Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
madelyn
DIS Veteran

Just returned from our first cruise on the Wonder, a 4 night, with our kids 15, 12 and 7. If you are able to wear the baby in a sling or other carrier, I think that would help a bunch. I saw a few families struggling to fit a stroller in the dining areas or in the hallways and was thankful we never took a cruise (with a stroller).
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Personally, I don't think it's right to make the older kids wait until the youngest is an age where you think they will have the best time. The 11 yo is already past the magical age, and your 8 & 5 yos are perfect as far as that timing goes.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #18
Stephandy03
Mouseketeer

We took our kids to WDW when they were 4 yr and 6 mo. It was the best trip because my 4 yo son loves everything, and my 6 mo daughter was just content to ride in a Mai Tai carrier the whole time. She napped on several rides and had a great time. Of course, she doesn't remember but it was an easy trip. I agree with PP who said toddler age is probably harder since they are active.
Disney Wonder 12/31/2013 NYE Cruise Galveston to Cozumel
Disney Dream 11/24/2014 Thanksgiving Cruise Bahamas
Stephandy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #19
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saamh View Post
Your older kids are the perfect age to go now. think a 5 month old would be easier on a cruise than an 18month - 2 1/2 year old. If I was in your shoes, I'd go now and then again when the baby is 3 or older. The thought of chasing a toddler around on the ship and trying to keep him/her away from the pools while big brothers/sisters are swimming is exhausting. We cruised for the first time when my youngest was 2 1/2 and although we had an amazing time, I'd wished I'd waited until she was 3 and could go in the pools.
I agree! Before walking/crawling-age is probably the easiest stage for the next few years. Do it now while you can! It may not be the best stage for getting good sleep but at least they stay where you put them. Once they're walking, I think it's much harder for the parents since kids have to be potty trained to go in any pools. It's a never-ending chase.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #20
cigarboo
Mouseketeer

Our family went on the Magic with a 3yo and a 5mth old who are now 13 & 10 now. Only you know your children best, but if it were me, I would definitely go for the cruise.

I thought 5 months was perfect in a sense that
1)baby is immobile, contained sort of just goes where you go, like an extra appendage. Not too heavy, but sturdy enough to handle easily, but you don't have to run after her.

2)Baby's not putting everything in her mouth(except her own things) She's probably not as exposed to germs/viruses as she will be, once she gets walking/exploring. When I took my 18 month old, he was touching/mouthing stuff, not surprisingly, ended with a stomach bug.

3)I was nursing, so no bottles and baby food to deal with. Even if you're not nursing, it's still prior to solid foods, so you don't have to worry about bringing and mixing cereals or baby foods.

4)Baby went to flounders/nursery every night from 6-10pm and basically slept(he was used to a routine where he got his evening bath and went to bed for the "night" at home. I did the same thing on the ship where I gave him his bath and immediately ran him to the nursery where I put him in a crib and they turned off the lights and he was out. Gave me a break where I could have dinner and see the show with the rest of the family. Then it was feeding time again, so picked him up from nursery, nursed him and off to bed he went for the next chunk of time.

We've really enjoyed all our Disney cruises(5 now). The kids have gone from the "I don't remember" phase, to a nice stretch of years where they both were so amazed by all the characters and shows, to now where they love Disney cruises...but we don't schedule around characters anymore. We still love the shows because they are entertaining and well done, but it's not the same as when they were younger. Oh what I would give, if I can turn back time!

Your older kids are at the perfect age. Time goes by quickly and I don't think they can really wait for baby to be old enough. I mean, they can but it's different. My regret is that I didn't buy more pictures during that cruise when Baby was 5 months. I only bought 1 8x10 because it seemed expensive back then... but now I would pay 100x more to get a few more photos. So definitely think about a photo package and taking the time to take family photos.
cigarboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #21
jkmommy
Earning My Ears

I have to agree on the pictures. Both of my kids' first experience on a beach was at Castaway Cay and the professional photos of them in the sand and the ocean for the first time were well worth the cost of the photo package we bought. We also got beautiful family portraits done that we have hanging up at home.
jkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: