Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #16
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

LOL...the Disboards couldn't handle how scared I was.
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #17
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

You are back already? That vacation went by fast!

But I am all aboard for the TR!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #18
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkyminky View Post
Hi Wally, okaerinasai.
Looking forward to your trip report but I have a question just out of curiosity.
Were your "ninjas" strictly Japanese speakers?

I'm Japanese-American, fluent in English/Japanese. My brother and his family lives in Japan. Other than my brother(who was born and raised in the US), rest of his family does not speak any English. Do non-English speaking cruisers enjoy cruising at all if they have no clue what's happening during shows and movies?

My sister in law is a huge Disney fan and when I told her that we're going on a Disney Cruise, she had mentioned that she wanted to go with us next time. My nieces are 7 & 5 yrs old, and I don't even know how that would work while they're at Oceaneers Club. I just wasn't sure how much the girls will enjoy cruising if they don't understand any English.
Would love your input!
Arigato~
Ok first of all welcome to my TR. I will do my best to aswer all your questions as best I can. 3 of the 5 Japanese people in my group are non English speakers. Also this cruise was full of Japanese tourists, alot more than last time I cruised. I spoke with several while onboard. I think this is due to recent TV specials here in Japan centered around the Fantasy and Dream.

I would say 100 % without a doubt that the cruise can be enjoyed without being a native English speaker. There is so much to do and enjoy that each member of the family will have a great time. As for shows...yes the comedy of Villains tonight could be a bit hard to understand, but the other two shows could be easily followed by those in my group...English Speakers and non English speakers alike. As for movies....do ou really want to waste precious ship time by sitting in a theater?

I would recommend asking your Travel Agent to see if a Japanese speaking waiter could be a part of your waiting team, but if not Japanese menus are available in all the dining rooms. As for the kids....I teach that age now and you will find that at first they are shy, but quickly adjust and will have fun. Again ask ahead of time if a Japanese speaker will be in the kid's area, but if not I would just give them a short list of some Japanese words and translations....example...ITAI(It hurts) or OSHIKKO(I have to pee). The staff is usually willing to go above and beyond to help.

Join THE DIS DAD'S CLUB Here![/QUOTE]
tokyodisneydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 AM   #19
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Junna's Coming of Age day ceremony

We interrupt this Trip Report for a real life update.

I Haven't updated in a few days and the reason wy is that my youngest daughter...Junna had her Coming of Age day ceremony yesterday. ...Yes the little girl that scared all the cows back in my 2007 trip report has grown up. Becoming 20 is a big deal here in Japan and the second monday in January is designated as a holiday for all those who have turned 20 the year before to be recognized as adults. (although most --including mine don't act like adults).

Anyway below are some pictures of her in her Kimono....and like I have already said the rental on that cost more than the cost of one person to go on the cruise. Just for the ceremony it was 160000yen. Yes count those zeros again....now go ahead and translate that into whatever currency you use on a daily basis....go ahead....I'll wait.

Trying it on and choosing which one

Final results after all the hair salon (at 5 am) and makeup...with her mom

Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #20
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Back to our previously scheduled program

So before this trip I had made a very ambitious list of everything I wanted to do this trip. as it turned out it was way too ambitious and due to circumstances beyond my control seeral things never happened. I'll tell you about those as we go along together. Now don't worry.....I still had an incredible time, but live and learn. Next time will be different and some things I would change. Other things like my room on the ship I wouldn't change for anything.

Ok back to the story.....after 28 hours of time traveling using cars, buses and planes our little group arrived at Disney's Allstar Movie resort. I went up to the counter and checked everyone in. They also gave us Mickey Magic bands. I had hoped not to have to use these as I had heard about many problems and glitches in the system that were being ironed out. They insisted that everyone was now required to use them. I found out a little later that this wasn't quite true, but more on that when we get to that part of the story.
Well I atleast refused to connect them to charging priveledges or tickets. They ended up being used as fancy room keys except in Animal Kingdom....again we shall get to that part of the story.
While at the desk i also got a Happy Birthday badge for myself (Dec.29th) and for Shuichi (Dec.23)...These turned out to be a GREAT idea and you will soon see why.
At the Allstar Movie we stayed in the Mighty Duck Section. This was funny because only I had seen the movie Mighty Ducks. So no one else in our group understood the theming.

Ignore the date...the camera was set on Japan time and never got changed. So it was the 27th and about 7:30 pm when we finally arrived at our room.

Here are the only pictures we took of the room...

Me unpacking my suitcase and

The towel mickey on the bed as we went in.

The first thing we did was turn off the air conditioner. My wife's body temperature can't stand any cold. It was a little warm outside, but definitely not that warm.

Now after all that travel time you would think we would jump in bed and get some rest.....no not us.....but that will have to wait till next post.

Last edited by tokyodisneydad; 01-14-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #21
DisneyZell

I'm on the edge of my seat! It is just wrong of the writer of a TR to keep people waiting.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #22
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

HOLY MOLY!!! I DID the maths on the 160000 yen!!! Now that IS a serious amount of money. But I guess your daughter is more than worth it.

Love your trip update and I had to when I read not everything went as planned. Yip, I know how that feels.

Room looks good btw, we have never stayed at ASSports, only Movies and Music.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #23
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell View Post
I'm on the edge of my seat! It is just wrong of the writer of a TR to keep people waiting.
I can't imagine who I learned that from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
HOLY MOLY!!! I DID the maths on the 160000 yen!!! Now that IS a serious amount of money. But I guess your daughter is more than worth it.

Love your trip update and I had to when I read not everything went as planned. Yip, I know how that feels.

Room looks good btw, we have never stayed at ASSports, only Movies and Music.
Japanese Kimonos are hand sewn using expensive fabrics and have many layers. To buy instead of rent would have been 600000 yen. Was it worth it ? To me ... Not really. I'd rather take another cruise. But to her mom and her grandparents, yes it was worth it.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #24
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Earl of Sandwich and first regrets

Ok when I last left you we had just arrived in WDW and checked into the Allstar Movie resort. After I get to the post where we check out I will give you rating and thoughts on the resort itself. Anyway back to the story....we decided to head to Downtown Disney for a bite to eat. To be honest I could see in the eyes of the rest of the group that they wanted to go to bed, but me I was anxious to see some of Disney even if it was just the shops. So we all agreed to meet outside our rooms (they were all side by side) at 8pm and get the bus to DTD. Upon arrival at about 8:30 pm the place was packed with people. I chose Earl of Sandwich as our eating spot. There were two reasons for this choice....1. I had eaten there before and found it reasonable and tasty and 2. It is right across from the pin store. I am an avid, but not overly crazy pin trader. You may spot my lanyard in a few pictures along the way.
Anyhowwww....back to the restaurant....more on pin trading later. Earl of sandwich was no exception for the crowds. We got in line and not too long after were in place to order. Now I didn't take alot of food pictures this trip, but I can tell you what we ate and how it was.
I had the Hawaiin BBQ sandwich and coleslaw, my wife had the Chipotle Chicken avacado.....both were really good and hit the spot nicely.

Of course my wife had to add tabasco to an already spicy sandwich. My one and only complaint about Earl of Sandwich was the cost of bottled drinks, but I guess for where it was even that was ok.

TAP TAP TAP.....TAP TAP TAP

Excuse me I hear something tappin on my computer screen....I'll be right back

Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #25
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

A Bonus Mystery

TAP TAP TAP...TAP TAP TAP

Ahoy mateys!! It is I Captain Hook and I am boarding this here vessel and taking over this trip report. Each of you that are reading are being put into leg irons until this mystery is solved. Someone or something has stolen my favorite mustache comb....the one with the gold leaf inlay and ivory handle. Whoever or whatever it is will walk the plank when I find them. I only have one clue so far......a FEATHER a grey and white feather. Since you are now part of me crew it is up to you to help me solve the crime......SMEE get me favorite hook!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #26
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

OFF TOPIC....Some of you who know me from Disney Pin Forum know that I am the mystery murder game creator and main writer...... so to make this trip report a little bit more interesting I decided to mix in a mystery....solve it and win a small gift from Tokyo Disney, but here is the catch ....everyone only gets one guess....so wait until you are absolutely sure. The clues will come within Captain Hooks occasional interruption of my real trip report. For example the first clue is the feather mentioned above. All I can / will tell you is that the criminal is a Disney character and that the clues may ot come directly from said criminal, but instead from someone tat character may hae come in contact with.

Ok back on topic.... After dinner I went over to the pin store. I traded for a figment pin with a CM and gave a little girl that was with her grandmother a free pin off my lanyard. She was very happy and her grandmother thanked me. I had brought over a 100 pins for trading and giving away. In the end I should have left them home as trading has gone down hill since my last visit, but more on that later.

After an all too brief stop at the pin store I went back to Earl of Sandwic to meet back up with the rest of the group who were still eating. We set a finish time of 10:30 and a place to meet back up after shopping. My wife and I headed for the World of Disney store. I passed by Santa Goofy taking pictures thinking I would be able to see him after shopping.... REGRET #1...He wasn't there after I finished.
When walked into the store the first thing I saw was a shelf with a variety of toy figures. They had a Pirate set with the Fab five and a Star Wars Fab five set. It was buy one set for 15$ or two for 25$.....I really wanted the Pirate set and either the Animal kingdom set or Star wars set. I vowed to get them towards the end of the trip after the cruise. REGRET #2 ....I should have gotten them then as I never saw the Pirate set anywhere else. So I didn't buy them....I have a bad habit of this as you will see several more times througout the trip.
After a little more looking around we headed back to the meeting point. On the way out we took some pictures with the Lego family.

I'll post a picture of that and continue this tomorrow.

Last edited by tokyodisneydad; 01-17-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
carolbeech
First time cruiser

Following along

I'm following along.....can't wait to hear more!
carolbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #28
DisneyZell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodisneydad View Post
TAP TAP TAP...TAP TAP TAP

Ahoy mateys!! It is I Captain Hook and I am boarding this here vessel and taking over this trip report. Each of you that are reading are being put into leg irons until this mystery is solved. Someone or something has stolen my favorite mustache comb....the one with the gold leaf inlay and ivory handle. Whoever or whatever it is will walk the plank when I find them. I only have one clue so far......a FEATHER a grey and white feather. Since you are now part of me crew it is up to you to help me solve the crime......SMEE get me favorite hook!!!
I'm not afraid of you Hook! Bring it on!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #29
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

Following along!

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #30
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Did the Undertaker just wake me up at 4:30 in the morning??

Ok after a quick dinner, pin trading and a little shopping we were headed back to Allstar Movie for a goodnight's sleep. Or so we thought. It had been a long long day and night and day and back to night again and we had had very little sleep. Arriving back at our hotel we got a better look at all the Christmas decorations that were still up. They really did a nice job even if it was just a value resort. Everyone headed to their rooms finally to get some rest. after all we had a early start the next day to see my sweethearts favorite Disney park....Animal Kingdom. The agreed meeting time for the next day was 7:30 in the food court. After a shower the wife and I laid down and quickly were asleep. Far tooo soon we heard an alarm.....It startled both of us and later we agreed that the alarm clock in our room sound like the entrance music for the Undertaker on WWE...(sorry wrestling fans here)
I looked at the clocke and was even more surprised to see it was 4:30. well with jet lag and body confusion there was no going back to sleep. In addition both our stomachs were growling. That is how we found ourselves in the foodcourt area by 5:45 am. Unfortunately it was not open yet, so we walked around and looked at Christmas trees. Returning just before 6:30 we were the first to order.

We both ordered the Big breakfast. The wife added in yogurt and milk. I added in strawberry yoohoo, which I pointed out to my wife was low fat . The breakfast included eggs, biscuit, hashed potatoes and bacon. Now here is where te quest for honey dipped bacon started...a friend and follower of this TR had recommended dipping bacon in syrup.

Did I like it???
Well I will let you decide and the I will tell you later, but here is a picture of the first bite.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: