Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
Jennifer in MI
DIS Veteran

We saw a satellite being launched last week on the Magic! It was amazing!

Jennifer in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
LILRERE
Mouseketeer

I still can not find the time for the rocket launch. It just says TBA. What time is the "normal" launch time and when do they announce the time? Also for anyone who has gone to KSC how long does it take to tour?
Serenade of the Seas 2007
Independence of the Seas 2009
Majesty of the Seas 2011
Disney Dream Feb 2014

Disney Vacation 2005
Disney Vacation 2011
Mini Disney Vacation 2012
LILRERE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
Sailorgirl32489
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRERE View Post
I still can not find the time for the rocket launch. It just says TBA. What time is the "normal" launch time and when do they announce the time? Also for anyone who has gone to KSC how long does it take to tour?
There is no "normal" time for a rocket launch. It really depends on what is being launched and where they are trying to get it to in orbit as they have to wait for everything to line up and create a launch "window". Since we are continually moving through space the window gives them a range of time that if they launch during they know the trajectories will line up and get them where they need to go.

For launches I recommend using followspaceflight.com. They have a launch schedule link at the top of their page that gets updated as soon as anything is announced. They will also have stories specific to the launch as the date draws closer usually with cool pictures of the payloads being processed and readied for launch.

If you're wondering when they might announce the Feb 22 launch, it's really anybody's guess. It's a SpaceX launch which means it's a private company and it's at their whim to disclose the launch time. They will need to notify the Eastern Range of a launch time at some point, so it won't be too last minute. That being said, it's also not unheard of for them to push out a launch date to a later day due to various issues.

KSC can take a full day depending on the interests of those in the party. To be safe, I'd estimate 6-8 hours to go see everything. The transportation alone to get out the the Saturn V center and back is going to take you about 45 minutes since they load you on a bus and drive you around the complex a little bit before dropping you off to tour the Saturn V. Just make sure you at least go see the new Atlantis exhibit which is located within the main Visitor Complex. They did such an amazing job with the presentation and history of the Shuttle program!

Hope this helps!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I will NEVER forget witnessing the night launch from deck 10 on the Magic in 12/2006. The captain had circled the area during early seating and when DH took the kids up to look around before the show while I finished unpacking, he found that we were still just off the coast of PC. He called down to the room and told me to get up there ASAP. It was magnificent and it was like we had a front row view.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
ytsyts
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRERE View Post
Hi,

This is the link on the launch date and time.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...l#.UtsoZ_ZDkYQ

BTW, thanks everyone for sharing insights and giving suggestions!
Mexican Riviera on Wonder, Nov 2012
Caribbean on Fantasy, Feb 2014
Caribbean on Fantasy, Mar 2014

ytsyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
ytsyts
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
My thoughts: 1) yes, you could see it from the cruise terminal area. Not necessarily totally from the ground, however, since it's a distance away, but you'd see it once it got high enough in the air.

2) I don't know that I'd risk trying to watch the launch at KSC and then hightail it to the port, as launches are quite likely to be delayed or even cancelled. And they don't tell you about it until you figure out the rocket didn't launch (in our experience).

3) Even if it did go off on time, the time it would take you to get from the viewing area at KSC to where your car would be parked, and make it to the rental car place then to the terminal is pretty tight.
Thanks! If we get to see it, it will be a real bonus. Worth the effort of flying 12 time zones.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #22
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

We were fortunate enough to have a rental car co van driver tell us about a launch set to happen the day we boarded the Magic (1/6/14) and dh and I were just outside the Cove Café on the port side and we were able to see the entire thing, from ground through the clouds 'til it was completely gone from view... it was amazing and awe-inspiring... one of our favorite cruise moments!!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #23
ytsyts
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
We were fortunate enough to have a rental car co van driver tell us about a launch set to happen the day we boarded the Magic (1/6/14) and dh and I were just outside the Cove Café on the port side and we were able to see the entire thing, from ground through the clouds 'til it was completely gone from view... it was amazing and awe-inspiring... one of our favorite cruise moments!!
Sounds cool! Hope we'll be as lucky.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #24
LILRERE
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the link!
Majesty of the Seas 2011
Disney Dream Feb 2014

Disney Vacation 2005
Disney Vacation 2011
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #25
LILRERE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorgirl32489 View Post
There is no "normal" time for a rocket launch. It really depends on what is being launched and where they are trying to get it to in orbit as they have to wait for everything to line up and create a launch "window". Since we are continually moving through space the window gives them a range of time that if they launch during they know the trajectories will line up and get them where they need to go.

For launches I recommend using followspaceflight.com. They have a launch schedule link at the top of their page that gets updated as soon as anything is announced. They will also have stories specific to the launch as the date draws closer usually with cool pictures of the payloads being processed and readied for launch.

If you're wondering when they might announce the Feb 22 launch, it's really anybody's guess. It's a SpaceX launch which means it's a private company and it's at their whim to disclose the launch time. They will need to notify the Eastern Range of a launch time at some point, so it won't be too last minute. That being said, it's also not unheard of for them to push out a launch date to a later day due to various issues.

KSC can take a full day depending on the interests of those in the party. To be safe, I'd estimate 6-8 hours to go see everything. The transportation alone to get out the the Saturn V center and back is going to take you about 45 minutes since they load you on a bus and drive you around the complex a little bit before dropping you off to tour the Saturn V. Just make sure you at least go see the new Atlantis exhibit which is located within the main Visitor Complex. They did such an amazing job with the presentation and history of the Shuttle program!

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! It does help!! I am really hoping they do not reschedule my little 6 year son is super excited about seeing a rocket launch so is my 60 year old mom! Thanks again!
Majesty of the Seas 2011
Disney Dream Feb 2014

Disney Vacation 2005
Disney Vacation 2011
Old 02-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #26
wltdzny
Earning My Ears

Looks like they've moved this. (unfortunate for us but that's how it goes.)

Looks like a night launch on the 20th now.
wltdzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #27
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to say that this is a really amazing opportunity for you, and I'm really jealous, and I hope it works out that you can see it from the ship because that is SO COOL.

Also, it's a crime that we have no astronaut or rocket ship smiley on this forum!

Anyway, have a wonderful cruise!

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

We watch the night rocket launches all the time and we're two hours south. You will definitely be able to see it from the terminal/ship.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #29
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Oh, I'm sorry! I posted too soon.

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #30
wltdzny
Earning My Ears

We don't arrive until the 21st. Darn it. Not sure when OP is going to be around. Hopefully they'll have better luck.
wltdzny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: