Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
ytsyts
Earning My Ears

Possible to see Rocket Launch from Cruise Terminal

Hi,

I was checking out the KSC website to plan for a visit and saw that a rocket launch is scheduled on the day of our departure for the cruise. It is scheduled for 22 Feb 2014 1207 pm.

Is it possible to see it from the cruise terminal? And if so, which area?

Or can we make it to watch it in KSC, then return our rental car and still make it to the cruise terminal before 3.30pm?

Thanks!
Mexican Riviera on Wonder, Nov 2012
Caribbean on Fantasy, Feb 2014
Caribbean on Fantasy, Mar 2014

ytsyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsyts View Post
Hi,

I was checking out the KSC website to plan for a visit and saw that a rocket launch is scheduled on the day of our departure for the cruise. It is scheduled for 22 Feb 2014 1207 pm.

Is it possible to see it from the cruise terminal? And if so, which area?

Or can we make it to watch it in KSC, then return our rental car and still make it to the cruise terminal before 3.30pm?

Thanks!
My thoughts: 1) yes, you could see it from the cruise terminal area. Not necessarily totally from the ground, however, since it's a distance away, but you'd see it once it got high enough in the air.

2) I don't know that I'd risk trying to watch the launch at KSC and then hightail it to the port, as launches are quite likely to be delayed or even cancelled. And they don't tell you about it until you figure out the rocket didn't launch (in our experience).

3) Even if it did go off on time, the time it would take you to get from the viewing area at KSC to where your car would be parked, and make it to the rental car place then to the terminal is pretty tight.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
tjb1055
Mouseketeer

Agree with last post. If you can get early port arrival time, you MAY even be on the ship by then. Top deck of the ship would be an ideal spot to watch the launch!
tjb1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
JessieB923
Mouseketeer

Let me start off by saying that I live in the area, and the launches can be seen from a wide viewing area, as it goes straight up. That being said I would not go to KSC to try and view it.Its a distance from port and there is no garentee,usually we don't know its been scrubbed until after its set to launch, You may or may not see it if it does launch. during the day depending on the cloud coverage you may not see a thing only hear it and sometimes you won't hear it at all. The rockets being launched are not "big" by any means, but still cool to watch non the less. Guessing that there are no weather/wind delays and it launches on time you will have a perfect view from the port. it tends to go up and almost over the port. So anywhere outside is perfect.

Jessica John :Alexis : Victoria : Isabella
JessieB923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
jahber
DIS Veteran

Plus, the traffic after a launch is a MESS. You do not want to be sitting in traffic, wishing you were on the ship. Watch it from the ship. It will still be amazing. We are in east Orlando, about 45 minutes from the Cape and my daughter still finds launches fascinating
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Is there a possibility that DCL transfers from the resorts will be affected by the traffic? If so, will they take that into consideration and leave earlier than normal? We're on the Feb 22nd cruise and will be traveling from Pop Century to Port Canaveral.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
carpenta
DIS Veteran

We saw the last Shuttle launch from the Dream a couple years ago in port. It is a direct site line from the stern of the ship. You can see the out buildings and launch pad apparatus. Take binoculars. The view was great and they had it playing on the large movie screen by the pool. It was quite and experience and louder than I expected. Yes the traffic was horrible and our Disney bus from WDW did get caught in traffic. Because it was the last blast off of the Shuttle the traffic was heavier than normal (so I was told) but I would suspect heavier traffic than normal. Have a great cruise.
P.s. They stop all marine traffic in port until after the launch for safety reasons. That meant we left later than schedule.

Last edited by carpenta; 01-17-2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post
Is there a possibility that DCL transfers from the resorts will be affected by the traffic? If so, will they take that into consideration and leave earlier than normal? We're on the Feb 22nd cruise and will be traveling from Pop Century to Port Canaveral.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Busses will depart at the same time, regardless. The earliest they can pick up at the resorts is 11:30ish due to the fact that they are the same busses that bring people from the port to the resorts, and the CMs driving the busses need lunch before continuing on with their day.

It's possible that there may be more traffic, but I don't think it will affect the port arrivals by much (there's a bit of distance between the two - about 25 miles).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your responses. I feel better, especially knowing there is some distance between the port and the launch site. Would be neat to see. I can still vividly remember watching a night shuttle and that was all the way from Orlando and yet it was still very moving!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #10
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

The rocket launches are not anywhere near as crowded as the shuttle launches. Traffic shouldn't be delayed if you are trying to get to the ship. You should have a clear shot to see the rocket launch from the ship. The launch would be from Cape Canaveral not KSC.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
LILRERE
Mouseketeer

Where did you find the time for the launch? We actually have tickets for the KSC on the 22nd (free-thanks to DIS boards) and I have been looking everywhere for a time for that launch I even emailed the space center this week and they said the time would be determined closer to launch date to keep checking their site! If it is at 12 that would be great we were afraid it would be super early and we would miss it!
Serenade of the Seas 2007
Independence of the Seas 2009
Majesty of the Seas 2011
Disney Dream Feb 2014

Disney Vacation 2005
Disney Vacation 2011
Mini Disney Vacation 2012
LILRERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

that's a SpaceX launch from 'space launch complex' 40

the access road to the PC terminals is prime watching area ... the pad is about 10 miles away, just slightly east of north with little in the way ... mostly the view line is over water and marsh

as mentioned today's launches don't get NEARLY the crowds as did the shuttles but there will be a few, especially on the beaches. The deck of a ship in the port gives a GREAT view since you pick up a little height ... but on a clear day anywhere around the port is a good view shortly after the rocket clears the tower.

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Here is a you tube video a shuttle launch from the Disney Dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeOA9er7mQ

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

On our last cruise from PC we could clearly see the buildings at the Kennedy Space Center (most notably the VAB) and the shuttle launch pads. You would definitely be able to see a rocket launch from the ship, and have a pretty good view at that! Captains in the past have notified guests of space shuttle launches, and may do so for rocket launches as well.

FYI - KSC launch schedule can be found here (sort by rocket launches): http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/events.aspx

The next launch will be an Atlas V/TDRS-L at 09:05 on 23 January.
spacecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
meldobbs
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
Here is a you tube video a shuttle launch from the Disney Dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeOA9er7mQ
WOW! This gave me chills!
meldobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: