Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #61
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

What a great day! I love Blizzard Beach - the combination of the lazy river with a cabana waiting at the end sounds wonderful.

(I must admit, I'm looking forward to each update just to see the progression of the eye. Sorry that your injury is resulting in my interest.)

The eye patch was a great idea!

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
JanetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #62
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful day
Love the water parks and often look enviously at the cabanas but am always afraid to book ahead in case of rain

Sounds like they were well worth it for you!

The progression of the eye injury is intriguing - love the eye patch
luvpoohandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #63
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I forgot to comment in one of the prior updates about the gun. As you probably recall, we have a few of those as they are the favorite souvenirs of my sons as well. We are using one of our red rifles as a prop for Calamity Jane in an upcoming performance of Night at the Wax Museum.

You are right- your eye looks and sounds worse every day!

I love that you got a Cabana at Blizzard Beach. What a nice treat for you all.

I love the family ride there! I am with you on the big slides. They don't necessarily scare me, and I don't have an issue with heights, but I don't particularly care for the feeling of water squirting in my face or an atomic wedgie.

You mentioned lightning closing down the chair lift, but were the other attractions open? We have encountered lightning nearby when we have been at BB and everything was closed down. Maybe it depends on how far away the lightning is.

Cute theming following up at day in the water with a dinner at Coral Reef! I am glad you were able to get a table closer to the tank. I mean, that is really the main draw of the restaurant!

No surprise the boys took a snooze at the table. An active day in the sun and water, followed by a late dinner = ZZZZZZZ!
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #64
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
What a great day! I love Blizzard Beach - the combination of the lazy river with a cabana waiting at the end sounds wonderful.

(I must admit, I'm looking forward to each update just to see the progression of the eye. Sorry that your injury is resulting in my interest.)

The eye patch was a great idea!
Yes, I'm interested in looking at the pictures as well as I think I blocked it out since returning. I REFUSED to let it spoil my vacation though!

Thanks for following along, regardless of the reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
What a wonderful day
Love the water parks and often look enviously at the cabanas but am always afraid to book ahead in case of rain

Sounds like they were well worth it for you!

The progression of the eye injury is intriguing - love the eye patch
We booked the morning of, or the night before... Rain didn't bother us. I think we had some at the end of the day.

Not sure what icon to use when discussing these matters. Maybe Definitely Maybe this one, without the cigarette??? Also But ABSOLUTELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I forgot to comment in one of the prior updates about the gun. As you probably recall, we have a few of those as they are the favorite souvenirs of my sons as well. We are using one of our red rifles as a prop for Calamity Jane in an upcoming performance of Night at the Wax Museum.

You are right- your eye looks and sounds worse every day!

I love that you got a Cabana at Blizzard Beach. What a nice treat for you all.

I love the family ride there! I am with you on the big slides. They don't necessarily scare me, and I don't have an issue with heights, but I don't particularly care for the feeling of water squirting in my face or an atomic wedgie.

You mentioned lightning closing down the chair lift, but were the other attractions open? We have encountered lightning nearby when we have been at BB and everything was closed down. Maybe it depends on how far away the lightning is.

Cute theming following up at day in the water with a dinner at Coral Reef! I am glad you were able to get a table closer to the tank. I mean, that is really the main draw of the restaurant!

No surprise the boys took a snooze at the table. An active day in the sun and water, followed by a late dinner = ZZZZZZZ!
Yep, those just-turned 11 year olds were snoozin' every night at the dinner table! Definitely kept them on the hop.

And DS STILL loves both guns we got. Absolutely LOVES them. How cool that you found another use!

The slides were open when the chair lift was closed. I guess the plastic slides were OK while the giant metal thing in the ski was NOT.

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Feckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #65
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for writing this wonderful trip report!!

I feel your pain about the plug situation in the airport! Here's a tip that always works for me... I carry an extension cord with a 3 plug outlet in my laptop briefcase. I find one of those plugs on the wall in the airport and I politely ask the persons using it if they wouldn't mind sharing the plug using my cord. Now one plug has turned into 3 and I have yet to run into someone who does not see the benefit of that arrangement and let me plug in. Invariably another desperate person comes around and with that third remaining outlet we are both heroes as we save the day and let them plug in as well.

That extension cord doesn't take up much room in the case and I know that I'll always be able to plug in no matter what. People just love this idea so now I will pass it on to you!

I always pack a multi plug, outlet strip with the plugs facing different directions for those block shaped plugs when I travel. However, I usually set up a charging station on the table or dresser so I can keep everything organized in the room and not forget the charging cords that would be plugged in all over the room at the various outlets if I did not have the strip.... That leaves me with the problem of where to plug in the lap top when I am using it on the bed. The cord that comes with the computer never seems to be comfortably long enough to reach the bedside plug. Out comes that 3 pronged cord and my problem is solved! I especially like that I can plug in my phone charger right next to my pillow as well as my laptop! The trick is to remember to use a 3 hole (grounded) 3 plug cord.

~NM
Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #66
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Thanks for writing this wonderful trip report!!

I feel your pain about the plug situation in the airport! Here's a tip that always works for me... I carry an extension cord with a 3 plug outlet in my laptop briefcase. I find one of those plugs on the wall in the airport and I politely ask the persons using it if they wouldn't mind sharing the plug using my cord. Now one plug has turned into 3 and I have yet to run into someone who does not see the benefit of that arrangement and let me plug in. Invariably another desperate person comes around and with that third remaining outlet we are both heroes as we save the day and let them plug in as well.

That extension cord doesn't take up much room in the case and I know that I'll always be able to plug in no matter what. People just love this idea so now I will pass it on to you!

I always pack a multi plug, outlet strip with the plugs facing different directions for those block shaped plugs when I travel. However, I usually set up a charging station on the table or dresser so I can keep everything organized in the room and not forget the charging cords that would be plugged in all over the room at the various outlets if I did not have the strip.... That leaves me with the problem of where to plug in the lap top when I am using it on the bed. The cord that comes with the computer never seems to be comfortably long enough to reach the bedside plug. Out comes that 3 pronged cord and my problem is solved! I especially like that I can plug in my phone charger right next to my pillow as well as my laptop! The trick is to remember to use a 3 hole (grounded) 3 plug cord.

~NM
That is an AWESOME idea. Hopefully we won't have such a long layover anytime soon, but you never know (especially if we fly during our winter...)

Still working on Animal Kingdom day. I broke my flash drive with all my pictures (grrr) so I am trying to get it together to copy another one.

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #67
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

NMyou really are the fountain of all knowledge
Brilliant organisational skills
luvpoohandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #68
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Hi Feckless, I've been following your "trip" report. I remember when you posted about your black eye on the BC thread, but seeing the actual pictures is just - wow! I can understand why you didn't want to go to the hospital. What would have been different if you had gone? What would they have done for you?

The kids looked like they had a great time. We have taken a few vacations with family friends who had kids our age and they were always lots of fun. I think your kids were very lucky.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #69
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

LOL. Love his solution. You should have worn it. It was the perfect place for it.
A free colonoscopy. ROTF. I have yet to get to either water park.
Love Coral Reef. Nice she moved you; I would have given her a little tip though she might not be able to accept it. Love the lobster pasta there.
Fun night at Epcot.
Great update and pics.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #70
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

New reader here and oh my goodness you poor thing!! When I read you'd had an accident with a patio door I thought you'd walked into it, which I've done before but you definitely did it in style. It's definitely a trip you'll always remember and thankfully you were incredibly lucky to just get a black eye!

Your water park day sounds lovely with the cabana
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #71
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Hi Feckless! Joining in. I remember about our fall from the BC thread. OM goodness. I like the eyepatch idea!!

And they Grey Goose Slushie Yum!! I have to get one this April!

Can't wait to hear more!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #72
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #73
Feckless
DIS Veteran

DAY SIX, Part 1: Animal Kingdom Day!

DAY SIX: ANIMAL KINGDOM DAY

Eye was looking worse but feeling better:

I was keeping up with my denial, and choosing to ignore it. However, at this point, I was getting sick of wearing my sunglasses all the time, especially inside at dinner! It would be nice to see my food once in a while. LOL

As expected, we had a slow morning getting going because of the late night. We still tried to get on the go early in order to make the most out of the day, but the kids were exhausted, so unfortunately we didn't get out to the bus stop to Animal Kingdom until about 10 a.m.. On the positive side (for me anyway), the Nescafe machine was up and working again, so I enjoyed my morning “latte”. The bus arrived almost as soon as we got there, and so before we knew it, we were in the boiling heat looking at this:

First, we stopped and picked up this awesome drawstring bag for all the miscellaneous crap we seemed to be accumulating. I always liked the gift shop at the front of AK.

Despite our best efforts with sunblock, the kids got too much sun the day before at Blizzard Beach. Their sunburn made sunblock application difficult, and as I knew that AK was going to be super hot, I knew this would be a difficult part of the day. Add in the exhaustion, and we had some extra magic unhappiness once we got to the park. When we got there, the girls were looking for some aloe vera for their burned cheeks, so we went to the care station. They gave us some, but unfortunately, both girls said that it burned and made them feel worse. Then DS said that his feet were blistered, and there was more unhappiness over that. Got DS’s feet bandaged up, and the girls’ discomfort passed over. We really weren’t on the go to enjoy the park until close to 11 a.m. with all the drama. Where we were close, we decided to hit “It’s Tough to be a Bug” first and enjoy the AC to try to lighten everyone’s mood.

There was no wait even though it was early in the day, which was great. I had a seat with no “stinger” unfortunately, but still loved the show. I don’t understand the intense hatred for this show - we always enjoy it.

Next, we headed for Kali River Rapids with our first FP+. Had a great ride, except DS complained again about not getting wet enough! These are problems that we don’t have on the Universal water rides. LOL. First World Problems indeed - gave him a good ribbing over that complaint! He found the water showers in the building nearby, and got himself nice and soaked. First World Problem solved! The ride plus the AC in the Tough to be a Bug attraction made everyone much happier, and we went on with the day without a hitch (and without whining - score!)

After Kali, we leisurely headed to the Safaris with our second FP+. Stopped in Africa to enjoy the band…

The Safaris is always the highlight of AK. DS still misses the poacher story line! Didn’t take a million pictures this time - decided to enjoy it without looking through the viewfinder. It was lovely, but hot!

We hung out in the shops in Africa afterwards - DD bought a gorgeous AK dress, and DS bought a shark tooth necklace. I love that shop as well. 

Next, we were heading here with our last FP+:

On the way, we hung out with the monkeys. The baby was SO cute.

We had SO much fun on this ride - girls waited for the front row as usual! No go for the other son, but the rest of us rode and he waited in the gift shop.

We also ended up here:

My kids love Primeval Whirl. All the kids rode twice (and I count myself in as one of the kids!!)

Next up was Dinosaur.

We didn’t have a FP, and the line was super long. After a while, the other mom and dad and DS decided to bail and hit the Nemo show. Since I had never seen it, I tagged along with them, leaving my DH with our kids and the other DD. When they finally rode, their car got stuck for about a half hour or more. They ended up making friends with the New Yorkers in the car, and we saw them over and over throughout the day. Whenever we saw them, we all yelled, “DINOSAUR BUDDIES!!” It was pretty sweet, actually. The four of riders were given anytime FP for this attraction to make up for it. In the meantime, we got decent seats!

Check out that shiner!

I didn’t mind the show, but I don’t feel the urge to go again. Because of the long wait and the breakdown of the ride, the other four were finished with Dinosaur at around the same time as we finished the show. We met up in the throng outside the show, and continued our day together...

Second part of the day coming up in the next post...

Last edited by Feckless; 04-01-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #74
Feckless
DIS Veteran

DAY SIX, Part 2: Animal Kingdom

After the Nemo Show, we checked the wait time for EE, and it was about 30 minutes, so we decided to give it another go. It’s always nice to check out the theming in the actual queue, since we usually don't go on this ride without FPs.

And drive everyone nuts with the bell.

I had forgotten my PP+ again today (duh) so I did redneck ride photos, hoping that CL staff could help me later.

And they did! We ended up with this absolutely EPIC PP picture (DS and I decided to wait for front row):

After this, I took the three brave monsters for the Dinosaur FP ride while the other three parents hit the bar outside Tusker House (and the other DS hung out with them). This picture didn't end up on our PP, so all I have was the redneck photo!

On the way back, we stopped here again…

Well shaken, we headed for supper at Tusker House. It was delicious, and we were pretty exhausted and hungry. I much prefer Boma, however! Definitely will not miss a Boma dinner next trip. After dinner, the three thrill seekers wanted to head back to EE, but it was closed due to weather - it was POURING rain, no sign of it letting up.

The girls were disappointed, but I took them to get some henna tattoos so they felt better. LOL. The other DD got a Deathly Hallows tatt (surprised that they would do that one! LOL.)

DD's tattoo while drying:

Finished product:

Unfortunately, it was still raining, and even outside of the rain it was too humid for it to dry. LOL It smudged a bit, but it still looked cool. The woman who did the tattoos was amazing - so helpful! She was really patient, and didn’t overcharge…

Headed for the bus (covering tattoos from the rain!) and didn’t have long to wait. Once I got back to the YC, I asked about the PP+ ride photos I missed. CL staff told me that I could hit the PP desk in the BC lobby. Since I took the redneck photos that showed the numbers he said he could get them for me, and even tried to get the SM one from a few days earlier (but that one never turned up - oh well!) The CM was helpful and pleasant.

When we got back to the YC, we got a drink and then headed down for a late night swim and soak in the hot tub. It was nice to not have an evening ADR outside the park so that we could enjoy SAB at night. I brought down a drink in my refillable mug, which worked out great. After a long soak, I felt wonderful and refreshed.

So, tonight I decided to ditch the dark glasses, and, like the celebrity I think I am, (LOL) as soon as the glasses came off I got recognized. I had been posting on the YC/BC thread on the Resort Board and people reading there heard about my mishap. I was in the hot tub with the other mom for only a few seconds, and a woman came in and said, “Are you Feckless”? (user name Babalooagain) I thought the other mom was going to die, especially when she started talking about the surprise and other things about the trip. It was also funny to hear me referred to in that way, since she knew the original, late lamented fat cat named Feckless! LOL. If that wasn’t enough, when Babalooagain and her family got out of the hot tub, another crew got in and the woman said, “Are you Feckless?” (user name Dolewhipmom) It was hilarious. And clear that the internet is not such a big place. LOL

Next day, the dads were going golfing in the morning and other mom and I had plans to hit Hollywood Studios with the four kids. All hands were excited for the next day!!!!!

Last edited by Feckless; 04-01-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #75
BOG Obsessed
Foodie & Disney Lover= Pure Bliss

I just stumbled on your TR and reading along on your adventures.
A surprise trip to Disney for the kids, best parents in the world!
From one Canadian to another... keep up the great trip report.
BOG Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: