Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #106
Disney Von Drake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
How do you explain a franchise that doesn't have wide appeal any longer being #2 in licensed sales (only behind Disney Princesses) the past 3+ years?

2012 licensed sales (released Oct 2013)
1. Disney Princess $1.52B
2. Star Wars $1.47B
3. Hello Kitty $1.08
4. Cars $0.93B
5. Pooh $0.93B
6. Mickey & Friends $0.77B
7. WWE $0.59B
8. Angry Birds $0.59B
9. Peanuts $0.54B
10. Toy Story $0.54B
That's because the Star Wars licensing deal doesn't stand on its own merits. Star Wars licensing has been bolstered by Marvel for the past several years. As a matter of fact, Hasbro agreed to continue their Star Wars licensing deal only if Disney gave them the Marvel characters until 2020 along with Star Wars.

The Marvel characters are far more valuable now. Of course, if Disney is successful in reviving the Star Wars franchise with the next three sequel films, reinvigorated toy sales will follow. Let's hope J.J. Abrams is not making another "Alcatraz".


Last edited by Disney Von Drake; 02-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Disney Von Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #107
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran
 
Yellowstonetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 1,117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post
That's because the Star Wars licensing deal doesn't stand on its own merits. Star Wars licensing has been bolstered by Marvel for the past several years. As a matter of fact, Hasbro agreed to continue their Star Wars licensing deal only if Disney gave them the Marvel characters until 2020 along with Star Wars.

The Marvel characters are far more valuable now. Of course, if Disney is successful in reviving the Star Wars franchise with the next three sequel films, reinvigorated toy sales will follow. Let's hope J.J. Abrams is not making another "Alcatraz".
The numbers for Star Wars do not include Marvel. When I go to Toys R Us to shop for the many kids I buy presents for there are some Marvel Toys and a good bit of Star Wars. There are Star Wars everything everywhere. I was in a mall Halmark store today for some post-valentine day stuff and there was a whole section of mugs, a clock, and several other Star War gifts. Nothing Marvel. In a Halmark card store! Star Wars is everywhere!
__________________
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #108
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post

That sums up the problem with Star Wars. It just doesn't have wide appeal any longer and the fan base is far from massive. Disney will attempt to revive the franchise with the new films. They have a challenge because Star Wars has been satirized so much that few people take it seriously as viable space fiction. Darth Tater, Spud Lord of the Sith.
With all do respect...I don't know how you are coming up with your assessment.

Granted, the core Star Wars fans are now 35-50 and they have let the merchandising go off the rails a bit...and Lucas pimped it out for any loose change he could get - instead of protecting it...

But...star wars is still a behemoth from really all angles. It was sold for what many analysts believe was a 2-3 billion discount. He just dumped it...really.

As strong as it could/should be? Absolutely not...but still perhaps the biggest worldwide franchise?

Well... Yeah...kinda
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #109
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post

That's because the Star Wars licensing deal doesn't stand on its own merits. Star Wars licensing has been bolstered by Marvel for the past several years. As a matter of fact, Hasbro agreed to continue their Star Wars licensing deal only if Disney gave them the Marvel characters until 2020 along with Star Wars.
Are you inferring that they are only making Star Wars licensed product to get marvel rights and the stuff isn't selling?

That's what it seems like... And if that's the case you really must take a basic economics class. Products are not made to that kind of dollar value and then sold on the clearance rack... It just doesn't work that way and never did/ will. Supply, demand, price are all tied directly together.

You're not a fan of Star Wars and maybe don't "get it"...that's completely fine...
But you're just simply on the shortside of this argument.

You're struggling and we're trying to get you back in the life raft...honestly
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #110
mvk
Mouseketeer
 
mvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post
That's because the Star Wars licensing deal doesn't stand on its own merits. Star Wars licensing has been bolstered by Marvel for the past several years. As a matter of fact, Hasbro agreed to continue their Star Wars licensing deal only if Disney gave them the Marvel characters until 2020 along with Star Wars.

The Marvel characters are far more valuable now. Of course, if Disney is successful in reviving the Star Wars franchise with the next three sequel films, reinvigorated toy sales will follow. Let's hope J.J. Abrams is not making another "Alcatraz".
SpiderMan was #16 in 2012 licensed sales. Avengers and X-Men were not in the top 20. Marvel is nowhere near as valuable as Star Wars when it comes to product sales.
__________________
WDW CP - Fall 1998 - Merchandising - Emporium (Main Street USA, Magic Kingdom)
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #111
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran
 
Yellowstonetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 1,117

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
With all do respect...I don't know how you are coming up with your assessment.

Granted, the core Star Wars fans are now 35-50 and they have let the merchandising go off the rails a bit...and Lucas pimped it out for any loose change he could get - instead of protecting it...

But...star wars is still a behemoth from really all angles. It was sold for what many analysts believe was a 2-3 billion discount. He just dumped it...really.

As strong as it could/should be? Absolutely not...but still perhaps the biggest worldwide franchise?

Well... Yeah...kinda
I agree with everything above except the age range: The core 35-50 group has done a great job of passing on Star Wars to the next generations. Toy's R Us and Wal-Mart don't have a Star Wars toy section for the 35-50 crowd. (Ok, I do buy some, but it is for my home theater not to play with.)

I am 54 and my 27 year old son and 25 year old daughter are both big Star Wars fans. A number of kids I know in the 6 to 16 range are big Star Wars fans. This is because of the replay of the originals and prequels, the books, cartoons, and great toys.

Star Wars is different than any other franchise and is definitely still going gangbusters. I think Lockedoutlogic is spot on to call it the "biggest worldwide franchise." Just talk to kids and visit the toy store! Any idea that it is a "failing franchise" has to come from an alternate universe, it certainly doesn't belong in this reality!
__________________
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #112
AustinWells
Mad Man
 
AustinWells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Petal, MS
Posts: 59

yes, star wars is still one of the most popular franchises around. Disney got it for a steal and whether or not they do good with it is yet to be seen. Disney is making money on their investment and I personally know people from ages 4-70 who still loved the movies, books, cartoons, video games, toys, etc and buy A LOT of it...

why has everyone turned into an expert theme park guru and all knowing? doesn't everyone think Disney is experienced enough in what they are doing and have a plan of knowing what is going to work, star wars, avatar, or NFL?

C'mon now
__________________
You smell what I am stepping in???


Last edited by AustinWells; 02-20-2014 at 08:34 AM.
AustinWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #113
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran
 
Yellowstonetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 1,117

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinWells View Post
yes, star wars is still one of the most popular franchises around. Disney got it for a steal and whether or not they do good with it is yet to be seen. Disney is making money on their investment and I personally know people from ages 4-70 who still loved the movies, books, cartoons, video games, toys, etc and buy A LOT of it...

why has everyone turned into an expert theme park guru and all knowing? doesn't everyone think Disney is experienced enough in what they are doing and have a plan of knowing what is going to work, star wars, avatar, or NFL?

C'mon now
Exactly!
__________________
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #114
thorp8
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8

Question Back to Animal Kingdom

So, I was going to find a more appropriate thread to ask this question, but I see this thread is now going all over the place, so I figured, why not?

Does anyone know if the large cleared area just north of Asia and to the east of the Wildlife Express Train is used for anything?

Could this area be developed into a future land and connect in near the Flights of Wonder pavilion?

It seems to construction would have to be done to hide some back stage areas, but I'm sure that could be accomplished. Obviously, with the addition of Pandora, I don't see anything happening any time soon. I am just curious because it seems this area was purposely cleared but not developed.
thorp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #115
mvk
Mouseketeer
 
mvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorp8 View Post
So, I was going to find a more appropriate thread to ask this question, but I see this thread is now going all over the place, so I figured, why not?

Does anyone know if the large cleared area just north of Asia and to the east of the Wildlife Express Train is used for anything?

Could this area be developed into a future land and connect in near the Flights of Wonder pavilion?

It seems to construction would have to be done to hide some back stage areas, but I'm sure that could be accomplished. Obviously, with the addition of Pandora, I don't see anything happening any time soon. I am just curious because it seems this area was purposely cleared but not developed.
I believe that was the staging area for previous construction.
__________________
WDW CP - Fall 1998 - Merchandising - Emporium (Main Street USA, Magic Kingdom)
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #116
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorp8 View Post
So, I was going to find a more appropriate thread to ask this question, but I see this thread is now going all over the place, so I figured, why not?

Does anyone know if the large cleared area just north of Asia and to the east of the Wildlife Express Train is used for anything?

Could this area be developed into a future land and connect in near the Flights of Wonder pavilion?

It seems to construction would have to be done to hide some back stage areas, but I'm sure that could be accomplished. Obviously, with the addition of Pandora, I don't see anything happening any time soon. I am just curious because it seems this area was purposely cleared but not developed.
That area originally was going to be used for Tiger River Rapids what was going to be an elaborate boat based safari (http://land.allears.net/blogs/jacksp...river_rap.html) but eventually this was scaled back and became Kali River Rapids. Since then it has been used for storage and staging.

I think if they ever plan to build a new animal based are of the park (Australia for example) this is where it would go since it's a very large and isolated piece of land and close to where the existing animal care facilities are.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #117
Asuva03
Earning My Ears
 
Asuva03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Posts: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
And Citizen Kane would make a crappy theme park land. What's your point?

Generally speaking, great films don't make great theme park lands. Great, immersive, compelling environments make great theme park lands.

Complex stories make awful theme park attractions (which is why I hope the Lord of the Rings/Disney rumors die - and I love the Tolkein books). Great theme park attractions tell simple stories - ones in which theme park guests can be immersed for a few minutes and walk away having "gotten it." Theme parks tell much of their story with atmosphere, architecture, lighting, music - things other than rides and "CPU cycles." THAT is where Cameron and Disney Imagineering working together will excel, and that is why there's every reason to believe that Pandora will be a great addition to Disney's Animal Kingdom.
I agree completely - While I wasn't a huge fan of the actual story line of Avatar... You need only take a piece of story here and there to make a few decent attractions. That's the easy part...... The hard part is getting that immersion... The world of Pandora that Cameron created was indeed extravagant and breathtaking. The atmosphere and the "magic" of that fantastical setting will sell Avatarland all on it's own for me and a lot of others (particularly children)... And if anyone can bring that magic to life, it's Disney.
__________________

Asuva03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #118
Asuva03
Earning My Ears
 
Asuva03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Posts: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinWells View Post
yes, star wars is still one of the most popular franchises around. Disney got it for a steal and whether or not they do good with it is yet to be seen. Disney is making money on their investment and I personally know people from ages 4-70 who still loved the movies, books, cartoons, video games, toys, etc and buy A LOT of it...

why has everyone turned into an expert theme park guru and all knowing? doesn't everyone think Disney is experienced enough in what they are doing and have a plan of knowing what is going to work, star wars, avatar, or NFL?

C'mon now

YEP YEP YEP
__________________

Asuva03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: