Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Rebbylicious
Earning My Ears

New here- Trouble with 1 vs 2 credit dinner selections!!!

I am booking my meal reservations- we are a family of foodies

The problem that I have is all of the top rated places to eat count for 2 table service meals and we have the basic dining plan.

Here is my dilemma (not specific with dates, it won't matter)
We fly in sunday and I thought it would be nice to have a good ts meal when we get in for dinner.

Sunday- Boma 1 ts meal (it was my favorite the last time I was at disney)
Monday- Chef Mickeys 1 ts meal - It's the day our trip actually begins, my DS5 will be experiencing disney for the first time, and he loves Mickey Mouse.
Tuesday- Flying fish - 2 ts meals- I scheduled this because it was rated the #1 best place to eat in disney and I wanted to see for myself.
Wednesday- Jiko 2ts meals- because I LOVED boma and read that it was even better.
Thursday- Ackershus 1 ts breakfast - because we want lots of characters in 1 place.
(that is our trip, we plan to use counter service for breakfast friday morning)

1- we don't have any dinner booked for thursday. Is there a very good counter service place in epcot that rates better for foodies for dinner?
2- We have 5 dinner credits and 7 booked. What do we eliminate or change? We are willing to pay for the least expensive one but not sure which one that would be.
3- is there something better than jiko or flying fish that only counts as 1 ts meal?

Can any foodies tell me what you would do or if you think I am missing an important place to eat/try? thanks!
Rebbylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Rebbylicious
Earning My Ears

Ok- so the more i read about chef mickeys the more I think I should change it. I will need to find another way to have ds meet mickey mouse. Not sure what to do...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbylicious View Post
Ok- so the more i read about chef mickeys the more I think I should change it. I will need to find another way to have ds meet mickey mouse. Not sure what to do...
Tusker house breakfast (YUMMY!!!) or Ohana breakfast both have mickey there and both are very good!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *2015 VGF*
julluvsdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Rebbylicious
Earning My Ears

are there any dinner or lunch options with Mickey? We were going to eat at chef mickeys for dinner. I am planning to cancel that due to the terrible reviews.

Answers to my other questions?? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Quote:
are there any dinner or lunch options with Mickey? We were going to eat at chef mickeys for dinner. I am planning to cancel that due to the terrible reviews.

Answers to my other questions?? Thanks!
I would never advise cancelling anything based on reviews on this site. You might like what they hate. and I can't think of any circumstance where you can expect "foodie" food at a character meal.

Mickey is a regularly appearing character at the following (besides Chef Mickey's)

'Ohana breakfast
Tusker House breakfast and lunch
Garden Grill dinner

Quote:
we don't have any dinner booked for thursday. Is there a very good counter service place in epcot that rates better for foodies for dinner?
Counter services places hardly ever rate for foodies. However, Epcot may be the best for that category. Try the Tangierine Cafe (Morocco) or Cantina de San Angel (Mexico) or the Katsura Grill (Japan). Personally I cannot rate any CS as VERY good but these are pretty good.

Quote:
We have 5 dinner credits and 7 booked. What do we eliminate or change? We are willing to pay for the least expensive one but not sure which one that would be.
Check the menus online to get a ballpark idea of what you'll be paying. For buffets, there is a sticky thread on the restaurant board with all the exact prices for buffets (at least as far as Disney has released them).

Quote:
is there something better than jiko or flying fish that only counts as 1 ts meal?
Sanaa is good. However whether it is better than Jiko or Flying Fish is a subjective question. It can be considered pretty close to Jiko but with more Indian influences.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

You don't tell us the make up of your family, but here's what I would do with at least adults:

Use DDP credits for ONE adult at Jiko and pay OOP for the other, and then do the same at Flying Fish. This means you still have a dessert to share, and I'd probably get an app OOP to share along with one of the cheaper entrees OOP.

For the kiddos, look and see which of the 2TS has the lesser expensive kid's menu OR if there are apps or an entree they might share with you. Since you're already paying OOP for one adult at each of these, you might be able to get enough to share and not buy any kid's meal at one of them.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Rebbylicious
Earning My Ears

those are great ideas

My family is

Me, my husband, dd15, dd14, dd10, and ds 5
Old 07-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
those are great ideas

My family is

Me, my husband, dd15, dd14, dd10, and ds 5
Is there any chance that dd10 will eat a kid's meal at one of your signatures? If so, you could still do the same thing.

Two adults pay OOP and two teenagers pay with DDP at one of the signatures and you share the two desserts. Then switch at the other signature

DD10 uses DDP at one of signatures and shares dessert (and maybe entree) with ds 5 who pays OOP. Then use DDP for one kid meal and pay OOP for another one at the other signature.

Does that make sense?
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
monaleigh70
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
You don't tell us the make up of your family, but here's what I would do with at least adults:

Use DDP credits for ONE adult at Jiko and pay OOP for the other, and then do the same at Flying Fish. This means you still have a dessert to share, and I'd probably get an app OOP to share along with one of the cheaper entrees OOP.

For the kiddos, look and see which of the 2TS has the lesser expensive kid's menu OR if there are apps or an entree they might share with you. Since you're already paying OOP for one adult at each of these, you might be able to get enough to share and not buy any kid's meal at one of them.
Well, that seems like a very good solution! My husband and I are returning again to WDW this November and have been tossing around the logistics of using the two credits for certain restaurants. I think for Narcoosee's we will both use the DDP because the entrees are pretty expensive but other 2 credit restaurants like Wolfgang Puck we could do that: use credits for one person's meal then OOP the other meal. I am a fish lover, DH not so much, he likes crab and lobster though, so whenever we go to seafood themed restaurants he usually gets the meat lover's options which can be some of the most expensive items on the menu. We might incorporate your suggestion for Flying Fish as well. Thanks for the great tip!
monaleigh70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 AM   #10
quakechicago
ADR-making addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
You don't tell us the make up of your family, but here's what I would do with at least adults: Use DDP credits for ONE adult at Jiko and pay OOP for the other, and then do the same at Flying Fish. This means you still have a dessert to share, and I'd probably get an app OOP to share along with one of the cheaper entrees OOP. For the kiddos, look and see which of the 2TS has the lesser expensive kid's menu OR if there are apps or an entree they might share with you. Since you're already paying OOP for one adult at each of these, you might be able to get enough to share and not buy any kid's meal at one of them.
You are brilliant! You just solved my dilemma, thank you! CRT threw a wrench in my plans but no more!

Last edited by quakechicago; 07-07-2014 at 02:11 AM.
quakechicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 AM   #11
quakechicago
ADR-making addict!

If I wanted to meet characters, at one meal, as a foodie, hands down Tusker House. Great food and fun.

That said we are doing both TH and CM this time because DD3 wants to go to as many as possible.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
rebelbuddhist
Mouseketeer

A calculator to try

[QUOTE=Rebbylicious;51770401time
2- We have 5 dinner credits and 7 booked. What do we eliminate or change? We are willing to pay for the least expensive one but not sure which one that would be.
Can any foodies tell me what you would do or if you think I am missing an important place to eat/try? thanks![/QUOTE]

You might want to try this calculator--- enter all your choices and it will give you some good information.

www.distripplanner.com
rebelbuddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
4HOLIDAYS
DIS Veteran

Just tried the calculator pp had a link to...great tool!
4HOLIDAYS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: