Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #31
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #32
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Sorry to leave you all hanging!!! Posting my actual "trip" report next.

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Feckless is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #33
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
Thanks all! That was the long and boring entry. LOL. Injury one coming up! Still cringing at the thought of posting the picture of my bumpy head. Makes me feel SO STUPID...
There but for the grace of God go us.... We've all been there so don't even think twice about it!

~NM
Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #34
Feckless
DIS Veteran

CALAMITY! The “Trip” Part of this “Trip Report”

CALAMITY! The “Trip” Part of this “Trip Report”

WARNING! TRIP HAZARD AHEAD…

At about 5:30 p.m., we got the youngsters out of the pool, and we all headed back to the room to clean up for supper and unpack. DD got first chance at the shower since she takes the longest. While she was in the shower, I grabbed her swimsuit and brought it out on the balcony to dry out. Hilarious, I know - nothing can dry outside in August in Florida, but I had forgotten that! I stayed a few minutes to enjoy the lovely view… On my way in, I slid the balcony door over to come back in the room. I couldn’t see where the opening of the heavy curtain was as it was completely closed. In my brilliance, I thought I would step into the room, which would push the curtain out so I could find the opening. What I didn’t know is that DH had opened his suitcase right in front of the balcony door in the few minutes I was out there. I stepped right on the open (hard) suitcase, completely lost my balance, and fell forward heavily into the desk right next to the door. I struck my left temple first on the corner of the table, then the centre of my forehead on the front of the table, then my cheek on the chair as I went down. Also, I fell heavily on my knee that was the most damaged (see above!) There were two saving graces: the corners of the table were completely rounded, and as well the heavy curtain was between me and the table so it provided some cushioning. Of course, if it wasn’t for the bloody curtain, I wouldn’t have fallen in the first place!

My DH and DS saw the fall happen and helped me to bed. DH ran and got ice, and tried his best to convince me to go to the hospital. However, I did not feel nauseated, and although I could feel some knots forming, I didn’t have a terrible headache. I didn’t lose consciousness. My knee actually hurt more than my head at first! DH got three bags of ice so I covered myself in ice. I guess I should share a couple of pics, even though I am horribly embarrassed about how TOTALLY STUPID I was to not immediately go to the hospital.

I continued to flatly refuse to go to the hospital, and I think my family was happy that I didn’t think it was serious since I scared the crap out of everyone. I wasn’t thinking about a brain bleed, just a concussion and I didn’t have any symptoms of that. I now know that many people who die of these kinds of injuries don’t have serious symptoms (like Natasha Richardson, and Michael Schumacher more recently). DH, try as he must, could not get me to go because I didn’t feel too bad. I did have a little pity party, but mostly because I was afraid that I had jarred my neck, back and knee and feared that I would be in pain for our Magic Kingdom day the next day. I was just in denial, and didn’t want to be injured, so I just made up my mind that I wasn’t. I would not recommend this. LOL After about a half hour resting with ice, I got a shower and did my hair to cover my injured head, and went out to the lounge to meet our friends.

Although I strongly preferred the sliding balcony doors at the YC, in my case, a regular door like the ones at the BC would probably have saved me this injury! LOL

To jump ahead in the story, upon our return home I went to my doctor. Even weeks later there was still a serious bump - a bone bruise. I had a CAT scan, and although there was that injury there, no permanent damage. My doctor told me that the injury was in a very dangerous spot right over a major brain artery, and luckily I didn’t damage the artery. I asked how she knew I didn’t damage it, and she told me, “Because you’re still alive.” AWESOME. Please learn from my absolutely BAD choice and stupidity and if you hit your head to this extreme, please seek immediate medical attention. PLEASE do not be as stupid as I was!

After a drink in the lounge with our friends, a review of the MK map and making of a mutual plan of attack for the next day, along with a debrief (with me continuing to say I was OK and continuing to refuse to go to the hospital) we walked over to Epcot. The kids wanted to show the other family the shortcut through the BC so we went that way. We were sad not to see the fish lamp that was there the year before, as the kids were telling the other kids that we would know we were going the right way when we saw the fishes. The smell of the BC lobby is one of my favourite things so I tried to go this way whenever possible. LOL It was such a delight to walk in to Epcot and head to Italy! I didn’t feel too bad, but I was a bit off my game to be sure.

We left in plenty of time, and walked the long way around so that we could ride Maelstrom on the way, which is what we did last year as well.

The line was long, but it moved fast. The DS from the other family is a nervous rider, but he did great. We didn’t stay for the movie! I will one day! We did pause in the gift shop…

Next we stopped in Germany for the boys to look at the train - both DS’s love trains of all kinds.

Soon we were in Italy. The kids were so excited to be in Epcot with their best friends, they were almost dancing around. We checked in at Via Napoli on time, and joined several other families who were waiting in the porch area.

The kids played around outside while we were waiting for a table.

We had about a 15 minute wait before we were shown to our table, which was big and round in the long room to the side. It was very roomy and comfortable around the table. I didn’t find the décor to be that nice, and the waiter was very pleasant, but there were many miscommunications, to the point that the dad from the other family was getting a bit frustrated. There was another large party seated behind us, and other people in this long room, and it was extremely loud. The other patrons also had a pizza slip off a serving plate when it was being delivered, and they were NOT happy about waiting for another one! I don’t know if striking my head had anything to do with it, but it seemed like the room was very loud and echoing. Not my favourite venue. The food did make up for it, though!

The girls had the Quattro Formaggi and the boys the pepperoni pizza, and all hands enjoyed it. It took a fairly long time for everything to arrive, and the DS from the other family was exhausted, and started to fall asleep at the table. Our DS was also getting verrrrrrry sleepy. I think both boys actually almost went to sleep at the table during every single evening meal, so this was a bit of a preview! We had a nice bottle of wine, and I had the Capriciossa, which had eggplant, artichokes, prosciutto, and mushrooms. It was delicious. I was feeling a bit odd, sort of off kilter, but I sucked it up and we had a nice night despite the fact that my neck, back and knee were really starting to hurt as well.

When we finally left the restaurant and started to walk back, Illuminations was starting. The boys were exhausted, and were desperate to get back and go to bed. However, they were troopers and agreed to stop for a bit, so we stopped and watched the show. Could not resist… The boys managed to make it back, somehow, and everyone collapsed into the comfortable, roomy YC beds. Ahhhhh… Plans were made for an early morning so that we could hit rope drop at MK the next morning, and we had a game plan. So exciting! And so nice to be traveling with such good friends that also were early risers.

Next up: Magic Kingdom Day!

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #35
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Long waits in airports are the worst.
The ME luggage perk is one of the best things. Makes it so easy.
I thought they stopped online check in at a certain time. I could be way off on that.
Love POP but not so much the food court anymore. We walk across the bridge to AofA for much better food.
I never check out of hotels. Are you supposed to? I just leave and sometimes leave the card key on the dresser or at Disney just leave. LOL
The surprise looked great.
Pretty room.
The drink looks so good.
OUCH! I would have been screaming at him for putting the bag there. LOL
Always go to the doctor to have a checkup after a fall. Glad you are alright.
Never eaten there but it sounds good.
Great updates and pics.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #36
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

that's a very nasty accident you had, glad you recovered enough to continue with your vacation.

You struck lucky with your room view, it's gorgeous.

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
ClareH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #37
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Well, those were a couple of interesting updates!

You know, I think one of the main reasons the Florida heat is so brutal is the differential between the overly air conditioned buildings and the outside world. If the indoor spaces weren't kept quite so cold, it would feel better going out.

What a pain at the POP food court. What should have been a magical experience- getting Mickey Waffles- was not.

for arriving at the Yacht Club and for a spectacular surprise for your kids' friends!!! It sounds like things worked out perfectly with your rooms- connecting and with a gorgeous view!

(PS- I am going to add your photos/description to the room view thread, unless you want to. Do you happen to know your friend's room number? 5150 or 5154?)

for the first appearance of the Sunken Treasure!

What a great graphic for your Calamity chapter!

So sorry about your fall. That was some scary news from your doctor!

Thanks for sharing the warning you gave about visiting the hospital if there is even a question. I followed another trip report of a family who stayed at the YC. The husband had a heart attack while there, but didn't know it until visiting his doctor after they returned home.

Now, I think that you can also have a doctor come and visit you a Disney resort for an evaluation. That could be another care option to consider.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #38
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

OH HOLY HEAVENS-when you said you'd bumped your head I was not expecting it to be a double (more like triple) dunter You poor woman! Mind your husband is a lucky guy because I'd likely have taken the head off him for leaving the bag there poor guy. I'm sure he felt awful

Love the surprise video -the kids look soooo happy to see eachother
Your room view is gorgeous and well the sunken treasure just speaks for itself Would love to be there at SAB now
luvpoohandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #39
Pinkgirl
DIS Veteran

OMG. The size of that bump on your head!! You soooo played that down in your
live posts when it happened. I think very many of us would have been ringing the doctor for you if we had known how bad it really was!,
Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #40
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Dee, feel free to use my room views! Sorry my pictures were sucky. LOL The adjoining room was 5150 (We called it the "Van Halen" room while we were there... Isn't that also the lingo for an involuntary psychiatric hold in the US???? I watch a lot of TV. ) It was just down the hall from the lounge. Absolutely perfect location. I didn't get any pictures of their room or view - my friends already think I'm mental I'm sure.

I know, I know, the pictures were scary... I think part of the reluctance may have come from the whole medical insurance thing and the uncertainty of it all, even though we had full coverage for our trip through DH's work insurance. It just seemed like a pain! LOL If I had known that a doctor could have come to the resort I might have done that. I hope that someone else can learn from my bad choices that night. It worked out OK, but it could have been terrible.

And DH felt SO BAD that I didn't need to get mad at him! He was beside himself.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #41
Amberleefuta
Mouseketeer

The psych hold in the us is 72 hour hold.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Amberleefuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #42
Rainandlattes
Earning My Ears

Oh my gosh! I actually gasped out loud when I saw your lump!!! WOW! Someone sure was looking out for you that day. I'm glad you were alright.
Rainandlattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #43
Feckless
DIS Veteran

OK so I had to look it up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_%2...iatric_hold%29

Also the name of the Van Halen album with "Why Can't This Be Love?" on it. I'm NOT a fan, just worked in a record store for years. LOL

Old 01-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #44
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Just caught up on your "trip" update - Yikkies!!!

Those bumps look so painful, but I totally get why you went into denial. I think it is what we naturally do when we feel an important vacation may be compromised for our one medical condition. In retrospect you should have skipped via Napoli for a visit to a doctor (but I would have done exactly what you did!

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
JanetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #45
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Day three: Heading to my happy place!

DAY THREE: Heading to my Happy Place - MAGIC KINGDOM DAY!

The next morning, I woke up to my DS getting ready - he and the other DS were up and heading for the lounge. The DDs were harder to get out of bed but they were excited, so we managed. I was stiff and sore all over, and still had a headache, but I hit the Advil and continued to suck it up - we were heading to the MK! All hands were super impressed with the lounge, and I got my usual Nescafe latte. Soon we were heading for the bus stop. We only waited about 5 minutes for the MK bus, and then we were on our way. We discovered the next advantage to the YC - the buses start here, so we were always first on and never had a problem getting seats. We were hoping to make rope drop, but we arrived just after, which for 8 people, including two soon-to-be-teenage girls, was pretty awesome.

It was a gorgeous morning, and the crowds were not bad at all. I managed to take a few pictures walking in.

My favourite place!

The scourge of picture taking started to raise its head, being that the two DDs would make faces every time a camera was pointed their way.

Managed to get one pic of DD…

Of course, DS was his normal goofy self.

Our first FP+ reservation was for Under the Sea at 10 - 11, so we had some time and we had agreed to head straight to Fantasyland, as we had FPs for the three mountains for later in the day. First up was Peter Pan’s Flight, which I love, as does the mom of the other family. This early in the day, it was straight walk on.

Next, we headed over to IASW.

DS and I had a laugh, and pretended it was a horror attraction, as he had read the Disney after Dark book where the dolls are evil and come to life. LOL I love IASW, so I was a happy person. Last year I rode it alone. This year it was MUCH less pathetic.

No line at all.

The girls got their first look at the "no dancing" sign, and vowed to recreate this wherever possible!

After this, we headed over the Under the Sea for our first try of the MB FP+ reservations. I was a bit nervous, since the CL staff set up all the other family’s FPs and they did not seem completely confident about them. When we walked past BOG, there were people already lining up to eat there for lunch. We were pretty excited to have our BOG FPs when we saw that! I was excited to see the construction of the Mine ride, and to get close to the Beast’s castle which we had seen in the distance behind the walls during our last trip. The Mine ride has come a long way since then based on the pictures…

We used the FP+ cards during the test phase last year, so we had an idea what it was like. The MBs worked for everyone perfectly, which was awesome. That glowing green Mickey head was a happy sight!

I really enjoyed the animatronics and the theming in Under the Sea - Ursula in particular was incredibly done. My head was swiveling around to take everything in… I did think the clam shells were very similar to the Nemo ride though.

After this ride, we headed over to Goofy’s Barnstormer.

This ride is a favourite of the other family's DS, so he was pretty excited. We had fun, but it was so short! I had forgotten… I also found it pretty rough, maybe because I was still a bit shaken up. I can’t imagine waiting in a long line for that short ride! As soon as we finished, my kids started telling the other DS that if he liked that one, he should have NO problems with Space Mountain. The other DS is not a thrill ride kiddo, and his mom always sits out the big rides with him. However, with my “encouragement” (harassment) she was willing to try on this trip and we were all trying to encourage other DS to try new things.

After this, we headed towards Tomorrowland in anticipation of our Space FPs. We had some time, so the other family wanted to hit the Speedway. We hate the Speedway as does the other DD, so I took the three kids to the teacups while DH hit the bathroom. I skipped this ride as I have a tendency to get motion sick and my head was still scrambled and didn’t need more scrambing. The three kids had a blast!

They spun it at fast as possible!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzpjzQ7KoIw

Now it was time for our Space Mountain FPs. I can’t tell you how much knowing that we already had all the big rides covered, and also not having to trek back and forth across the park to collect FPs for later, made the day more relaxing and enjoyable. The kids were continuing to encourage the other DS to ride this one. We really thought if he tried it, he would love it, since this is often the case with this kid about other things. No problems again with the FP+… The girls had worked out how to ride in the front by this time, and waited to make sure they could get their spots. I was sitting in front of the other DS, and as soon as we started out, he seemed like he was having a good time, but that quickly turned into howling in terror! Oops! I felt so badly for him! When we got off, he turned, planted his feet with his hands in fists by his side, and yelled, “That was NOTHING like Goofy’s Barnstormer!” So, no more thrill rides for him. LOL Here’s my redneck ride photo (since I hadn’t activated my PP+ yet):

My kids love the gift shop and Space, so we made a point to stop and shop. DS made himself a light saber and sent it back to the room. Happiness!

Got to pose in the Jedi robe…

At this point, the knots in my head had gone down, and I was left with a purple line next to my eye, like a line of plum coloured eye-liner. Not bad enough to wear sunglasses though. I decided that I would take an injury selfie every day. Little did I know how bad it would get!

Next, we got some popcorn, ice cream and drinks and headed for the Peoplemover. Unfortunately, no food allowed! We munched down our snacks and went on one of my favourites… LOVE the views!

Coming up: The rest of our day at the Magic Kingdom, including our BOG lunch, and our dinner at the Yachtsman!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: