of a MAJOR OVERHAUL!!!! Days, ressies, resorts you name it! As soon as I get them sorted, I will start sharing!!

Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
anniebabymu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnbil View Post
My plans are in the midst of a MAJOR OVERHAUL!!!! Days, ressies, resorts you name it! As soon as I get them sorted, I will start sharing!!
You've got me intrigued! Can't wait to hear!
November 2014: Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon, Girls Only Trip, Pop Century?? MVMCP ?

10 Nights, 9 Days, 2 Birthdays and 1 Magical May 2014 Vacation PTR *May 2014 Facebook Page... Click here!*

Me DH DD6 DD2
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
melnbil
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebabymu View Post
You've got me intrigued! Can't wait to hear!
Working on the beginning of the trip now.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
melnbil
DIS Veteran

Lodgin's

As I said yesterday, our plans have gone through some major changes, all on their own with no help from me. Our trip began as an eight night, nine day trip beginning on the 26th of May, all at the same resort. Now, it is a 13 night 14 day trip that includes 3 hotels. I booked our room the 10th of January for our package; room, 10 day base tickets and Deluxe Dining. One day last week, I received a PIN for 35% off of room only, but we had to book by the 15th of February. Well, I called and added a night on the day we were driving (25th) at AKL so my son could experience the resort. It was then I decided to leave mid-afternoon on the 24th so we could get there earlier on the 25th. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it isn’t a good idea to go from deluxe to value. So, since we are leaving the 24th, I decided to add a night to the beginning and swap AKL to the end of the trip as a surprise. So all reservations are DONE!! Yep, no more changin’.

They look like this:

May 24th-we will leave Jacksonville, Alabama around 9ish. No hurry, stop eat breakfast, gas up the car, get ice, etc. and hit the road. Chandler has no idea when we are going, only the summer. So I will just tell him we are going to eat. I knew that we will end up driving all the way thru, but could not justify another night on our package, so I booked The Hilton Orlando @ Lake Buena Vista for the night. We will check in and “sleep”. Yeah we all know there won’t be no sleeping we will be too danged excited.

May 25th-we will wake early and check-out, then drive the 15 to 20 minutes to Pop Century for our package. We will stay here thru June 5th.

June 5th-we will check-out of Pop, letting Chandler think we are going home. But he is in for a big surprise!! We will eat at Chef Mickey’s that morning and visit DTD for the day. But after we get back to POP to pick up our car, instead of driving home, we will drive to AKL instead!!!

I am ready to get there already!! I know it will go by too fast when we do, so for now.....I am enjoying the planning.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
blueangel2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
As I said yesterday, our plans have gone through some major changes, all on their own with no help from me. Our trip began as an eight night, nine day trip beginning on the 26th of May, all at the same resort. Now, it is a 13 night 14 day trip that includes 3 hotels. I booked our room the 10th of January for our package; room, 10 day base tickets and Deluxe Dining. One day last week, I received a PIN for 35% off of room only, but we had to book by the 15th of February. Well, I called and added a night on the day we were driving (25th) at AKL so my son could experience the resort. It was then I decided to leave mid-afternoon on the 24th so we could get there earlier on the 25th. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it isn’t a good idea to go from deluxe to value. So, since we are leaving the 24th, I decided to add a night to the beginning and swap AKL to the end of the trip as a surprise. So all reservations are DONE!! Yep, no more changin’.

They look like this:

May 24th-we will leave Jacksonville, Alabama around 9ish. No hurry, stop eat breakfast, gas up the car, get ice, etc. and hit the road. Chandler has no idea when we are going, only the summer. So I will just tell him we are going to eat. I knew that we will end up driving all the way thru, but could not justify another night on our package, so I booked The Hilton Orlando @ Lake Buena Vista for the night. We will check in and “sleep”. Yeah we all know there won’t be no sleeping we will be too danged excited.

May 25th-we will wake early and check-out, then drive the 15 to 20 minutes to Pop Century for our package. We will stay here thru June 5th.

June 5th-we will check-out of Pop, letting Chandler think we are going home. But he is in for a big surprise!! We will eat at Chef Mickey’s that morning and visit DTD for the day. But after we get back to POP to pick up our car, instead of driving home, we will drive to AKL instead!!!

I am ready to get there already!! I know it will go by too fast when we do, so for now.....I am enjoying the planning.
The surprise of realizing the stay isn't over yet is so exciting. Just the look on his face will make it all worth it. I wanted to keep our trip a secret from my dd, but I couldn't I was too excited about it. Now she's saving every penny she gets for souvenirs, in fact she received about $200 in cash over christmas (from out of town relatives) and she decided to save it rather than buy toys. I'm so proud of her.

GL keeping the secret, that's a lot of discipline
Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
anniebabymu
Mouseketeer

Quote:

They look like this:

How fun!! I can't wait to hear about his reaction to the "Surprise, we're not going home yet!!" Love it!

Me DH DD6 DD2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: