Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
TNS_Tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

Which Character Dining is Better IYO?

Hi,

I am planning our dream trip to WDW and am almost the 60 day mark to when we can book ADR's.

I am wondering if Chef Mickeys is decent at dinner time? When I google the reviews its a mixed bag, but then all ears gives it a decent rating.

Also, What are your opinions on Crystal Palace? For breakfast, on the last day?

We already know, that we want to do CRT, on the day we take DD to Bibbidi Botique.

I am just trying to decide if the other two are worth it, or is there a better dinner/breakfast?

Thanks for you input.

WDW Trip: August 2014
Disneyland Trips: June 2013, December 2012, February 2012, August 2010, August 2009, October 2005, December 1998, October 1990
Our First PTR...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3301612
TNS_Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
BDL
DIS Veteran

Crystal Palace is a great plan if you can get a pre-rope drop ADR. But for a character breakfast, my must do is Donald's Breakfast Safari at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. You get a family pic with Donald in jungle gear before you even go inside. And there is A LOT of character interaction while you eat. Plus there are some exotic foods that you won't get at other character meals (and Krispy Kreme donuts ).

Also, if you are willing to do Chef Mickey for dinner, if you have PH tix, go 1 more stop on the monorail and do Crystal Palace for dinner, if you decide to do Tusker House. That way, you'd get Donald Mickey, Goofy and Daisy in the morning and then Pooh and friends for dinner.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNS_Tinkerbell View Post
Hi,

I am planning our dream trip to WDW and am almost the 60 day mark to when we can book ADR's.

I am wondering if Chef Mickeys is decent at dinner time? When I google the reviews its a mixed bag, but then all ears gives it a decent rating.

Also, What are your opinions on Crystal Palace? For breakfast, on the last day?

We already know, that we want to do CRT, on the day we take DD to Bibbidi Botique.

I am just trying to decide if the other two are worth it, or is there a better dinner/breakfast?

Thanks for you input.
I first want to let you know that you can actually start making your ADRs at 180 days out and if you are staying on property it is 180+10 days, you can only start making your FP+ reservations 60 days out which has nothing to do with your dining .

As for your questions: We didn't care for Chef Mickey's dinner but do like it for breakfast. We love love love Crystal Palace breakfast and if you can get an ADR for before the park opens on a non EMH day, then that is even better. We also like CRT, we like both breakfast and dinner there, and again if you plan on going for breakfast I would highly suggest making one for before the park opens on a non EMH day, however I don't know how this would play into your BBB reservation (my girls never did this so it didn't affect us).

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

I agree with Tusker House for breakfast....we loved that.

Now for Chef Mickeys for dinner. We loved it but not for the food. My son has such a wonderful time with the dancing and napkin swinging and singing. The food is basic food, nothing to write home about but the pictures I have of my son smiling so big and having such a wonderful time trumps the food in my opinion. For every good review you will get 5 bad reviews. When I planned my first trip I read and read and read reviews....wanted to cancel ressies based on the bad reviews but someone said to me.....everyone's idea of a good meal is different and you have to go and try it for yourself before you decide to nix a restaurant. And I took that advice. The reviews for Cape May seafood dinner can get pretty bad....we LOVED it. Even my son (picky 7 year old eater) loved it and wants to go back in October. Now Via Napoli pizza gets rave reviews....we thought it was just so so. My pizza loving son didn't like it at all.

So we all have different taste. Read the reviews but then decide what you want based on your family. You may end up liking something that the masses don't. We are pretty plain eaters and don't eat a lot of adventurous food, so basic mashed potatoes and chicken is good for us so we like Chef Mickeys.

Good Luck in deciding!!!

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

We love crystal palace for dinner. Chef Mickey...just ok, not bad.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
kimber11
Kimberley

I have heard that the Chef Mickey's dinner is awful. We loved breakfast there though and have done it twice. We have yet to try Cinderella's Royal table since it counts as 2 table service dining credits on the dining plan. Instead we did the buffet supper at 1900 Park Fare where my daughters got to dance with prince charming and we also quite enjoyed seeing all of the princesses at Akershus in Epcot. I wasn't very impressed with Tusker House but we did breakfast there. If your daughter likes the Winnie the Pooh characters I'm sure the Crystal Palace will be nice. I have only heard good things about it.
kimber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
ThroughLookingGlass
“Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle.” Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I love chef mickeys.
Crystal Palace is great for breakfast, if you make a reservation before the park opens you can take pictures on an empty main street. No more strangers forever picking their noses in the background of your family photo!

Tusker house is cute for meeting the fab 5.

Akershus in Norway (Epcot) has all the princesses. 1900 Park Fare character theme changes often, I've seen villians, cinderella, and alice characters.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Its always a toss up between Crystal palace and Chef Mickeys for us.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
TNS_Tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Crystal Palace is a great plan if you can get a pre-rope drop ADR. But for a character breakfast, my must do is Donald's Breakfast Safari at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. You get a family pic with Donald in jungle gear before you even go inside. And there is A LOT of character interaction while you eat. Plus there are some exotic foods that you won't get at other character meals (and Krispy Kreme donuts ). Also, if you are willing to do Chef Mickey for dinner, if you have PH tix, go 1 more stop on the monorail and do Crystal Palace for dinner, if you decide to do Tusker House. That way, you'd get Donald Mickey, Goofy and Daisy in the morning and then Pooh and friends for dinner.
Thanks, I'm going to look into the Tusker House, it never made our list, as AKL, isn't a priority other than DD and the animals.

Disneyland Trips: June 2013, December 2012, February 2012, August 2010, August 2009, October 2005, December 1998, October 1990
Our First PTR...

Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
TNS_Tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroughLookingGlass View Post
I love chef mickeys. Crystal Palace is great for breakfast, if you make a reservation before the park opens you can take pictures on an empty main street. No more strangers forever picking their noses in the background of your family photo! Tusker house is cute for meeting the fab 5. Akershus in Norway (Epcot) has all the princesses. 1900 Park Fare character theme changes often, I've seen villians, cinderella, and alice characters.
Is 1900 Park Fare easy to get too?

Is that in MK? I've never heard about that. But villains and cinderella seems awesome.

Our First PTR...

Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
jcano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNS_Tinkerbell View Post
Is 1900 Park Fare easy to get too? Is that in MK? I've never heard about that. But villains and cinderella seems awesome.
1900 is at GF. It was lots of fun! Food was standard buffet fare, but the character were great!

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
jcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I hope you can get into CRT. You need to start booking right away, as PoohsFan1 stated above, you could have made your ADRs a LONG time ago. Best of luck!

ETA: Wait...your ticker is still several months away. Do you mean you are approaching the 60 mark UNTIL your 180 day mark? If so, then disregard my previous statement.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
ibela
DIS Veteran

I'm getting ready to make my ADRs tomorrow () and last night I told the kids they could each pick 1 meal. DD asked for 1900PF dinner because she wanted to see Cinderalla and Prince Charming dance again, and the stepsisters are a hoot! In terms of character interaction, it's the best of any character meal we've been to in 6 trips, food wise it's eh but it's a buffet so there's always something you can find. It's easy to get to, monorail to Grand Floridian. For 1900PF breakfast, they have different characters. I believe it's Mary Poppins, Alice, Mad Hatter, and Tigger - totally mixed back. And I think I'm outdating myself because the characters changed in the past year...

Chef Mickey - character interaction is hit or miss, sometimes Mickey rushes through. Food is better at breakfast than dinner but again, it's a buffet so there's always something you can find.

Love Crystal Palace, although we haven't been in a while. Oh, and I second (or third?) Tusker House, great food and interaction.

If you can't get into CRT, try Akershus instead. We enoy both.
Magic Eastern Sept 29 - Oct 6, 2007 TR:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1605878

WDW:
OKW: Aug 2014 (upcoming)
BLT/AKV Jambo: Aug 2013
BWK: Dec 2011
BC: Sep 2010
BLT/AKV Kidani: Nov 2009
SSR: May 2008
ibela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
Dislover1991
DIS Veteran

We loved Cape May for breakfast! The food was standard buffet food but absolutely delicious! I'm a light eater and had 6 plates, if that tells you how good it was character interaction is great too! We are 3 adults and had so much fun with the characters!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
KelleyK75
DIS Veteran

We like Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace and Tusker House all for breakfast. I haven't tried any of them for lunch or dinner. We have had good interaction with the characters at them all.

Sept 2010 - CBR

March 2014 - POR

Next trip....Hoping for a few days in Feb. 2015 and planning birthday trip Dec 2015. And hopefully one sooner.

Setting goal to run the Princess Half Marathon, 2016.
KelleyK75 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: