Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Miaka1
Earning My Ears

First Disney trip with a type 1 diabetic

I'm looking for a little info on WDW with a ten year old diabetic. Its our first family trip to Disney and I'm a little concerned about what the dining people told me. I made all our advanced dining reservations online with the mydisneyexp but there wasn't an option to say I'm bringing a diabetic, so I gave them a call. The woman I spoke to with Disney dining told me that she didn't need to notate that DD was diabetic and we just have to tell them when we check in. This doesn't sound right to me, anyone with experience with this?
Also we are doig the disney princess breakfast in epcot and they could not tell me if they would have sugar free syrup or jelly and suggested I bring my own. I emailed disney because I wasn't real happy with the help I got, but haven't heard anything back. We leave in20 days, and I want to get everything figured out. Any help would be appreciated.
Miaka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
NicoleLarson
Mouseketeer

I can't really answer your question on doing WDW with a diabetic but I am a registered dietitian and am wondering why WDW needs to note that on the reservation. The 10 year old (not sure if this is your child), should have had a class on carb counting and should be able to estimate portion sizes (when in doubt go for a half cup as 1 serving), if not they definitely need one ASAP. All that they have to do is add up the estimated amount of carbohydates they eat and give themselves the appropriate amount of insulin. They don't really need a separate menu. Also watch the "sugar free" stuff. This stuff is NOT carbohydate free (BIG DIFFERENCE)! Always look at the amount of carbohydates in an item, not the amount of sugar (total carbohydates account for all the sugars in the item, not just the white table sugar). So your sugar free syrup is not carbohydrate free syrup (probably has the same amount of carbs as regular). Also, just FYI you shouldn't need syrup at Akershus. You don't get waffles, french toast or pancakes. Sorry for hijacking your thread but there is so much misinformation out there on diabetics, I thought that I would try to help you out. Which hopefully didn't confuse you more.
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
MsMagical
Mouseketeer

I am diabetic and this sounds about right. Generally, there would not be a need to note this on the reservation at any restaurant unless it is a prix fixe menu. The odds of having sugar-free syrups or jam/jelly is pretty low so if you (or his parents) wish for these things, you probably should have your own. I've never asked for them myself since I pretty much stay away from all of it (why tempt myself?). I've never had any trouble finding acceptable (and delicious) meals at Disney World and even the kids meals have well balanced options for a diabetic. You can request substitutions for things like fries, potatos, etc that are high in carbohydrates for other options (I've gotten veggies and/or fruit).
MsMagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
mousefan4ever
Earning My Ears

When we went to Disney 2 years ago, I had 2 diabetics with me...my son(he was 10) and my niece(turned 18 while we were there)...
we had no problems with the food. we did fairly good guessing the carbs. To be honest, with all the walking and excitement, we had to to carry snacks in our backpack to keep up with lows!!
I do admit we were nervous at first but there were plenty of choices on the buffets to still keep them eating healthy.
If you have any questions, you can PM me and maybe I could help.
mousefan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"

My DH is a type 1 diabetic and uses an insulin pump. As others have stated, type 1 involves more carb-counting than carb-avoiding (that is more the realm of type 2 diabetics who are controlling their disease with diet changes).

My DH tends to get lower glucose levels with all the walking, so keeping snacks on hand is a good idea. There are always an abundance of them in the parks, though. But there were a few times when DH needed to eat quickly.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Miaka1
Earning My Ears

My daughter is the diabetic, and yes we have been to the carb counting classes. My biggest concern is syrup. Since we are doing a breakfast buffet that is going to have waffles, and i know my daughter will want sugar free syrup with them. I know all about carb counting and making good choices, but regular syrup has around 50 carbs a serving, while the sugar free has 12. A HUGE difference. I think its a little crazy that I can call McDonalds and Jack in the box, and they will tell me that they carry sugar free syrup, but when i call disney I can't get a yes or no answer. So now, i will be carrying syrup into the park so that DD can have some with her breakfast. That sounds like a mess waiting to happen.
Miaka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
calngavinsmom
Mouseketeer

Hi there! I too have a little type one diabetic and we go to Disney annually. He does fine! Like the others have said, with all the walking it isn't the highs you need to worry about so much as the lows. We always had fruit snacks and glucose tabs on hand for him and he did need them....our usual routine was so far off from the norm with all that activity!

I am super surprised that they were unable to help you with that information....they are usually so awesome with special dietary concerns. Maybe it was just a matter of not reaching the right people? Did you call the restaurant directly or speak to a person from Disney dining? You could try to call the specific restaurant that you are going to and speak to the manager....they should for sure be able to help you out :-)

Hope that helps.....have a great trip!

calngavinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
calngavinsmom
Mouseketeer

The direct number to Akershus is 407-939-3463

calngavinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
mousefan4ever
Earning My Ears

When we had our breakfast at the grand Floridian with Mary poppins and Alice in wonderland, they brought us sugar free syrup. Ask when you get to the restaurant.
mousefan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: