Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
renae3
Mouseketeer

Go now or wait??(kids ages)

Hi everyone. I have a cruise booked for mid Apri, 4 day on the magic. I have always wanted to cruise, but have always had a reason not too, and once again I have my doubts. We are a family of 6, my boys are ages 11 and 8 and my girls are ages 5 and 5 months! Hence, my hesitation!

I think all the older ones would have a blast, it's the baby I am worrying about. Her age is a concern along with she is not a good sleeper and hates the car! We live in nj, so would fly to Orlando, do a few days in disney and then the cruise.

The thought of traveling with her is overwhelming (hating the car) and then my concerns is she won't sleep, could be a nightmare And not a vacation!

With that said, should I wait and go another time when the baby is older? Or do I risk it and just go now? What would you do??? By the way we love disney and the kids have been 5 times! Thanks!!!!
renae3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3 View Post
Hi everyone. I have a cruise booked for mid Apri, 4 day on the magic. I have always wanted to cruise, but have always had a reason not too, and once again I have my doubts. We are a family of 6, my boys are ages 11 and 8 and my girls are ages 5 and 5 months! Hence, my hesitation!

I think all the older ones would have a blast, it's the baby I am worrying about. Her age is a concern along with she is not a good sleeper and hates the car! We live in nj, so would fly to Orlando, do a few days in disney and then the cruise.

The thought of traveling with her is overwhelming (hating the car) and then my concerns is she won't sleep, could be a nightmare And not a vacation!

With that said, should I wait and go another time when the baby is older? Or do I risk it and just go now? What would you do??? By the way we love disney and the kids have been 5 times! Thanks!!!!

I think this is really up to you. It sounds like the baby will require some special effort and attention. Some people would find that level of attention to make the trip not worth it, while others would say the benefits of the trip outweigh the extra effort of the baby. Everyone would be correct, because they would be choosing for themselves.

I suggest you try to relate the cruise to something you have done that would be similar, and see what you think. Of note, Walt Disney World is NOT similar to the cruise. WDW is a lot of go go go, whereas the cruise is much more relaxed. If you have been to an all inclusive resort, I think the cruise would be similar, but with a much smaller stateroom vs the hotel room of a resort. Your older kids would have a fair degree of autonomy on the cruise, and even the five year old would likely spend a fair bit of time in the kids club. So unlike WDW, you would not be constantly checking on the safety and well-being of the big kids. However, you would have the baby with you most of the time. There is a nice nursery, but that does cost by the hour.

Good luck with your decision!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Dasha Hermosilla
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3 View Post
Hi everyone. I have a cruise booked for mid Apri, 4 day on the magic. I have always wanted to cruise, but have always had a reason not too, and once again I have my doubts. We are a family of 6, my boys are ages 11 and 8 and my girls are ages 5 and 5 months! Hence, my hesitation! I think all the older ones would have a blast, it's the baby I am worrying about. Her age is a concern along with she is not a good sleeper and hates the car! We live in nj, so would fly to Orlando, do a few days in disney and then the cruise. The thought of traveling with her is overwhelming (hating the car) and then my concerns is she won't sleep, could be a nightmare And not a vacation! With that said, should I wait and go another time when the baby is older? Or do I risk it and just go now? What would you do??? By the way we love disney and the kids have been 5 times! Thanks!!!!
We're going with a 7 month old in December so I hope it works for you! (And me!)

My 2 cents... With your kid spread out like that you probably do loads of stuff with your 4th you maybe never dreamed of doing with the 1st. I am optimistic our trip will be great and I hope you have a great time too. Our boys (6 and 4) LOVED the cruise last year and loved the autonomy of the kids club. I think you may find you end up with the little one only a lot which might be nice.
Dasha Hermosilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I realize I have no experience in this matter. But seeing this babies with the Princesses is ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS. If you are going to cruise as a family, DCL is clearly the best.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

granted, I'm getting to old fogey stage.... But I can't imagine doing WDW with an infant.
Taking one on a cruise, yes.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

If you wait until the baby is older, your other kids have the potential to "age out" of the magic stage (they would probably still enjoy it but it won't be that wonder of "this is all real" kind of thing).

Go, be flexible, and realize that it may not be perfect but it will be.

PS - does she hate the car or the car seat? If it's the car seat than cruising should be okay because it's rare that she'd have to be restrained much.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvlprof View Post
granted, I'm getting to old fogey stage.... But I can't imagine doing WDW with an infant.
Taking one on a cruise, yes.
People told us not to take our son to WDW when he was younger because "he won't remember it". I enjoyed it though because fortunately his ability to have a great time wasn't limited by his ability to remember it when he's older. Had we been cruise people, I'm sure we would have taken him on a cruise at that age also.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
jkmommy
Earning My Ears

You know your kids best, of course, but we just got back from a cruise with a 12 year old, a 3 year old and a 6 month old. The older two loved it and the little one did great. She got so much special attention on the ship, from the nursery staff, crew and characters, and even from the other passengers. The pictures I have of the princesses holding her in her little dress and of her in her Tinkerbell dress on pirate night are priceless.
jkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
SG101
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
If you wait until the baby is older, your other kids have the potential to "age out" of the magic stage (they would probably still enjoy it but it won't be that wonder of "this is all real" kind of thing).

Go, be flexible, and realize that it may not be perfect but it will be.

PS - does she hate the car or the car seat? If it's the car seat than cruising should be okay because it's rare that she'd have to be restrained much.
My thoughts exactly. Try not to stress, and I think you'll have a great time. Hope you have a wonderful vacation.
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Saamh
Mouseketeer

Your older kids are the perfect age to go now. think a 5 month old would be easier on a cruise than an 18month - 2 1/2 year old. If I was in your shoes, I'd go now and then again when the baby is 3 or older. The thought of chasing a toddler around on the ship and trying to keep him/her away from the pools while big brothers/sisters are swimming is exhausting. We cruised for the first time when my youngest was 2 1/2 and although we had an amazing time, I'd wished I'd waited until she was 3 and could go in the pools.
Saamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Some of the best advice I read here as a lurker on this topic was "the kids are young only once. No one knows what tomorrow holds."

That sealed it for us and made us book. Best decision with zero regrets, well on DCL that is.

Enjoy
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
lady9
DIS Veteran

I am not sure what your cabin situation is but if you have 2 staterooms, could you take a trusted babysitter? When I was younger (college age and before I married), I went on a few vacations with a family I frequently sat for. There were nights the little ones couldn't sleep so I stayed up and played with them. The parents got their sleep and were ready to do family things during the day. I was always welcome to go with them or stay at the hotel and sleep. They didn't pay me but did pay all my expenses. It wasn't a total vacation for me, but I certainly did enjoy much of it!
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
DreamBound23
Mouseketeer

Reading your post made me think of our situation. Our girls are five years apart. If you wait until the baby is the right age, your older ones are missing out. Go now...enjoy....and go again when she's older! A win win

4 Night Bahamas Dream Cruise - 11/27/11-12/1/11
7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 12/01/12
7 Night Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 04/26/14
7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 01/24/15

DreamBound23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
DreamBound23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Some of the best advice I read here as a lurker on this topic was "the kids are young only once. No one knows what tomorrow holds." That sealed it for us and made us book. Best decision with zero regrets, well on DCL that is. Enjoy
EXACTLY!!! This is why we are going on our 3rd cruise! Don't wait for when the time is "right" because it never will be. They grow up too fast. Enjoy life and to heck with everything else!

4 Night Bahamas Dream Cruise - 11/27/11-12/1/11
7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 12/01/12
7 Night Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 04/26/14
7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 01/24/15

DreamBound23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
wajones2
Mouseketeer

Never a perfect time...the travel and motion of the boat may actually help the baby sleep better. I waited until after 18 months to travel with my DD, but I don't have older kids. You have to do what feels right for you...I know at 5 months I was exhausted and had PPD & anxiety so I would not have enjoyed a vacation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: