Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #31
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

People should never be rushed however they could be courteous. I can spend quality time with fellow travelers in a restaurant or outside of a restaurant. I don't have to occupy a table to chat or have a good time, in fact most resorts have nice areas to just sit and relax and those can be perfect for conversation.

Of course, there is also the bar for those who indulge.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #32
katiee37
DIS Veteran

I had breakfast at Ohana on the 11th and I wasn't wowed at all. The food was decent enough and I especially enjoyed the juice, but like many others I was there for the characters and I had to wait an additional full hour after I was finished eating to see all of them since they all were in my section when I was seated but skipped me, assuming I was still getting myself situated, so I wait for the full rotation of them and through three parades around the restaurant (those were cute, though.) I was seated close to 10 a.m. and I was a bit late to my 9:25 a.m. ADR because of half marathon road closures, and I bet I wasn't the only one. But I was overall disappointed with the character interaction and the fact I only saw my server when she brought out my food and check. She never once asked if I wanted more of anything, and I had to rely on other servers to get refills on juice and coffee. I do not plan on returning anytime soon.
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #33
TipsyTraveler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
I disagree 100%! When I go out to dine it is NOT just a function of slamming down a meal as fast as possible and leave. I go there to relax and enjoy the people I'm with. The food is simply part of that experience. If I just wanted the food I'd order our meals to go. I do not enjoy dining at restaurants who choose to rush people through to increase turnover. Not a very enjoyable relaxing dinner and thats what I'm after.
*The use of 'you' in the paragraph below is meant in the collective sense, not you personally.*

I'm not suggesting that anyone should have to choke down their meal as fast as possible and then be booted out the door. Pacing the meal properly is the restaurant's responsibility and giving up your table once you're done is the guests' responsibility. Once you've ordered your drinks, looked over the menu, shared an appetizer, had your first course, eaten your entrée, finished dessert, and had an after-dinner coffee or cocktail, you've had plenty of time to relax and enjoy the people you're with. By closing the check the guest is indicating that they are done with the service. So now it's time to finish your drink, wrap up the conversation, and head for the door in a reasonable amount of time. It's not appropriate to sit for another hour while other guests stand around hungry past their reservation time, unable to be served. It's inconsiderate to the next round of guests who are waiting, to the server who is unable to make tips on the table that is no longer ordering, and to the restaurant that is losing money by not being able to seat guests. Tables are for paying customers and you are no longer paying. None of this is an issue if the restaurant is slow and other tables are available but, when it's busy, I think guests need to be mindful of how they're affecting others.
TipsyTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #34
AJPPGH
Mouseketeer

I personally 100% agree with the OP that this was wrong of these tables-plain and simple. Everyone who goes to WDW these days KNOWS the deal with these restaurants that are hard to get into. I can guarantee that each of you reading this as well as most people who eat in Ohana realize the difficulty of this reservation and that by lingering over a meal you are holding up other diners who are all also on a "WDW vacation schedule" where planning has been done far in advance. Anywhere else I would say that it is inconsiderate but much more understandable for many of the reasons many of you noted..but not at one of the most popular restaurants at one of the most famous vacation destinations in the world.
AJPPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #35
Cassabella
CassThePirate on VMK

I had an 8:30 reservation the other night, the fireworks started at 8. I left the Magic Kingdom at 7:50ish, arrived at the Poly around 8:20. We were told due to the fireworks they were behind schedule, and we were finally seated around 9:20.

We enjoyed the food, but I doubt I will ever return. If so, I would schedule far before the fireworks and then miss a lot of park time. They should be aware that people sitting around during fireworks times delay their schedule, and just make less reservations during that period.This is not a new restaurant, and it's awfully embarrassing to me that Disney can't figure this schedule out.
Cassabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #36
Cassabella
CassThePirate on VMK

Another point in response to AJPPGH - I think I'm in agreement with you. I feel like there's no need to rush through your meal, especially when you have sat around in the lobby half an hour to get a table. You paid for your trip and deserve a nice meal! However, it doesn't mean you should just sit and linger once you are done and paid!! Others deserve a nice time too, and now that you're done eating, you could just relax in the bar/lobby/hotel room/pool.

Another example is last week, when I was at the QS restaurant in Mexico. Mid-January is probably one of the slower times of the year. All tables were full, and as an adult couple, we just stood around hoping for a table to open. We watched tables open, and as we walked toward them, saw them offered to families with kids who arrived way after us (which I don't fault, I agree kids deserve it first). However, there were several tables tied up by one 30-40ish adult on their cell phone. We finally got a table after it slowed down a little and our food was cold, yet by the time we finished, some of those people were still hogging tables.
Cassabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #37
Huff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyTraveler View Post
Pacing the meal properly is the restaurant's responsibility
I feel thats the guests that do the pacing. The restaurant should follow the guests lead and not force the guest to follow the restaurants lead. In other words, there are some restaurants that bring the entree immediately after you've eaten the last bite of the appetizer. Just as you barely finish your entree the dessert is brought. Sometimes they bring the next course before you've finished the previous one. Pacing should be done by the guest.

That said, I'm not suggesting its proper to sit at a table for an hour or two after you're all finished. But I also want to feel I'm not in any way rushed as some restaurants, including Disney do.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #38
AJPPGH
Mouseketeer

absolutely Cassabella! Nobody should ever be rushed through a meal but to sit and linger afterwards when you know there are people (and families with young children, no less) waiting is just bad form. And I totally agree with you about the QS as well. Whenever and wherever a dining situation is 'seat yourself' it is always good manners to vacate your table when you are done eating. I do this anywhere that I am where there is a wait for a table-be it the food court in my local mall or a QS restaurant in the world. I also want to add that singles and couples dining should make an effort to take a 2 top if at all possible.
AJPPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #39
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I think it is very rude to linger for an hour or more after you are done. But look at how many times people ask about watching fireworks from a restaurant and are told just to eat slow and stay at the table. Now I always think about that when I go to make a late night ADR--will I have to wait a long time because of fireworks backlog.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #40
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Servers I know--and I know many--suggest there is a difference between folks having a leisurely meal and what they call "camping out".

As far as Disney goes, they will rarely-if ever-admonish any guest who is having a good time.

Even if that "good time" is at your or my expense.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #41
goofydad621
DIS Veteran

So just my 2 cents

First the qualifier, My parents opened their first restaurant in 1948, so I was raised in the business. Our last establishment sat 400 people and would feed up to 1800 full course meals a day with a mainly American family menu.

I think for people to sit at a counter service restaurant and linger over a table an extra hour would be rude when people are hovering waiting for a place to sit. But for a restaurant that you are paying a premium price for the ambiance and experience and it is the end of what might have been a long park day and it is a place to gather, talk about the day and maybe plan for the next day? Makes perfect sense, I think the only way you can really expect them to move on at a given time is if the restaurant goes by seating times and I am not talking about ADRs but seating times, a 7 o:clock seating, an 8:30 seating etc.

I would deem it rude if another customer gave me dirty looks or started clearing my table. As management I think it would be possible to ask the party that had already paid if there was anything else they needed or if they (the management ) could put some tables together for you in the lounge to continue the celebration.

But if I am paying the price for a sit down meal I do expect to be able to take my time. We are going to O'hana on the last week on Jan to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and I will ask to please so down the service as we will want to enjoy the moment.
Been there done that got the t-shirt and going back
goofydad621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #42
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
It wasn't their fault (I blame the restaurant management) and they weren't inconvenienced. They were all done and just hanging out.
I am not sure you have a right to blame anyone.

You said yourself that the party was booked for 7:30pm.

Why would you think that you were entitled to arrive at 7 and expect it empty?
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #43
fairyprincess88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
DH and I are always amazed at how we can be seated, order, enjoy a great meal/chat etc and be paid up and out well before most of the other tables around us who were ALREADY sitting and eating when we arrived. We don't rush, and we always order dessert and still manage to skedaddle for the next group.

A few years ago, we were ata Benihana type place that we had reserved the "party" section for my cousin's wedding rehearsal dinner. My sister and I showed up at 7pm to decorate and set up for the 7:30 party. We were shocked to find that the restaurant had seated guests in our reserved section! I asked the manager, who snapped at me that basically "too bad...not asking paying guests to get out."

So we waited....and waited...and waited...by 7:20 my sister and I were panicking (the wedding party was about to arrive), so we began cleaning the tables around where the remaining parties were siting. Their were two couples who had paid and were just sipping wine and chatting. We were literally cleaning the table (those long communal ones with the flat top in it) around them while they watched us. We set up centerpieces and place settings, tied balloons to some chairs...one couple finally got the hint and got up and left while the other stared at us quite amused.

The woman of the couple asked us "You guys setting up for a party?" Duh. So I looked at her, looked at my watch and said "Yes...the party starts in 5 minutes when the wedding couple arrives." Then I tied a balloon to her chair. They finally left.
The only way the restaurant would be at fault for this is if you booked the room for 7 PM. If you booked the room for 7:30 then the manager and restaurant was completely right in saying they would not ask paying guests to get out. If you booked the room for 7:30 then it is at 7:30 and not a minute before that you have any right of access to the room. I do event planning for my job and this is something that most establishments abide by. If we need advance time to set up, then that time must be figured into the time we book the room for. So unless you booked the room for 7, then the restaurant was not at fault, nor were the guests at the table. Yes by 7:25 the manager should have asked the guests to move to another spot and had their staff clean that area, but as long as they had that area clear by 7:30 they were in the right.

So if you did book the room for 7 and they still had people and the like in the room, then yep, they were in the wrong entirely. However, if you had the room booked for 7:30 then you showing up a half an hour early to decorate and expecting the room to open and ready for you puts you in the wrong.
fairyprincess88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #44
Kpskyman
Mouseketeer

I see here on the DIS, several threads of people that get annoyed with waiting for a seat at OHana. I simply do not understand what everyone's problem is with waiting a half hour or so. It is a very popular restaurant, that try's to please as many guests as possible. Yes, they could probably seat better If they took say 10 less ADR's a day, but that is 10 less groups that wanted a meal that won't get it. Yes, people stay too long at their seats after they have eaten, but if you are dining near time for Wishes, you have to expect that. Don't ruin your vacation because you had to wait to get seated. How long did you wait to ride TSM ??? Enjoy the time you are there. I have waited at several restaurants, not just Ohana, and it never bothered me. I eat, enjoy my company, and leave when I am ready to leave I have never felt rushed, because I never am.
Kpskyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #45
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpskyman View Post
I see here on the DIS, several threads of people that get annoyed with waiting for a seat at OHana. I simply do not understand what everyone's problem is with waiting a half hour or so. It is a very popular restaurant, that try's to please as many guests as possible. Yes, they could probably seat better If they took say 10 less ADR's a day, but that is 10 less groups that wanted a meal that won't get it. Yes, people stay too long at their seats after they have eaten, but if you are dining near time for Wishes, you have to expect that. Don't ruin your vacation because you had to wait to get seated. How long did you wait to ride TSM ??? Enjoy the time you are there. I have waited at several restaurants, not just Ohana, and it never bothered me. I eat, enjoy my company, and leave when I am ready to leave I have never felt rushed, because I never am.
Waiting an hour past an ADR time is ridiculous. That should not happen. I would absolutely rather them give out less ADRs to account for people taking longer than not know if I'm going to have to wait an hour after arriving to be seated. Especially so now that Disney is charging people who walk away from ADRs before they are seated.

If they are not able to seat a party within a reasonable window after their ADR time they are giving too many out. It's debatable what reasonable is, but I'm willing to bet for most people it's much less than an hour. We don't book Ohana unless it's close to 5 because of how frequently this restaurant has long waits.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: