Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Pay OOP 3 25.00%
Get DDP 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
ibela
DIS Veteran

would you get DDP or pay OOP?

We've been to WDW several times and I like getting the DDP because I have 2 kids under 10 and like to do a lot of character meals since I won't stand in long lines for pics. That said, this trip we're arriving in the evening and leaving late morning so we only have 7 full days but paying for 8 nights.

I went through all the menus assuming what we'd order to compare the cost. I included 30 snacks (at $5 each) and 3 resort mugs. My end result was OOP would be $70 less than the DDP for this trip. Caveat being that OOP we'd drink water with our CS and TS meals and have very few desserts (which 3 of 4 of us do enjoy when included but it's unnecessary).

On the one hand, it's only a difference of $70 for 8 nights and we'd get extra drinks, desserts, another mug, and additional credits to use towards breakfast CS if we wanted. On the other hand, why spend an extra $70 for food and credits we don't really need?

I feel kinda dumb even questioning an extra $70 when paying for a 8night trip to Disney but then that can be used towards ears or something. Thoughts?

Here's my TS places:

TS: O'hana dinner, Coral Reef lunch, La Hacienda dinner, 1900 PF dinner, Tusker House lunch, T-Rex dinner, Be our Guest dinner, Raglan Road dinner, Kona breakfast (OOP regardless)
Magic Eastern Sept 29 - Oct 6, 2007 TR:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1605878

WDW:
OKW: Aug 2014 (upcoming)
BLT/AKV Jambo: Aug 2013
BWK: Dec 2011
BC: Sep 2010
BLT/AKV Kidani: Nov 2009
SSR: May 2008
ibela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

2 kids under 10...go with the DP. I now have 3 adult kids...have been for several years now so no more DP for us.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
rachelp6
Mouseketeer

I say go with the DDP. That way you can order what you want and not worry about it.
rachelp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
catra121
DIS Veteran

I would go with the dining plan. $70 isn't a lot and I value the convenience and the overall experience (extra food/desserts) over the money. Not everyone feels the same of course...but that's where my priority always goes. I don't get the dining plans because they save money (always get deluxe dining if I have the choice)...I get them because dining that way, not looking at prices, and the convenience is worth a lot to me and I get it with the dining plan.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
ibela
DIS Veteran

I'm definitely getting DDP. When I calculated our OOP I did count the main dishes that everyone would actually WANT including some adult CS meals for the kids, the most expensive entree if that's what would appeal to someone moreso than anything else on the menu, etc. Looking at my #s again I realized I left 1 CS meal out and didn't realize the DDP price didn't increase for DVC so now the difference is actually ~$40 for the 8 nights so it's just too silly to pass up. I figure we can use some CS credits for breakfast and if we still have any extra credits left, we can convert those to snacks - I'm sure the kids would love to take extra Disney candy home with them!

Thanks for the feedback!
Magic Eastern Sept 29 - Oct 6, 2007 TR:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1605878

WDW:
OKW: Aug 2014 (upcoming)
BLT/AKV Jambo: Aug 2013
BWK: Dec 2011
BC: Sep 2010
BLT/AKV Kidani: Nov 2009
SSR: May 2008
ibela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
rebelbuddhist
Mouseketeer

You might want to use...