Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwloverz View Post
They were as inconvenienced by your decorating as you were by them being sat in your party area. How is that the guests fault?
It wasn't their fault (I blame the restaurant management) and they weren't inconvenienced. They were all done and just hanging out.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
evilqueenmindy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Some people go to a restaurant to eat. Others go to dine. They prefer a slow, leisurely meal and enjoy taking time to savour the food, beverages and conversation with their table companions. Of course we would not pay the bill until we were ready to leave. If someone was so ill mannered as to hover behind my chair, or to cast unfriendly looks my way, I would be very inclined to order another bottle of wine...
I buy this for the sig restaurants, but 'Ohana? It's not exactly a place to have a nice leisurely conversation what with the ukulele lady and the coconut races and the parade, etc. I like the food, but I usually can't get out of there fast enough.
evilqueenmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #18
mikepizzo
Earning My Ears

I currently work in a restaurant. While I don't think the guests should have to eat, pay, and leave, I do think they should be aware of a few things. I can only speak for the restaurants I've worked in but typically there is an hour and a half gap between a reservation that is for the use table. If there is a table of 4 sitting at Table A with a 630 reservation, typically there will be a different table of 4 sitting at Table A at 745 or 8. Turn em and burn em. The restaurant I work at is very quick with the food, we can usually get the meal out about 15 minutes after they order, which in my opinion gives me plenty of time to sit, enjoy, and relax. Last night we had a table of two come it at 630pm. They didn't order their meal until 715pm and they left at 10pm. Luckily they were in the corner out of the way so we could work around it.

I think the responsibility falls on both parties. The restaurant should never rush a table, but I do think a table should be cognoscente of what's going on around them. If a table has been there for 2 hours and they see a long wait at the door, its time to leave and let others enjoy a nice meal.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #19
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Even at non Disney restaurants we always try to get out as soon as possible after paying if we know there is a wait. I thought it was just common courtesy to do so.

However, the fault lies with Disney. I find it hard to believe that all the large parties had been sitting there that long past their allotted time. I think the more likely scenario is Disney released too many ADRs hoping the people eating in the restaurant could be rushed out by bringing the food and cheques as quickly as possibly.

If Disney wants to charge people for not being seated whether they show up or not, it is completely unreasonable to have long wait times like some restaurants are notorious for. Decrease the number of ADRs if they have to. They have now turned it into a pay service where you are charged if you don't want to wait, so they should be holding up their end too.

Last edited by morethananyonex; 01-18-2014 at 08:56 AM.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #20
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethananyonex View Post

However, the fault lies with Disney. I find it hard to believe that all the large parties had been sitting there that long past their allotted time. I think the more likely scenario is Disney released too many ADRs hoping the people eating in the restaurant could be rushed out by bringing the food and cheques as quickly as possibly.

If Disney wants to charge people for not being seated whether they show up or not, it is completely unreasonable to have long wait times like some restaurants are notorious for. Decrease the number of ADRs if they have to. They have now turned it into a pay service where you are charged if you don't want to wait, so they should be holding up their end too.
This exactly, well said!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #21
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This is the part I don't understand. I am American and I go to dine. If I want to eat we will go to a counter service place. I was not ever aware that there was an "allotted time" that I had for a meal.

I have an allotted time for:
1 Hour massage
Scheduled meetings with start and stop time (ie 1 to 2 PM)
Training sessions

Simply because they were "given their checks" is not the universal symbol for "You been here too long, you go now".

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
This is the part I don't understand. I am American and I go to dine. If I want to eat we will go to a counter service place. I was not ever aware that there was an "allotted time" that I had for a meal.

I have an allotted time for:
1 Hour massage
Scheduled meetings with start and stop time (ie 1 to 2 PM)
Training sessions

Simply because they were "given their checks" is not the universal symbol for "You been here too long, you go now".

Stacy
You're misunderstanding me. Disney has an allotted time for each party, it allows them to decide how many ADR's they can schedule in a night for different size parties. When these parties exceed the allotted time Disney has budgeted for them, you start running into problems. Over the years it has been very clear they have issues at Ohana with this. They try to rush people through there in order to fit more in, but there are frequently people who just don't leave as quickly as Disney thinks they should.

I am not implying that I think people should be kicked out, but I do think there is fault to be had on both sides, with the majority going to Disney. If you are at a busy restaurant, it is the nice thing to do to leave when you are done instead of lingering. Not required, but nice. However like I said, Disney runs into this issue frequently at certain restaurants, and it's completely unacceptable IMO now that they have started charging people if they walk away. They need to decrease the number of Ohana ADRs if they cannot get people out the door fast enough.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #23
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I thought that if you show for an ADR and decide to leave due to a delay in seating that they do not charge? You met you obligation by showing. The restaurant did not by not seating you in a timely manner, so it is not your fault if you do not eat there.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #24
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post
I thought that if you show for an ADR and decide to leave due to a delay in seating that they do not charge? You met you obligation by showing. The restaurant did not by not seating you in a timely manner, so it is not your fault if you do not eat there.
Interesting, is this an actual policy or on a case by case basis?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #25
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post
Everything I have read has said that if you are not seated you are a no show. I hope that is wrong.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #26
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Some people go to a restaurant to eat. Others go to dine. They prefer a slow, leisurely meal and enjoy taking time to savour the food, beverages and conversation with their table companions. Of course we would not pay the bill until we were ready to leave. If someone was so ill mannered as to hover behind my chair, or to cast unfriendly looks my way, I would be very inclined to order another bottle of wine...

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
Huff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyTraveler View Post
You reserve your time, you pay for and receive the service (movie/meal), and when it's over, you leave.
I disagree 100%! When I go out to dine it is NOT just a function of slamming down a meal as fast as possible and leave. I go there to relax and enjoy the people I'm with. The food is simply part of that experience. If I just wanted the food I'd order our meals to go. I do not enjoy dining at restaurants who choose to rush people through to increase turnover. Not a very enjoyable relaxing dinner and thats what I'm after.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #28
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

We come from England to Disney once every 2 or three years. To be able to afford our holiday we scrimp and save to have our magical time together, which means when at home we do not go out for meals, and I mean ever! So our time together is special. We do not travel thousands of miles and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to feel rushed or made to feel uncomfortable because we want to enjoy our EXTREMELY hard earned time together. Basically you just might of come across a family like us.
Probably the best way round it is to reserve an earlier ADR to safeguard against such and other eventualities.
ChipnDaleRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #29
Runnergal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalj1 View Post
I will admit to having been that inconsiderate table on a few occasions. Its a tough issue though. Both times my party did not realize how long we were there. We were having such a good time chatting that the time just flew by. One manager handled it exceptionally well by asking us to move to the bar area where there was plenty of room and buying a round.
Exactly. This is the way most good restaurants handle it. Everyone is happy.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're misunderstanding me. Disney has an allotted time for each party, it allows them to decide how many ADR's they can schedule in a night for different size parties. When these parties exceed the allotted time Disney has budgeted for them, you start running into problems. Over the years it has been very clear they have issues at Ohana with this. They try to rush people through there in order to fit more in, but there are frequently people who just don't leave as quickly as Disney thinks they should.

I am not implying that I think people should be kicked out, but I do think there is fault to be had on both sides, with the majority going to Disney. If you are at a busy restaurant, it is the nice thing to do to leave when you are done instead of lingering. Not required, but nice. However like I said, Disney runs into this issue frequently at certain restaurants, and it's completely unacceptable IMO now that they have started charging people if they walk away. They need to decrease the number of Ohana ADRs if they cannot get people out the door fast enough.
ON the bolded part - I have to ask if you have received a notice from Disney saying "we have allotted you X amount of time to eat your meal and then we expect you to leave" (or however Disney would put it into their politespeak)?

I was on both sides of the coin on a dinner to celebrate my son's 20th birthday. Both sets of grandparents, his soon-to-be-wife and his new stepdaughter, his parents (my husband and myself) and other members of the family. Very important occasion as the almost wife and daughter met the members of our family for the first time. Son picked out restaurant, had everyone meet and........ we had to wait for our large party to be seated. The people who had finished their meal were having a nice time after the meal. A few grumbles but those people were having a good time and we wanted our time. We waited and were seated about a half hour later.

And with all the talking and laughing and eating, we stayed a lot longer than just an hour. If anyone had said something about leaving, that would have not been a good thing for our very enjoyable evening.

Yes, a special occasion should be celebrated. But it's YOUR special occasion. No one else except you and your party has a clue as to what you are doing. I had no idea what the parties before us were doing but to them, it was special. And I know no one else in the restaurant knew what we were celebrating but it was special to us.

I ask people to think about what could be happening at that table or tables. Is it someone else's special moment? How would you feel if you were celebrating and someone asked you to leave because your time "ran out"? It's a restaurant and the last time I knew, the only place I've eaten with a time limit was my high school cafeteria.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: