DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #61
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears
 
Tardisblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
That's what happens when people make impulse buys, pay retail, don't learn their product and don't play the game to win. Certainly some should not own timeshares but for many, learning and buying the right ones can be a gold mine in terms of vacation usage.
I'm not sure if you're bitter with your experience or feeling superior that you scored such a great deal? And who is trying to "win" at vacation usage?
__________________
Walt Disney World
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Tardisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #62
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardisblue View Post
I'm not sure if you're bitter with your experience or feeling superior that you scored such a great deal? And who is trying to "win" at vacation usage?
Dean is superior IMO.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #63
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardisblue View Post
I'm not sure if you're bitter with your experience or feeling superior that you scored such a great deal? And who is trying to "win" at vacation usage?
Neither, simply pointing out that timeshares are usually sold, not bought and that a large % of people who buy timeshares, DVC included, do so on an impulse, often not making a good choice. I'd suspect that anyone who buys retail, doesn't use it and complains about the fees would agree with me since it clearly isn't a blessing in this situation.

As for winning, timeshares (other than fixed week/fixed unit) essentially pit one member against another. To reasonably own and use a timeshare you've got to learn the system so you can get the reservation before someone else does, get the most out of it, secure unit assignments and control costs where possible. Like most investments, the most gains from a timeshares system are made on the buy in (specific choice, price, UY, etc). The ONLY alternative to winning is losing, with DVC that might be not getting a reservation at all or getting a bad unit assignment. To me the normal deal is what you can get resale, the other positions are simply an opportunity to make bad choices going in and/or overpay.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #64
BenDiscipio
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Dean,

That may be how you look at it, but I'll guarantee you there are thousands, tens of thousands, who disagree. Good for you that you've been able to manipulate the system to get every last advantage you feel you need....that's obviously important to you.

Frankly, purchase price is such a minor expense in the grand scheme, it makes little difference.

I would wager that most owners are very happy with their DVC ownership, regardless of how they bought it....resale, direct, financed, cash, big, small. I think you get fixated on the very small percentage of owners who are very vocal on this site....and you confuse that with most owners.

I'm sure in your small world of what is important and what isn't important, you are winning.

Most others feel they are winning because they have a product that they enjoy...to each their own.

Many people endlessly cut out coupons weekly to save on groceries and get imagine how people waste money by not doing it.....but it's a choice. Just like many of the topics on here....they are choices.

It's nowhere near as black and white as you set it out to be. Either you're a winner or a loser? Are you for real?
BenDiscipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #65
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,914

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiscipio View Post
Dean,

That may be how you look at it, but I'll guarantee you there are thousands, tens of thousands, who disagree. Good for you that you've been able to manipulate the system to get every last advantage you feel you need....that's obviously important to you.

Frankly, purchase price is such a minor expense in the grand scheme, it makes little difference.

I would wager that most owners are very happy with their DVC ownership, regardless of how they bought it....resale, direct, financed, cash, big, small. I think you get fixated on the very small percentage of owners who are very vocal on this site....and you confuse that with most owners.

I'm sure in your small world of what is important and what isn't important, you are winning.

Most others feel they are winning because they have a product that they enjoy...to each their own.

Many people endlessly cut out coupons weekly to save on groceries and get imagine how people waste money by not doing it.....but it's a choice. Just like many of the topics on here....they are choices.

It's nowhere near as black and white as you set it out to be. Either you're a winner or a loser? Are you for real?
You may not like my wording and obviously there's a continuum, but let me ask you this. What would you say to someone who buy DVC, doesn't plan ahead and can never get anything but are paying the dues. Or someone who wants AKV concierge in early Dec and consistently tries by phone a day after the 11 month window opens. I'd say their losing, that's different than calling them a loser. Or the opposite end of the spectrum for those that get up early (different time zone) to make a difficult reservation or those that walk the reservations, I'd say they're winning and doing so at another members loss. That's different than micromanaging. However, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how an individual looks at it, it's their actions or lack of that determine what they do or do not get out of a timeshare with the most important decisions being the initial purchase and the effort to learn and use the system to their advantage.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #66
BenDiscipio
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You may not like my wording and obviously there's a continuum, but let me ask you this. What would you say to someone who buy DVC, doesn't plan ahead and can never get anything but are paying the dues. Or someone who wants AKV concierge in early Dec and consistently tries by phone a day after the 11 month window opens. I'd say their losing, that's different than calling them a loser. Or the opposite end of the spectrum for those that get up early (different time zone) to make a difficult reservation or those that walk the reservations, I'd say they're winning and doing so at another members loss. That's different than micromanaging. However, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how an individual looks at it, it's their actions or lack of that determine what they do or do not get out of a timeshare with the most important decisions being the initial purchase and the effort to learn and use the system to their advantage.
But you see, to most people, none of those things are important. I've checked availability now for a year....and frankly, I don't see a single season where I couldn't book something satisfactory to me. Now....if it were THAT important to me that I always get AKV concierge, or some very specific type of room at some very specific always busy time...then maybe my priorities would change. But, I don't think you need to manipulate the system to get a great room at the time you want it.

I've tried F&W weekends, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring breaks,....and I've yet to find a time where there wasn't something very satisfactory available.

I'm glad you're beating the system...but you should know that most of those people you think are "losing"...feel that they are doing quite well indeed. Important to have perspective.
BenDiscipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #67
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,914

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiscipio View Post
But you see, to most people, none of those things are important. I've checked availability now for a year....and frankly, I don't see a single season where I couldn't book something satisfactory to me. Now....if it were THAT important to me that I always get AKV concierge, or some very specific type of room at some very specific always busy time...then maybe my priorities would change. But, I don't think you need to manipulate the system to get a great room at the time you want it.

I've tried F&W weekends, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring breaks,....and I've yet to find a time where there wasn't something very satisfactory available.

I'm glad you're beating the system...but you should know that most of those people you think are "losing"...feel that they are doing quite well indeed. Important to have perspective.
I don't think we have enough info to know what's important to most people and the context was in terms of timeshares in general, not just DVC but including DVC. To be more realistic with your approach, you'd have to image there wasn't availability that fit your needs. As for manipulating the system, everyone that walks a reservations, reserves a unit they know they may not need or even reserves at 11 months to try elsewhere is manipulating the system.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #68
BenDiscipio
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 55

Of course, if everyone wanted to walk reservations, it would be just as hard to do as booking day of....

Truth is, it isn't important to most DVC owners, or you'd see it more often.

My point is that you can grow to obsess over certain items so much....that you can actually end up "losing"....while feeling like you're "winning"....

The world of internet forums are like talk radio....generally, the most noise is made by fringe groups that don't represent the mainstream....

As long as I can book a room I'm happy with, I'm more than happy....
BenDiscipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #69
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,914

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiscipio View Post
The world of internet forums are like talk radio....generally, the most noise is made by fringe groups that don't represent the mainstream....
I don't want to be average. Normal is broke too but that doesn't make it a good place to be.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #70
k3chantal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracerussell View Post
Thanks, Dean! Lots of great points you make here. A little more about our situation: We always stay at the Contemporary, and don't have any desire to stay off-monorail due to the convenience and location with our little ones. We love the idea of being able to go to Disney World every year, or, skip a year, bank points and rent a two bedroom villa so we can invite other family members.

Financially, we have been fortunate. We pay for most large purchases (such as vehicles) with cash, pay our credit card in full each month, and our only debt is a house mortgage which is about one third paid for. We would pay for the DVC in cash.

You mention the housekeeping and wear and tear of the rooms. Is this significantly subpar to what we would expect at a deluxe resort stay?

Again, thanks so much! This is very helpful.
Because of your financial situation, you are probably a perfect candidate for DVC. We are financially similar to you (but we did pay cash for direct points; no regrets at all).

I haven't found the room significantly subpar at all. There once was a light bulb that needed to be replaced, but it turned out that we didn't ever need that light and this was at AKL which is known for its dark decor.

The upside of DVC for us is that we can fantasize about what to do with our points and make these trips reality, know that the accommodations will be at a consistent standard we are now used to, have found plenty of creative ways to use our points (yes, we see nothing wrong with using them for cruises or trading with RCI) and have something to always look forward to.

Good luck.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #71
bakerworld
DIS Veteran
 
bakerworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 726

The real sticking point to any TS is returning - every or every other year?? Just spent a weekend in AC/NJ and OMG. Every non-WDW FL vacation we take just makes me glad to pay my dues.

Buy for you. A reoccurring theme are owners feel taken advantage of by their 'freebie' friends and relatives or feel since their family/friends no longer want to go so they're 'stuck'.
__________________


AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #72
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
The real sticking point to any TS is returning - every or every other year?? Just spent a weekend in AC/NJ and OMG. Every non-WDW FL vacation we take just makes me glad to pay my dues.
Depends on where you go and what you enjoy.

We had a great time at OKW in December, but that was our first visit in a year and a half. Now we're trying to decide between Yellowstone/Teton/Jackson Hole, Northern AZ (Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc), and SFO/Yosemite/Wine Country, and/or maybe a Mom/Dad getaway while Girlie is in a Duke TIPS week-long course -- in addition to 4-5 road trips for figure skating competitions. Tough problem to have.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #73
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Depends on where you go and what you enjoy.

We had a great time at OKW in December, but that was our first visit in a year and a half. Now we're trying to decide between Yellowstone/Teton/Jackson Hole, Northern AZ (Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc), and SFO/Yosemite/Wine Country, and/or maybe a Mom/Dad getaway while Girlie is in a Duke TIPS week-long course -- in addition to 4-5 road trips for figure skating competitions. Tough problem to have.
Isn't it? We came back from a weekend skiing - neither my husband or I skis, but the kids do. We rented a house - it was really nice - sat around and played cards and games, had a fire in the fireplace, played in the snow. Next up, a weekend getaway for my husband and I to Omaha for the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting - which has been an annual trip for us for a few years and we really enjoy.

Each of us only has so much time and money to vacation with - and while Disney World has been a really nice vacation - especially when the kids were little - and we've gotten the value out of DVC - we aren't, nor were we ever - Disney lifers who take every - or even most - vacations at WDW.

We had a thread here a while ago on what percentage of your vacations are DVC - I was a little shocked - you and I are not unusual. I think that thread convinced me - we shouldn't just be interested in "can you afford DVC" but "can you afford DVC and still have vacation dollars and time left for figure skating competitions, or trips to Europe, or a week at the Grand Canyon or Washington DC, or whatever." Because many of us who own DVC don't use it as our only vacation plan.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #74
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears
 
Tardisblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Isn't it? We came back from a weekend skiing - neither my husband or I skis, but the kids do. We rented a house - it was really nice - sat around and played cards and games, had a fire in the fireplace, played in the snow. Next up, a weekend getaway for my husband and I to Omaha for the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting - which has been an annual trip for us for a few years and we really enjoy.

Each of us only has so much time and money to vacation with - and while Disney World has been a really nice vacation - especially when the kids were little - and we've gotten the value out of DVC - we aren't, nor were we ever - Disney lifers who take every - or even most - vacations at WDW.

We had a thread here a while ago on what percentage of your vacations are DVC - I was a little shocked - you and I are not unusual. I think that thread convinced me - we shouldn't just be interested in "can you afford DVC" but "can you afford DVC and still have vacation dollars and time left for figure skating competitions, or trips to Europe, or a week at the Grand Canyon or Washington DC, or whatever." Because many of us who own DVC don't use it as our only vacation plan.
First World Problems.
__________________
Walt Disney World
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Tardisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #75
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardisblue View Post
First World Problems.
Definately. But anyone who is having any issues deciding whether or not DVC is for them is in the first world problem category.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.