Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #136
Stoneham92
Mouseketeer

This is why Disney profits are us 33 percent

----------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 2015: WDW Marathon Volunteer /Jan 2014: WDW Marathon Volunteer - BWV /February 2013: 50th Celebration - BWV / Jan 2012: WDW Marathon Volunteer - Ft.Wilderness / July 2010: Brothers Free Birthday - WDW Dolphin / April 2007: Brother-in-law's family 1st trip - BWV / July 2004: Disneyland / Red sox Game / Feb 2003:40th Birthday Bash - WDW Dolphin / July 2001: Disney Magic / Feb 1997: Kids 1st trip - Ft. Wilderness / April 1986: Work friend / April 1976: 1st trip to DisneyWorld / July 1970: 1st trip to Disneyland

Stoneham92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #137
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
That's not a big deal and you know it. Like false dining reservations, fastpass cheating, and pool stealing...

All those things happen... But vastly Overstated and statistical outliers
Not to mention...Disney WANTS day guests using that transportation to go to it's resorts so they can eat at their restaurants.

I agree with the "statistical outlier" on people who go park at a resort and use Disney transportation to get to the parks...but it's a two way loop.

There are a fair number COMING from the parks, going to the restaurants to eat, and then heading BACK to a park.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #138
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Not to mention...Disney WANTS day guests using that transportation to go to it's resorts so they can eat at their restaurants. I agree with the "statistical outlier" on people who go park at a resort and use Disney transportation to get to the parks...but it's a two way loop. There are a fair number COMING from the parks, going to the restaurants to eat, and then heading BACK to a park.
Maybe they should just open up EMH to everyone instead of using that as a perk. Disney WANTS everyone in the parks spending money after all.

Not sure I'm making a legitimate debate because I have no idea if bus transportation was ever an onsite perk.

Does Disney care though if a guest eats in the parks or at a resort? Is their a better profit margin if they eat at a resort?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #139
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
Maybe they should just open up EMH to everyone instead of using that as a perk. Disney WANTS everyone in the parks spending money after all.

Not sure I'm making a legitimate debate because I have no idea if bus transportation was ever an onsite perk.

Does Disney care though if a guest eats in the parks or at a resort? Is their a better profit margin if they eat at a resort?
It's likely a capacity issue.

They have spare capacity at the resorts (vs resort guest only wanting to eat in those particular restaurants on any given day/night) while having more limited capacity (vs total number of guests in the parks who want a meal on disney property) in the parks.

Potentially empty tables, though....that's a bad thing in Disney's eyes. Especially now a days. They're going to do everything possible to get those off site guests to spend more on property...and to fill their restaurants to as high a capacity as possible.

Getting an off site guest FROM a park, to a resort hotel, is (I'm guessing) almost a "for sure" reach into that guests pocket. Because...why else would they be going? Looky loos, maybe...but I'm not sure there are that many (and even the ones that are....maybe a grab from a gift shop, etc) and parking stealers (again, I agree with locked out...those are likely a very small % of people).

The resort monorail is the only thing I see being different...because of its stop at the TTC. I'm not sure how you get around that, and still get folks to, say, 1900 Park Faire or 'Ohanas....especially the stuff at the GF (there's alternatives for the Contemp and Poly, I guess, via walking paths...though that access isn't particularly friendly for some guests).

EMH is a different animal. It's limited, by it's very nature, since it's one park, one day. And it "costs" disney very little in terms of additional staffing (relative to total use across the resorts). Basically, its a nice perk to compel you to book on property that costs them little, and doesn't obstruct the revenue flow from off site guests. Those off site guests are paying the same ticket price to get in that day...nothing more and no less.....so Disney's still getting it's full complement of revenue from both ticket buys.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #140
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
It's likely a capacity issue. They have spare capacity at the resorts (vs resort guest only wanting to eat in those particular restaurants on any given day/night) while having more limited capacity (vs total number of guests in the parks who want a meal on disney property) in the parks. EMH is a different animal. It's limited, by it's very nature, since it's one park, one day. And it "costs" disney very little in terms of additional staffing (relative to total use across the resorts). Basically, its a nice perk to compel you to book on property that costs them little, and doesn't obstruct the revenue flow from off site guests. Those off site guests are paying the same ticket price to get in that day...nothing more and no less. Potentially empty tables, though....that's a bad thing in Disney's eyes. Especially now a days. They're going to do everything possible to get those off site guests to spend more on property...and to fill their restaurants to as high a capacity as possible. Getting an off site guest FROM a park, to a resort hotel, is (I'm guessing) almost a "for sure" reach into that guests pocket. Because...why else would they be going? Looky loos, maybe...but I'm not sure there are that many (and even the ones that are....maybe a grab from a gift shop, etc) and parking stealers (again, I agree with locked out...those are likely a very small % of people). The resort monorail is the only thing I see being different...because of its stop at the TTC. I'm not sure how you get around that, and still get folks to, say, 1900 Park Faire or 'Ohanas....especially the stuff at the GF (there's alternatives for the Contemp and Poly, I guess, via walking paths...though that access isn't particularly friendly for some guests).
I can see the empty tables issue for sure.

I wish they could remedy the bus issues though. Maybe others don't mind standing on the bus and waiting for them.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #141
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
I can see the empty tables issue for sure.

I wish they could remedy the bus issues though. Maybe others don't mind standing on the bus and waiting for them.
I don't think anybody enjoys it. I just don't think there is a real "solution" to the problem that benefits both guests and Disney's interests.

Anecdotally, I think the only time I've ever had to stand is when catching a bus at park closing...when the system is just completely overwhelmed. I don't think limiting the buses, even at that point, to resort only guests would make much of a difference. At that point, you're filling past the bus capacity anyway (usually with people in line, still waiting, for the next one).
Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #142
DisneyFanDad
Earning My Ears

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or asked yet... but how many people have tried to get a fast pass for Toy Story or Soaring lately? The last two times I tried to do Toy Story, I got to the the park during magic hours, ran to the fast pass machine, and promptly got 4 fast passes for my family ... for 2:30PM. It was like 8:30 in the morning I think. And the fast pass was for 6 hours later. So then one of my kids isn't tall enough for tower of terror or rocking roller coaster, and most of the shows don't start until after lunch... so the whole morning was shot. At best Disney Studios is usually a half day or 3/4 day park.

Even worse, if you don't get a fast pass before like 10 or 11AM, then you can't even get one because they are all sold out. I look forward to being able to schedule my fast pass times so we can plan our time accordingly and not have to have a single parent run from attraction to attraction to try to get fast passes for the kids to enjoy.

There may be a few bumps here and there, but I think I like what Disney is trying to do here.
DisneyFanDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #143
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFanDad View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or asked yet... but how many people have tried to get a fast pass for Toy Story or Soaring lately? The last two times I tried to do Toy Story, I got to the the park during magic hours, ran to the fast pass machine, and promptly got 4 fast passes for my family ... for 2:30PM. It was like 8:30 in the morning I think. And the fast pass was for 6 hours later. So then one of my kids isn't tall enough for tower of terror or rocking roller coaster, and most of the shows don't start until after lunch... so the whole morning was shot. At best Disney Studios is usually a half day or 3/4 day park.

Even worse, if you don't get a fast pass before like 10 or 11AM, then you can't even get one because they are all sold out. I look forward to being able to schedule my fast pass times so we can plan our time accordingly and not have to have a single parent run from attraction to attraction to try to get fast passes for the kids to enjoy.

There may be a few bumps here and there, but I think I like what Disney is trying to do here.
Whatever works for your family, man.

I will say this: If you were in the park at EMH, around 8:30 (assuming they started at 8 AM)...you likely could have avoided the FP kiosks and just headed to the standby line. At least on mornings we've done that...even if we arrive a few minutes past opening, the wait is not all that long. And about 15 min before the regular guests come in (so..right around 8:30 on a morning when EMH starts at 8) it's been between 15 and 30 min, tops. That swells VERY quickly once the day guests are in the park, though.....

Now, we travel during the slower times (early Dec, mid Jan, early Oct)...but I've heard that pattern is relatively "normal".
Old 02-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #144
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monique5 View Post
Agree to disagree. If you stay on property @ US: Express Pass FREE
Stay @ Disney:$119.60

This is were most will agree & some will disagree. Universal "appreciates" it's guests more, more perks. This is what most ppl say & how they feel. Disney doesn't give on property guests any extra incentives for staying on property.

With that being said...plenty of people pay in excess of $5000 on vacations for cruises, Beaches, Sandals, trips abroad, etc. These vacations have no rides. Point...it's what you consider is value/ experience for your money.

We decide that...others are now not going to Disney, or doing split stays @ Disney & US, or taking fewer Disney vacations. That's their right, not for us to call them names.

Lastly, ppl always say well we can't pay that price, we stay off-site, we have a time share. Again, your choices. With that being said...just like you research a Disney vacation, I would hope you researched those options as well. If so, you should/would have compared the pros & cons and live with those decisions. Side note, we know everyone can't pay, but you can save over time. And not to offend anyone, but life isn't always fair, and until the end of time ppl will always make more than other, save more than others, & vacation differently than others.

If you pay for certain things, you want to see THE VALUE FOR WHAT YOU PAID. If not, then obviously you will go where you see the value. Some will go to US, cruise, or BG. Some will continue to go to Disney, & for many in this group VALUE is not necessarily in the price.
Nobody is requiring you to buy extra fastpasses, if it ever comes to that (the option to buy more) You (and everyone else) will still get three. And there aren't any rides at Disney that are out of the fastpass system, as the Harry Potter rides are at Universal.

Not sure where you're getting info that people aren't going to Disney, they just had a great quarter where they had record attendance, it was noted.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #145
AndrewJackson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Yet another FP+ thread, but I just got it on very, very, very, very, very good authority that Disney will begin testing additional FP+s as benefits to Disney Guests and for purchase no later than year's end but probably much, much sooner if the final rollout goes according to plan at DHS and Epcot.

Supposedly, select guests would be given the option to purchase additional FP+s (no maximum set yet) for $9.99 for tier two attractions at DHS and Epcot and $14.99 for tier one and MK/DAK attractions (unless they put tiers on those which is still yet to be decided). This price is obviously per person per ride. Now, still only one FP+ can be obtained for any attraction, so one cannot use a purchased FP+ for an attraction that they already have FP+ on that day. They're looking to incorporate the resorts in to this "somehow" once they start allowing offsiters to book their FP+s in advance.

Of course, Disney has stated that they will "not charge for FastPass+" but if you think about their language, you realize that they really could be saying that the first three FP+s are free for all but for more, you'll have to pay or stay at a Disney Hotel.

While this has been floating around for a while and is still classified as a "rumor" (not been confirmed by Disney), it seems very real and should be coming sooner rather than later. Thoughts?
I can't imagine that this would happen.

First of all, most of the tier 2 rides at Epcot are walk-on rides. Who is going to pay $50 for a family of 5 to use a FP+ for the Newo ride, or Living with the Land? Second, how can they justify charging more for an extra tier 1 ride than an extra day at the park? Once you buy a 4 day ticket, it only costs an extra $10 to add a day.

This rumor makes no sense.

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
Villas at Wilderness Lodge - March, 2013

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - March, 2014
AndrewJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #146
Vinnya1726
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eangel12 View Post
I know that Sesame Place, which is right around the corner, does an unlimited Magic Queue. It is basically fast pass where you wait in the "exit" area and when they start a new ride, you get to go on right away, no matter how long the line. The price is $30.00 per person, per day. I could see how that would be a great option for people who are only visiting the park once and don't want to wait in line. For us, with annual passes, it would be $120.00 extra each visit. That is the cost of 1 season pass for us. We cannot justify the cost.

I think the part that is frustrating is the original legacy fastpass worked just fine. If the system is broke then it needs to be fixed, but the system wasn't broke.

My husband is of the mindset that 3 FP+ are enough if we do rope drop. I'm hoping he is right. He wants to rope drop...do important rides, go back to hotel to swim, come back at night with our FP+ and ride.

The idea of the HEAT, CROWDS and waiting in line might do me in completely.
I think his plan is a good one. I am going to follow that same blue print when I go this summer.
July 07 - Pop Century
DS First Visit
July 11 - Port of Orleans - French Quarter
DD First Visit
August 10 - First Trip as DVC Owners
AKL
Beach Club - With DBIL/DSIL
Bay Lake Tower - With DBIL/DSIL
Vinnya1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #147
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

This rumor could make sense if the plan was to add the additional cost of a 4th FP to the cost of the original ticket for the length of the ticket.

For example: A 4 Day Ticket with 3 FP+ entitlements per day would cost $200. A 4 Day Ticket with 4 FP+ entitlements per day would cost $250.

Disney could then offer the ticket upgrade for "free" to on-site guests as an incentive to stay on property. I can see the advertisements: Get up to 33% more fastpasses by staying on-site!

I doubt most people would view this as an additional cost of $12.50 per day for one additional FP+. If you think I am wrong, take a look at how many people by a dining plan because it is easier. They'll even justify it by viewing the prices of the items they ordered even though they likely over-order based on the fact that they have an entitlement for the item. (Seriously - who eats dessert every dinner?)

For me, I won't pay extra for an additional ride. I'll get to park opening and navigate the headliners then. I'll book my FP+ for mid-afternoon and do the lesser attractions in between. I've used FP+ twice now and this touring plan worked well (even during Christmas week).

Besides, I think my wife likes the fact that I don't have to leave the family to run for FPs anymore.....
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #148
Whatsthegoodword
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
Besides, I think my wife likes the fact that I don't have to leave the family to run for FPs anymore.....
+1. Speaking as the guy who has been the "FastPass Runner", I'm very glad to see this new system in place. I'm glad I don't have to - come in the gate at EPCOT and run/walk to Soarin' with 12-16 tickets in my hand, then run/walk over to Test Track only to not be in line with my family on my favorite ride - anymore.
Whatsthegoodword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #149
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthegoodword View Post
+1. Speaking as the guy who has been the "FastPass Runner", I'm very glad to see this new system in place. I'm glad I don't have to - come in the gate at EPCOT and run/walk to Soarin' with 12-16 tickets in my hand, then run/walk over to Test Track only to not be in line with my family on my favorite ride - anymore.
But is it worth $180 not to do that? Because if the rumor is true, and you want to do TT as your tier 1........... that's what it would cost a group of 12 to add that one additional tier 1 FP slot. Your group could have waited to the side to enter the ride the first time until you had FPs in hand, then you could have all ridden together.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #150
whodatdare
Mouseketeer

Sorry, Only read a few posts throughout this, so maybe this has been covered.. but...

Other than getting to book ahead of time, what other perk is there for using FP+ as an onsite guest? I keep seeing people say that the new "pay for extra" idea would get more people in the hotels? R U saying that on site guests get the extra FP for free?

If so, I don't see a problem with it. Really, people willing to pay that HUGE upgrade in hotel costs to stay onsite are already way overpaying Disney. We stay onsite for the EMH and Disney feel. But we could stay in a MUCH NICER place at half the cost if we went off site. This would be a nice way for Disney to say "THANK YOU" for staying in our hotels.

whodatdare is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: