Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #76
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
totally Star Wars is a major money maker. Especially once the new trilogy come out that will reopen an already massive fan base.
If and when they do a star wars land what will be the setting? same question i have for LOTR... and will they do it right...
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #77
Eoghann
Earning My Ears

No one is doing a Lord of the Rings Land. I'm not a betting man but I'd put money on that.

Why? Because the legal rights are a mess. No one single party outright owns the rights to a theme park based on Middle-Earth.

I wish the answer was different, because I would be in heaven if we got one, and I could give you a half dozen ideas for things in such a land just off the top of my head.

Star Wars is a different story.

We know that *eventually* Disney will build further Star Wars themed rides and common sense indicates Hollywood Studios is where that would happen. But what and when are wide open questions at this point.

What a lot of these rumors fail to mention is that at any point in time Disney is considering probably 5 or more different concepts and ideas. Some or none of them may actually get built.

These concepts can get fairly well advanced (like the idea to replace Tomorrowland at Disney with a Star Wars land) before dying down again for one reason or another.

When you deal with a company like Disney you're looking at a lot of politics, money and fiefdoms (as I understand it each park has it's own budget). Ideas bubble up, they lose favor, maybe they resurface again years later.
Eoghann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #78
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post
Disney knows that any attempt to reinvigorate the Star Wars universe is risky. They're going to hedge their bets and mostly likely give Pixar a shot at bringing Star Wars back to life: http://www.hypable.com/2014/01/22/pi...ar-wars-movie/
Star Wars is about as sure a bet as you can get in Hollywood. I can't see any scenario where Ep VII doesn't bring in over $1 billion worldwide.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #79
LuvSnowWhite
Mouseketeer

Right now Animal Kingdom is my favorite park at WDW and having an "Avatarland" will completely ruin it. Although in the defence of the theme of Avatar (correct me anyone if I'm mistaken), it's about conservation and saving of their planet (whatever it was called) and the theme of Animal Kingdom is the conservation our our planet and wildlife. I just think Avatar the movie was lame but I am hopeful that Avatar the land will be excellent and not ruin AK.
It feels like Disney is replacing all it's classic themes with lame new movie themes or maybe I am just getting old.
LuvSnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #80
TuneTownMagic
DIS Veteran

I read somewhere that the Imagineers or some other officials with the Disney parks mentioned that eventually Avatar would be expanded to other parks in the World as well? It's hard to imagine right now where they would fit this in. Maybe the "Land" in Epcot?

Anyway, I'm excited to hear about the groundbreaking, and it's going to be be a long and anxious wait for the construction to be completed!
TuneTownMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #81
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSnowWhite View Post
Right now Animal Kingdom is my favorite park at WDW and having an "Avatarland" will completely ruin it. Although in the defence of the theme of Avatar (correct me anyone if I'm mistaken), it's about conservation and saving of their planet (whatever it was called) and the theme of Animal Kingdom is the conservation our our planet and wildlife. I just think Avatar the movie was lame but I am hopeful that Avatar the land will be excellent and not ruin AK.
It feels like Disney is replacing all it's classic themes with lame new movie themes or maybe I am just getting old.
It's basically Beastly Kingdom with a different name. Mythical creatures in a mythical setting.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #82
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
If and when they do a star wars land what will be the setting? same question i have for LOTR... and will they do it right...
thats a million dollar question literally

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #83
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneTownMagic View Post
I read somewhere that the Imagineers or some other officials with the Disney parks mentioned that eventually Avatar would be expanded to other parks in the World as well? It's hard to imagine right now where they would fit this in. Maybe the "Land" in Epcot? Anyway, I'm excited to hear about the groundbreaking, and it's going to be be a long and anxious wait for the construction to be completed!
I doubt it and where did you hear this? If this happens it wouldn't be until disney were to buy the company that made avatar from James Cameron.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #84
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I read somewhere that the Imagineers or some other officials with the Disney parks mentioned that eventually Avatar would be expanded to other parks in the World as well? It's hard to imagine right now where they would fit this in. Maybe the "Land" in Epcot? Anyway, I'm excited to hear about the groundbreaking, and it's going to be be a long and anxious wait for the construction to be completed!
Not so much at wdw but look for it in Shanghai or hong kong
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #85
TuneTownMagic
DIS Veteran

I have looked around the net but can't find where I read it anymore. It's possible it is just a totally false rumor. Just wondered if anyone else heard anything similar.
TuneTownMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #86
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have looked around the net but can't find where I read it anymore. It's possible it is just a totally false rumor. Just wondered if anyone else heard anything similar.
I saw a comment about Cameron creating a themepark "franchise" with avatar... Cause that's his baby and he thinks it that good (can't be right all the time...I suppose)

Of course he'd say that though...based on his personality
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #87
Eoghann
Earning My Ears

A number of rumors suggested that Disney tried to push the idea of an Avatarland for the Shanghai park, but their partner didn't bite.

Other rumors have definitely indicated that what Cameron wants to have a franchise (think Star Wars) and that theme parks are a component of that.

Will it work? Who knows, but I wouldn't rush to bet against someone with Cameron's track record whether I like the movie or not.
Eoghann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #88
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSnowWhite View Post
Pandora cannot "ruin" AK, the rest of the park will still be there. And Pandora was and is a gorgeous environment that will be a wonderful addition that will turn the park into a full day Park. If it is just OK, then all will be well and AK will be better, if it is GREAT, than AK is going to soar!

Quote:
I doubt it and where did you hear this? If this happens it wouldn't be until disney were to buy the company that made avatar from James Cameron.
They are spending hundreds of millions to install an entire land in AK, so I don't think they would have to buy Avatar to do anything else. However, I don't think this rumor has any legs. Maybe, just maybe, if Avatar 2, 3, and 4 are mega-hits, then we might see something at DHS, but that would be years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
A number of rumors suggested that Disney tried to push the idea of an Avatarland for the Shanghai park, but their partner didn't bite.

Other rumors have definitely indicated that what Cameron wants to have a franchise (think Star Wars) and that theme parks are a component of that.

Will it work? Who knows, but I wouldn't rush to bet against someone with Cameron's track record whether I like the movie or not.
THIS! Betting against Cameron is a baaaad idea. This guy is crazy, a genius, an inventor with a number of patents, an explorer, and maker of the two biggest money making movies of all time. I so love the idea of him working with imaginers to bring Pandora to life. He settles for nothing but the best.

I think the real test will be the next Avatar movie. If it does anywhere above a Billion, Avatar is going to continue for some time.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #89
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney has the worldwide theme park rights to Avatar and has, or at least had, intentions of using it in more the just WDW. From the initial press release:

"The agreement announced today gives The Walt Disney Company exclusive global theme park rights to the AVATAR franchise and provides for additional AVATAR themed lands at other Disney parks. The other locations will be determined by Disney and its international theme park partners. James Cameron, Jon Landau and their Lightstorm Entertainment group will serve as creative consultants on the projects and will partner with Walt Disney Imagineering in the design and development of the AVATAR themed lands. "
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #90
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
I read somewhere that the Imagineers or some other officials with the Disney parks mentioned that eventually Avatar would be expanded to other parks in the World as well? It's hard to imagine right now where they would fit this in. Maybe the "Land" in Epcot?
The original news back in September 2011 said that Disney had acquired "global theme park rights to the Avatar franchise" and that Disney's Animal Kingdom would be the first Disney park to get Avatar.

Disney can take Avatar to other Disney parks "around the world" -- the actual world, not just Walt Disney World. If Avatar resonates with guests at Animal Kingdom, Avatar could show up in some form in Anaheim, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, or future Disney parks anywhere in the world.

Although Disney has the rights to add Avatar to other its parks in Florida, I would not expect an Avatar presence at MK, DHS, or Epcot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: