Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
brown1442
Mouseketeer

Are we going to like Artist Point??

I keep looking at the menu second guessing myself?!? We want to go see the Wilderness Lodge and don't really want to eat at WCC. My mom wanted to eat at AP because they had halibut which I don't see on the menu any more. What's good??
brown1442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
wezee
Am I cheating on my husband, if I have dreams about Mickey Mouse?

Can't really say what you will like. We have eaten there 3 times and everything has always been very good.

Next Magical Moment: Sept. 2013
March 1995 Off site, Feb 2000 POFQ, March 2006 POFQ (25th Anniv.)March 2007 POFQ, Oct. 2007 POFQ, Sept. 2008 POFQ, Oct. 2009 POFQ, March 2010 POFQ,Sept 2010 POFQ, Feb 2011 POFQ, Oct. 2011 POFQ (30th Anniv.)., POFQ Sept 2012,
wezee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

As the PP said, it's hard for any of us to say whether or not you're going to like AP. Do you normally like the types of food that are on the menu?

I've been to AP twice and both times the food and service was excellent. I highly recommend the smokey Portobello soup and the ceder plank salmon. The berry cobbler is also outstanding.
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown1442 View Post
I keep looking at the menu second guessing myself?!? We want to go see the Wilderness Lodge and don't really want to eat at WCC. My mom wanted to eat at AP because they had halibut which I don't see on the menu any more. What's good??
The menu at AP changes quite a bit, though they generally have a couple of signature dishes in all three courses. For the appetizers, the smoky portobello soup is a standby that has been around for many years and for due cause: it's unctuous and sensuous, a treat for the senses. Beyond that standard bearer, the Penn Cove mussels are comparatively new, but they are fresh and soulful. If you enjoy salad, theirs are very fresh and definitely not run-of-the-mill. For years, the entrees have included their signature cedar plank salmon which is masterfully done and perhaps the dish for which AP is most well known. Additionally, they've always had some sort of buffalo on their menu, and now it is part of a trio of meats. I can't speak to the venison and sausage as I've not had them at AP before, but their buffalo is usually expertly prepared. They suggest medium rare (or no worse than medium), and that's an excellent suggestion as the meat is so lean it will get tough if cooked too long. The buffalo is quite tender and a lovely change of pace from beef. In the past, AP has done a nice job with their game meats, so I would expect that continues with this trio. Further, I've dined with others who have had whatever version of chicken or pork AP offered at the time, and each diner has raved about the dish. Finally, for dessert, the only current dish I recognize is the berry cobbler, and while good, it's not up to the standard of what they used to serve several years ago. That being said, the cobbler is still quite refreshing.

Artist Point's menu not only highlights some Northwestern cuisine, but it has a matching wine list that is one of the best on WDW property. I'd follow the chef's suggestions for wine pairings as they're usually spot on, but if you do want to choose for yourself, there are dozens of topnotch wines from which to choose.

In short, if the menu appeals to you, then I wouldn't give it another thought. Just go. Ask to be seated at a window table (it's worth waiting to get such a seat), and after dinner, go for a stroll around the grounds. It's one of the more romantic and serene resorts at the World. Enjoy!

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

For years, AP was one of those places that I always made ADR's for and ended up cancelling. I wanted to try it but always had the same uncertainty about the menu that you are expressing.

About 2-3 years ago we finally kept our ADR and Oh MY! Really tasty well prepared food, great service... It's one of our favorite spots.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
brown1442
Mouseketeer

I guess it seems a little "out there" perhaps. We aren't picky eaters but I can't say I've ever eaten a quail egg before! I am a little worried about what my 11 year will order when I am not 100% what I would order. He's a great eater but still the menu might be more adventurous then his palate.

We have really enjoyed many of the other Disney signatures. I guess I am a little intimidated by the menu perhaps. This one was my mothers pick (they are meeting us for 2 days of our trip). Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised.
brown1442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
As the PP said, it's hard for any of us to say whether or not you're going to like AP. Do you normally like the types of food that are on the menu?

I've been to AP twice and both times the food and service was excellent. I highly recommend the smokey Portobello soup and the ceder plank salmon. The berry cobbler is also outstanding.
LOVE the Portobello soup!! The cedar plank salmon is very good but if you like your salmon cooked through you need to ask for it that way as sometimes the chef likes to make it rare and I'm not a raw fish eater. When we were there last time Donald was our server (he's great but, not the duck) and he had said it depends on who's cooking but to just ask for it cooked through and it was very good. BTW, Allears still shows the halibut on the menu.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As others have said, it's hard to say whether or not you will like Artist Point as everyone's tastes and opinions are different, but we loved Artist Point. With that said, we had the filet and salmon and both were amazing.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
sleepydog25

Quote:
I guess it seems a little "out there" perhaps. We aren't picky eaters but I can't say I've ever eaten a quail egg before! I am a little worried about what my 11 year will order when I am not 100% what I would order. He's a great eater but still the menu might be more adventurous then his palate.

We have really enjoyed many of the other Disney signatures. I guess I am a little intimidated by the menu perhaps. This one was my mothers pick (they are meeting us for 2 days of our trip). Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised.
jwfla422: The Allears menu for AP may be out of date (July 2013). For when we were there in July, that current listing is correct, but Disney.com offers a slightly different menu (swordfish vice halibut, e.g.), and if you go to wdwinfo.com under dining listings, they have an October 2013 menu which has neither halibut or swordfish but black cod, instead.

OP, don't be intimidated by the menu. Honestly, the food is closer to down-to-earth goodness than high concept, arty cuisine. The chicken still tastes like chicken, and quail eggs tastes like regular eggs, only smaller. The same earthy goodness can be found in the other dishes, as well--the pork loin, the scallops, and the filet dishes are equally sound choices. Nothing in them about which to be leery. As for your 11-year old, he can always order off the kids' menu which actually has very tasty entrees such as the penne pasta or grilled chicken breast. My 13-year old daughter still likes the Mickey puzzle! As you can see by my comment above, the menu changes frequently, although they always have the salmon, some sort of buffalo, chicken, and steak. Rather than focus on a particular dish, however, just figure there will be plenty of good food and wonderful ambience to experience. Relax and enjoy!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #10
purple figment
DIS Veteran

We've gone to the same signature restaurant twice within a two week period and noticed changes in the menu. There are also seasonal changes in the signature menus, especially in the type of fish and the side dishes so you can't depend on any menu online to be totally accurate.

Our dinners at Artist Point have been excellent. I also heartily recommend the Smokey Portobello Mushroom Soup as one of the best soups in DW. The signature dish at AP is the Cedar Plank Salmon and it was delicious. The buffalo was also outstanding, but as a PP mentioned, it is best served rare or medium rare. For dessert we usually order the Berry Cobbler.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Haygar2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
The menu at AP changes quite a bit, though they generally have a couple of signature dishes in all three courses. For the appetizers, the smoky portobello soup is a standby that has been around for many years and for due cause: it's unctuous and sensuous, a treat for the senses. Beyond that standard bearer, the Penn Cove mussels are comparatively new, but they are fresh and soulful. If you enjoy salad, theirs are very fresh and definitely not run-of-the-mill. For years, the entrees have included their signature cedar plank salmon which is masterfully done and perhaps the dish for which AP is most well known. Additionally, they've always had some sort of buffalo on their menu, and now it is part of a trio of meats. I can't speak to the venison and sausage as I've not had them at AP before, but their buffalo is usually expertly prepared. They suggest medium rare (or no worse than medium), and that's an excellent suggestion as the meat is so lean it will get tough if cooked too long. The buffalo is quite tender and a lovely change of pace from beef. In the past, AP has done a nice job with their game meats, so I would expect that continues with this trio. Further, I've dined with others who have had whatever version of chicken or pork AP offered at the time, and each diner has raved about the dish. Finally, for dessert, the only current dish I recognize is the berry cobbler, and while good, it's not up to the standard of what they used to serve several years ago. That being said, the cobbler is still quite refreshing.

Artist Point's menu not only highlights some Northwestern cuisine, but it has a matching wine list that is one of the best on WDW property. I'd follow the chef's suggestions for wine pairings as they're usually spot on, but if you do want to choose for yourself, there are dozens of topnotch wines from which to choose.

In short, if the menu appeals to you, then I wouldn't give it another thought. Just go. Ask to be seated at a window table (it's worth waiting to get such a seat), and after dinner, go for a stroll around the grounds. It's one of the more romantic and serene resorts at the World. Enjoy!
Thank you for your comment. We are planning a trip to AP and you have just solidified my decision.
Haygar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Artist Point is Significantly better than WCC so I would definitely say that is a good option

To say if your going to lie it its hard to tell the food is pretty good and service was very good as well! Atmosphere was a little lacking IMO but still it is a good restaurant Its not in my top 5 but it may crack my top 10

The Portobello Soup and Cobbler are both very good!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
sleepydog25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haygar2 View Post
Thank you for your comment. We are planning a trip to AP and you have just solidified my decision.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. While any restaurant has off nights, including AP, after having dined there a dozen times in the past few years, I can truthfully say they are as consistent in quality as any restaurant I've frequented at the World. Further, as I mentioned, the ambience of AP combined with the warmth of the resort should make this a night to remember. Enjoy!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #14
TipsyTraveler
Mouseketeer

I sat motionless, my eyes welling with tears, staring into the empty abyss of where my Portobello Mushroom Soup had once lapped the edges of the bowl. My eyes darted frantically around the stark-white room to see who might witness my decent into weakness, while inside my soul a battle raged on between my heart's desires and my mind's recollections of all those Miss Manners columns I'd read in my youth. One question nagged at the very fiber of my being: Was it okay to lick the bowl?

........Exaggeration? Not really.
TipsyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:03 AM   #15
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyTraveler View Post
I sat motionless, my eyes welling with tears, staring into the empty abyss of where my Portobello Mushroom Soup had once lapped the edges of the bowl. My eyes darted frantically around the stark-white room to see who might witness my decent into weakness, while inside my soul a battle raged on between my heart's desires and my mind's recollections of all those Miss Manners columns I'd read in my youth. One question nagged at the very fiber of my being: Was it okay to lick the bowl?

........Exaggeration? Not really.
So, So true! Been there, thought that! That portobello soup is actually that good. I also love their mussels though and could easily slop up all the juices with that toasted thing they serve with them. Unfortuanately Miss Manners always wins and I just sit there with a sad look, wishing I was home alone, where I could sop until every delicious drop is gone. Then again I also like their tomato/cheese salad and their cheese plate.

For entrees I've had the salmon twice, but usually order the the buffalo. My husband prefers the buffalo also, but has ordered the filet mignon (and also a ostrich and a pork two ways entree that are no longer on the menu). The pork he wasn't too impressed with, but raved about the ostrich (and we live in an area where ostrich is on some of the menus, so it wasn't like he'd never had the bird before).

We usually go for the berry cobbler, but have had a couple other desserts. The cobbler is not near as big or as good as it was, say five years ago, but is still really good and blows their other desserts out of the water. I've only ever gotten one thing there I didn't like and it was a gelatin type desert with a muskadine sauce over it. It was just plain nasty, bitter, and runny.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: