Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Medical ID bracelets

I'm thinking I should get a medical id bracelet. I'd rather have one that was cute and fun and girly. However, I do want it to clearly be a medical id. I was looking at some of the ones with the plastic bands that you can change the color on.

As I was searching on here, a few old threads (four or more years old) about medic bracelets mentioned EMTs don't notice that type, thinking they are just a "cause bracelet". Do you think that is still the case, or are they now more likely to check any bracelet just in case?

Any suggestions on a good place to order from? I also like the beaded ones, but thinking as a preschool teacher, the plastic ones will hold up better. It doesn't need to be a Medic Alert subscription kind as I think I can quickly convey the important information on the bracelet itself. Any thoughts? I've seen so many companies online, I just don't know where to go.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I would still suggest www.medicalert.com as the best place.

They have a large variety of styles, not just the plain stainless steel bands most people are familiar with. They have some plastic ones, some inexpensive bead ones and some really fancy ones with Swarovski crystals.
http://www.medicalert.org/products/medical-ids

You may be able to convey the information on the bracelet most of the time, but one of the points of having the bracelet is having the ability for emergency workers to be able to have access to the information in case you aren't able to.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 08-13-2014 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Fixing autocorrect
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
Starwind
Mouseketeer

I second getting an actual Medic Alert one for the reasons Sue noted.

-SW
Starwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
PinkBudgie

Thanks, I check those.

Further question- do they actually take the time to call for medical information in an emergency?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Thanks, I check those.

Further question- do they actually take the time to call for medical information in an emergency?
Yes

They will take care of life threatening emergencies - heartbeat, breathing, bleeding immediately, but may use some information written on the bracelet.
Then information from Medic Alert would be helpful, especially if it's not obvious what the problem is. By calling the Medic Alert phone number, they can get names and phone numbers for your family/designated contact and doctor.

On my DD's Medic alert bracelet, it says she has cerebral palsy, epilepsy, she is non-verbal and has a urinary ostomy.
By calling Medic Alert, they would have access to her full list of medications, a few more medical conditions/allergies, a bit more information about the conditions listed on her bracelet plus all the contact information.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
DL2WDW
Earning My Ears

I have used a Road ID for years as my medical alert bracelet.
I have never had a problem with a EMT not reading it and it can hold a lot of info on it.
DL2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
PinkBudgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Yes

They will take care of life threatening emergencies - heartbeat, breathing, bleeding immediately, but may use some information written on the bracelet.
Then information from Medic Alert would be helpful, especially if it's not obvious what the problem is. By calling the Medic Alert phone number, they can get names and phone numbers for your family/designated contact and doctor.

On my DD's Medic alert bracelet, it says she has cerebral palsy, epilepsy, she is non-verbal and has a urinary ostomy.
By calling Medic Alert, they would have access to her full list of medications, a few more medical conditions/allergies, a bit more information about the conditions listed on her bracelet plus all the contact information.
Thank you for the info. Very helpful! I have a lot to think about. This would be to indicate my food allergies should something happen when I'm by myself. I'm sort of waiting to see if I have another new one, but I may never know for sure what caused my most recent reaction. I'm not on any special medication- just carrying my epi pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL2WDW View Post
I have used a Road ID for years as my medical alert bracelet.
I have never had a problem with a EMT not reading it and it can hold a lot of info on it.
I just heard of this for the first time the other day on FB. I went to the site and it does seem to fit a lot on there.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Thank you for the info. Very helpful! I have a lot to think about. This would be to indicate my food allergies should something happen when I'm by myself. I'm sort of waiting to see if I have another new one, but I may never know for sure what caused my most recent reaction. I'm not on any special medication- just carrying my epi pen.

I just heard of this for the first time the other day on FB. I went to the site and it does seem to fit a lot on there.
That's where Medic Alert is nice - your profile on their website an be edited at any time.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
PinkBudgie

Yes, that is a good point. I was just thinking that as I typed it.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
NeuroCindy
Earning My Ears

I know I'm a week late for this. But if you haven't ordered yet, I love Fiddle Dee IDs http://fiddledeeids.com/ I love them. My ID is silver with pink detailing and my the chain is hearts linked together.
NeuroCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
NeuroCindy
Earning My Ears

Also I use an app to create a background on my phone. My lock screen is my medical alert with contacts.
NeuroCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
PinkBudgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroCindy View Post
I know I'm a week late for this. But if you haven't ordered yet, I love Fiddle Dee IDs http://fiddledeeids.com/ I love them. My ID is silver with pink detailing and my the chain is hearts linked together.
No, not too late. I still haven't picked one out! I haven't seen that place, so I'll check it out.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroCindy View Post
Also I use an app to create a background on my phone. My lock screen is my medical alert with contacts.
The new update to iOS 8 for iPhone includes being able to add medical information to your lock screen.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...new-health-app

Another thing to think about is how well the bracelet will hold up over time.
My sister got an expensive engraved Medical ID at a jewelry store less than a year ago.
Two weeks ago, she was showing me her medical ID bracelet, which she very much liked - until she turned it over to show me the engraving and noticed almost all the engraving had worn off on both the inside and the outside of the bracelet. It was silver, which is a relatively soft metal.
My daughter's MedicAlert bracelet looks exactly the same now as when she first got it.
After looking at my DD's MedicAlert ID bracelet, she decided to get one from MedicAlert instead of going back to the jeweler or getting one from somewhere else online.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
PinkBudgie

I didn't know that about the new phone. I don't have an iphone but that would good for those who do.

Good thought about the durability. I guess I'm still debating if I actually need one. If I couldn't give myself an epi for some reason, someone would have to read it pretty quick for it to be of help. It seems like it would be too late by the time the EMTs read it. Also, I'm normally with someone I know when I eat so they would know what was happening anyway. So, I don't know. Still thinking.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #15
SoonerSarah
DIS Veteran

For all of the reasons listed by Sue, my daughter also has a Medic Alert bracelet. I went with the typical stainless steel bracelet because it would be the most durable and easiest to keep clean for my messy girl.
SoonerSarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: