Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #31
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubygoose
glad you started your TR! It sounds like your first park day was busy but fun. We're thinking of maybe going during March next year because the kids school district and my school district get 2 weeks spring break in March. Was it busy at that time? Warm enough to swim? I'm interested to read about whether or not you enjoyed the discover the magic tour and the Fantasmic dessert seating.
My son is a TOTAL water kid always has been so he thought it was perfect swimming weather. Weather was 63-75 while we were there.

Both tours were worth it, the Fantasmic recap is above and I'll do the others shortly

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #32
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

SATURDA, MARCH 22 – WARNER BROS AND HUNTINGTON BEACH

Today was a “no park day” and I must say, even though we were doing things it really was a nice break and made the overall trip seem relaxing and not rushed.

I rented a mid-sized car from the Alamo on Katella and they were very nice when we arrived.* We were given a very nice new Toyota Avalon, my son loved the backup camera haha.* They offer you an area map, take it!* It’s actually pretty decent and came in handy when my cell battery got on red from all the pictures I’d been taking and the drain of using its GPS.*

We took off from the rental car location by 10am and were on the road for our 11:15am tour at Warner Brothers.* We should have allowed more time, traffic was THICK in parts and we arrived for the tour with literally a minute to spare.* I didn’t expect that on a Saturday morning, lesson learned.* Our tour guide was Blaire, very friendly and knowledgeable.* The whole purpose for this tour was that my son is a HUGE Big Bang Theory fan and I wanted to see if we could tour the set.* We got to see 3 sets on this tour:* Ellen, Friends and BIG BANG!* I tell ya, the camera can do amazing things with perspective.* You’d never guess, but the distance between Penny’s couch and kitchen island, and the guys couch and their kitchen – is no more than 3 feet.* The walls are slanted, to throw off depth perception and the camera also adds 10ft (and 10lbs haha).** We really enjoyed touring this set.* We got to see:* Penny’s apartment, Sheldon/Leondards apartment,* the guys cafeteria, and a restaurant that they had set up that was not the cheesecake factory.* Oh and a short peek at Sheldon’s room.** We saw tons of their back lots and streetscapes, it was amazing.* We saw a jungle area that has been the set for:* China Beach, Jurassic Park, Free Willy, Hart of Dixie and more.* We saw several fake streets/buildings from Hart of Dixie, Pretty Little Liars, Gilmore Girls, Friends, Big Bang, Casablanca, some old westerns and a ton I’m forgetting.** One neat thing about their grounds is they camoflauge everything.** For example, you’d think the WB offices would be in nice fancy buildings right?* Well there is one.* But the others are hidden in apartment/motel style looking buildings – that way they do double duty and can act as a film set on the outside!** The houses on the streets you see in tv?* Production houses – with each show having their own house and having their offices inside.* It’s all so interesting how it works!** You cannot take pictures on live sets, but Friends isn’t active anymore so we could take pics there.** We also got to go into a building where they have cars from films on display:* Batmobiles, Austin Powers car, The General Lee! And a few others.* All in all it was a fun 2.5hrs VIP tour and well worth the money to us.

Off to the beach we go!* We got out of the gift shop around 1:30* and decided to head straight to Huntington Beach.** We stopped at Subway along the way to grab some lunch and ate it on the nice warm sand watching the waves.* It was about an hour to get there, nowhere is close in LA.* But it was an easy drive.* We went to Huntington Beach State Park specifically.* It was easy to find parking, the beach was clean and there were lifeguards.* My son loved jumping waves and realizing that there is warm ocean water in the world (just not in Oregon haha).** The beach isn’t fancy, but some people had volleyball nets set up, were playing Frisbee, digging huge holes etc.* It’s a great beach for kids IMO.

Coming up tomorrow……Discover the Magic Tour!

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #33
Jairy
Mouseketeer

We ended up getting a Soaring Fastpass that cut into our line up time for checking in at Fantasmic. I think we got there just a touch before 8 and only a few people were behind us. The plus side was we were seated right away. We also sat in the 3rd row which was not too bad for us. Ds and I stood for the actual show, then sat for the fireworks after. I swear we must have walked by each other a few times. We had breakfast on the Wharf Friday morning.
Jairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #34
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

I am loving this thread! We are headed to Disneyland for 9 nights - 8/27 - 9/5, 2014! Primary reason is for my DD16 & myself to get our Coast2Coast Medals after doing the Dumbo Double Dare! We are staying at Best Western at Stovall's. Has anyone here stayed there? I am following this thread now and hoping to learn some "tips" so please everyone help out a Newbie! Thanks!!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #35
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Discover the Magic Tour

SUNDAY MARCH 23 – DISCOVER THE MAGIC TOUR!
I had booked the Discover the Magic Tour because it sounded SO fun! I mean, what wouldn’t love a scavenger hunt thru Disneyland along with some ride perks, a frozen treat, and a private Mickey meet-n-great!

Since the tour started at 10am, and you have to check in 15 minutes early, I decided this morning would be a sleep in a bit morning. We perused the shops on Main Street a bit, with DS loving the magic shop. He could stay there all day. We headed over to the tour check in kiosk at 9:45 and got checked in. We had two tour guides and they were wonderful. Very entertaining and good with wrangling the kids. There were about 7 kids and one tour guide always stayed in the front, with one bringing up the rear. We followed clues from land to land, looking for treasure chests. We got to go on Jungle Cruise, Pirates and Buzz without any waits, that alone is worth the cost on a busy Spring Break Sunday! We also took the raft over to the island to look for the treasure. At the end, we put our puzzle pieces together and headed off to Mickey’s house! Mickey sat and listened to our guides explain the fun things we had done, and Mickey gave each person (adults too!) a Discover the Magic lanyard w/ medal and also a pin, my son that that was AWESOME! Then Mickey posed for a group and individual pictures (there is a PhotoPass photog here as well). We were then treated to frozen apple juices in a souvenir cup. That is when the tour disbanded and we were on our own again (about lunch time).

DS played in Chip’s tree house for a bit and we decided we were hungry. First we tried Big Thunder BBQ (without reservation) and the wait was 45min+. So we went to Village Haus. It was nice to sit outside and relax. DS had their pizza and he liked it. I don’t remember which burger I tried but the burger was fine and the rest of it was okay.

We swung by Autopia and grabbed a FastPass next.

We took off from there and hit up Space Mountain. Neither myself or DS had ridden this before so we were willing to jump in the 40min standby line, plus it would put us right about our return time for Autopia. We both loved it! He truly has become a roller coaster junkie as of this trip.

Next we went over to Autopia to use our FP. DS spent $5 on the plastic driver’s license photo booth afterwards. The thought of him with a real license in 7yrs makes me cringe, let’s hope he improves haha.

We had not ridden the monorail yet this trip so we decided to hop on. I’ve never waited so long for it before. The line was all the way down the ramp to the ground. But it was neat to peek in the fences around Nemo while we waited.

After our round trip on the monorail it was dinner time and since we were close to it we decided to try the Plaza Inn chicken dinner. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Whatever seasoning they use is WONDERFUL. The chicken was tender and moist, the green beans fresh and had a “snap” to them. Absolutely a do-again meal for me. DS wanted “his own” dinner, not to share so he opted for the adult size pasta (red sauce) and it was not a hit. The sauce or noodles, not sure which, were watery and runny. He ate some of it then ended up with my drumstick. Lesson learned. Maybe the alfredo is better?

We decided to head back to the hotel, even though it was early. We meandered down Main Street, stopped in the little old time theater so DS could watch a few black and white cartoons, then headed to the hotel and he hit the pool for awhile and I did laundry! The Tropicana has 2 washers and 2 dryers. I had no problems with them – but do check the lint trap it was quite full. I had bought a travel/sample size of detergent at Target the day before so this worked perfectly. I believe it was .75 to wash and .75 to dry?

This night we realized we were on the downhill slope of our trip…..must admit that made me a bit sad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: