DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #31
Sur
Love the Dis

I'm glad for those who bought direct, when it was first sold and lower cost. We bought VGF direct....someday it may help someone buy it from us resale. If it weren't for our first purchase, which was resale, we would've spent a substantial amount more buying that VGF as new owners, not add on.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #32
buck4568
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
if you are the sort who likes to walk into a new car dealership and pay full sticker price including the dealer add-ons and extras, then i salute you. you have done your part to help the salesperson buy a boat and further drive the economy.
Well, actually I am a salesman at a Ford store! And, I don't pay full price for things if I can help it either . I make all the money on some sales and little on others . But most everyone needs a car!

Times and the economy are different now. When we began in 1998 I would have never thought the points would be over $160 per some day. And I understand how my plans for DVC usage are different than others. But, when you figure out what the 10 night Med Cruise with a week in France prior, the 12 night Baltic cruise with two days in London, the seven day Alaska cruise, not to mention the upcoming Panama Canal trip and the 10 other Disney cruises would have cost me in CASH, my family I already have gotten more than a good return on my points purchases from DVC. The kids were 2 and 6 back in 1998 and we decided Disney was how we like to vacation. Now they are 18 and 22 and have been fortunate to have traveled like they have. Now, my wife and I can explorer the other options available with points.

Sorry for the rant!

DVC Member since 1998
Platinum Castaway Club Members
Dan , Pam, Melissa and Matthew
buck4568 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #33
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck4568 View Post
I like vanilla and you like strawberry! Different strokes for different folks.
It's not simply a choice but an evaluation of the value received or not. For there to be real long term value there has to be both guaranteed options and real dollar value. Remember we're discussing this in the context of buying in, it's a slightly different decision (though not much) for those that already own IF they own more points than they can use otherwise. NONE of the options are guaranteed and outside of a few RCI options that are unlikely to be available, NONE return a consistent dollar value making the options worthwhile on paper, much less in real life. DCL is likely the easiest to compare as well as the main focus for many and the return there is almost always between $6-7.50 pp compared to early booking discounts. At those rates, it's a money losing proposition, there's no way to make it out otherwise. Not only that, to use them consistently for such matters means you have to buy more points than you need otherwise. So you pay more to get the options that doesn't even pay for itself and then you pay even more because you now need more points than you would just for DVC, by a wide margin in many cases.

I know there are those that really don't care about the price or value, they just want it prepaid and be done with it. Their choice but the reality is that what they're doing means they are paying more long term in a number of ways for that "convenience". Really it isn't convenient at all because now you're locked in to one method through MS and have significantly more risk to accomplish the same task. Even for those that already own, DVC is marketable enough to give options that may be better for many than using points in this way.

So to use the ice cream reference, buying DVC to use for cash type options is Neapolitan when you don't like chocolate or strawberry.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: