Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
esquared221
Mouseketeer

I've got a dream...of a Disney trip where I don't get sick! **May 2-11, 2014**

Welcome to my first ever trip report (I think)!

First things first: Introductions!

Hubs (D) and I (E) live in New Hampshire with our 2 children and 2 cats (one of which is being as big a pain in the butt as possible as I'm trying to type). I'm lucky enough to be a stay-at-home mom having left behind my soul sucking 9 to 5 cubical job 2 years ago to raise my kids myself. Hubs works full time to bring home the bacon

DD7 (A) is a precocious and often reserved child who despite having a very vivid imagination takes everything very literally.

DSalmost 3 (J) is a sweet, sensitive and active boy who likes to live fast and play rough.

We are self-described Disney Freaks and have been traveling to WDW approximately every 1.5 to 2 years since our 1 year wedding anniversary. I have done WDW pregnant TWICE and both kids have been before their 2nd birthday

After taking DD the first time when she was only 23 months I vowed I would never again take such a big vacation with a 2 year old. Despite this, DH convinced me to squeeze in one last trip when DS would be free and since he is generally more easy going than his sister was at the same age I agreed. The trip was planned for May 2nd through the 11th, just a week or so before J's 3rd birthday. We planned for 7 days in WDW and 2 days at Universal. This did not include an off day which we normally plan for and so obviously need
WDW-POP Century, Bonnet Creek 10/12
WDL- 11/13
WDW, US- Wilderness Lodge Villas and Leows Royal Pacific 5/14

My TR: I've got a dream... of a Disney trip where I dont get sick! *May 2-11 2014*
esquared221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
esquared221
Mouseketeer

Day 1: Travel

Fly from Boston to Orlando with a layover in Atlanta. Arrive around 6pm and continue to our resort Wilderness Lodge Villas.

We flew out of Logan Airport in Boston MA and just like the city in which it resides that airport is a pain in the neck to navigate and it set up nonsensically. Once we walked the labyrinthine distance from security to our gate (seemingly on the other side of the city) we set up shop with the littles. I stayed at the gate with DS and Hubs and DD went all the way back to where the food was to grab us some lunch. Let me add that had we known that our gate wasn't located anywhere near the food stalls we would have stopped and grabbed lunch on our way through the first time. Of course while he was gone they started announcing boarding 20 minutes early so I call DH in a panic and he barely made it back in time for us to inhale our lunch and get on the plane where the kids finished theirs. Panic attacks aside, we were on our way!

Blurry pic but the feeling comes across!

We arrived in Orlando around 6 and I waited with DD to get our luggage while Hubs took DS to get the rental car. I was so proud of my girl She really was a very big help. I think with her we have hit the age where she can start to help reduce stress rather than being the cause of it!

Hubs had made us dinner reservations at Whispering Canyon for 7:15pm to which we were woefully late. Despite our best efforts we were not able to get out of the airport and to our resort fast enough. I wanted to call the venue to let them know we were on our way and to make sure that we would still be allowed a table but the only phone numbers I found were for the general Disney Dining service line. I was on hold almost the whole ride and although the man I spoke with was very nice and completely understanding he wasn't able to do much for us. We arrived about 40 minutes late () and then had to wait another 30 to 40 minutes for a table. When we finally sat down it was close to 9pm. Our kids are awesome sleepers and usually go to bed right at 8pm but somehow managed to stay awake for what turned out to be a very entertaining dinner. For those who have not had the pleasure of eating here, there are no ketchup bottles on the tables so when you need some you yell "I NEED KETCHUP!!" and everyone with a ketchup runs it to your table. Imagine the surprise of the family next to us when about 20 bottles of ketchup were delivered via giggling 8-10 year old boys throughout the restaurant! Ketchup fiasco + glass of wine= lightened mood!

After dinner we made our way to our room where we thought we'd usher everyone right to bed. Yeah, right DS is still in a crib at home (he's just never tried to get out and we're milking it as long as possible!) but on this trip he was going to be sharing the pull out sofa with DD who was very worried about being harassed all night. DD passed out almost immediately and eventually we got DS to calm down and fall asleep...around 11pm!! Eek!
WDL- 11/13

My TR: I've got a dream... of a Disney trip where I dont get sick! *May 2-11 2014*
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

joining! Can definitely identify a bit as we have done Disney twice with my wife pregnant (I think she knows where every bathroom is ). We are going in August with a 2 year old boy (who is very much a two year old boy) so interested to see how things went!

Airport layouts are never fun and making the time to get food, etc. just always takes more effort than it should. Plus I think somewhere it is written that I must fly out or or into the gate furthest away.

Though later than you wanted, dinner sounds fun. Actually, "Ketchup fiasco + glass of wine= lightened mood!" would have made for a good trip report title

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
esquared221
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
joining! Can definitely identify a bit as we have done Disney twice with my wife pregnant (I think she knows where every bathroom is ). We are going in August with a 2 year old boy (who is very much a two year old boy) so interested to see how things went!
Yay! Welcome I will most def be talking about the pains, er...joys, I mean of traveling with a 2 year old

Quote:
Airport layouts are never fun and making the time to get food, etc. just always takes more effort than it should. Plus I think somewhere it is written that I must fly out or or into the gate furthest away.
We usually fly out of the much smaller but more intelligently laid out Manchester Airport (in NH) so Logan was def a change!

Quote:
Though later than you wanted, dinner sounds fun. Actually, "Ketchup fiasco + glass of wine= lightened mood!" would have made for a good trip report title
Lol, you're so right!
WDL- 11/13

Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
esquared221
Mouseketeer

Day 2: We're on VACATION!!

On our first full day we planned to go to Animal Kingdom and this decision was based on crowd charts. We'd known since before we left that this day had been forecasted to be rainy so we picked up some >$2 ponchos from Target before we left and prepared to get wet!

We had breakfast at the counter service style restaurant at the resort (Roaring Fork) and found it to be busy and crowded on such a rainy morning but the food was good and quick and did the trick. Hubs and I are sort of coffee snobs and don't often like the coffee served in hotels and restaurants like this so we were pleasantly surprised to find it very good. A good cup of coffee in the AM is essential to a smooth start to our day!

We headed out to AK and straight for Kilimanjaro Safari. Turns out rainy mornings are some of the best times to go on the safari! The animals love the rain and were out and easy to see. The giraffes were super close to the truck and we even got to see the cheetahs (which are usually hiding and sleeping- we've only seen them from very far away)!!

After our safari we headed to Rafiki's Planet Watch via the train and got to touch an alligator, watch a snake get a check up by the veterinary team and check out the goofy goats in the petting zoo area. Luckily the rain stopped around then and the kids and I went back to the Pangani Trail while Hubs rode Everest. There's a little fish pond that I unintentionally started the tradition of taking the kid's pictures in front of several trips ago and I wasn't about to start now.

DD back in 2009

DD back in 2011 (just before DS was born)

DD and DS in 2012

DD and DS current trip!

We met up at Flame Tree BBQ for lunch which is a favorite for us although admittedly this time it wasn't that good. After lunch we had our first Meet & Greet with Mickey and Minnie and then it's off to the Bone Yard! DS and I dig and play while DD goes on Dinosaur with Hubs. She was not a fan! Bone Yard is a brilliant solution for families that have a mix of ages. There aren't many rides that the >48 inches set can do but the Bone Yard is a wonderful place to play and explore while the bigger kids enjoy the bigger, faster attractions.

We could tell the rain was on it's way back so we wrapped it up with a trip to one of the many gift shops, a quick family pic with the Tree of Life in the background and high tailed it for the car. We had dinner reservations at Boma which Hubs and I were really excited for. We had been there once on our trip in 2009 and loved it (I was really excited to see if they still had that awesome sweet potato and white potato mash that I loved from last time- they did!). We had an awesome dinner; Hubs and I branched out and tried some of their African dishes while the kids stuck to their tried and true Mac and Cheese The carrot ginger soup was amazing as was the cava cakes. I ordered an agave margarita which was aggressively strong (not to mention expensive) so I only got one. Good thing too, as you'll see...

We headed back to the room and I put on a movie on the giant TV and puttered about doing laundry and prepping for our next day. Hubs took a trip and extensive shopping list to Walmart to stock up on breakfast items and other necessities. I laid down with the kids for a few minutes and suddenly felt very ill. To my surprise I had to rush off to the bathroom where I was sick. Luckily, the kids had fallen asleep so I had some time to myself and I started feeling well enough to move to the bed. Hubs was texting me with questions about milk and I was tossing the proverbial cookies I don't think we've ever had a vacation where one of us doesn't get sick to some degree and this time was no different. As Hubs texted me "Now it's officially a vacation!"
WDL- 11/13

Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Great start!

I'm sorry to hear you started getting sick, I hope it doesn't last!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I am in!! We sound so alike!! I have been to Disney pregnant twice - too and both of our kids have been before 2 as well... We are hoping to have a 3rd and final hopefully soon! Patiently waiting...

I also have a soul sucking cubical job too but my dreams of Disney make it bearable and the fact, that I need the job for now.

Love the pictures in front of the tank.. It is so cool to see how life changes!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Ugh, so sorry you were feeling sick! Hope it didn't last too long

Glad you had a good, if rainy day at AK and your safari sounded great!

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
bhwhiz
Mouseketeer

joining!

'89 - Offsite
'92 - Offsite
'94 - Offsite
'00 - All Star Music
'09 - Pop Century
bhwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

such a great start and then you got sick hope it was short lived and didn't travel the family

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
Villainess
Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Joining in!

Ugh - hate that stomach bug - hopefully it didn't last long and didn't visit the rest of the family too!

Villainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
esquared221
Mouseketeer

Day 3: Hollywood Studios

Our plan for the day was to go to Hollywood Studios (again, based on crowd calendars) and I woke feeling MUCH BETTER! We had breakfast in the room and Hubs went down to fill our souvenir resort cups with hot coffee. Nothing like a hot cup of coffee and a hot shower the morning after having called god on the porcelain telephone

After arriving at HS, the kids and I poked around some shops where we got DD started on a Disney charm bracelet like mine and just HAD to get the tractor from Cars that looked like a storm trooper for DS I think I like the Cars movies as much as DS so I grabbed the Luigi and Guido as R2-D2 and C-3PO. I mean, how could I not? Hubs had run off to ride Rockin' Rollercoaster early before the lines got too long and then we met up at Starring Rolls. We've been there before but man is that place TINY! I was smart enough to leave the stroller outside but even then I felt like we were taking up too much space.

After that we did Toy Story Mania, did the back lot tour for the first time and then got lunch at the ABC Commissary. We were there on May 4th so we checked out the special Star Wars merch and rode Star Tours (I think I was the Rebel Spy!).

Our Darth Cupcake!

Some lunch time silliness!

It was super hot and we're from New Hampshire so we were wilting. We headed back to the resort and hit the pool for a little while. Well, Hubs napped with DS while DD and I hit the pool Once we'd all cooled off in the water we headed back to HS for our dinner reservations at Hollywood and Vine for a special Star Wars dinner! We were greeted by Chip and Dale as Ewoks and the guests of the evening were Darth Goofy, Storm Trooper Donald, Princess Leia Minnie and Jedi Mickey. It was super cute and fun but it took an unusually long time for all the characters to make their rounds. Our waitress went out back and "made a lot of noise" to get them to come to our section (after all, her tables weren't turning over because there was no way we were leaving until we got to meet the characters and get pictures!). Thank goodness she was on top of things!

Of course we forgot our camera when we went to our super awesome dinner full of great opportunities for pictures These pics were taken on Hub's phone.

After that it was late so we headed back to the resort again for bed, which was delayed because DS had actually napped that day and was wound until about 10p! At home he usually takes a short nap in the afternoon, usually when we leave to pick up DD from school and then goes to bed at 8pm but I guess Disney is just too exciting! Hubs and I went to bed listening to the kids giggling in the other room and I'm pretty sure I passed out immediately when they finally went quiet. If there's one thing I've learned from all my trips to WDW with littles is that sometimes it's actually better to toss the usual schedule and just go with the flow
WDL- 11/13

Old 05-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

Joining in! We were there around the same time. Can't wait to catch up on how your trip was!
MeeskaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
esquared221
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
I am in!! We sound so alike!! I have been to Disney pregnant twice - too and both of our kids have been before 2 as well... We are hoping to have a 3rd and final hopefully soon! Patiently waiting...

I also have a soul sucking cubical job too but my dreams of Disney make it bearable and the fact, that I need the job for now.

Love the pictures in front of the tank.. It is so cool to see how life changes!
Lol, I'm the only one of my local friends crazy enough to take my kids while they're so young but there's such a HUGE community of young families here on the Disboards and of course, once you get there it's a stampede of strollers!

The tank pics started out completely unintentional. I took the pic of DD on her first trip and on her second remembered that pic and shot a new one. When we went with DS for the first time I insisted on the pic and this time I actually back tracked in order to get it!
WDL- 11/13

Old 05-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #15
esquared221
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMomma View Post
Joining in! We were there around the same time. Can't wait to catch up on how your trip was!
You were? That's awesome! Such nice weather (minus the rain at the beginning of the week so hopefully you were there for the nicer part!)
WDL- 11/13

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: