Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
RicJ
Earning My Ears

Question Where to for Solo Dining experience?

y'know when you are by yourself and just want to apprecaite a nice good meal or take the sights without having to bother with much else... while at WDW where you get that experience?

i've heard here and there (albeit not much) of occasions where people were sitted on tables with other people, strangers or other families due to size of party or number of avaliable tables... and i would imagine just for the nature of the place that certain restaurants might try to nudge some interaction towards lone sitters, which is all fine and well... but when you are not looking for that, what are the recommended places to go?
RicJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

The only restaurants in WDW that have communal seating are both in Epcot. One is Teppan Edo and the other is Biergarten. At any other restaurant a single person would be seated at a 2 top table. By themselves.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

I haven't heard of a single diner being seated with other guests except at Biergarten and Teppan Edo. Remember that when you reserve a table for one it's usually a two top table, so it's no different seating than two people would have. Most people are involved in their own meal and company and won't pay attention to you. Sometimes a perky waitperson will take a moment to chat. If you want to be left alone, here's what I suggest. When the waitperson comes over, introduces themself, and asks how you are, reply that you are looking forward to a quiet, undisturbed meal. They will probably get the hint.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Isn't the tables in the one Mexican spot a shared dining experience, too? Or at least it looks that way with the crowding.

Any place you go to, you'll probably have no problem dining solo. This is something I'm looking at for my February trip myself. Currently I have a Rose & Crown ADR for an early dinner, the place was fabulous with food and service. I also have down CRT for breakfast and BOG for dinner. Don't be discouraged because you're a lone diner! Just pick a place that has cuisine you're interested in and book that reservation. If you think the place is going to give you a hard time, you can always ask for a manager or reiterate what the PP said and tell them you're looking for a quiet, undisturbed meal.

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
karly05
DIS Veteran

Last year I had an early dinner at Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge - they were not very busy yet, it was quiet and relaxing, good service, good food, a very nice experience. I had the salmon and the berry cobbler and would recommend both.

2012 I had an early dinner at Flying Fish at the Boardwalk; it's a more "bustling" place than AP, but nice; again had good service and good food. I had the special prix fixe menu (not sure exactly what they're doing now like this) with crab cake & salad, snapper & steak and banana napoleon.

One thing I would comment about both AP & FF, the servers seemed to be more mature/experienced (at least the ones I had), very pleasant but not at all overbearing. I would definitely go back to AP or FF.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
ozliz
Earning My Ears

So do those of you who are experienced with solo dining usually make reservations? I have only ever dined solo as a walk up while traveling but get the impression that I may have to change my habits at WDW. Always happy to squeeze in on a bar stool but I just feel like I might be silly making reservations for 1.
ozliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
KingdomHeartsFan
DIS Veteran

I'm planning my 3rd solo trip to WDW. If there is a place you want to try, make a reservation there. Most places accept reservations for 1. The only exceptions I have found that I have not been able to make a reservation for 1 has been 'Ohana and Trail's End. In those cases, I made a reservation for 2 and when I arrived at the podium, I just let them know I would be dining alone. No problem!

KingdomHeartsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicJ View Post
y'know when you are by yourself and just want to apprecaite a nice good meal or take the sights without having to bother with much else... while at WDW where you get that experience?

i've heard here and there (albeit not much) of occasions where people were sitted on tables with other people, strangers or other families due to size of party or number of avaliable tables... and i would imagine just for the nature of the place that certain restaurants might try to nudge some interaction towards lone sitters, which is all fine and well... but when you are not looking for that, what are the recommended places to go?
As a frequent solo, I avoid communal dining since my experience at Teppen Ado. I was seated next to a teenaged girl who, I think, could sense that I was a retired MATH teacher! My attempts to engage her in pleasant conversation and be friendly were met with those pointed "leave me alone" grunts. As a high school teacher, I recognized those grunts! I don't know which one of us was more anxious to leave at the end of the meal. My first comfortable meal as a solo was Sci Fi Dine Inn, where everyone's just sitting looking at the movie screen-kind of like sitting in front of the TV at home. I've also enjoyed Chefs de France (ask for a window table), Rose and Crown lunch on the porch, Coral Reef, tankside. My one tip as a solo diner is that when you check in, point out that you're solo and won't have anyone to talk to. Say that it would help if you had a table with "something to look at, some kind of view". I've found that the CMs often give you some really great tables that way, with nice views.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicJ View Post

I travel to the World solo frequently (4 trips last year). I have never been sat with other people when I dine at TS restaurants.

Here is my list of places I have been and enjoyed solo. Many I have returned again and again.

Be Our Guest
Boma
Bongos
Brown Derby
Cape May
Citricos
Flying Fish
Grand Floridian Café
Kona
Kouzzina
Le Cellier
Liberty Tree Tavern
Nine Dragons
Planet Hollywood
Ragland Road
Rose & Crown
The Wave
Yak & Yeti

My next trip, I have planned Sci-FI, Via Napoli, Paradiso 37, California Grill, & Tony's. I am returning to Boma, GFC, Brown Derby, BOG, & Kona.

As a solo diner, I have found the servers to be more relaxed, friendly, and willing to let you go at your own pace. They are there if I need something, but otherwise let you enjoy the meal!

Go and enjoy!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

I dined solo at the brown derby lounge, O'hana, and Captain's Grille. I was fine at all of them. At O'hana, another solo was actually seated behind me. However, I had to wait 40 minutes for a table...so for that reason, I would not recommend it as a solo option unless you go very early. It is a pretty boring wait when you are solo!
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I'm frequently solo (female, 40 something) and I've never had a bad experience. I especially enjoy Boma ( ask for Paul or Allison as your server--they really know how to make solo diners comfortable; LTT is also high on my list as well as Kona Cafe.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
My one tip as a solo diner is that when you check in, point out that you're solo and won't have anyone to talk to. Say that it would help if you had a table with "something to look at, some kind of view". I've found that the CMs often give you some really great tables that way, with nice views.
DITTO!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

A good number of Disney restaurants have bars at which you can get a full meal. Mrs U and I ALWAYS eat at the bar whenever we can.. in fact, the only places we've ever had a problem were Shulas and Blue Zoo when they had major conventions at Swan/Dolphin. Those times the bars were SRO with thirsty conventioneers

We just make our reservation at whatever restaurant and when we arrive, just ask to eat at the bar.

For a solo person I think it would work out just fine!!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
katiee37
DIS Veteran

I ate at Ohana, Crystal Palace (both breakfast) and Nine Dragons solo this trip. I was disappointed in Ohana, largely because of the character interaction but also because I felt as though the waitress should be more attentive to me even though I was on my own. I had to rely on other nearby waitresses to refill my juice and coffee. I was given a nice window seat though; since I made my ADR for two I don't think I was purposely placed by the window, but who knows.

Crystal Palace was a much different experience. Each character has a handler who love to take posed and candid photos of your interactions, so you don't have to worry about bothering someone sitting near you to take a photo. My waitress was amazing, very sweet, and even brought out a birthday card for me signed by all of the characters.

Nine Dragons was also a great experience. I was seated pretty much in the center of the restaurant, and my waitress was prompt and brought out my food within minutes of me ordering it it seemed like. Since it was my birthday, she brought out a full slice of one of their desserts, not one of those cupcakes most of the restaurants seem to give out for birthdays. I don't know if that was normal to get a full dessert for free on your birthday at Nine Dragons or if it was because I was solo, but either way it made for an enjoyable solo experience!
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: